Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's your favorite dead game anons? What needs to be brought back to life with a reprint or fresh expansions? How bout the game you pull out to bring in new gamers when your regular meetup is dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/alien-frontiers-relaunch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dead as fuck but I still want more.

Alright, /bgg/, now that a new thread is up, let me throw a curveball at you:

Does anyone know a board/war game where you play only as a (not necessarily US) Air Force Commander in charge of Air part of the Air/Land/Sea battle in a single Front/Area/Theatre of the war? (Tactical handling of the planes is bonus)

So, you assign missions (CAS, Interdiction, Recon) to support your Army/Navy buddies, try to stop the enemy from achieving it's own, and win only when/if your buddies do.

There's always Hornet Leader and its derivatives, but those are solo, and don't have you supporting buddies playing the ground bit or another player managing the other side.

Something like what you describe would be pretty sweet though.

So you're looking for a team wargame, but the teams need to be split by branch of military instead of theater or operation?

I got Carthage used from some guy, and now I'm kind of sad that it seems the Ancient World series died. It seems like a cool system. Still, I'll probably get a shitton of mileage out of Carthage alone

What are some tense games? Only one I can think of is Twilight Struggle.

Tug of War

Depends on what you mean by tense. Timed games force tension by putting you up against a clock, games with 0 luck and very tight mechanics are tense by making you have to never fuck up. Games that take all your planning and then reduce it to a die roll are tense because fuck that d6 better show a 5 not a 2............... FUCK.

R.I.P Doomtown, you were too good for this cruel world.

(as a side note, anyone knows a any game that might be similar to what it was Doomtown? Conquest is out of question since is also dead as fuck thanks to GW)

Netrunner, Rex/Dune, Captain Sonar, Fury of Dracula and related hidden movement games, Redacted, various social deduction games, Chaosmos, battlestar Galactica and its cousins. Anything with some kind of hidden information as a central mechanic is a good bet for tension.

Twilight Struggle is certainly one of the best though.

How long before Asmodee goes full EA games and ruins everything we love?

1 year ago.

>tfw you will never get to play the second box of Necrons, Tau, Dark Eldar, and Imperial Guard.
Fuck Asmodee and their merger bullshit, and fuck GW for being their usual cunty selves..

>Favorite dead game.
Easy. The art and minis still hold up well, but the rules could use a fresh coat of paint, maybe a couple lessons learned from imperial assault and DOOM.

Anyone played this? My buddy and I got into the show and this looks reasonably entertaining but part of me feels like it could just be boring

Couldn't get back to you before the thread died. Actually, I'm running an Epic community with strategic articles and analysis myself. It's far from dead and actually gaining steam. They just recently dropped a new set.

The problem is that players are getting restless, if not downright pissed. Several people recently quit because of:
-A "you win the game" card that is unbeatable on average. Most of the fanbase doubted this until it hit Worlds, which leads to...
-B Invited unqualified people to Worlds for guaranteed $500+ payday on the hopes those players would plug the game to their magic circles. Didn't seem to work very well (some were pros, all were incredibly arrogant and believed they would whoop veterans at the game. They placed terribly)
-C The playerbase is mostly magic grognards (which has the above problems) and casuals (think Tom Vasal types)
-D Complete mismanagement of PR by Nathan, one of the company's employees. He talks shit to customers and goads them in public on twitter and BGG forums.
-E Worlds had the new set drop on the SAME DAY and it was considered legal. This was an absolutely boneheaded move. Epic vets couldn't believe how stupid this was. MtG pros and semipros thought it would be good. It was a disaster.
-F Splintered community over the above A-E problems, as to whether or not they're even problems let alone dealbreakers. Some like me were pissed, some left for good, and some plugged their ears and went "la la la".

But despite the very recent mismanagement of the game and community quarreling, the game is still growing and looks to be promising in the future. Nathan ate his words during Worlds about the broken deck and said they might have to do something about it, though he tried some serious mental gymnastics first. The community is slowly piecing a consensus together, whether that turns out to be right or wrong is anyone's guess. And they succeeded a promotion by encourage you to turn in banned MtG cards for an Epic starter

ok I'm curious. try to sell me Epic. also how frecuently does this thing receives expansions?

