>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1T

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/827242368789262336
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any item/magic combo that can allow you to steampunk spiderman? Perhaps some kind of ranger gear?

Do you guys prefer setting agnostic or setting specific materials?

Mechanical stuff should be setting-agnostic, though I don't mind if it refers to the setting it originated from, i.e. warforged, thri-kreen, etc.

I like lore updates for how stuff in a new edition fits into an older edition's settings.

>>No question to provoke conversation in threaf
>>Mordekainen I've failed yew

>If a creature is charmed and I lay a prot from evil on her or put her next to a paladin aura of devotion does this break the charm?
If a creature is chamed by an aberration, celestial, elemental, fey, fiend, or undead, Protection from Evil and Good gives the creature advantage on subsequent saving throws to get rid of the charm.
If that creature enters an Aura of Devotion, that nullifies the charm WHILE the paladin is near and conscious.

Can a curse make someone undead?

No need to eat, drink, breath, but body is rotting. (Can't get drunk)
Penalty on social actions and acrobatics/athletics, but bonus on ranged attacks because you don't shake and no heartbeat = steady

Here, for the scaly bastard from the last thread:

#
+1 STR and 1 ability

#
Again, +1 additional stat and 1 ability,
the temp hit points should be a generic shifter trait like dark vision and +1 con. It represents the extra vitality they have.

#
1 stat bonus and 1 ability

#
#
#
#
#

You know what I'm gonna say.

Look. So far, there are no level adjustments for race in the game, and that's intentional. What you are/start as matters less than what you do. That's why the mud farmer's son can grow up to kill a dragon. If you want to make a more powerful PC race, you have to give it disadvantages to balance the advantages you give it, or you miss the point. If you want to just play broken overpowered shit go back to 3.5.

Sure, go for it. Add in a Constitution check after a while for everybody near the character, on account of the smell.

Let's do this again.

Tell me your character concept with race/class/archetype, and I'll tell you a custom item I'd give you as your DM.

Stick to official and UA stuff. If your concept involves a patron or a deity, tell me stuff about the patron/deity since I don't know that stuff for any setting but Eberron.

I'm here for about an hour and 40 minutes.

Human/Dex Fighter/Eldritch Knight/Tymora (Luck)

Human Warlock/Paladin. Undying Light Patron, Character is a delinquent learning how to be a hero. Uses a baseball bat as his weapon.

Human Rogue/ranger that uses a crossbow and is basically an ambusher/headhunter that is hunting for the biggest target of his career and ended up in a shithole of a place that our DM decided would be our setting.

So I was thinking about making this ruling for surprise to prevent any 'I'll just keep rerolling initiative until it favours me' dealio.

>Surprise Round
This is more of a rules correction than anything.
If a group surprises ALL of another group, there is no initiative roll straight away. Instead, a special round called the 'surprise round' comes into play. Surprisers may act in any order they like, and all creatures count as surprised until combat starts. Nobody knows the initiative order until combat starts, which is immediately after all surprisers have concluded all parts of their turn in the surprise round. Surprisers do not need to use all of their actions in the surprise round all at once, they can choose to use a bonus action before an ally uses an action and then use an action themself.
If a group fails to surprise all of the other group, the game continues as per standard rules - everybody rolls initiative, some creatures are surprised and a creature loses its surprised status after it skips its turn. Naturally, if the surprisers were to try and hide again, at least one creature will still have seen them and call them out unless it is quickly, silently dispatched before any surprised creature becomes unsurprised. Would be impressive if you managed that, though.

Half-Sea Elf girl. Druid circle of the sea. She is a fisherman. Her mother was human and fell in love with a Sea Elf. One day the sea elf father had to return to his home due to something important. Mother died due to being attacked by underwater creature. Adopted by local druid.

Shifter druid, circle of twilight/gatekeeper initiate in Eberron.

Hi tgm

ProtectorAasimar/Paladin/Vengeance

Has an artificers husband and 2 young children

The bat is magical. The handle of the bat is charred, and bits of ash flake off from it, though it never diminishes in integrity.

You can cast Hex on friendly targets, giving them advantage to checks with an ability score and adding 1d6 radiant damage to their attacks.

