/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Gold enchantments edition!

To make cards download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
or register for free here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/jJaFZ
old.photojoiner.net/
a.cuntflaps.me/rSFJZ.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for bullshit.

Guess I'll port this over. The solution was just limiting it to a single ability per activation since it's uncommon. Not sure if it needs a P/T update or not to reflect this. 2/2 doesn't seem bad for a utility creature at 2 though, even in gold.

Though, now that I look at it, I feel like "an activated ability" is wrong. Like maybe it should use "choose" somehow.

I do enjoy these cards when you make them. But I'm a cheeky fellow and I like cheeky things.

Wow, I usually don't have cards ready for the theme, but here we are. Pretty simple, obvious riff on the Guide Auras that buff a creature then spawn a creature with the same buffs.

*an* activated ability? How does that work? And why do you think this is uncommon material?

>Also, I know Firebreathing is a reprint here, but I've always thought maybe it needed to cantrip or something. It feels so lackluster these days. Like it needs a QoL update.
QoL? But yeah, Wizards made a cantrip Firebreathing in Theros, Dragon Mantle.

>They don't forget about it; his power set is just whatever's needed at the time. Has been for decades.
No, that's Batman. But in all seriousness, I just feel like it gets used a lot less than his other powers is all.

Why uncommon anyway? Making a set?

No, it just strikes me as something that would be uncommon if it were. Rarity still matters somewhat, I presume, even for one-offs. Have a case otherwise?

>an
So you don't think it works either? It does feel odd.

From last thread, if you have better name or art suggestions please share. im haing a hard time with it

I've been meaning to use this awesome art on a card for a while, but I've been having trouble making a good card for it. Core idea is being able to arm all your creatures.

I guess it's part of my obsessiveness that I like having art that can work well on Magic cards, but yeah, sometimes I like to have fun with it.

Honestly, The Bus should be a complicated card as a homage to how meta the comic was.

Something like

The Bus (4)
Legendary Artifact - Vehicle

Trample

Crew 1

Whenever the crew ability of The Bus is activated, The Bus gets +1/-1 until the end of turn.

5/5

try "(G/U): Target creature. Mirror Adept gains up to one activated ability of target creature."

I gave you feedback in the last thread. But they mostly seem fine to me. Though I will add to that feedback that the art for Noxious Thermae could be better.

What comic?

imgur.com/gallery/jJaFZ

Honestly I don't know how you've gone through your life without knowing of The Bus

too simple, doesn't capture the omnipotence of The Bus.

That could work. I may look more deeply into how it might be worded looking at cards that copy keywords and whatnot as well, but having a version that satisfies the syntax of the game is fine by me for now.

Actually, I meshed your suggestion and Quicksilver Elemental's wording and got what I think I need, thanks.

Not bad. I expected the gag with the old lady to be pulled with the cockroach, but I liked the foreground/background gag too. And I thought the woman in the ad would turn up on the bus, as a person. I don't get the sophisticated/unsophisticated thing. The blind man and the spider-crabs comics made me laugh.

OK, last card for tonight, going to bed. No idea on how to cost this effect. Original iteration of the card was completely different and focused on flicker, but an user said this ability was better, so I'm focusing on repeatable O-Ring. You know, unless it turns out to be not a good idea.

O-Rings have the downside that they can be undone if removed, so let's take away that drawback and make it repeatable as well.

Well, how should it be done then?

DO you have any art to drop or name suggestions for land names you dont like?

Not right now, no. I'll see what I have tomorrow.

I'd go with "Choose an activated ability of target creature. ~ gains that ability until end of turn."
It's massively cheaper than Quicksilver Elemental. Now, granted, QSE wasn't very good, but I think a 3 mana drop might be a bit much.
I also think this is complex enough to warrant rare or mythic.

His set is REALLY pushed. That honestly wouldn't stand out if it wasn't hexproof.

I feel like power-level wise, 4 cmc is fine for this gal. However, I feel like she has a bit too much going on ability wise. up to 5 cmc, up to mythic, or something else entirely? I want to keep the land ramp+mill flavor if possible

Cut the first ability. She's strong enough as a Crucible that hits everyone's graveyard, and the ability to dig for more lands is just bonus. Being able to play additional lands means she'll just be ramping into fatties that win the game, rather than attempting to mill people out.