Nope, it's great. Better than the show.

Base set: Sep 2015 (KS)
Tyrants: March 2016
Uprising: Nov 2016
Digital ver: ETA Sep 2017 (KS)

The release schedule for the first expansion took 6 months, then the next took 5 months. The digital will be out roughly 10 months from that with no known set releases in the meantime.

6 months appears to be their goal, though they've been busier than usual because of Hero Realms (Star Realms is already a part of the natural workflow).

>There are no random packs
>1 of each card per set
>Max 3 copies for constructed
>No "trash" or filler cards
>Streamlines slow or clunky parts of traditional card games
>Base set alone is still competitive

how this compares to Magic as the creators shamelesly say things like "Send us your copies of Spy thopter and get a base set of EPIC!"

Bizarrely, the game is almost nothing like magic despite what laypersons say. It's just that Rob and Darwin (the creators) are MTG hall of famers so they filter everything through that lens. Sure, the games share some similar mechanics but reminder that magic came out first and therefore set the standard for the genre. It's no surprise that deviating too far would make the games feel alien, such as Cardfight Vanguard.

How so the game is "Bizarre"? I mean I know that you can use 0-cost units and then 1-cost units but where that gold comes from? can you make more of them or you're given one single coin each turn to spend it wisely kind of deal?

Really looking forward to your articles on uprising, even though I'm still just playing singletons draft.

Each player gains 1 gold on each player's turn and loses it at the end phase. It makes for some tense play where players attempt to play second, as it's reactionary, by doing as many non-gold actions as possible before that. But some times first priority is better. There's no chain or stack, so you have to just deal with resolutions. It significantly increases the tactical space.

Oh I see. you have to deal with whatever get's thrown at you. you said you have a Review site or something? i would like to pay it a view.

v-mundi.com

I've been moving and insanely busy for months so no update. Currently writing a general gaming article.

thanks. I've been thinking into get that base box but well, I haven't heard much of it and also White Wizard seems to be busy with their "Realms" games, good thing they keep giving support to Epic anyways.

What do you people have against TCGs? or better said blind booster selling games?

They deliberately sacrifice balance to fuel rarity and dick you in the ass by making you blind buy until you get what you want or overpay for singles.
The only possible upside is that they make it harder for every one to have access to the same pool of cards or whatever, but that only matters if you're obsessed with being a special snowflake.

There's no good reason for a game to have a blind or random buy component. It universally detracts from the quality of the game.

1960: The Making of the President

Oh... I wanted to know what you people thought about dice masters but I guess then no. the game, not the distribution model.

In dice masters defense, it's quite well liked by most people in spite of being booster-driven.

I was into it until a friend told me (this is around the first set) that there was an ultra-rare that every deck needs, fuck that.

blind buy pretty much kills any game, apart from a few old CCG's that hang on by being the biggest (MtG) or having recognisable IP's (Pokemon, Yugioh, etc).

Anything else tends to die a slow, agonising death regardless of the quality of the game. Which is basically what I'm hoping will happen to that new Star Wars card/dice game Asmodee made FFG put out, teach those greedy cunts a lesson.

Destiny also has the bigger problem of finding the dice to go with the rare heroes, as opposed to Dice Masters which gives you all the dice needed for each character in the starter packs.

POKemon and YGO also have the bemefit of being old and established
I don't think any game has succeeded which has come out post-yugioh except that Spanish one

Opinions on Onitama?

I think it's great. It's quick, simple, and I love how each game you have ways each piece can move. That means that whatever strategy worked last game probably won't work this time because it's highly unlikely that you'll have different movement cards*.

I also like how they have two win conditions: capture the master or get your master to their "home space". That makes it to where you avoid ending an intense game with a lack luster and anti-climatic stalemate. This way someone is going to win.