A quiver of bolts with 5 compartments. The quiver never weighs more than 2 pounds no matter how many bolts it holds. 4 of the compartments are normal and can hold 20 bolts. The fifth compartment has X magical bolts (x = proficiency modifier) that reappear at dawn of each day when used. These magical bolts deal xd6 additional damage, or xd10 to favored enemies.

Add a concept.

I could use help with an item. Playing a V. Human with 4 levels in Arcane Trickster Rogue and 9 levels in Trickery Domain Cleric. Playing a clown, refluffed spells and the whole lot. DM has asked the party to make up items for ourselves that we'll quest after later, a bit below artifact level in power. I'm no good at this homebrew stuff, so I'm not even sure where to begin to be honest.

>>Forest Gnome Circle of the Moon Druid Folk Hero level 9 CN

Started into druidism when his village was attacked by gnolls and helped fight them off with the assistance of his badger buddies. Abuses wildshape a lot to get into hijinks, kind of going for a swashbuckling druid adventurer who loves animals and thwarting The Man, Already wields a magic scimitar and wears a tri-corn hat that he adorns with druidcrafted flora.

Pic related

Human College of Whispers Bard, undercover spy for the Harpers.
Is pretty average aside from being a compulsive liar, which so far hasn't caused any problems within the party.

Convinced he's just a down on his luck noble, wants to build a noble house.

redirecting reply to

Get an item that fixes your broken spell progression, because that build only gets 10 spellcasting levels and 5th level cleric spells + limited level 1 wizard spells.

Some sort of item that makes AT levels count as cleric levels for spellcasting and spell learning purposes rather than not counting towards learning and only giving you a single spellcasting level at level 3.

.. And once you've fixed the fact you're pretty much just a crappy fast cleric, have an item that focuses on perhaps illusions for utility or something. Maybe a typical 'there are three walls, only one is real, the other two are illusions' type thing.

A memento from the mother that became magical after her death. It grants advantage on initiative checks, and you cannot be surprised. If you are asleep or unconscious when initiative is rolled and have 1 or more HP, you wake.

Mother's spirit is worrying over you

Have I been named?

A quarterstaff made of byeshk. It alerts you to the presence of aberrations within 120 ft. of you, telling you their exact location unless they are protected from divination effects and/or lead provides total cover to the aberration. Your spells and weapon attacks deal 1d4 extra damage to aberrations, and aberrations have disadvantage on saving throws against your spells. Increase the extra damage by 1 step when your proficiency increases (d6 at 3, d8 at 4, d10 at 5, d12 at 6)

Goliath Barbarian/Battlerager, found by the foot of a mountain as a baby, adopted by local renowned Dwarven weaponsmith. Wants to follow in her father's footsteps, sets out as an adventurer to find rare materials and magical weapons she could draw inspiration from.

You'll want something that lets you use cleric spells with Int or AT spells with Wis. That's a hard character to work with.

I prefer settings to be system agnostic, but I really love reading setting specific materials (just picked up Volo's guide) to see how other people have fleshed out concepts and adapt/invert them in my own setting. I'm finishing up my Red Hand of Doom campaign, so I'm considering using the section about orcs as the follow-up arc in my setting where Gruumsh and the other orc pantheon are just spirits, since one of my players has a half-orc PC whose tribal background ties to the antagonist orc horde.

Those races are so damn cool I always make sure they're available in my setting.

>Have I been named?
No, I was assuming you were someone else

A magical ironwood scimitar. It functions with Shillelagh as if it was a club or quarterstaff, and when you take on an elemental wildshape, you can wield the scimitar, replacing the elemental's multiattack options with scimitar attacks. In elemental wildshape form, the scimitar deals 2d6 additional damage of a type depending on the form.

Air = lightning
Fire = fire
Water = cold
Earth = thunder

You'll have to tell me what the Harpers are.

A magical battle axe engraved with dwarven runes it's a tawdry, colorful drinking song. It functions as a Belt of Dwarvenkind when attuned, it has the throwing property, and it returns to your hand as a free action.

