Is 40K kill?

Suptg. /k/ visiting.

I heard today that GW has decided to kill 40K like they did AOS. Is this true? I have tried sifting through some of the generals and news on this stuff but I can't really see a consensus.

Please fa/tg/uys tell me if GW is going to ruin my favourite and second favourite settings?

*like they did Warhammer with AOS. Yes I am incapable of coherent speech.

Well, people are scared of the "End Times" being upon us because of:
>Cadia falling
>Fenris burning and Prospero being remade
>Ynnead returning
>Roboute Guilliman returning
>rumor of Abaddon being killed by Cypher on Terra soon

"End Times" haven't been declared by GW (yet) and nothing in the setting has been fucked up like AOS, but people are worried.

Cadia is kill and anime is leaking in.

The game's been beyond help for a few editions now, it's about fucking time.

I'm now terrified. End times started fairly innocuous too then boom have a skirmish game which admittedly to this poor /k/ommando isn't all that bad but the setting itself is pure mountain dew shit.

Maybe this is what getting old is like? All the good stuff goes and the new stuff is lame.

The sales department now runs game development at GW. They're clearly building up to an End Times type scenario, after which they can replace everything in 40k with more family-friendly versions that use easily copywritable names.

They're advancing the setting, but the consensus from both leakers and official sources is that we're not getting "Age of the Emperor"

It's going from 2 minutes to midnight to 1 minute to, and momentous events are happening, but it's not the end

That said, some shit is going down:
Today, Bobby G, primarch of the Ultramarines, was seen on the front and inside of March WD - he, at least, is back from his stasis tomb and apparently not dying (his knees look suspiciously robotic)

The Eldar seem to think they can get their Slannesh-killing death-god out without ALL of them dying, so that's created a merger faction of eldar who want to go back to the Empire days, though they have opposition from Craftworlds and Commoragh alike

Cadia got smacked by the 13th Crusade, for realsies this time, and Saint Celestine came back. Tazryn let out an old inquisitor from his private collection, and told an admech dude a trick or two invilving Cadia's pylons.
This was a bad move, as they've exploded now

This sounds pretty dreadful.

Play non GW games. They're literally all better. GW is mass-market trash.

Rules wise sure. However I genuinely like the bombastic silliness of 40K. Sorry I know that craft beer brewed only by beavers wearing lumberjack shirts who only listen to music so underground it is made only by moles is probably gonna taste better but sometimes mainstream is mainstream for a reason.

>However I genuinely like the bombastic silliness of 40K.

I used to, but the writers increasingly take it all too seriously. 40k started to lose it's fun some time shortly before the start of the decade, and has only gone downhill from there.

>sometimes mainstream is mainstream for a reason.

Yeah - because it's something marginally satisfying that is gulped down by plebs to the exclusion of anything else because it has the social prestige of being popular and because they're too lazy to look for something better.

Can I politely suggest we agree to disagree before we start an autistic screeching match?

You can suck my dick and then kill yourself, faggot. :^)))))

I'll take that as a yes.

>I heard today that GW has decided to kill 40K like they did AOS. Is this true?
Probably not, and the rumors aren't pointing that way either.

President For Life Guilliman is coming back to reinforce the status quo. I do expect whatever 8th edition is to shake things up a little, but it's still going to be space marines shooting space aliens.

The Tau managed to get to the other side of the galaxy?

>Tazryn told an admech dude a trick or two invilving Cadia's pylons.
>This was a bad move, as they've exploded now
Weren't the pylons the things that made the Cadian gate exist? I thought they calmed the warp and created the safest path of travel from the Eye. If they're gone, wouldn't that remove all significance Cadia had to Chaos?

>If they're gone, wouldn't that remove all significance Cadia had to Chaos?
Ah, I missed a line in my explanation.

They exploded, and, with the help of a chaos fleet and a blackstone fortress, so did Cadia.

Everyone important got off, but Cadia itself is debris - the Pylons being worked pushed the Eye/gate back a bit, but now there's nothing to stop it expanding again (though the region won't be the pylon-stabilised space-highway into the middle of the imperium any more

No user not that kind of anime, this kind of anime

I cannot not be disgusted whenever I see that abomination.

That cat has a nice MAS 36.

