Dear Veeky Forums

Dear Veeky Forums,
I just got this for my birthday from a friend who's a bit super weird. Has anyone actually played this game? I've never seen Veeky Forums talk about it but reviews seem very strong. Is there anything particularly good about this game or is it just a Traveler rip off?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!oocWXaKB!ChzTsrEePQ4huLaisBneDly-6F-UlztdBlNYjh2LTx8
mega.nz/#!Eo0mQC4S!nN4lRBTiUgWCN5QSQfNyXtlz2l-qQm8aMt3I39HzTpQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

You're the one who has it, supply scans.

No idea. I heard it had a KS and then I never heard about it again.

What makes it special, again?

bump

It is weird. Its a super crunchy version of FATE with all sorts of crazy bits.

On the plus side you can play as a sentient starship,

Why don't you fucking read it and tell us? Or, better yet, up it so we can read it and tell you what to think.

No scanner tho

Fair enuf: well, I guess you're gonna hafta read it and report back to us. Sentient starships and crazy bits sound appealing, tbqh.

I have and have read it.

It's "Iain M Banks' The Culture, The RPG" except without quite so much super-fast fighting. Playable characters vary wildly, but include starships, arcology AIs, several flavours of humans, and more.

The setting is mildly post-scarcity and generally quite intersting.

The rival empire who haven't got a hope of fighting the Commonality is the Imperium of Man, again, numbers filed off. Commissars, Tech Priests, Gene-Warriors, all that stuff.

But it's expected that the GM should make up their own rival cultures.

One day I'll get to play it.

It's in the PDF Share thread.

I see requests for it, but no download link.

If you open up the first Da Archive PDF, search for Mindjammer, there's a link to it right there.

In fact, here's the link from it:
mega.nz/#!oocWXaKB!ChzTsrEePQ4huLaisBneDly-6F-UlztdBlNYjh2LTx8

Clearly I am retarded.

Thank you, kind sir.

No worries.

was right about it though, it's basically FATE with some more crunchy bits thrown in. Still, I'm a sucker for the Culture series, and FATE isn't too awful if you're happy to roll with that sort of game.

Alright thank you for the info. All the crazy shit like uplifted animals, sentient ships, and other shit in this system seems cool enough, I'll give it a read.

I'm not familiar with FATE but I was hopping for something a little less crunchy (the thickness of the book should have tipped me off though.)

>I was hopping for something a little less crunchy

It's not crunchy at all. Fate is like, one of the lightest systems out there. What they meant is that Mindjammer adds a bit of crunch to the core Fate system; it is still a pretty light game. The thickness of the book is 90% setting building.

>friend gets you a birthday present
>"he's like SUPER weird lmao"

That's not very nice, OP.

Also, just read the book. You like, have it physically right in front of you.

Isn't FATE the one with the algebra equations to do fuel calculations for deceleration?

I said he was a bit super weird. Not totally super weird. And buying people gifts isn't inherently weird, he is tho.

>Isn't FATE the one with the algebra equations to do fuel calculations for deceleration?

No. You're thinking of... something else, I have no idea what. GURPS, maybe?

Thank god.

>Isn't FATE the one with the algebra equations to do fuel calculations for deceleration?

What? I have absolutely no idea what game you're thinking of.

Fate's core system revolves around rolling 4 fudge dice ( which are d6s with the numbers replaced by two - symbols, two + symbols, and two blank faces, which produces results from -4 to +4), adding the result to your relevant skill, and trying to beat a TN.

You can use Fate points to invoke aspects of your character to give yourself bonuses to relevant actions, which are descriptive sentences that define your character both physically and mentally. The DM can also compels those aspects to give you a negative modifier.

Let's say your character has a Shoot skill of +3, and one of his aspects is "Shoot first, ask questions never.". So during a gunfight in which you're trying to kill someone, you could invoke this aspect to add +2 to your skill, for a total of +5. Then you'd roll the 4d6, add the result to your +5.

Let's say the same character finds himself in a diplomatic situation; he must talk his way out of a delicate encounter. The GM could compel that same aspect to give him a negative modifier on his Diplomacy roll.

It's a very flexible system, and very easy to learn and play. There's much more to it, of course, but the math never gets more complicated than what you see in this example.

>It's a very flexible system, and very easy to learn and play.