Half-orc treachery paladin, he's type that believes that the end justifies the means and stops at nothing to get his results.
Has a strong distain for the weak and does what he can to gain power.

A magical signet ring of your house. Natural 1s count as 20s. You must reroll natural 20s and take the 2nd result.

V. Human/Bard/Glamour

She loves to sing and believes that song can calm violence and bring people together

Well the DnD website says the Harper's 3 main concepts are:
One can never have too much information.
Too much power leads to corruption.
No one should be powerless.

My understanding is that they fight for general equality, assassinating evil nobles when needed, or helping out small hamlets for example. Also they're devoted to preserving art and history I think.

A magical (insert weapon of choice).

When you use Divine Smite, you can choose to take necrotic damage equal to 5 times the level of the spell slot used. If you do, the Divine Smite dice deal maximum damage.

The weapon is sentient. A rakshasa's spirit is inside it, and he whispers helpful suggestions to you.

An emerald amulet. When worn around the neck, it feels warm to the touch. It glows slightly when you sing. You can expend a use of Bardic Inspiration to cast Sanctuary on yourself as a bonus action.

A book of music sheets. The sheets are never the same any time you look at them, and the songs within reveal information to you. When you make an Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion check while consulting the music, you have advantage on the roll. If either of the rolls are a natural 1, the music also gives you a portent of your own death.

Human Rogue/Warlock. Alan Terry, a butcher, accidentally developed magical powers after a deal with the devil made by Alanterie the Butcher.

Half-Elf/Wizard/Bladesinger

A young girl who is confident in her skills but is not not self aware and prone to immaturity.

She used Misty Step and Haste to get around quickly in the battlefield allowing her to cast spells and use her Archery at the same time.

A magical cleaver that acts as a battle axe. It has the finesse property. It constantly drips blood and never wipes clean no matter what you try. You do not require concentration to maintain Hex for its duration, and you can cast Hex X times per day without using a slot, where X is your proficiency bonus. While attuned to the weapon, you start to bleed from your eyes, mouth, nose, ears, and hands when you have a Hex spell active.

I like this quarter staff idea... Any idea what spells I'd need to make it, as a downtime activity?

Multiple ongoing games? I can't even get one.

I don't get people's fascination with these.

It's fine, it doesn't hurt me in any way, I just don't understand why it gets so many responses every time.

You might have missed my Female Protector Aasimar/Paladin/Vengeance

Her armor obscures her gender. Her voice filtered by her helmet. She is embodiment of wrath. She has a artificers husband and 2 young children who keep her from going full vengeance machine. She fell in love with her husband when she was still a Paladin in training.

Not a clue. I don't worry about item crafting in 5e. Byeshk is a special purplish metal in Eberron that is the bane of aberrations. Iirc it doesn't take any magic to make it, but it's difficult to work with and can only be used for bludgeoning weapons.

A magical hat. It is cursed, and you have a permanent Detect Thoughts spell active while attuned to the hat. You're stuck knowing what everyone really thinks of you.

You gain the Archery fighting style while attuned to the hat, and you do not suffer disadvantage for shooting at a target you cannot see. You still have to determine the appropriate spot to attack.

I'm surprised myself. It's a good time killer, and I keep a lot of the ideas to use in my games.

I didn't see the concept description before. The concept is what inspires me most.

The armor is magical. It allows you to cast Enlarge/Reduce X times per day without using a spell slot, where X is your proficiency modifier. Hulk up when you really need to convince people you're a guy.

I'm more worried about the fact that the quality of magic items has been dropping.

Maybe after making too many it's hard to resist roundabout effects or simple conditional power boosts.

High Elf/Wizard/Illusionist
Wants to be the world's greatest thief.

Lizardfolk barbarian
Escaped from slavery, now roaming the underdark preying on drow. Has pet spider

>quality of magic items has been dropping.
elaborate

People like an excuse to post their character since otherwise there's no reason to without looking like a twat.

Dragonborn War Master Mercenary, has aspirations to lead his own company and eventually his own city, but struggles with more fatalistic choices.

I'm cheating and posting my player's characters so I have loot to give them.

