Traveller General

Six Months In A Ship's Boat Edition

Traveller is a classic science fiction system first released in 1976. In its original release it was a general purpose SF system, but a setting was soon developed called The Third Imperium, based on classic space opera tropes of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, with a slight noir tint.
Though it can support a wide range of game types, the classic campaign involves a group of retired veterans tooling around in a spaceship, taking whatever jobs they can find in a desperate bid to stay in business, a la Firefly or Cowboy Bebop.

Previous thread: Library Data: Master Archive:
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q

Galactic Maps:
travellermap.com/
utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

Resources:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Traveller
zho.berka.com/
travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/
wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
freelancetraveller.com/index.html

Music to Explosive Decompression to:
>Old Timey Space music
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4&list=RD02FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=w0cbkOm9p1k
youtube.com/watch?v=MDXfQTD_rgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
>Slough Feg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7DJqiYonw&list=PL8DEC72A8939762D4
>Goldsmith - Alien Soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=3lAsqdFJbRc&list=PLpbcquz0Wk__J5MKi66-kr2MqEjG54_6s
>Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still
youtube.com/watch?v=3ULhiVqeF5U
>Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
youtube.com/watch?v=nz1cEO01LLc
>Tangerine Dream - Hyberborea
youtube.com/watch?v=9LOZbdsuWSg
>Brian Bennett - Voyage
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZioqPPugEI

Other urls found in this thread:

rpg.net/reviews/archive/16/16668.phtml
travellermap.com/
wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
travellermap.com/doc/secondsurvey#ex
www68.zippyshare.com/v/j2JwF9sO/file.html
www27.zippyshare.com/v/QfLzeTBv/file.html
www27.zippyshare.com/v/YaTzlZJB/file.html
www27.zippyshare.com/v/ukoPJcjE/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So, how common are starships in Traveller third imperium? The sense I have is than not so many for the trade it could have such a huge polity as it's the third imperium.

Holy shit what a sight
BRB gotta go to the fresher

>>Maint, need you down here.
>>Broken air recycler again, yeah.
>>Yep, spooge in the filter. Dang marines...

>going on tour of warship
>guide is a wry old salt
>points out Marine quarters
>"We call this Fort Knox...because it's where the goldbricks live"
His face didn't even twitch

I guess it depends on the wealth and TL of the system?

Even in some well to do worlds at standard ImpTech, in the adventures it has at most some SDB and doesn't feels than it has that much life in going and coming spaceships, at least for what I read, poor backwater planets tend to be totally void of them apart of the ocasionally free trader, it feels weird and very empty for such an enormour economy as the Imperium.

I think it's just kind of a failing of the medium, really. In a game like Vega Strike or Privateer you have a visual medium which lets you easily show how alive with signatures for ships and installations a planet's orbit is, but you don't get that information in a tabletop game; it's more difficult, in some ways, to portray in a non-clunky or non-repetitive way.

Also, Traveller tends to avoid the "single-biome world" trope a lot better than some other fiction does. Worlds tend to be more well-rounded, and, therefore, more self-sufficient. You don't see stuff like in 40k where there are forgeworlds that are literally nothing but factory covering the entire planet, necessitating massive constant imports, because the humans in Traveller act more rationally. Which is not to say such places don't exist, but rather that they're much rarer, as generally people don't want to colonize a hellworld where you can't grow food in the first place.

Being able to grow food only got you fed, people crave quality/exotic food. Europe didn't grow mace,pepper or silk, but loved it, so it sparked a world wide trade. Imagine the demand of terran foods than can't be growed or made elsewhere, only that would spark an enormous market, living in subsistence is well and good if it's the only thing you can have, but people crave those things. A fat or far trader suplying an entire world of trinkets it's pretty meager desu.

Is there a mongoose starship builder? The system doesn't seem that bad.

Yeah, the core rules are pretty good, it's just the supplemental stuff that gives it a bad rep. I don't know that there's a specific Mongoose shipbuilder program, though.