I feel like this needs to be at least 1WU, if not 2WU.

I can agree with rare, grudgingly. I suppose it's not something you should see so much. I like that wording; I do feel "choose" needs to be in there someplace. So you think rare, and CMC3? 1GU?

Wording I used btw:
>[G/U]: Mirror Adept gains up to one activated ability of target creature until end of turn.

would this also work?

Still having activated abilities makes it really need to be more expensive.

I think giving any creature in your hand ninjutsu might be too strong. Thoughts?

Sounds good, gives room for short flavor text as well. Thanks. I think you're right.

make it a tap ability and increase it to 3UB

1GU sounds reasonable, given that it does jackshit solo.

Your wording should work too, there's not exactly precedence set yet.

True. I'll bump it to 1GU and rare, keep the current wording, but make sure I keep an open mind to having to change it.

>His set is REALLY pushed.
Well, it's not a real set, just a collection of cards with a common origin. But really? Is there anything you can think of off the top of your head that should cost more? Or will I just have to go through everything again?

Rather than use Red, why not use a -X/-X effect?

color identity, potential shenanigans with activating with blocking

repostan

Looking for help on the wording and power level of these cards. And , for the ones who know about FFX if the flavor is right.

tl; dr. R8 and H8

Not much to talk about with this guy.

Replace "gain" with "have". And really, common? But I don't have much of a clue on how to cost this, unfortunately.

I'll repeat what I said last time in that I don't think you need the mill, I think you can just force the discard, but that it should be sorcery speed. Also, I'd suggest making the lines of flavor text closer to each other by using the SHIFT+ENTER trick.

Thinking about change the backside of this card to the colorless version, though I still need the right template for it. What do you guys think?

First, read the OP and use PhotoJoiner.

old.photojoiner.net/

Second, frames, seriously, you need to update them. At least get the colorless frame for Sin.

>Sin
You only capitalize the first keyword in a sentence.
Should say "When" rather than "Whenever" since it can only be put into a graveyard once. Yes, it comes back, but it's technically a different object when it does.
Also, "put on the graveyard from the battlefield" is wrong on two counts. Even if you wanted to use this wording it should be "put into a graveyard", but for creatures, you just say "When ~ dies".

>Jecht
Which opponent? You have to make things kosher for multiplayer formats. If you want to keep it to a single player, you should add
>As ~ enters the battlefield, choose an opponent.
Then the other abilities become
>~ gets -1/-1 for each creature the chosen player controls.
Also, for legends, for most of them, you have to use the full name of the card the first time. Just so you know, ~ is the full name of a card, and @ is the "legend name" of a card, which includes all the characters up to the first comma. In this case ~ would be Jecht, Final Aeon, and @ would be Jecht.
Anyway, next ability should then be
>Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under the chosen player's control, you may draw a card. If you do, you lose 2 life.
Though I'd make it forced
>you draw a card and you lose 2 life.

>Dance at the Lake
Probably fine. Might even be able to get away with it at 1WU and common, if Pilfered Plans is anything to go by. But yeah, that scene were Squall holds Aeristh as she dies always gets me.

>Titus
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may untap up to two target permanents.

1/2

Thought I could get away with hitting players too. Going forward, I just want to point out that I don't want my cards to be considered pushed at their mana costs, I want things to be costed fairly, at about the same level you'd expect to see things in Standard or Modern.

>Sigil of Efreet
Just put two colons together (::) in MSE and they'll make the bulletpoint for you. But even if you didn't know, that, what was stopping you from going on Gatherer or something and copy/pasting it?
This seems good to me, though you should order the effects so they match the colors in the cost. So in this case, move the first ability to the second, the second ability to the third, and the third ability to the first.

>Sigil of Baja Mutt
Wait, choose two? Oh, forget what I told you about the last one being balanced. These are both busted I think. And with this one, the effects aren't very well balanced with each other. Like, the Black ability is a 1BB card, but the Red ability is worse than a bunch of 1R cards.