The box is shaped differently but I love the contents. They really dove into the them but the pieces are sturdy, well built, and look great. The rules are simple and concise. My favorite part is the board though. I assumed it was going to be some paper or plastic board you roll up so I was blown away when I found out it's made out of the same material as mousepads. The artwork on the board is phenomenal, I love how robust the board is, and to me picking up the pieces and laying them down just feels good. I think it's a really great abstract game and I don't regret buying it.

*For you math nerds, there's 16 movement cards and you use 5 per game and so there are 4368 different card combinations you can have
**Is that Kristen Stewart on the left?
In other news: Tabletop is back on youtube; who else is excited that the king of the online nerds is again playing games incorrectly for us all to enjoy (read this in the most sarcastic voice you can)

thanks
yes

Didn't he migrate to youtube red so he could flounder in ignominity?

You got it buddy

Geek and Sundry and Nerdist decided to create their own streaming platform called Alpha where they could take their popular shows and make them available only for those willing to shill out a monthly fee. Pretty sure it was in response to youtube red but I could be wrong. I'm ashamed I know this

Carcassonne is dead and pic related is the killer.

This death is inevitable.

Good game. Overpriced and comes in a horrible box though

Has anyone played this? It's only $5 on miniature market and I'm thinking about snagging it just because it's so cheap

Forgot the pic cause I'm a dunce

But carcassonne is a light entry weight game used to introduce people to the hobby. Its simplicity and iconic aesthetic are already sufficiently self serving. Whatever this thing is that you posted looks like another generic fantasy project that will scare normies away.

55 for mage knight core on amazon
i really wish i could buy this and play but sadly the heaviest thing my friends will play is small world :(

TMG doesn't put out unplayable shit, so there's that.

Mage Knight is best at 1-2 anyway, get that shit.

I bought it and I don't have anyone to play it with. Get it while you can

>not playing with the amazing fan expansions of tau, tyranids, necrons and imperial guard.

wait i thought you get 1 gold at the beginning of your turn and need to play with that until its your turn again.

or is that only with more then 2 ?

i fucking love carcassonne, sell me on this.

The day has come /bgg/. I can't fit Eldritch in one box anymore. The reckoning finally comes.

How the fuck do I organize this. It's like no store sells wooden boxes anymore.

Is Carcassonne the new thing to kill just like all those deckbuilders that tried to dethrone Dominion?

What's horrible about the box? It's not like a tin or weirdly sized. Fits on a shelf fine on the shelf of smaller boxes for me.

kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/alien-frontiers-relaunch

Just a couple hours left to back Alien Frontiers and I don't know whether to back this or just buy Marco Polo. Both look great and I can't decide and time is running out. Which one do you recommend?

Is this any good or just another memegame like exploding cats?

I liked it because it was entertaining. It's not some super high quality, deep, and heavily replayable game if that's what you're looking for. It was just quick, easy, and fun. Especially if you're into the theme.

Get Marco Polo. Far better designed with overall better mechanics. It completely replaced AF for us.

I already own Marco Polo and love it but I've always also been interested in Alien Frontiers. Are they different enough that it's justified to own both?

Opinions on this? Looks pretty fun. Would you recommend it?

This is campaign for north africa. have fun ever playing that, takes about 1200 hours according to the rulebook (no lie)

Played it once, liked it quite a bit. Nice blend of drafting, engine building and dice chucker.

Someone post the girlfriend games picture.
I want to buy my girl a game, preferable one that works well both as a 2 player and multi since we often play with a group.

I thought of Takenoko since we already tried it out once and she liked it, and she loves Pandas.

Also considered 7 Wonders Duel, but neither of us every played the normal 7 Wonders or anything resembling so I don't want to just buy it.

The Voyages of Marco Polo is what made my girlfriend fall in love with board games.
It's for 2-4 players and works great with any player count.

Souds like you want a more serious version of the XCOM boardgame.

>2-4 players
>any player count

Any player count? You just said it's only 2-4. What is it 2-4 or any? Any player count would include 1 and 5+.

It might be an old copy but here's the one I have saved. It's not on there but I'd also recommend Onitama as another good abstract game

sorry for not to answer before, I went to sleep.
the first set. so AVX? well as I recall now, yeah there's some SRs that are needed for some decks but most of the time also SRs are kind of crappy so the best bet are around the rest of the rarities.