>So, how common are starships in Traveller third imperium?

The answer, as you'll see, is "It Depends".

> The sense I have is than not so many for the trade it could have such a huge polity as it's the third imperium.

While you're sense isn't exactly wrong, it isn't exactly right either. It's more of a trick of perception.

Leaving the game's various trade systems/rules aside, 90% of the 3I's population lives in 10% of the 3I's systems. Trade and shipping between THOSE systems is going to be heavy no matter which trade system/rules you use.

If you watched the traffic crossing the George Washington Bridge over the Hudson in NYC, you'd "perceive" a huge amount trade. If watched the traffic crossing the Podunk Bridge over Shit Creek in West Bumfuck, Arkansas you'd "perceive" a tiny amount of trade. How common starships are and how extensive trade is will depend on where you look.

Bringing in the game's various trade systems/rules, the "early" parts of Classic (what's referred to as Proto-Traveller) assumed relatively smaller ships in relatively smaller numbers carrying relatively smaller amounts of passengers and trade. The game's literary inspirations - especially the Dumerest series - featured that. The second half of Classic "expanded" those original assumptions; i.e. huge ships in huge numbers etc. etc. etc., and all the following versions followed that expanded thinking.

Despite that expansion, however, there are still many systems like West Bumfuck. The GURPS version's rules creates the heaviest trade volumes, yet under those rules a simple majority of systems have trade routes rated as BTN-8 or less.

A BTN-8 route sees scheduled shipping handling 1000 tons of cargo and 20 passengers a week while BTN1-7 routes have no scheduled shipping and may see one or two free traders a week.

So, as I've hopefully explained, "It Depends".

Greetings, Travellers.

I've been thinking about starting a sci fi RPG for my fellow nerd friends. We've been mostly playing D&D3.5, Pathfinder, and Werewolf: The Apocalypse over the past 12 years (with more or less the same core group). All of us have more or less ran a campaign or two over all those years, but always in a fantasy setting (except Werewolf which was modern times). Pretty much all of us dig Star Wars, some Star Trek, Firefly, and games like FTL, the last one being the setting I'd like to play around with. 5 or 6 guys fucking about on a spess ship in spess. We're a pretty casual group (no "that guy") Only one of us is This Guy, who has extensive experience in tons of different systems, both pen n paper, vidya RPG and miniature wargaming.

I've been going through a ton of different systems but Traveller always seems to come back on top. Now to the question itself: I see there is a new Traveller 2nd Edition out since 2016. Should I get into that or consider older/different versions? I'm thinking about a bit of a exploration/military setting with some added cosmic horror as a general background.

tl;dr: advice me best Traveller.

Well, from what I've seen, here's the rundown.

Classic is for if you want the greatest wealth of written material at the cheapest price. Expect roughness around edges, though, to be sure.

Mongoose v.1 has a goodly portion of stuff written for it. The books and writing have that modern polish, and I've heard the system described as more friendly and accessible. However, it's Mongoose, so a lot of the books are pants-on-head retarded in terms of balance and persist in being very expensive. To use any of the supplements, you'd need to do a bit of research on either the fixes people have come up with for Mongoose's criminally bad writing and editing, or seek out their errata, which can be difficult to locate. (Who needs errata? Our product's perfect! Now cough up $50!)

v.2 claims to fix a lot of the issues with the original. I don't know about that; I can't check it out because I like having money to eat more than I like examining their new product. There's already been chatter about how they've fucked up, though, especially in the department of drives. Big practical downsides include the fact that you may be waiting years for all the supplements to come out; Mongoose ain't exactly spritely when it comes to that.

Personally, I'm most fond of Mongoose Traveller v.1. I feel it's a good mixture of Classic's "has a shitton of stuff written for it" while simultaneously being more accessible to a filthy casual like myself. However, Classic is nothing if not respectable, and if you want to check that out you can look into podcasts like "Behind the Claw" and "Close the Airlock" to get a taste of Classic gameplay. Both systems, however, are fairly rules-burdensome; if rules-light is your thing, you might look into something like Diaspora. There's also Orbital, if you want a lower-tech game.