The new Fulgrim model looks damn good if you ask me

>eldar players
>calling tau anime

GW literally said in a WD interview the Tau exist to cash in on the early 2000s anime craze. They're tailor made for weebs.

Is it a coincedence that Ynnead and Fulgrim look alike, or is this GW's unusually subtle way of telling us Ynnead is corrupted by Slaanesh?

Cadia didn't explode and is safe in the warp with a thriving population of daemons

Why are there no new IG models if CADIA fell?

>Fenris burning and Prospero being remade
Good end

Have a (you). That was the most convoluted and dumb point I've read today

There was no early 2000s anime craze.

Anime didn't get big until the 2010's.

>Please fa/tg/uys tell me if GW is going to ruin my favourite and second favourite settings?
They won't ruin it. It will be glorious death in flames unlike ignoble death that GW gave to WHFB.

Newfag here, is 8th edition all but confirmed for being released this year? Don't wanna buy a codex if an update is imminent.

sort of yes and if the codices remain useable is an open question.

The fact that no codex update has happened for quite some time, might mean they won't

>"End Times" haven't been declared by GW (yet)
In the discripton of Gathering Strom: Fracture of Bien-Tan they are talking about "the Time of Ending" That sounds like End Times doesn't it?

Where's the actual model? The whole thing just seems swallowed up by the blob swirling around it. Though I'll admit, the effect of those ground tiles being picked up into it along the base looks pretty cool.

That sound like they trademarked End Times and don't want them to be confused

>In the discripton of Gathering Strom: Fracture of Bien-Tan they are talking about "the Time of Ending"

Oh fuck didn't know that last bit.

God damn it, GW.

Stellar. Thanks.

"the time of ending" has been referenced continuously since 5th edition

the specifically mention guilliman now has to fight "the war to end all wars" and that it will take "many mortal lifetimes" to finish

>guilliman now has to fight "the war to end all wars"
... Austria invaded Serbia?

Nah, 2000 in the UK is about right. That was about the point where places like HMV would sell 4 episode DVD's for £20-£30 and students would just lap that shit up.
Borders started having a Manga section about then as well. Things like Guyver, Parasyte and Ranma, stuff like that.

Man, I wasted my Student Loan on some seriously frivolous shit.

Eldar are kill at least.
Commoragh has gone kabloom, and Craftworlds are fucked. The only Eldar faction with any plot relevance anymore are the "Ynnari" a bunch of Ynnead worshipping, Eldar killing cocksuckers that fucked their own race over and proceeded to resurrect Robutt Girlyman.

It's ogre for the Eldar.

No. Kindly fuck off.

Literally the opposite. For the first time in forever the Eldar aren't doomed to simply dwindle and die.

No, instead they are doomed to be killed by their own god of death and merged into some faggy "ynnari" faction.

Fuck this gay as shit.
CWE and DE are kill.
Only Ynnari remain, a bunch of tranny god worshipping prancing homosexual la-la men that kill their own kin to feed their god.

I certainly hope so. It'd end the stale shit we've been forced to endure for who knows how long.

Is... is pic somehow related or...?

Yes, space austria and space serbia though.

The thing that has me wondering is how would Guilliman react to the fact the Empire is now basically a theocracy crumbling apart. Are they going to gloss over that or go somewhere with it?

>The Avatar is the mirror of Slaanesh - they are siblings. His power comes from Eldar souls - hence he looks quite Slaaneshi. They are made of the same stuff.

False.

>The Avatar is the mirror of Slaanesh - they are siblings. His power comes from Eldar souls - hence he looks quite Slaaneshi. They are made of the same stuff.

Oh.
OH.
Ohhhhhhhh.
Okay then.

>Maybe this is what getting old is like?

I'm not even 20 yet

What's happening is VERY similar to warhammer End Times. Advancing setting, important things getting smashed, important lore characters who have no business in a game the scale of a 2000 some odd point game of 40k getting the Nagash treatment,the works.
It's not clear if it's anudduh shA-O-Sa yet, but it's pretty spooky stuff.

Hello, fellow young-yet-somehow-already-old human.

Don't forget that the different elf factions have been smashed together as well, lore and long established design conventions be damned. All we're missing now is it turning out that Vect was the one true lord of the Eldar. That, or Ahra is actually the real leader of the Phoenix Lords. Some sort of Phoenix King, one might say.