Thanks senpai, I'll check it.
Thanks.
She really really really loves Splendor, and I really think Takenoko is a good pick since she loves Pandas and she liked the gameplay itself (gotta admit I like it as well, pretty smart).

He means that it works well at 2, 3, or 4. Games often include higher or lower player counts they weren't built for just to advertise it on the box.

i would buy marco polo if it didnt cost 50 over msrp currently

Never played it but it looks so fucking good that I'm currently creating my own.
Still haven't decided what the back of the cards will end up being.

There was apparently a very expensive Black Wisow that every deck needed

Can you share it once you are done?

Black Widow is now banned or better said, rotated out.
all from AVX, X-men Uncanny and I think YGO has rotated just this year.

also isn't like there's worse things to deal right now in the meta. Aka Elf Bard, a fucking basic card from the 2nd D&D set now (or used) to dominate the meta.

Hello guys. I'm looking for a tabletop similar to Zombicide that I can play with my friends. It should revolve around miniatures, fighting enemies as a group with a level up system

Descent 2.0 or Imperial Assault if you want a player to run the enemies.
Shadows of Brimstone if you don't.

>if you want a player to run the enemies
forgot to mention that. i'd like to avoid that

thanks i'll look into shadows

Descent also has a Fanmade bot someone linked a couple threads ago that can operate the enemies for you, so that one might not be out.

Redjack Automated Overlord, you need to print out cards (can be found on bgg), and it plays the overlord for you.

But even before that, you have like 2 free campaigns on the App and if you are willing to spend a couple of $ you can also get another campaign and a random dungeon generator.

Dead? Space Hulk Death Angel
Needs expansions? Libertalia
Ropes in newbies? Secret Hitler, for sure.

I thought of 7 Wonders Duel since she love Splendor and the engine building is very similar,
I know its highly rated and what not, but I am not sure I will enjoy it, seeing as I find Splendor a bit dull.

Anyone has any experience to share with the game?

Mice and Mystics any good?

Mansions of madness, eldritch horror, arkham horror or mice and Mystics for a co-op rpgish game. Which is best?

Also throw in Descent and Imperial Assault for consideration

I want a quick and easy push-your-luck game to play with some of my more casual friends/my family. Should I get Incan Gold or Celestia? Is there a better third option?

Hoppladi Hopplada!

if you can find it. its an amazing push your luck game.

Anyone knows when will Mage Wars Academy will get its next expansion? The Priestess and The Warlock were launched around september of the past year i think?

If you can get the Iello version of Diamant it's prolly a hair better of a game, but if I had to choose between the new edition of Celestia/Cloud 9 or the EGG version of Incan Gold/Diamant I'd go Celestia every time.

It looks like I'll have time to work on this tomorrow, going to go through the archive of the last thread for what people wanted changed, but just a general question to /bgg/ should I pull the "heavier" section and make that a secondary chart along with pulling some of the weightier games in each category?

I don't know about pulling them but I actually had no idea that the games listed were from lightest to heaviest in each category until someone said that last thread. So it may help to say that for new people so the don't bust out Sherlock Holmes on their gf/bf when they should have played Hanabai instead

Yeah I did mention it when I first posted it last year but prolly should've made a notation in the chart itself. Up until the last month or so I don't remember seeing many complaints about stuff like FoD and Ghost Stories, but it's got me thinking about changing it up. Did the same thing with the kids chart, BGG suggested age increases as you go left to right.

It's not bad, but it's not very good either. I played it a few times and forgot I even owned it.

I know they're on the kids list and you can't have too much overlap but I really enjoy playing Blokus and Tsuro. Yes they're pretty casual but my casual family loves playing it. Besides, Tsuro is fucking gorgeous holy shit

I don't get why people hate on tsuro. it looks great and its a fun, mindless thing to do while you're sitting around chilling or watching tv or something.

>mindless
You figured it out.
But I don't think anyone hates it, they're just underwhelmed by it.