Imagine a campaign setting where the Slime race is vastly more intelligent than all other races

>Imagine a campaign setting where the Slime race is vastly more intelligent than all other races

Even the Ooze race?

>Am I doing "sex" right
>Mmmmph!
>I'll take that as a yes.

Slimes, Oozes and Jellies are One Race, you Racist, you!

All I can imagine is a green planet completely covered in slime.

the next generation should always be smarter than the previous generation is.

>Slime hive mind
>A slime in every house
>The Day of the Slime is at Hand!

We had a slime character who with more mass, had better attributes. So with enough contiguous slime, there wasn't a limit to her intelligence.

> there is an inland sea, far from here, that has no water in it.
> Instead, all is slime. The same slime, a vast well ichor that has grown to immense size, and has been there since the early days of the world.
> It has no concept of you or me. The only intelligence it has ever known or understood is itself.
> It eats what falls into it, what the wind blows and the rains bring. It is not aggressive, because it needs nothing it does not already have. Anything it eats, it learns from. Understands. And absorbs memories from.
> It spends its days looking up at the sky. Observing the weather and studying the stars.
> If you are very careful, and very patient, you can sit along its shores and whisper it questions. It won't know you are there, but it will think your words are its own thoughts, for what else could be doing the thinking but itself? Whisper your question enough, and it will eventually murmur back an answer.
> You would be surprised the things the slime knows. What it remembers from back before man had unlocked the secrets of writing or fire.

We had something extremely similar this one time when we did a fully comic campaign. The slimes may not have been the most intelligent species in the world, but they were sure as hell very smart for giant amoebas. They had a dysfunctional democracy where every citizen could make laws for himself and fought totalitarian robots.

Yeah, I'd include that in my setting.

You'd better believe some enterprising sort would build a temple around it and have oracles to interpret is wisdom.

>A man once tried drinking from this sea

What about Puddings, Flans, Blobs, Goops, Mucks, Sludges, Blots, Molds, and Pools?

I feel you made some of those up.

Different user, but I have seen each of those terms at some point my life, from tabletop to vidja and beyond.

Puddings and Molds are definitely ooze-slime-jelly-related monsters from D&D.

I don't have to.

A homebrew some pals of mine were working on had a slime race where Slimes lived in a hive mind like pool, andwould send out Slime warriors to gain experience and share it with the rest of the pool. Whenever a slime finished adventuring they would leave the skeleton they were using as a "frame" and whatever armor they had next to the pool for future slimes to use. Also they used bone masks to avoid the whole "regular folks unsettled by talking to a featureless blob"

>slimes are motile, organic quantum computers
>each cell is a brain at least as powerful as a human's, processing-wise
>feral slimes don't generally get larger than a baseball and don't have a core
>larger ones do exist, but until they form a core, they don't have the intelligence to use that processing power
>a core typically forms when a slime's mass reaches a critical volume that puts it on par with a dog, size-wise
>capable of taking on a wide variety of shapes, colors, and textures, including mimicry of faces and entire bodies, down to hair texture, and smoothness/roughness of skin
>bodily slime vitrifies, like clay or ceramic, on contact with fire

And Flans are very specifically a Final Fantasy species

Only time I've seen a Mold in relation to Ooze type creatures is in an obscure game called Lost Kingdoms.

There's that massive fungus that envelops the Mt. Hood forest in the Pacific Northwest. If a slime could take over the world is say it could just patiently seed itself in the watertable and assimilate from there

An intelligent and massive, but nearly powerless fungus was my favorite element in a movie that shall not be named.

Sounds like End of an Era, by Robert J. Sawyer.
>Archaeologist Brandon Thackery and his rival Miles 'Klicks' Jordan fulfill a dinosaur lover's dream with history's first time-travel jaunt to the late Mesozoic. Hoping to solve the extinction mystery, they find Earth's gravity is only half its 21st century value and dinosaurs that behave very strangely. Could the slimey blue creatures from Mars have something to do with both?

First Person Singular from Long Earth by Baxter and Pratchet

Yeah i was also thinking this when I saw this thread.

>TFW it has already been done.
It would be interesting to do 'The Founders' in a fantasy setting.

Reminded me of the Great Link from star trek.

What happens if you take a bucketful?

You'd probably pull back a bucketless handle

You forgot putits.

That sounds dumb.

What, the Super Mario Movie?

That would be the horrible movie I was thinking of, yes.

STOP STEALING MY THOUGHTS REEEEEEEE

Also, the invading aliens in X-Com Apocalypse are slimes who create and control the bigger aliens.

Man, I hoped to be entertainingly wrong...

If it absorbs memories from things, how can it not be aware that other intelligences exist?

>Also they used bone masks to avoid the whole "regular folks unsettled by talking to a featureless blob"
I think people would be just as unsettled by talking to a skull face. Perhaps even more so.

>implying slimes understand the nuance

You'd think if they understood that people might not like talking to an amorphous blob, they'd also understand that they also might not like talking to a skull.

This.
What if a person feel in? Wouldn't it take those memories and immediately be aware that other intelligences exist due to the new memories? Or does it think that it just suddenly had a awesome idea for a setting or story?

>What if a person feel in? Wouldn't it take those memories and immediately be aware that other intelligences exist due to the new memories?
And probably immediately feel immense guilt at killing a human being.

it's simple really; the slime merely see these experiences as thoughts that suddenly pop in his head
He does not know that these from outside of his mind; do your dreams always appear as things that you would think about on your own ?