>political trends of people your age seem to lose the plot entirely
>art style and tone of your favorite settings is getting awful
>new video games seem soulless compared to older games
>Actually fucking everything does
>everything people my age like is awful
>unironically considering working to make my own table top game to satisfy the void I feel

HOW DID THIS HAAAPPEN TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

To an extent. If you are /k/ you are better off playing Infinity or Flames of War at this point.

weaboo was coined in 2005, wapanese in 2002

lcs and hobby shops were full of manga in the 2000's

The thing is, when the old stuff starts to lose it's charm you don't scrap it and reinvent it hoping to keep your fanbase and grow, you make something all together new.

When you're an industry giant you can do that, see overwatch.

>25 years old
>Why do I feel like I'm 55 years old?

You sound heavily depressed. Consider therapy (I'm serious)

I think there is this age group who remembers the time and started to like things before the internet assumed full control, and now as basically all media has shifted in tone to some degree because of it we feel as if we got old way too fast

Liking dwarf fortress and obscure shit table top games and thinking people your age are idiots doesn't make you depressed

That said I am depressed

I have no idea if you're , but, HOLY SHIT YES.

Sometimes I feel like I was born into the wrong generation. What makes it worse (at least as a chick) is that people automatically assume you're either part of that group, or some weird anti-social ultra-alt-right conservative (nothing against regular conservatives though) that is completely apathetic to everyone else. I get called a "bitch" for not being a libtard way too much. Ugh. Maybe it's where I live?

Gotta purge me some damn fucking heretics up in here.

>unironically considering working to make my own table top game to satisfy the void I feel

I'd be down for that if you ever actually made it.

We live in interesting times.

The decadant rot of Leftism has finally hit the point of critical mass. An entire generation has grown up, told that their history is one of shame and crime, that anyone who doesn't agree with that is irredeemibly evil, and that thus they are on the right side of history.

What we are seeing, is an ancient cycle. The death of an empire, from the internal rot and the ancient enemies of civilization.

We also live in a period of harsh and swift change, the like of which is unprecedented. Though tribal lines remain, we can communicate world wide in near real time.
This has reinforced many echo chambers, but also allowed truth to slip the reigns of those in power. The effect of this, is yet to be seen truly...

If there are historians in the future, ours will be a time that fills many a book. Doesn't make it easier to live through.

I think that's a consequence of the hyper politicization of the current time period. People who aren't massively convinced by either extreme end up fucked.
I think the internet has made people so able to immerse themselves in echo chambers that everyone has no fucking clue how to behave when they actually encounter the opposition in a setting other than hearing their favorite talking head talk shit about them.

I wonder if this hyper politicization is what makes us yearn for the good old days we never lived in. We live in a time and place where we're being pulled in two extreme directions at once, so we find a relative peace in the "middle" ground. It just so happens that we reach it by looking to history and keeping an open and inquisitve mind on matters.

I don't know about you, but I've always been a "mature" person, even as a child (I mean, I was obviously a stupid little kid, but I think you know what I mean). I'm fascinated by history and psychology, and seeing everything happen these days is like watching a horrible train wreck - I see the problem very clearly, but there's nothing I could do to stop it. After all, when you're an ADULT, why listen to this random teenager?

I hate it, because part of their thinking is good - I'm 19, my world experience is non-existant and I live in a time and place that's made me soft through lack of adversity. But does really mean my opinion is worthless, or that I can never be right until I'm older? I've struggled with this a lot, because EVERY teenager thinks they're the smartest person on the planet - why would *I*, realistically, be any different?

In a way, I feel like Donald Trump being elected is a major turning point. He's forcibly pushing the political pendulum the other way; what effect this has, exactly, has yet to be seen, but any change of pace from the stagnant idiocy of the regressive left is a welcome relief, in my opinion.

I live an hour away from Portland, and living in the bluest of blue states is killing me.

I feel that shit even here in Texes.
I'm just trying to ignore the political awfulness and focus my energy on improving my art and sculpting. I want to go full scibor/mom minatures mode.

>The decadant rot of Leftism

So dramatic, im swooning.