MGT2 has also annoyed third party publishers, who have jumped ship to the MGT1-compatible clone called the Cepheus Engine.

In general, I suggest folks look at more than one edition, because there's good bits you can steal from pretty much all of them.

If the core book is good, I don't need supplements. Our group is pretty RP heavy, and with both d&d and Pathfinder we only ever used core/advanced/bestiary with very few exceptions. If it has the base rules, a bunch of aliens and animals to shoot and various crap to loot, we should be good to go. I wouldn't want to be overwhelmed with options anyway. According to this rpg.net/reviews/archive/16/16668.phtml shit is now better in almost every way. I'll look into diaspora, because I do prefer rules-light, even more so because everyone will be 100% noob with Traveller.

So fluff wise most books are compatible? I've already seen a bunch of different systems including GURPS and d20, but I do think we can just handle the 2d6 system fine.

I got MgT2 just to show I wanted more Traveller, and I already regret it. The system feels rushed, and the hope that they cleaned up the editing and rules errors proved unfounded. It's almost exactly the same as 1e, but without the supplements. There's also the obnoxious fact that the core book references a few other books (like the Companion) which Mongoose has now pushed back indefinitely. Add to that the poor state of High Guard, and it all feels like a cash grab meant to ride the wake of RPG interest that D&D 5e provided.

Yeah, Classic, Megatraveller, and Mongoose all have a lot of mechanical similarities (though they're not 100% compatible) and fluff is all pretty compatible, apart from some of Mongoose's poor editing and writing. (Also GURPS Behind the Claw made some changes fans don't like; I also dislike what they did to the Sword Worlds, turning it from H Beam Piper's Star Vikings into an East Germany expy)

I mention supplements only because they're much more important in Traveller than in, say, D&D. At least in Classic and MgT1, the Core rulebooks are -very- CORE. They contain the bare minimum to play. Supplements add basically everything that would really help to color gameplay, like weapons, "chrome," ships, that sorta stuff. That's why people's ears perked up so hard at the news that v.2's core book was much bigger; there was the hope that we weren't getting an incomplete system which had been cut into multiple books to squeeze more money out. Not sure if that dream panned out.

I think the most important thing to remember is that the version hardly matters at all, in the end. It's the OTU setting which keeps pulling people back to Traveller. It's cool, it's very different from other settings, and it's modular into many different storytelling styles. It's why you get neat variant timelines like TNE where the whole universe collapses into a garbage fire. So if you must place importance on ANY document, it is in principle -this- one: travellermap.com/ and this one: wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page

Thanks a lot, gentlemen (?), I'll read more into it. I just hoped the v2 would be good enough since I assume it was also the easiest to obtain in print, being brand spanking new and all. But if its all shit anyway, its no use really. I'll see whatever version I can get my hands on!

Take a look at the Mega archive link at the top of the thread; it's really best to have a look see at all the systems and see what's good for you. That'll get you a good preview into what you're getting into before you start dropping $5 - $40 bucks on a physical book.

Have fun, and welcome to the club. Hope your first game goes well, whatever you end up using!

Fluff wise it's very compatible, and the mechanics are mostly compatible or at the very least easily convertable between editions. Some other user here should have the chart showing how to make those conversions.

What is everyone's favorite Sector or subsector?
Any particularly interesting planetfalls?

In a standard 30 dT ship's boat, if you strip out the passenger provisions and clear the cargo area, you have a clear area of roughly 918 square feet.
That is larger than the average 1 bedroom apartment in the USA in 2016.

What's the biggest trade vessel you guys have ever seen built for the Traveller universe?

(Pic unrelated, but boy is Vir Inter Astrum cool.)

Depending on the size of the containers, I don't know if I should be applauding or shaking my head.

