Can magic be a finite resource?

Can magic be a finite resource?

Magic can be anything.

No, never, because magic doesn't exist.

Yeah, sure, why not? You might want to be careful about letting it violate thermodynamics in other ways in case of some dumb loophole wizard perpetual magic machine.

Can magic be a finnish resource?

Obviously up to the writer of your metaphysics, nigger. When it's finite it's usually handled as an invisible substance in the surroundings and/or stored in the body.

sure. some cunts 300 years ago sought to augment their power by capturing the essence of magic within items (small stones maybe) but somehow fucked up and condensed all of magic into their creations, eradicating it from the world at large. nobody can do crazy magic shit without one of the items on their person, and they get used up after a while, so people will hunt you down for them

Mana fucking sucks

Sure, just do it like Final Fantasy.

I like the idea that magic is a finite, but slow replenishing force. Like, it can't actually run out, but using it drains the overall supply to the point where no one can cast in an area without importing the stuff, possibly for days/weeks/months/even years.

Areas could probably make a decent amount of money culling the magic users in their place and selling to magic using countries who run themselves dry.

Or maybe it could run out if not carefully kept in check - or eventually it gets so weak and minuscule that it's better to wait a few years than to try and go to the effort. But with careful conservation, it can be kept in an almost unlimited supply - which inspires strong governments that want to keep that resource tappable, but controlled. But also causes problems with the merchant class, who would rather sell sell sell and only restrict to force prices up temporarily.

DM Anima with DnD mentality and it is very much finite.

>I cast benis sball :DDD
>Am a SPURDO SBARDE MAGE LEVEL 1
>Drink the ES botion

Dark Sun. Not quite finite, but clearly dwindling with no chance to recover.

I've played plenty of vidya with that as a central plotpoint.

No, it is quite literally impossible for Magic in any universe, given any understanding or interpretation of the concept, to be a finite resources.

You fucking retard.

Ebin

What?

It was in an alternate universe in the Fairy Tail manga.

In one of the big weapons of the antimagic factions is a disk that's enchanted to JUST spin. All it does is whirl in place, eating up the magic of the area pointlessly.
Starting 'magic coal fires' sounds like an interesting plot point to me...

I rather liked that arc. Had the manliest flying cats, and not just pantherlily.

You know Mystara and Dark Sun exist, the former about magical cultists inadvertently stealing the entirety of magic from an entire world, and the latter about magic eating away at the life force of everything in the vicinity with each spell

These threads are obviously meant to be brainstorming threads.

Sure.
What is the source of magic ? something slowly generated by the world ?

They dislike the change because Oblivion was a huge step toward the setting becoming more generic.

Inb4 Doctor Strange Magic where they steal energy from other universes in the infinite multiverse

Of course. Magic oil/ mana in ley lines/bound able spirits is a finite resource. Done.

I've seen magic as a finite resource before, usually as an oil analogue.
I've never seen it used compellingly before, but I don't think that's an inherent failing of the premise. Or is it?