Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

No clever questions tonight, just talk about what you're playing, buying, pnp'ing, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hOfjtQ4VcCM
clowder.net/hop/railroad/KuckMosq.html
kickstarter.com/projects/odampublishing/the-shared-dream-0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just started a new campaing in Kingdom Death. We hunted a gorm for our first hunt, and killed him on his death blow card. We are going back for more, trying to make that sick nasty Riot Mace by LY 3

Thanks! That's good to know.

kingdom death seems like such a dope game especially since i was roleplaying and dungeon crawling before board games took over my free time
but man that fucking price tag

That's my real issue with it.
It's probably a good game.
But it's probably not a $400 good game unless you're really into the minis.

It is a hefty price tag for sure, but i've gotten my moneys worth of entertainment from it over the last year or two. I was lucky that my friend is a mini fag, and i'm a gameplay fag, so we split alot of the cost.

That Tash-Kalar thingamabob sounds like a pretty sweet game, does anyone have any experience with it?

Why doesn't this board have extended bump limits like Veeky Forums

Because it's not a dedicated general board.
Too bad it's mostly just generals and shitposting anyway.

I like it. It's a solid 2 player game and has a lot of replay-ability.

youtube.com/watch?v=hOfjtQ4VcCM

But kickstarter gave me Baseball Highlights 2045 and Stockpile.

Might as well post it here.
I'm thinking about a game that plays a little like Sentinels of the Multiverse, with a player-controlled big bad and a potential hidden traitor, with deck building elements... Magical Girl themed.

The game would be divided into night adventures and days. During night magical girls assume their powered identities and go on adventures played through adventure decks. Each deck has a win or lose condition for both the girls and the villain player.

During days players can upgrade their decks and rack up bonuses preparing for the next night.

Certain deck cards and day cards can only be used by acquiring the same sort of resource the villain uses, but that increases the chance that particular player will be turned into a traitor. I was thinking of handling this through loyalty cards like in BSG: loyal players get handed one each at start, with a small chance of a single one being a traitor card, then get handed more of them as they build up the bad (tentatively called Void) resource. If at least one amoing your loyalty cards is the traitor one, you are the traitor. I was thinking for Void cards to do more damage than normal, do weird unique effects and have the unique ability to thindeck.

Every player, including the villain, has to perform some sort of manipulation on the day deck from which opportunities and penalties are drawn at teh start of each day. Of course eveyrthing done in this phase has to be hidden from other players, so this is the opportunity for a hidden traitor to fuck things up (thisand a subtly less than spectacular performance during night adventures)

Thoughts?

Doing a kinda magical girl school setting I heard floating around this board a few months but I gotta ask something. How do I even dm school interaction? On top of that I want to bully my players properly. Just be a real bitch of an asshole. But I could use some ideas for that as well cause otherwise I'd probably just call them faggots all day, which wouldn't be wrong but I'm kinda the king faggot in all this and that would be bad form.

I think you should read Monster Hearts for inspiration.

Why don't any of the cool complex board games have online versions?

>But it's probably not a $400 good game
It's not even a $200 good game. It's about a 7 on BGG from my group's perspective. The components are great. The ideas for combat are rad af. The biggest problem with the game is the lack of balance. I don't know that the reprint solved any of the rulebook's issues such as frequent typos and poor quality control over the roll tables. I ran the probabilities on some of the benign stuff and it's just...astronomical. Like they definitely look unintentional in many instances. Using the nested rolls everywhere really killed the fun for my group. It would've been worth maybe $60 and they could've cut out the minis for that, then we could go in-depth to houserule all the awful nested dice systems. The hardest of which would be the double roll to hit on combat (W40k style but with like a fraction of the dice). Nah, not fixing a $200 game that deeply.

>No clever questions tonight, just talk about what you're playing, buying, pnp'ing, etc.
Busy being too flooded with ennui about games to play them. And haven't started my new job yet so I can't buy.