I'll tell you one thing for sure; I'm definitely stealing the concept of a "SSRR" container for my games. Slick.

They've existed since CT. but they're usually carried inside a pressurized hull.

Did not know that!
Do we have specs on their capacity?

Classic's "Supplement 7: Traders and Gunboats" and "The Traveller Adventure" has them. GT's "Far Trader" has several other versions too, all detailed GURPS' usual anal retentive precision. You can find both books in the links above.

Depending on the rules set, supplement, and/or precision the referee needs/wants, normal cargo containers are 3.85, 4, or 5 dTons.

The SSRRs shown in >51534093's excellent illo must either be airtight, hold subcontainers which are airtight, or hold cargo which can be exposed to vacuum. Placing containers inside the pressure hull means cheaper containers can be used in far more situations.

That does not mean, however, that airtight shipping containers don't exist or that containers aren't occasionally carried in the manner 51534093's illo shows.

I wonder how you would go about building a container of that shape that could withstand vacuum conditions and ensure regular internal conditions for cargo. It's not a very good shape for a pressure vessel, right?

>It's not a very good shape for a pressure vessel, right?

Yup. Then again, will your players notice that level of detail and complain?

You're the referee. You decide where you need to spend time and effort on details. You decide whether the time and effort is worth it.

With Traveller it's easy to drown in unnecessary details.

>It's not a very good shape for a pressure vessel, right?

Yeah, but on the other hand, Traveller's materials science is pretty advanced, so I bet they could take a lot more abuse before failure.

Good points. I'll chalk this one up to rule of cool.

>I'll chalk this one up to rule of cool.

That's the best rule there is!

I searched and nada. I can wait I guess.
So there isn't a clear answer and it can go both ways? Okay, I will have IMTU ships are far more common, so getting a second or third hand star ship isn't that hard.

What media do you use to inspire your traveller games anons? I'm using pulp era(the equivalent of my country, bolsi-libros) books, Euro/Lat-comics and of course classic sci-fi lit like Dune, Fundation, Star wars and some animes.

>So there isn't a clear answer and it can go both ways?

Exactly. Lots of big ships carrying lots of trade worth lots of money flying lots of scheduled routes between a few big worlds AND a few small ships flying occasionally between lots of small worlds.

It all depends on where you are.

Films like outland. Series like The Expanse
All the Star Treks

>What is everyone's favorite Sector or subsector?
The Solomani Rim of course, because the rest of space is full of smelly horrible xenos.

Seriously though, there are some fascinating worlds in the Neworld and Aldebaran sectors.

Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Syd Mead, Moebius.

The New and Old Islands, definitely. I've been writing stuff around it for ages, nursing a private hope of publishing a splat on it some grand old day. As it exists in MgT1, it's a fascinating microcosm of conflict and intrigue with a lower-end tech level and very few planets. I love it. The idea just tickles the shit out of me that the truest heirs of Earth aren't the Solomani in some ways, but the people who bugged out before "Solomani" was even a concept.

From that bunch, I only know Moebius for sure.
Harder sci fi? Nice.

>From that bunch, I only know Moebius for sure.
I bet you've seen Syd Mead's stuff somewhere user. He's the whole reason Daft Punk exists!

As for the music, I do love my late 70's prog rock. It was I who suggested some of the music in the OP such a long while ago. I like it because it's from the same era that Classic Traveller comes from, and has the right "feel" to me.

Like you, quite a bit of pulp and golden age sci-fi because that was GDW's inspiration. Stuff like Tubb, Piper, Anderson, Vance, etc. Later writers are Pournelle, Drake, Steele, McDevitt, etc. (Drake's current RCN series really good.)

Movies/TV is stuff like Outland, Firefly, S:1999, etc. I stay away from Star Wars & Trek not because they're Star Wars & Trek but because they have "FTL radio" among other non-Traveller tech.

I also use a lot of history, action/adventure, & noir media.