Female/V.Human/Monk/Tranquility

She is a mature an composed woman who had an Akhashic look. She specializes in sensual theraputic massages to heal people using their Ki flow. Can be quite erotic. She's not a whore though.

War master?

Same

Oh fuck lmao, I meant Battle Master, the Fighter Archetype.

Barbarian firbolg - after his father was slain he was exiled/hunted and became a barbarian under the tutelage of an Orc - that was actually a spirit animal.

I'm running Storm King's Thunder. My players just beat the giant attack in Bryn Shander. It was pretty cool. I liked using the NPCs to even out combat a little.

I'm curious how to proceed from here. It seems like my players kind of just have free reign to do whatever they'd like now. Should I be giving them a specific goal now?

That explains it but simultaneously doesn't explain it. Why do people want / need an excuse to post their character? Why do they want to post it so badly? Especially since half of the replies are barely more than the race, class, and one personality trait? If there's such an unmet demand for character posting excuses, why don't any of them go make a thread for it?

Your spider bites, though it barely causes any discomfort. A symbol starts to form around the spot where it bit you over the course of a few weeks. Your hands and feet grow micro-hairs that cling to most surfaces, granting you a climb speed equal to your land speed.

A pair of gloves with short strings hanging from each finger. As an action, you can make your voice come from another creature's mouth without making a sound yourself.

That would explain why the character descriptions are so short today. I don't put much effort into items for really short character descriptions.

>can only be used for bludgeoning weapons
Wrong. Most modern smiths can't make blades with it, but there are 6 artifact swords from the war with the daelkyr that have all kinds of nifty powers. I think the only one ever named though was Righteous Rage or something like that. As you imagine, it gave nice barbarian-like powers to whoever wielded it, but they all judged their wielders.

>1s become 20s and 20s are rerolled
Exactly the same as the haflling's 'lucky', except really awkward. Just saying 'you reroll 1s' has the exact same effect.
>scimitar +2d6 damage in form
Conditional damage increase, only really useful for combat. .. And when it applies it's.. A damage increase, which I find rather boring.
>full damage smite for a bit of damage taken
Though not so bad an idea, again it's a bit dull in the sense of it just being raw damage, and it also makes paladin's already legendary nova potential even worse for a DM to handle. Imagine using that with crit smites.

Advantage on initiative/can't be surprised / autowake just sounds kinda annoying for a DM. Granted, it's not damage boosts or overpowered, it's just... Combat-only buffs that limit what tactics the DM can use on players again.

>quiver of bolts for extra damage
As said, number of bolts a day that deal extra damage.

>belt of dwarvernkind axe
Well, it has a charisma effect to interact with dwarves which is user-combat thing that was part of the copied item, but otherwise it's all combat effects again. But also
>free action
Is probably not something you should say, you might trigger people.
The throwing property should specify distances, too.
The flavour is nice enough, though, I suppose. Brings a new meaning to 'bearded axe'.

Sanctuary one isn't so bad, I suppose, though playing off of an already limited resource.

The music sheets sound pretty neat though, the only non-combat.
cont

Kobold/Paladin/Crown

Once a great Dragonborn warrior who upheld virtue and valour, he was cursed by his archnemesis into his current wretched form. This does not deter him. His heart and soul is as courageous as ever!

Continued because ran out of character space

In short I'm just an angry nerd angry about magic items, especially DMG ones, +1 shortswords and the like, and I don't like fairly bland combat buffs that don't open up new possibilities.

I enjoy seeing more non-combat uses for magic items and, when combat applies, the uses promote.. Well, it's less 'you can cast this spell more often' but more 'you can cast a new spell', if you get what I mean.

Previous days we had this had some better magic items, in my opinion.

A giant ram's horn trumpet. You can use your breath weapon one additional time per short rest. The additional use deals thunder damage.

Allies within 30 ft. are also affected when you use Second Wind.

>Exactly the same as the haflling's 'lucky', except really awkward. Just saying 'you reroll 1s' has the exact same effect.

Wrong. The reroll is for natural 20s. The natural 1s count as 20s but are not natural 20s. The idea is a reversal of fortune.