It's great. Depression is a helluva drug.

I spent almost double each that on all the Descent and Arkham Horror expansions

Only have Nerekhall and Labyrinth. What are the best minor expansions to grab?

Honestly, grab them all if you like collecting heroes and monsters. When played as mini-campaigns they are fun if you'd like a Descent-like experience played over a couple of evenings, but the fact that the last scenario happens right at the start of Act II when the players haven't had opportunities to get decent gear will usually screw the heroes badly.
The rumor cards are just inane bullshit. They give a lot, and I mean a lot, of income to the heroes iwth no real consequences for willingly throwing them to get all search tokens they possibly can. As if a 4-heroes game wasn't stacked enough agaisnt the OL... I suppose you could try them for a 3- or 2- heroes campaign though.

On the note of collecting monsters: the dragonmen (forgot their exact name) group from Lair of the Wyrm is probably the best monster group to date outside of the conversion kits and from the same box Quellen is a great hero and the Geomancer a great mage class (summoning three mobile figures treated as impassable terrain for monsters, yes please)

We've been using the android app and it breathed new life back into the game. Kept us from having to swap wholesale to Mansions of Madness 2e and keep Descent in the collection. This eliminates the OL player and becomes an ACTUAL FUCKING DUNGEON CRAWLER.

Hero Realms or Star Realms?

Star Realms for the tightest most skill building gameplay in the most compact setup.

Hero Realms for asymmetrical fun.

If you like it as a co-op game so much, there is the automated overlord system someone posted here a while ago, did you try it out?

I know its not as smooth as the app, but give it a shot.

Post it and I'll definitely go for it. I spent a week doing a hardcore conversion of the entire game system into an actual RPG. My group had an absolute blast. This was after I did a ton of hyper-customized and story-driven maps that gave a feeling of roleplaying and dungeon delving with each map having a "fog of war" plus multiple things to investigate, do tasks, and red herrings.

Just google it
RedJak's Automated Overlord

is there a social deduction game based off The Thing?
I feel like that would be a good ip to use for that type of game

There is a werewolf variant.

>The final payment is made, the final sample approved, the shipping information provided, and after lots of haranguing we have arrival dates to the US from the importer of High Frontier!

>Arrival to US port: February 8
>Arrival to our fulfilment house in Nashville: February 18
>Shipping to you: immediately thereafter!

Are you ready? Did you back it? I can't wait!

MY EYES!! GOD WHY!!

Panic Station, I believe.

Feast your eyes on this!

AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

What did he mean by this?

is this the board game version of aurora 4x

Dark Moon could very easily be reskinned as 'The Thing' where players attempt to determine who's no longer human and who still is.

I think a fun mechanic would be one that players can infect each other with "the thing". So it's no longer only hidden traitor but hidden traitor with elimination.

Yeah, STEEV mentioned panic station which I think does that.

No one?

For once I don't think deckbuilding would fit this kind of game, due to how the genre fundamentally works. Challenging an adventure deck would feel better if players felt in control, and deckbuilding with how your deck can fatten up quickly and giving you situational or useless cards can get pretty annoying. It could still work, like if all cards had different night and day effects, or if they have primary and secondary effects, but it would probably still be overshadowed by the skeleton of Dominion's remains.

I would propose a drafting system, as it would have more interaction with other players due to how it works, and perhaps foster teamwork, as you could intentionally let a player have good cards. It would be fitting with the concept of most magical girl shows.

You might also try the /gdg/ (game design general) thread.

As I had in mind, the deck would not be used during the day at all
A drafting system would work, but the problem of fattening the deck would remain since it would still add cards to the decks
But you are right, usually deckbuilders who are not Dominion fail at, well, not being Dominion...