No-content bump

Small changes, upped both by 1 in cost and +1/+1 in P/T. Change was due to thinking they should both have better stats than badass normals like Batman. In terms of keywords, they were chosen to be foils to each other, one encourages attacking, the other encourages (or at least helps) blocking. If anyone decides to ask about Reach, I'll probably do that for Ben Reilly. Haven't really touched any of the Spider-Man things for a while now. I'm just a much bigger fan of DC than Marvel, sorry.

I guess everyone else is busy. But on the other hand, what's to stop you from making cards? Do you want me to post the custom card challenge? Get art for an art challenge? Whoops, forgot that I had to look for replacement art for the trilands guy.

The UB one is significantly better than the WU one.

An idea just came to me. The name is obviously a play on the saying "colorful cast of characters" as well as the actual colors of the cards. Will probably use different art in the future.

Well, I've been much happier with Otto, so I guess I'll have to change Pete then. Any suggestions?

Fantasy cowboys? I know there was some reddit poster that had a set built around it or something. But can you see wizards ever doing it themselves?

Seeeeeems okay. Might be undercosted. Compare to conflux. 8 mana anything in the color vs 5 mana only legends, its hard to say.

Double-checking this.

Yeah, I know Conflux exists, that's how I got part of the wording. But yeah, good point. I'll probably just drop the legendary bit.

>Klint
Great choice for name and flavor text. I really like the card, but you should update your frames. And I'm not the best judge on balance, but I think it's fine.

I tried updating them, but my MSE just keeps giving me an error when I select the m15 onward frames. Not sure what to do

Screenshot?

also, sorry, submitted to early
>card
Very very strong, but I think it might be safe. I dunno if I like the return to hand bit on The Other though.

The left is what happens just from clicking "Style". The right is what happens if I select an m15 frame. I've reinstalled MSE before since it happened and nothing changed, but maybe I'm just an idiot and don't know what I'm doing

Thanks. How about shuffling The Other when it dies instead?

What do you have that uses the file extension "mse-game"? I don't recognize it.

>mse-game
I don't have a clue, lol.

And I don't think Wizard's likes too many shuffle effects these days, they'd probably say put it on the bottom instead (which there's plenty of precedent for in green so you're good).

Oh, I found it, it's a file MSE is using to reference things. Here, I made a zip with my file in it. Unpack it and put it into the data folder in the Magic Set Editor 2 folder. Obviously you should move your old mse-game folder first, or just delete it. Yes, I know the name is gross, but I can't remember my MediaFire account.

a.cuntflaps.me/rSFJZ.zip

>Kaine
Thanks, I'll make the change.

magic.mse-game is a folder, not a file. He needs to update it.

how do i update it then?

Just use the file I uploaded.

Could be wrong, but I feel like the effect could be cheaper since you and this guy both get hit virtually every time you use the ability.

The m15 template works but on some of the cards its a little wonky. And I am still getting an error message of some sort, but the frames work. Thanks :)

This should force you to pick an untapped creature. Otherwise if they have any tapped creatures at all, its "tap all creatures."

bamp

Seems interesting, but 6 power seems like a lot.

Seems cool.

Power pump with DTouch seems a little odd. I like the idea though.

Hi fellas I posted a while ago but I made some edits to these dudes.

Should I change how the poison counter stuff works?

>Blacksand Butcher
???

>Patient Firetender
Potshot seems interesting. Not entirely sure on the name though. "Potshot" seems more... underhanded than pingstrike. And please stop using these watermarks, they're ugly. I don't care that Wizards made them.

>Enforcer of Justice
The Rush ability should be first and should probably read
>~ can't be countered if it's the first spell you cast this turn.
Also not a fan of this name. And "spells and abilities" only applies to spells with targets (if the targets become illegal, the game has to counter the spell).

>Gambler's Game
I don't like most of this. I'd rather it be like Creeping Dread and only make that one player lose 3 life.

>Resuscitator Outlaw
Interesting. Not sure about the ability cost being 1BG though, maybe BG due to the restriction. As for wording
>Create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token. Activate this ability only once each turn.

>Solitary Shaman
?????