From the writers, I Only read Vance (that guy is great), from the others who does space battles better (if at all)?

For a non player, can someone explain Psionics to me?

I know that: You've got a rating between 0 and 15, created at chargen and going down with each lifestage it's untrained. You need to find an institute to train it. Each initiation lets you build up one of three 'types' of your power, which is either some sort of psychokinetic teleport, a sensory boost or some sort of bodily augmentation, and that's based on your strength stat. What am I missing aside from that?

>For a non player, can someone explain Psionics to me?

Which version?

Finding Traveller-ish space battles in fiction is tough because such battles depend so much on the actual tech involved.

Pournelle's and Niven's various CoDominium/Empire/Motie stories probably comes the closest. Ship's move by fusion "rockets", there's a separate FTL drive, weapons are lasers and missiles/torpedoes, etc.

The setting has a "shared universe" series of books called "War World" and a few of those books have space battles in them.

The battles in Drakes' RCN series are good too, but the "propulsion" tech is very different, missiles are huge, and lasers are generally used as missile defense.

I've got the mongoose 5 book.

Sorry, can't help you.

So fellow travellers, i'm running my first traveller 1e session (since quite some time) this saturday and my knowledge got a little rusty.

Usually i would let the ship gunner roll "ship weapon skill"+ intelligence to attack a target.
But while reading the book again it says something along the line of
>Gunner rolls his "Ship weapon skill"
Any attribute modifier isn't mentioned.

Are attribute modifiers addet to ship weapons, as they are added to firearms ?

>Usually i would let the ship gunner roll "ship weapon skill"+ intelligence to attack a target.

Then do what you would usually do and fuck the book. Your game, your rules.

As long as you apply the same rule the same way all the time, there's no problem.

So, thoughts on Cepheus Engine?

Not really.

Anyone has good aslan art? I see a lot of complaints about the mongoose art but not so much "good" art seems to exist about them.

Just got caught up explaining why Traveller is so great to a friend, now the existential dread of remembering I never get to play it sets back in.

A pc game would do wonders for traveller, I dunno why doesn't exist.

Fanbase too small and autistic. EVE already took any niche a Traveller video game could have

I dunno, a small free trader based game could be good. Heck, perhaps a Patricia inspired game but with traveller would be awesome.

Interesting enough that I intend to give it a good concerted read-through one of these days, and it's nice that all the third party publishers don't have to put up with Mongoose's shenanigans anymore.

Here's a good depiction of one of the routine failures of Aslan "honor." It has the right mix of strange alien and familiar lion-esque qualities to get that uncanny feel just right, IMO.

And here's a more relaxed one that I think does them justice.

There were two back in the DOS days, Megatraveller: The Zhodani Conspiracy and Megatraveller: Secret of the Ancients. Both pretty decent for the era.

shit, I think I'd settle for a super basic trading game where you acquire passengers, mail, and speculate on commodities across a sector while dodging political nonsense and local law levels for extra dosh

This one's good, too. Even an unarmed female, one fresh out of an Aslani cryo pod, is a threat to be taken seriously. They evolved from large ambush predators (carnivore/pouncer stock), and are still scary good at it.

Nice, they look a bit more alien, but really they are lion people still.

Also how is like the relationship between Vargr and humans? Do humans treat varg like over intelligent pets? Did they breed them for they looks etc?

It's hard to say anything in general about the Vargr because they're so heterogeneous. A lot of Vargr reject the notion that they evolved on Terra, but there are also communities of Vargr that have integrated into Human space and have "Vargr-towns" on various worlds, and so forth.
They are legally recognized as sophonts within the Imperium and have all the rights that entails, though there might be weird places outside the Imperium that treat Vargr as something other than people. I doubt the Vargr would take it lightly, though, one thing they do have is pride, and getting a bunch of Vargr corsairs together to go kick over a human world that puts Vargr in cages is something any remotely charismatic leader could manage with ease.

>What is Elite?
Seriously check out the weapons, the cargos...