>Just saying 'you reroll 1s' has the exact same effect.
No it doesn't. What it means is 1s are a crit, but if you roll a nat 20, you have to reroll.

>Previous days we had this had some better magic items, in my opinion.

Previous days had more detailed character descriptions too. I work with what I'm given.

>20s crit
>reroll 1s

>1s become a 20 and crit
>reroll 20s

These are the same thing

Think about it mathematically.

Your 1 rolls are replaced by 20s.

Your 20 rolls are replaced by a d20 that can be anything.

It's like saying 'When you roll 1, it becomes a 20. When you roll 20, it becomes a 1', except throwing in halfling's lucky feat.

Actually, if the rerolled 20 becomes a 1, would that 1 become a 20? I suppose it would. But that just becomes annoying to DMs to have characters who can never roll low, but I suppose hafllings already exist to fuck with said DMs. Hm.

But yes, if the rerolled 20 could potentially become a 1, it is exactly the same as the halfling's feature, just made confusing.

I don't think the problem is the custom item part of it. The items do feel relevant to the characters.

It's just that there's a lot of things like 'you deal extra damage conditionally' where the conditions are once/day or against a certain enemy or while in a certain form or for expending a bit of HP. It's less about the fluff, more about the effects, and that's why I said maybe it's running out of juice and boiling down to the simple stuff.

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/827242368789262336

Are you ready to be the Man of Dudes?

Cloak of Arachnida from the DM Manual lets you walk on walls and ceilings and cast the web spell.

High Elf Divination wizard that worked as a sort of manhunter for the king, tends to be calm and pragmatic until he loses his cool, at that point it's all bets are off.

He aims to start his own arcane college, training young wizards into a form of inquisitorial arcane force like he acted for the king, and amass power.
He has an utter hatred for how high nobility tend to act irrationally and egotistically and wants to claim his own kingdom and turn it into an arcane powerhouse, effectively attempting to control the higher nobilities as he deems them unworthy of having any influence on society.

He simply believes that magic is the way to go, since it has never failed him in his time of need.

I don't get it

For the same reason they want a (You) or compliments.

People like their thoughts and ideas being recognised because it validates their creation. They can't just post it in a thread about those ideas because that devalues the recognition through unnatural presentation.

It's the difference between allowing someone to stumble upon an award you've received, and gaining a compliment on it, which makes you feel warm inside, and handing them your award and telling them how you won it, which they'll praise, but you've lost the experience through forcing it.

Anyway, here's your (You).

Half-elf Fiendish Patron Pact of the Chain Warlock Solider Background
bastard child of human bar maid and elf bard, was member of village militia, got k.i.a. and patron offered a second chance at life if they agreed to serve them somehow.
Doesn't know exactly who patron is, but wants to skip out on pact because the patron wants them to kill their wife. Currently adventuring to find out how to do that, with a view into multiclassing bard (lore) magical secrets and what not

You find a set of spellbooks. Each book is blank. The master spellbook has a golden bookmark in it. Spells written in the other spellbooks appear in the master spellbook, and spells in the master spellbook can be copied into the other spellbooks at half-cost.

Train your wizardly students.

I actually don't mind this, it's nice to see succinct character concepts that don't waffle on too much

Has anyone else ever experienced that trying to write a character makes you cringe?

Any backstory other than stuff like "was a farmer and decided to be a fighter" feels painful to write, especially if I have to include parents and family and everything else.

I know the problem is me, but I'm trying to be less of a murderhobo and I don't know how.

I don't get this.

Was meant for The curse allowed the paladin to tap into the sorcerous potential within his kobold form. You learn 4 sorcerer cantrips and 3 1st level sorcerer spells. You may use your paladin spell slots to cast these spells.

I absolutely love it.

The feature is a weaker than halfling lucky (even if rerolled 20s can become 1s, as they should) because you only have 1/400 chance to get a nat 20. With halfling lucky you have 1/20+1/400 chances to get a nat 20.

The intent is:

"I rolled a 1. It's a critical success because of this ring."

"I rolled a 20. The ring won't let me be too lucky and forces me to reroll."

It's not intended to be cyclical. "Natural" in front of a number has a meaning in D&D.