>Nightland Hunters
Come on. Things that affect the casting of a card should be put above things that affect a card once its on the battlefield. Well, I am kinda just assuming Rush is supposed to trigger on cast, you don't make it clear if this Rush ability is supposed to trigger on cast or ETB. With the other one it was obvious because it affected how it was cast. Anyway, I don't see why this is RG. Mono-Green, mono-Blue, or GU I could understand.

>Highland Eagle Pack
??????????

>Ranger Outcast
Why a cast trigger? Why not an ETB trigger.

>Final Retribution
Order them alphabetically. Artifact, creature, enchantment. It kinda upsets me that this is a rare when all the others are uncommons. And as for Rush... Don't put conditions on top of condition. If the Rush condition is fulfilled, just give them the bonus, don't put another condition to fulfill on top of it. And how are you using Rush anyway? WU and WB make sense, they both use W. But then you use it on a RG card?

>Potshot
Reminder text isn't rules text, but it should at least unambiguous. If I multi-block a creature with Potshot X, does it do X damage to each creature blocking it, or X damage to a single creature blocking it? For that matter, does the latter target?
>Whenever this creature becomes blocked, it deals N damage to each creature blocking it.
>Whenever this creature becomes blocked, choose a creature blocking it. This creature deals N damage to that creature.
>Whenever this creature becomes blocked, it deals N damage to target creature blocking it.

>Enforcer
You don't need "by spells or abilities", as that's reserved for spells that target and so may still need to be countered by the game rules for having invalid targets.

Also, since this modifies a cast, it should come before the creature's abilities.

>Gambler's Game
>...discards A card from HIS OR HER hand... return the card you discarded to your hand and each opponent loses 3 life...

>Nightland Hunters
Needs a trigger on the second ability. I assume its an ETB effect.

>Highland Eagle Pack
>When ~ dies, you may exile it. If you do...
See Academy Rector.

It's so weird to me that a keyword as bland and meaningless as Prowess became evergreen where god knows how many better ones were chucked aside.

Trying X-23 again. Will add the title to the final card, just easier to use iterations numbers without numbers in the card name. Anyway, this version trades DTouch for discard. Supposed to be a foil of sorts to Logan, who is 3/3, has DStrike and Indie, and also has the damage can't be prevented clause (supposed to represent strength of adamantium). Sorry to the user who said these guys shouldn't have Indie and should have Regen instead.

At least partly because it filled a spot as the UR evergreen keyword, though I don't share your opinion that it's bland or meaningless. But what other better keywords are you talking about?

>I don't care that Wizards made them.
p. sure wizards didn't make them, because they're so fucking ugly.

>...discards A card from HIS OR HER hand...
Uh, no. They stopped saying that a LONG time ago, because where the fuck else can you discard something from other than your hand? Also this card is confusing me as to what happens with 3+ players.
>Starting with target player, each player discards a card. If you discarded the card with the highest converted mana cost or a card tied for the highest, return that card to your hand and each opponent loses 3 life.

You need to work on ambiguous wordings. Games don't always have just 2 players and creatures don't always have just 1 blocker.

>p. sure wizards didn't make them, because they're so fucking ugly.

Also, a group of birds is called a flock, not a pack. Not to mention the fact that eagles are solitary hunters.

Wait, nevermind, apparently MagicCards decided to lie to me. Doesn't help that Gatherer for some reason refuses to show people what the cards look like on MTGO.

Oh, gross. I don't think that's how they officially appear in MTGO, though. Probably a game file mod.

They're not. Don't know why they're on MagicCards.

Alright so I revised these uncommons.