That sounds like a good idea, actually! If I was better at those things, I'd probably be doing the same. I like writing, though, I think I might get back into that pretty soon. Good luck on all your work!

>no anime craze in the 2000s
>DBZ subs go full Funi and revitalize the series
>YuGiOh happens
>Naruto happens
>Manga starts being sold en masse to the point Shonen Jump sells monthly collected magazines stateside
>Veeky Forums COMES INTO BEING

...yeah uh...you're wrong and dumb.

rekt

Will the Goons please stay in their fucking hole?

>Goons
Explain please.

>goons
>political
They're way less so than Veeky Forums. It's more likely local folks.

Also,
>goons
>relevant in the year 2017

>people I don't like are talking and instead of disagreeing with them I'm just going to reeeee
That's it basically.

>implying that user even know's what a goon is and isn't using it as a generic insult
jej

HEEEEEY YOOOOOOU GUUUUUUUUUUYS

We don't say *nd t*m*s anymore. The politically correct term is "Time of Ending".

Look on the bright side. God-Emperor model for 30k is confirmed incoming.

Young anons, I am you but 10 years older, and I have spent approximately 15,000 hours making the setting.

It doesn't change when you're older. Right now you're just some 19 year old. Ten years from now you'll just be some 29 year old who disagree with the majority of your peers. And they'll scream at you or disown you- not because you sided with their enemy- but because you weren't pure enough in their crusade.

California has like 100% of state congress as blue now user. I doubt Oregon is the bluest. Even so, my experiences in New Jersey were not kind. But moving to rural Missouri has given me much peace. The only news I watch is local, and its always kind and folksy and mostly apolitical.

This user has the right idea. Turning off the news has significantly improved my life. That's likely only to work if you can cut clean from the social circles that can't shut up about it (facebook and the like for me) and find a nice community to live and work in that isn't directly affected by all this craziness. Which, unfortunately, is easier said than done.

I will say that its a bit vain to think we're particularly interesting historically. I think we are about as interesting as the 1890s, when everyone was tense and increasingly nationalist but nobody could quite figure out why or what to do about it. It was the 1910's that historians study. But what do you honestly remember from the turn of the 20th century? Not much I imagine.

All I can say is that you should do your best to keep a level head. Don't let these idiots turn you into a vitriolic reactionary. Don't let people who call you their enemy define your political identity. Hell, try not to have a political "identity" at all because that's divisive partisan horseshit.

But I'm afraid we all know its much too late to stop partisanship from dismantling this empire eventually

>Don't let people who call you their enemy define your political identity. Hell, try not to have a political "identity" at all because that's divisive partisan horseshit.

Actually, my father and I have joked about how I'm "partyfluid" because I can really change from one "side" to the other over night. I think what you're saying here is good. I've always thought labels were unrealistic, they establish lines in the sand that don't have to be there, and let people judge one another based on a pre-concieved notion. A pre-concieved notion which could be completely different from the reality of that person's opinion.

I honestly think - though this may be very extreme and/or retarded - that we should just completely do away with political parties. If no one has a label they can abuse when running a campaign, and voters can't just check the box of whichever party they belong to, it would enourage more thoughtful and reason-based elections. Voters who don't care enough to do their research on some one running for an office probably shouldn't be voting in the first place.

I think that's the issue with democracy, really - if everyone's vote counts just as much as everyone else's, then you have the "unwashed masses" having a larger impact than the more involved or more intelligent individuals. That's not to say democracy should be dismantled, I believe in people's right to vote and all that. I just think it should it be set up in a way that encourages (and rewards) intellectual thought and debate, rather than virtue-signalling and party warfare.

You have to be over 18 to post here.

Overwatch is a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
Nobody does anything like that. Ever.
Almost always, they do what was previously said - scrap it and reinvent it hoping to keep the fanbase and grow a new one.
Inevitably that doesn't work.
Either:
1)It's so close to the old, that most of the old fanbase shrugs and carries on with it, but nobody new comes in. It's a 'reboot' that isn't a reboot, but everyone winks and nods, and the jackass from marketing thinks he accomplished something. If anything, a sales hit for two months while oldies grumble about one or two pointless changes.
2)All the old fans HATE it, but, on the other hand, they actually manage to pull in new people. Cue lots of skub, of course, but other than generating a lot of buzz, there's not necessarily an increase in sales. The status remains quo, and long-term, the company loses respect and goodwill.
3)They go and fuck it up, creating something that nobody new likes, and old fans can't stand either. Of course, marketing will continue to declare victory long after the defeat.
(Note that, because the corporation involved will pretend that 3 is 2, and alienated fans will pretend that 2 is 3, it's damn near impossible to tell which happened for a long time.)
Overwatch is the first time I can think of when a big company with a big IP said 'screw it' and made something new.