Human Warlock/Fighter
Flunked out of Magic College, now adventuring with a group of explorers under the guise of being a master wizard to chart out new lands. Wound up having to make deals with evil dudes as his Patron in order to keep up the facade.
Aims to be a master swordsman in order to pay homage to the person who inspired him to start adventuring, and is currently looking for them.

Convince me otherwise that druid is not the most broken class in this system. It may or may not be getting annoying how someone keeps bragging about how awesome his forms are.

I feel your pain.

Its bad enough for my PCs, im currently making a setting with its own pantheon, and one god is Aspect of Void.
Its proving very difficult for me to harness my inner emo kid to take this stupidly edgy background and traits for an otherwise reasonable "person" seriously.

I could just make them not edgy, but the edgy things in its background are all extremely plot relavent.

I guess I should just accept that a God of Void is inherently edgy, stop worrying about it, and just go full ham.

No item for tantra monk?

Play past level 10. They fall off hard.

What's the problem?

Say, off the top of my head, I'd maybe like to make..

Say, a gnome wizard nearing the end of his days, having spent most of his time in seclusion. In his old age, he's been afflicted with terrible illness (low con) that can't be cured by normal means. Thus, he has the options of adventuring for a cure, dying trying to adventure for a cure or to sit down and waste away, and for sure the first two options sound much better to him to have one last go at life rather than waste away lonely and forgotten.

So what's the cringey part of starting to write that sort of thing? Heck, there isn't even mention of a family in there, but they might have children or something they're not with at the moment. Is it cringey to have an old character? The roleplay/ designing a family part? Or what exactly causes the cringe?

It's like

1/20 chance - you roll 1 (becomes 20)
18/20 chance - you roll 2 to 19
1/20 chance - you roll 20 (becomes a normal d20 unless the ring's effect can happen twice on the same roll)

which is identical to

1/20 chance - you roll a 1 (becomes a normal d20)
18/20 chance - you roll a 2 to 19
1/20 chance - you roll a 20 (stays a 20)

I'd probably give that character the same thing as >A book of music sheets. The sheets are never the same any time you look at them, and the songs within reveal information to you. When you make an Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion check while consulting the music, you have advantage on the roll. If either of the rolls are a natural 1, the music also gives you a portent of your own death.

Is this an Eldrich Knight?

I didn't notice it.

And now I wish I hadn't noticed it.

I need help homebrewing an artificer for 5e. The setting is beginning of the industrial revolution and magic is utilized as a power source in crystallized magic. I need help making a class that is basically an artificer who wears magically powered armor and uses spell cannon functionally similar to a wand.
pic very related.

They put out an Unearthed Arcana for that a few weeks ago.

Haven't decided yet, I'm split between EK and BM. The character is level 2/2 for both.

I remember that anime. I should rewatch it, I enjoyed it when I caught it once on TV.

Human/Monk/Sun Soul

Tomboyish and fiery attitude have most people mistaking her for a boy. Left on the doorstep of a Monk Monastery as an infant. She loves to fight but hates the philosophical and religious teachings of the monks. She often sneaks out and does some petty crimes like theivery. She sees a circus troupe and wants to become as beautiful and graceful as the female entertainers. Elder monks says her dreams are childish and she has a greater destiny. She runs away from monastery to fulfil her dream.

A stolen staff from the magic college he flunked out of. The staff has the signature runes of the elderly, forgetful, but exceedingly powerful librarian that you didn't notice until you were far from the college.

You're unable to comprehend or take advantage of the full capabilities of the staff. You are able to use it to cast any wizard cantrip, as well as any 1st-level wizard ritual. Detect Magic reveals there's a divination-based enchantment on it that makes it traceable over long distances.

Fantastic,Thank you very much
I remember it being bad in execution but really liking the concept of magepunk armor battle casters

A quarterstaff that can extend up to 30 ft. It's only usable as a weapon up to 10 ft. You have advantage on Athletics checks made to jump and Acrobatics checks used to balance on the staff. While wielding the staff, you can use your reaction to add your Dexterity to your AC against a single attack that hit you, potentially causing it to miss.