So, a monster comes to your town. Not a dragon or a lich or an ice giant, "just" this big hulking goblinoid...

So, a monster comes to your town. Not a dragon or a lich or an ice giant, "just" this big hulking goblinoid. The one guard who tries to stop him from strolling down Main Street gets backhanded with enough force to snap his neck, and the brute ignores all the other guards. After killing that guard, all he does is settle down in an alley and seem to sleep. But he always wakes up and shoots anyone who gets in arm's reach a dirty look, like he's daring them to do something.

Everyone's afraid to get him angry. Even the town guard, all dozen of them (or at least they were a dozen strong until poor Mich got swatted like a fly) doesn't think they can do anything against him with their rusty shortswords.

He just sits there all day, so you try to go about your business, even though you can't help but think he's watching. And as soon as it gets dark, everyone retreats to their homes, shutters drawn and doors bolted. And that's when you hear him start moving again. All night, when you're trying to sleep, his heavy feet stomp past the locals' houses. Some will attest in the morning that he was testing the locks on their doors and windows.

Everyone's afraid to leave their houses come morning. But the monster is back in his little alley, sleeping, or pretending to sleep. The whole thing repeats. You're nervous all day because he might suddenly leap to activity, and at night you're terrified because of his stalking around the town and scrabbling at people's homes.

He's constantly menacing. He's hardly done anything--yet. You've no idea what will happen if someone's door proves not secure, or if someone tries to leave the village either during the day or night.

Wat do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PIhpu2JO3Yo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A while back I tried to write a story about a very large snake/dragon moving into a town, slithering everywhere, and the townsfolk not being able to find its head or tale, even though it's big scaly body trails all around the hamlet. I think I'd just read Canterbury tales.

Approach just to the point that he opens his eyes, and ask him what he wants in whatever languages I know.

The pattern of behavior doesn't follow any normal creature, so magic is implied, but there's no forward progress until you figure out the motivation.

You know, assuming I'm not a mighty murder hobo - then I just kill it.

>Wat do?
Same thing as the real peasants would do in a similar case: tell it to the duke and let him kick the faggot out of the town that pays taxes to him.

Ask him if he feels lonely

he's in an alleyway. i imagine any group of humans would try dropping boiling water on him or lighting him on fire within the first few hours

Draw straws, pray for the poor bastard that gets picked, and if it's me, get my affairs in order, buy every lucky charm I can manage before stepping up to certain death, saying,
"Brave adventurers, we have a quest for you!"

>Wat do?

find someone less incompetent than you to solve the problem for you. presumably, your village does pay taxes to someone whose job it is to then do that for you.

I sigh, gather up my staff and mana, then wait till dusk. I set up at the entrance of the alleyway, and when he wakes, offer him a bit of a sweet candy. Assuming he doesn't attack, try to communicate and figure out why he's here. And hate that I'm tired towns wizard in residence.

I bring him a plate of food each morning. Even a monster has to eat.

Whatever his purpose is, he isn't hostile except to those that try and stop him. If he wanted to hurt us, we'd be dead already. It's even arguable that killing the guard was unintentional, seeing as it was just a backhand and he didn't use his weapon. So he must want something else, or he is waiting for something.

Until then, it can't hurt to try and get on friendly terms.

People have some complaints about the new mayor, but I like his "no meetings, kill dissenters" approach to town management.

We should all chip in and get him a very large top hat!

underrated post

Well probably execute him for murder, you know what with him snapping that guard's neck.

Hire Psychotic Hero to rape him to death. But first I will tell my children to stay home, I don't want them seeing his sled pulled by flayed, unliving gnomes.

>Hey cuz!

>He's hardly done anything--yet
He murdered a goddamn guard in broad daylight.

>On the same road by accident.
>This happens.
youtu.be/PIhpu2JO3Yo

This is why we have arrows.

Hire a candygram for him.

Summon a demon. Tell it to hug the thing.

Call the local Goblin Hunter

And he has a shield
And probably legs strong enough to catch you seeing how he can backhand someone several meters

>The whole town only has 11 law enforcers
Steal everything that isn't nailed down, and book it.

First
I try to rally the populace into a racist fury.
Then if it works i get a lot of long stakes or spears.
Then we fet our best hunters
The we try to shoot him down and contain him with the stakes/spears

If the atempt a rallying the people fails i prepare as best as i can to travel to the closest actual city, ask for help from the baron and if all else fails i ask some adventures to help.

This is all asduming im a regular villager. If im my pc then grunk is gonna try to punch him to death.

Grunk is not very smart.

This. We're not talking about accidental destruction of property because of the oaf's clumsy size, he straight up killed a guy who was just doing his job. Looks like the nearest tavern's worth of adventurers just got promoted from basement-rat-extermination.

> He's hardly done anything

Except kill one person and try to kill anyone who gets near him.

I'm in the same boat as The bugbear's gotta go, one way or another.

This guy is in no way peaceful or good-meaning , or even just "neutral". He's just a menace as he clearly killed a guardsman and didn't give half a fuck.
The easiest way to deal with this matter as commoner, is to send a message through carrier pigeon to the nearbiest town/village/paladin order/owner of the lands for help, and wait it out for aid. There's more than one paladin that would jump at the occasion.
The most likely scenario is that this guy is one of those monsters that think that "might-makes-right". It's unlikely that a commoner could deal with this matter alone without being able to organize. If anything, he isn't -actively- aggressive. Windows aren't that difficult to break if you got strenght and time if he really wanted to do that. So likely it needs some paladin or adventurer to beat the everloving shit out of him and maybe see to get him as follower or such stuff.
In the letter one should leave all the right info needed for this: the more curiously and interesting you can make it sound, the more likely adventurers will come to it.

I don't do anything unless I'm getting paid. Up front.