>Blacksand Butcher
I gave him more power and made him a perma-attacker that gives other creatures a form of evasion on attack. I might add some evasiveness on him, however.
>Desparate Measures
This was the uncommon B/W I wanted you guys to see. Its design is intended to give you a potential loot effect on your draw steps at the expense of your own artifacts/creatures.
>Gambler's Game
I still need help wording this. This is the intended effect:
>each player drops a card
>if an opponent dropped a card with a lesser CMC than yours, they lose 3 life
>you draw another card
Or something along those lines.
>Resuscitator Outlaw
Changed the ability cost to GB. Otherwise, nothing else changed.
>Highland Hunters
Procs on ETB.
>Ranger Outcast
Removed the restriction to cast on your turn. I felt like he would be more useful if he could make a card permanently castable from exile. Might make his effect trigger on cast again though so it isn't abuseable.
>Highland Eagle Flock
Made it cheaper, gave it flying (whoops lol), and fixed the wording. A little boring but a self-replacing flying bear is nice.
>Solitary Shaman
Designed to be useful against artifact/enchantment heavy decks and can act as removal. It's like a reclamation sage but slower.
>Patient Firetender
I wanted a RW Stormchaser mage. For what he does, he's pretty strong. Especially in his colors, noncreature spells can quickly make him a threat.
>Longhorn Deputy
Fixed some wording. He's a tax collector in the flavor sense and the gameplay sense.
>Final Retribution
Initially I didn't want to show this card with uncommons because I'm an idiot, but I fixed it while I was at it. It's almost a little bit too strong, considering it's an instant and can hit a lot of targets with an upside. I might scale it back to artifacts and creatures.

Why does she discard? Isn't she just "girl Logan"? Well, with a different backstory and whatnot. Her powers are basically the same. I guess she fights differently so that's one way you could separate them. Discard, to me, reflects mindfucks and delirium/madness/despair. X-23 is just... mean. Menace is fine, but I don't really see the discard. Maybe you can sell me on it.

I thought Luke's thing was he didn't want to get into fights? Maybe that was just later in his career? He struck me as kind of being like Jackie Chan in that he don't want no trahbble.

A note on Quickdraw: Use Ashmouth Hound's wording to help get it working how you want it to.

Rush is sort of interesting, actually. I've seen mechanics revolve around second spells, but not first.

Thought up a strange idea for a PW. It's simplistic, but it's twofold: the idea of an ETB 'Walker, and the PW itself as a concept. The former is likely much more interesting than the latter. In case anyone is curious, the ult is cribbed from Devouring Greed, and re-purposed for Zombie tribal.

Also I like the art, but I wish I had something a little less... racy.

Oh, sorry the artist is Skiorh, near as I can tell.

This really wants to be a creature, rather than a walker.

Also, all Planeswalkers are already etb walkers, since they can use their loyalty abilities as soon as they enter the battlefield.

Except when you give them an ETB, they get two things they can do when they drop. I feel like it's design space worth exploring.

It's fairly simplistic, yes. Maybe it would make a better creature, but it feels like it would be busy that way. I suppose the ETB and one of the two loyalty abilities put together might be alright. I have to say, I've always thought it funny how most people's reactions to my cards, especially PWs, are "meh". No real impetus to keep making them when that's the case, is there?

>Except when you give them an ETB, they get two things they can do when they drop.
Then just let one of the loyalty abilities do two things. There are some interesting things you can do with etbs, but cramming more value is not one of them.

Well then I'm sorry I wasted thread space, user. I like the idea, but nobody said you had to. We all have our opinions.

i feel like 4 mana for this is too cheap. if it was symmetrical (all players get the effect on their turns) 4 mana seems fine.

On last thread, someone posted a card with a Hi-Res M15 template. Does anyone have it?

holy giant card template batman! anyway, 2 seems to cheap for this, as well. I think 3 is the sweet spot, especially colorless so any deck can run it

Shroud seems too much on this.

For X-23 and Luke, I admit I just added those abilities haphazardly so they'd be more than just beaters. Bad choice, I know. Since X is supposed to be an assassin, what about replacing Menace with DTouch and giving her some sort of blocker mechanic similar to Luke? Another idea is attack trigger to kill a creature defending player controls, maybe -2/-2 or power less than X's power or something.

Haven't touched this in a while. Attackers are all declared simultaneously, right? And yes, it's pretty different from the original Koth, the idea was to show a move from just being a powerful geomancer (even though he still has those powers) to being the leader of the Mirran forces. I hope the abilities get that across OK.

But being completely honest, I also changed him partially because Nissa took the land animation archetype for planeswalkers.

Not on comp, but here's a different concept for X-23.

>When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals damage equal to its power to up to one target creature or player.
>When ~ dies, return it to its owner's hand.

If that's too good, I could add a cost to recursion.

I'm gonna say it... his name looks like a portmanteau of "gay" and "young"