Commander Jameson/Captain Jamison is another one - the default Elite name is very similar to the name of the CT example character.

The creator of Elite insists it's all coincidence, though, and that Traveller had nothing to do with Elite. Funny, though, 'cause it's got so many similarities.

>There were two back in the DOS days, Megatraveller: The Zhodani Conspiracy and Megatraveller: Secret of the Ancients. Both pretty decent for the era.
They were super-cool and I sunk a lot of time into them back into the day. It was fun to actually wander around and explore Rhylanor, Regina etc.

Jump-1

Are you ready to rock?

Yes sir, I can boogie

The Solomani (BEST HUMANS) feel like the Vargr should probably be subservient to them, what with being uplifts and all. If they had the chance, they would treat them like a slave race. Seeing as they're on the other side of the galaxy to the Vargr, this is strictly theoretical.

Where do I find other people autistic enough to play this with me?
I'm at college for theatre, and everyone around me are fucking unmedicated ADHD fuckwits, it's easy enough to get along with them in a performance situation, but outside of that they turn into god damn idiot apes. Good enough for DnD 5e, but that gets tiresome.

>Also how is like the relationship between Vargr and humans?

As with so much in Traveller: "It Depends"

In the Julian Protectorate, the Vargr and Humans live together as social and legal equals. In the Long Night's Second Gashikan Empire period, the Vargrs and Humans conducted genocidal wars against each other. In the Imperium, some Vargr in some systems are fully assimilated, some Vargr in some systems are viewed with constant suspicion, some Vargr control their own systems, some Vargr in some systems are permanent second class citizens, some Vargr in some systems are jailed/killed on sight, and everything else in between.

It's Traveller. It always depends on where and when you are. it's always in flux, and t's never some autistic, binary, either/or, all or nothing, choice.

I like the idea of the solomani, but the nazi/comunist/fascist bad qualities undertone without ANY of they good ones make them saturday morning villians.
Cool, so it can exist but it would spark an intergalactic mini war if other Vargr knew?

>Without any good qualities

Read the Mongoose splat on them. It makes them pretty balanced, and gives a fair bit to appreciate. I still wouldn't want to LIVE there, but it's clearly an OK place to be.

>I still wouldn't want to LIVE there
B-but user...you already do

No, I live in the predecessor to the predecessor to the predecessor to the etc. of the Solomani Confederation. That's like saying Charlemagne lived in the French Republic.

>Cool, so it can exist but it would spark an intergalactic mini war if other Vargr knew?

What part of "It Depends" don't you understand?

During the Long Night, Gashikan killed tens billions of Vargr with nukes, bioweapons, and more prosaic weapons. They fought several race wars over several centuries. They did so much damage to planets in one subsector that the region is still sparsely populated in the Classic Era over a thousand years later. Vargr slavery still exists in the 3rd Gashikan Empire.

Despite all that, the many polities in the Vargr Extents and the Human/Vargr Julian Protectorate haven't wiped out the Gashikan Empire. Fought it, yes. Stopped it from expanding, yes. Rolled it back, yes. But they Vargr haven't combined to destroy Gashikan.

The Vargr are too fractious and mercurial to "do" big long lasting governments with big long lasting goals. Vargrs are far more likely to go off on their own in small groups rather than follow orders and directives from some distant authority.

Use the links above and grab Classic's "Vargr Alien Manual" and Mega's "Vilani & Vargr" sourcebook. Do a little reading on your own instead of asking for Cliff Notes.

That world of yours breeding Vargr like we breed dogs? It could see Vargr corsairs continually raiding it, it could be the target of a "crusade" launched by the new charismatic Vargr leader of a nearby system, it could be ignored because it's too tough, or all three things could be happening now, could have happened in the past, or could happen in the future.

It Depends.

>Read the Mongoose splat on them

Ignore Mongoose's shit because, like nearly everything from Mongoose, it's shit.