>This website
>relevant in the year 2017
We're all fighting last decade's battles, user.

/pol/ was very relevant in the US election, which is relevant to the world. They sort of ended up getting played by the people they wanted to patsy, but they still had a substantial effect.

The founders warned that partisanship and two-party politics would open the door for a powermongering demagogue. Washington, Jefferson and the like abhorred the notion of party politics.

You have Andrew Motherfucker Jackson to thank for that. Founded what is effectively the democratic party on a platform of handouts to poor white men. That became the party of the confederacy, and stayed that way even well into FDR's New Deal (which founded social security, among other things). It wasn't until LBJ signed the civil rights act that all southern whites abandoned the party, and the democratic party had to capitalize hard as the party that stood up for minorities at the cost of political suicide. It worked. Now it represents itself as a party that defends and speaks all minorities- not just ethnic or racial but also identity politics of all kinds- as well as supposedly still having a legacy of labor (which in reality it abandoned as it embraced globalism and free trade, which rendered domestic labor protections moot since companies just moved overseas).

Republicans meanwhile were the party of industry and capitalism since Lincoln, defining themselves as opposing government handouts and furthering their own industrial interests. Then they randomly got a massive white southerner voting block handed to them in the 70's and they started catering to religious conservative elements.

The reality is, the only reason republican got the southern voting block is because they had nowhere else to go. And the reason the two party system is locked in- and Andrew Jackson knew this- is because if the other party splits its vote, then the party that doesn't will win every time. This forces the other party to participate and cater to voting blocks it may find unsavory because if you don't win that block, the other block will.

That's our history. But internationally, history tells us another story...

tbc

like it ever fucking matters
in Europe they have a billion parties of varying degrees of shit, and none of them ever accomplish anything because they agree on even less shit than ours do, it's literally impossible for anything serious to get done because you can't get a fucking majority, ever.

Many democracies comfortably support 7 or more parties, like Australia or New Zealand. Each party has a comfortable representation in congress. It doesn't dissolve into a two party system because that would require other parties to cooperate and agree to things they don't like, when instead they can just side with whichever other party caters to their interests in this particular moment.

Furthermore, Australia at least has mandatory voting. Everyone votes every election. This forces parties towards centrism, to appeal to the majority who has no interest in politics but might easily be offended by radical positions.

The opposite is true in American politics. The party that wins now is the one that manages to energize the most voters. The more people think the world will end if their candidate loses, the more likely they are to vote. So both sides have to push and sell that like crack. Radical positions energize your base more than centrist ones. Sadly, it also energizes your oppositions base more than it energizes your own. This results in a negative vote "hatefuck" of an election. A sizable if not majority of votes cast are negative votes. Not votes for a candidate, but *against* another candidate. This is only possible in a two party system. And because negative votes are increasingly important, fearmongering and hatemongering are the most effective tools to get out the vote.

When the founders said partisanship would ruin the country- they had in mind the civil war. The seeds of it were there from the beginning. Jeffersons first draft of the constitution had an 8 page tirade about how slavery was evil. Franklin and Adams made him scrap it because they knew to beat England they had to unite w/ the South. Andrew Jackson knowingly took a populist position (handouts to the majority) to gain power, which forced a coalition and two party system to combat him. We survived the civil war. But so long as theres a two party system, there will be two Americas.

This amount of utter stagnation bothers me on so many inner levels I can't even describe it.

What the fuck.

Revolutions suck but if somebody came along and fucked up the voting systems of the world so this ended, I wouldn't complain too much.

Oh you sweet summer child.

Not getting anything done is the best thing government can do. That's part of the design. Its why we have this ridiculously complex process of bicameral majority approval followed by executive veto and then supreme court overruling. It used to be the minority party could still stall something with a filibuster, but when that became inconvenient we gutted and dismantled that. Somehow under the shortsighted delusion that this could only benefit the ruling party and they would never again be the minority party.