I didn't know there was one, sorry

Nah, the idea is to soft reset your deck between rounds. That way you could keep some cards, but mostly be forced to keep to a certain amount. Here's what I thought of:

First you will draft maybe 10 cards. Then, you first take 6 cards which you want, and then pick through a set of cards that represent the type of magical girl you are. Pick up to 5 (maybe less) from that set, thin down to a total of 10 cards, and that makes up your deck for the night. Once you get through a night, you can keep maybe 3 - 4 cards from that deck (excluding the magical girl cards), which you will still need to later thin down to 10 cards. The cards themselves could be equipment that you immediately place on the table instead of adding to your deck, or cards you could play from hand, maybe even bad stuff like monster encounters.

The 4 remaining cards will be given away; one into the night deck to make it harder or easier, one a mostly positive deck (maybe call it the friendship deck) that could maybe have nasty stuff, and one to each of the players to your immediate left or right to add into their own deck (in addition to the 10 cards) without them seeing it. Here's where the traitor can do some of their evil things.

The end game and win conditions are up to you, but the adventure deck itself would probably be partially revealed during drafting so that players can plan around it, and would be shuffled together with whatever cards the players have added in.

Kinda different from what I had in mind, but I like it. It seems it wouldn't even need a player-controlled evil deck after all.

Oh, I completely missed that you wanted a villain player. Perhaps have a certain value on every card, and the villain drafts together with the rest, but instead of making a deck they would use the values to buy cards from an "evil" deck which would affect the adventure somehow, or add more cards to the adventure deck. That way you could keep adventure decks modular too. Not sure how to do corruption with traitors though.

No worries, I didn't mean that your post was off topic here. I simply wanted you to know you might get more / better feedback there. :)

30% off Armello on Steam - is it worth it?

Why people hate the artwork? I think they truly captured the 90s Master of Orion look and feel perfectly

I can't say that I've seen anyone here ever bitch about the artwork for Eclipse. Try better bait.

Not baiting, just seen people argue about it around the web, didnt mean that it particularly happens here

With even reasonable equipment, you'll generally be hitting on at least a 4 and wounding on twos on many monsters. The nesting dice issue comes up far less than you would think in actual gameplay.

I don't even like that game and will freely admit that it's art it perfectly fine. Certainly better than Exodus, which I like better for the same slot.

Still nowhere near as good as TI3 art though.

Posting in case anyone needs it

Someone get this man a graphic designer, STAT.

Bump

clowder.net/hop/railroad/KuckMosq.html

games i'm thinking about buying:

kemet
hive
neuroshima hex 3.0
citadels new edition
probably carcasonne and pandemic when i stumble upon them

but mostly kemet

there.

oh and i'd buy that fucking new dune game if it used proper imagery and not antropomophic ffg universe. why isn't there a great giger dune game with proper figurines, no dice rolling, etc etc

fuck it let it come with an actual sand box and one player is bene geserit who plants the worm beforehand and there is a lure option and whoever finds the worm's tail gets to ride it other gets devoured

>why isn't there a great giger dune game with proper figurines, no dice rolling, etc etc
Because the herbert estate wanted literally a million dollars for the license.

>no dice rolling
I don't remember any dice in Rex.

I pray for Brian Herbert to die every day so that someone competent might take over and put an end to the shitty books and give the license out for games again.

>69
>lots of money
He'll be around for another two decades, at least.

I really want to start playing star wars destiny but I hate that it's a CCG

Then don't. It's a super shallow game anyways.

If you wait long enough, there will be common/uncommon lots for sale like there is for magic.

Thoughts on this? Sounds like a fun co-op mini game with a neat aesthetic and theme, which hits all my markers.

kickstarter.com/projects/odampublishing/the-shared-dream-0

Hey /bgg/ I'm looking for a good car game, is Formula D any good? What do you recommend?

Formula D is probably the best of it, if you don't mind dice rolling. There's that one dexterity racing game and a deckbuilding(?) racing game too, can't remember the name of either.