At the risk of this turning into a FATE General, I'd say it can be quite difficult to learn how to play. As much as I love FATE, if you want a game where there's a very well-defined line between GM and player, FATE isn't going to work for you.

It's a good game when everyone's on board with the style of game it seeks to do, but it really seems to rub some people up the wrong way.

>algebra equations to do fuel calculations for deceleration?
That's traveller

There's Traveller or GURPS, GURPS vehicle rules get gnarly if you stick too closely to using ALL the rules.

Basically FATE is a d6 dicepool game where you count 1-2 as malluses to an attempted activity, 5-6 as pluses and 3-4 as neutral and operate things like skill around a core character concept rather than traditional "skills" or "ability scores" - it's basically like Vampire the Masquerade's system but less crunchy and more narrative, so adding crunch to it leaves it still infinitely less crunchy than traveller or GURPS.

>As much as I love FATE, if you want a game where there's a very well-defined line between GM and player, FATE isn't going to work for you.

I've been playing Fate for years, and I have no idea why people keep propagating that idea. There's definitely a very clear line between player and GM, and the GM has total narrative control over the game like in any other game.

Fate has a bigger focus on narrative mechanics instead of simulationst ones, but that's it, really. Players aren't actively narrating the scene along with the GM, they're still reacting to the situations the GM comes up with.

>As much as I love FATE, if you want a game where there's a very well-defined line between GM and player, FATE isn't going to work for you.

This game is "crunchier" version of FATE though, so that might not be a problem.

>I have no idea why people keep propagating that idea.

It's because, in most games, players are generally not the one suggesting setbacks and complications for themselves and other players. While there is a clear line between the GM and the player, the player here bears a lot more explicit responsibility for making the story "work" - which really isn't a bad thing, but I've some friends who have always approached games from a "Players vs the GM" standpoint, and want all negative consequences to their actions to stem only from the GM.

Oh, yeah. I can see where you're coming from.

I've mostly taught Fate to people new to RPGs, so there wasn't really any culture shock for them in that area, but I can see how teaching a group of D&D players, for example, might prove complicated.

Again, thank you this is alot of useful information. This actually does sound like the game I'm looking for. My group has primarily played FFG 40k rpgs and that is a crunchy fucking system.

I've got some worries that my players are going to take some time to adapt to it but I'll give this thing a try and report back.

It is a solid system, I hope you'll enjoy it.

One tip about the Mindjammer setting is: don't let the expansiveness of the setting overwhelm you, creatively. Pick one part of the setting you and your friends find interesting and focus on that. Like a lot of Sci-Fi settings out there, it has a LOT of things going on at the same time.

>It's because, in most games, players are generally not the one suggesting setbacks and complications for themselves and other players.

Not true - Players often suggest setbacks and complications for themselves, but most systems try to hide this behind feat or "alignment" systems.

That's one way of looking at it, and if I'm ever in the position where I've got to try and introduce somebody else to Fate again, I might use this as an example.

Although, in the case of my most egregious chucklefuck of a player friend, a setback based on his alignment only counts if the GM is suggesting it or enforces it. He's one of those play-to-win, me-versus-the-GM types, and so anyone suggesting setbacks to the GM in a "regular" RPG is betraying the team. Collaborative games, like Fate, just don't seem to click for him.

This worries me. One of my players definitely has the you vs GM mentality. To the point he keeps "contingency plans" in sealed envelopes that he refuses to let anyone see until they're used.

On one hand it sounds like a really stupid stupid attitude to take to a game of pretend. On the other, it sounds fun. What kind of shit does he have in those envelopes?

Just in case anyone wants it, here's the Traveller version.
mega.nz/#!Eo0mQC4S!nN4lRBTiUgWCN5QSQfNyXtlz2l-qQm8aMt3I39HzTpQ

>a bit
>super weird

??

>just a Traveler rip off?

It's not a Traveller rip off. It's an officially licensed setting supplement meant to be used Mongoose Traveller Second Edition (MgT2). You even need to MgT2 to play Mindjammer.

Then this might not be a set of mechanics they're going to enjoy, but it's still worth giving it a shot and seeing how they take to it, and perhaps if they really dig the setting you build up as a group, they might enjoy it in spite of not liking the mechanics particularly.