You want things to get done, might I suggest moving to a dictatorship? They get all sorts of shit done constantly. That's why they never last more than 50 years.

>That's why they never last more than 50 years.
This isn't factually accurate. They rarely last more than a hundred years, but it's not at all rare for a dictatorship to last until the dictator's natural death, and the issue isn't so much governmental overactivity as it is a lack of robustness in the means of transferring power. But some governments don't have that issue at all - Communists in particular seem to have sidestepped the problem by institutionalizing the party.

>implying China or Russia's 1-party politics is in any way sane, stable, or better than the West

I don't know enough about modern Russia, but the Soviety Unions failure speaks for itself. I know far more than I ever wanted to know about China. And know this user, the rats are already fleeing. The ship is sinking, and soon there will be blood on the water. However fucked up or unstable you think the US is right now, it isn't 1/10th as fucked as China is. That shit WILL burn in our lifetime. The question isn't if China's rulers will be executed in a populist revolt, but whether they will start a war as a last ditch effort to try and unite the country to an external threat and drag us down with them.

People are PISSED in China. The young people are too educated- too internet savvy for the censorship to do anything more than piss them off. The only thing that has mollified the country this long is the insane GDP growth. Which is slowing down rapidly as Chinese laborers demand better conditions and US companies move to Vietnam and Indonesia instead. And the final nail in the coffin is that the population reduction means that soon the young generation will be trying to support both an older generation that is larger than it, and a generation of young children. That will not hold.

Ironic, considering how much better things are than when the communist government was making so many active changes. Like killing everyone with an education as seditionists. Moving all professional workers out into the fields- seizing the land of farmers so that everyone had a small plot instead. Then demanding iron quotas from every citizen even though nobody had a mine, so people were forced to turn in their tools to meet the quota. Meanwhile rice yields went down for some reason and Mao declared the birds were eating the rice, so everyone should scare off the birds. They did, and then bugs ate all the rice.

You have no fucking idea kiddo. China is a wild goddamn ride of fuckups

What the fuck, China?

>better
At this one specific thing, not necessarily anything else. Whether it's the USSR, Cuba, or even North fucking Korea, communists are a lot better than fascists at transferring power from one singular individual to the next. Monarchs are still the best at it, as autocrats go, but they're not usually included in "dictators".

>all that bullshit that has nothing to do with anything anybody else was talking about
Discourse involves more than one person. Don't just blast off with your soap box at the first opportunity, save it for when someone actually wants to hear it.

>implying some one invested in this theoretical political conversation wouldn't be interested in what they added

continued.

The starvation was so bad in my wife's village that they ate every last living thing in the forest. To this day, birds do not chirp. There are no bugs. They ate everything that was edible. Everything. The rotten apples. The polluted fish. The skunks. Their brains. Their cartilage in the joints. Their bowels. All of it.

Meanwhile, the rice quotas for the cities were not being met. Mao punished the countryside, removing some administrators, imprisoning others, and "imprisoning" others. The next wave of administrators reported the correct quotas. They passed inspection by filling bags full of dirt and laying what rice they had on top of it. These were sent to the city. The country had no rice at all now.

Mao's advisors told him he was being a dumbass. So Mao killed his advisors. The next wave of advisors told him he was doing great. They still run the country. Or their heirs do.

So the provincial governors lie or they lose their head. The advisors lie or they lose their head. Anyone who tells the truth is the "problematic province" and must have fucked up. Not only does the chairman not believe you, but every other liar suddenly wants you to shut up. Tale a guess how that works out.

This "institutionalized" party you think "sidestepped the problem" is now the core of China's corruption. When the chairman came to inspect our town, they evacuated 30,000 people, detained them, and replaced every single goddamned one of them with paid actors and policeman. It was the soviets who invented the idea of a "Potemkin Village", but the Chinese middle government use it on their own National government. To pass inspection. They have to do this. Otherwise they're the problem province afterall. And all the other provinces help them do it. The advisors have his security detail afterall- they know his exact route. Every person in the restaurant. Every pedestrian. Every driver passing them in the other lane. Every last one- actors.