I asked this in the Star Wars thread awhile back but never got a response

What's the general consensus on Star Wars Imperial Assault? I keep seeing it and all those expansion packs at my LGS and it looks like it would be fun. Kind of want to pick it up just to paint minis. Does it have a lot in the way of replayability?

It's apparently an improvement over Descent, with character specific side quests and the accuracy mechanic changed. If you can't find a villain player there's also skirmish mode, so there's that. Probably worth it if you like Star Wars and like the minis.

As a guy who is contemplating between this and Descent, seeing as I never saw starwars, its a big turn off for me, which kinda sucks since it looks pretty neat.

I guess I'll just get Descent.

Yeah, Descent is probably the way to go if you're looking for a theme-neutral game. Plus it has more variations what with being playable with an Overlord, without an Overlord, and randomized maps thanks to the app. Not sure if it has skirmish, I don't think it does.

The best part of Formula D is when you crash and therefor have to stop playing it.
Both AEG's Automobiles and GMT's Thunder Alley are so superior that one wonders why Formula D hasn't yet been swept into the furnace of history.

Neither really scratch the "racing" itch imho.
Thunder Alley in particular is very abstracted.

Formula D is a fine game really, It's not a deep experience, but not all games have to be.

>Neither really scratch the "racing" itch imho.
I don't think anything does, really.

Has anyone played the game 'Darkness comes rattling?'

Don't forget Doom is on the same system if you don't like Star Wars.

Looks cool but
>Kickstarter exclusives
:/

Thoughts?

Looking for games that shine at 2p count.
Are targi and castle of burgundy good choices? Other recommendations?

7 Wonders Duel

Neuroshima: Hex
BattleCon
War of the Ring
Twilight Struggle

Watch the videos Chaz did about his problems with it, and then watch the Jason/Tom autism video comparing it with Dice Masters. You'll never want to look at it again

Formula D tends to play too long and is ok but a bit lucky. Thunder Alley is the gold standard of racing simulators, but you really don't want to play more than 3-4 players with it or it'll be longer and boring. Automobiles by AEG is also really solid. Or just go dexterity and get Pitchcar or scour the interwebz for a rare copy of Roadzters.

Pixel Tactics
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn

Doom has a bunch of the guts chopped out compared to Descent and IA, it's so far simplified that I don't really think I can call it the same system.
But I do like it pretty well so far.

Castles of Burgundy is fun at 2 players. You might also look at:

Blokus
Carcassonne
Lost Legacy (card games series - small and portable)
Splendor
Stone Age
The Grizzled
Ticket To Ride

See also:

Forgot to add...

Android: Netrunner (deck builder - very solid 2 player game)
Spector Ops (Sci-fi Hide & Seek board game style.)

>tfw I found 3 copies of roadzters for extra cheap and I can do glorious 12 player races on super long tracks.

Takes forever to play but fuck me, we have a blast everytime.

I hate you so much, it's just not fair

star realms

>Netrunner
>Deckbuilder
>Specter Ops
>Hide n Seek

I was going to yell at you but I think you just don't know the terminology. Netrunner is a constructed deck card game. Dominion is a deck builder.

We call things like Specter Ops "Hidden Movement" games.

You are correct - I misspoke about Netrunner it is indeed a 'constructed deck' game. As for 'Spector Ops', I was attempting to explain it in terms more easily comprehensible to someone that sounded new to board gaming.

I've been looking at the delve kickstarter, and I'm still on the fence about it being a fun (and good for 2 player) take of Carcassonne.

That still in shrink copy of Nations triggers my inner autism. It's one of the best fucking games I've played, what the fuck are you doing OP.

Anybody else wanna share their autismo with us?

i might be retarded. how do i export my collection as image instead of csv?

Just use a browser plugin to take a full page screenshot if it's too big to just prntscrn, then crop.

I just view it like this on BGG and take a screenshot of the page.

that's way better then using paint and stitching 3 screens together.

Oh, you're one of these people who give their money to GW to support bad business practices and legal harassment.