Use the links above and read Classic's Solomani AM, Mega's "Solomani & Aslan", and GT's "Rim of Fire" instead.

Of the three, Classic gives off the biggest Nazi/Stalinist vibes. As it always does, fan perception then dialed those vibes up to 11. When you read carefully, however, and pay attention to what you're SHOWN instead of what you're TOLD, the picture is rather different. The Confederation is patchwork of wildly varying multi-system governments. Some echo 1984, some are libertarian paradises, some are in between. The Confederation has even had single worlds secede and then successfully hold off any attempt to force them back into the fold.

Traveller has always been about wheels within wheels. The Zhos were mind rapers, then the happiest most stable human empire, then something else. The Aslan were a Major Race, then frauds, then it didn't matter. Things are never what they seem to be on the surface.

>When you read carefully, however, and pay attention to what you're SHOWN instead of what you're TOLD, the picture is rather different. The Confederation is patchwork of wildly varying multi-system governments.

All of which is covered in the Mongoose book you just shit on. What, exactly, is your problem with it?

First, it's from Mongoose.

Second, it changes rather than builds on previous canon/lore.

There's a difference between fixing something and changing something. The current T5SS project is an example of fixing something. Too much of Mongoose's work is change for change's sake. Mongoose makes changes for the lulz and little more.

The latest version of High Guard is a good example of this. Rather than fix Traveller ship combat, rather than keep Traveller ship combta Traveller ship combat, Mongoose has made it Star Wars Lite because, apparently, we're all too fucking stupid to understand or want anything in sci-fi other than Star Wars.

It's funny to think the Solomani of the 46th century would probably lump us all in together
>so there was this Charlemagne guy who landed on the moon and fought Hitler until he was killed by Napoleon the Great, son of Beowulf

I will ask you again.

What is your problem with Mongoose's Solomani splat? Not "What is your problem with Mongoose's High Guard splat", their SOLOMANI splat. What, specifically, do you dislike about it? Can you even point to anything specific about that book, or will you divert off to another totally unrelated splat next?

Having been in your position, check the CompSci, Engineering, Science and Civic Design classes. Keep an eye out for incoming students in the theatre dept, you can catch them and steer them away from what they majority becomes.

hey traveller general I haven't popped in lately but just found this on my hard drive so hey

woof woof yo

>No reply
I think you just told him.

How do you fluff the other crew members on a vessel? If I have a small party, but they want a ship with a crew of 8 or so, should I just run the other crew members myself?

Yep. Do a quick roll up of each one so you have stats, and give them goals and issues. And don't forget, when you have NPCs aboard you don't have to be afraid of killing off PCs.

Well it depends. If the campaign resolves around ship stuff (spaceship combat & the like) then it may be worthwile to just have the NPCs on a payroll but letting the players roll for them. If the NPCs are just needed for filling in crew slots (pilot because none of them have it, steward ect) then just assume that they are doing their job and ignore them completely.

Different approach than mine () but it's good advice nonetheless. Though if the numbers would come out to something like 3 players and 5 NPCs then having all of those NPCs being an active member that always participate will be stealing the spotlight a bit too much imo.

True, but you are gonna spend months on a ship with these people. It's a good idea to have a sheet of their abilities and life path, because the players will either be interacting with them frequently, or they might as well be computer systems.

On travellermap.com, what do the culture and economics stats for each system mean? Where would I find the rules for those?

Those are mostly T5. The Traveler Map should have a page that names them all, but they are supposed to be largely relative values instead of absolutes.

travellermap.com/doc/secondsurvey#ex
About halfway down the page. Not much, but something.

Maybe this will help for NPC motivations.

Three Line NPCs - Johnn Four
www68.zippyshare.com/v/j2JwF9sO/file.html

Arc Threads
www27.zippyshare.com/v/QfLzeTBv/file.html
Character Webs
www27.zippyshare.com/v/YaTzlZJB/file.html
Species & Societies
www27.zippyshare.com/v/ukoPJcjE/file.html