I want to make a Secret World style tabletop. Where should I start?

I want to make a Secret World style tabletop. Where should I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?66772-Understanding-the-Dragon-A-Guide-for-Green-Green-Teamers
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shadowrun possibly as a base system? Never played secret world.

w...
you're kidding, right?
World of Darkness.

Delta green

FATE

But WoD has a lot of baggage and not a lot of focus on mortals/super humans present in TSW.

Closest thing would be like MAGE but obviously that's super overpowered compared to the more street level stuff.

Speaking of, Unknown Armies is a good starting point for at least a few ideas, but a bit too human focused for the more Lovecraftian Horror of TSW.

WoD Hunter, but then you can start buying Mage stuff with experience points.

Savage Worlds

Start by establishing what you actually want. What elements of Secret World do you care about? How do you imagine your ideal Secret World tabletop will look like?

Ideal? Players can choose several magic styles and both melee weapons and firearms. It's gotta have a bit of weeaboo fighting magic like in the game. Investigations, monster slaying, etc.

Obviously nix the being invincible thing in the real game.

Chronicles of Darkness (specifically Hunter), Delta Green, Unknown Armies, Urban Shadows...

>Where should I start?
Remove Dragon

Literally Hunter.
Like, literally.

It's as if OP came here asking what RPG to use to play Fallout.

Kult.

Which hunter would work best here? WoD original or CoD remake?

I once thought of using conspiricy X for it. But it has no magic rules. From what i know of nWoD, its probably your best bet.

I would like to be in your game :)
I also think that the game should include a tiny measure of the crazyness of the game, such as outfit selection and pets. But in small measure.

I dont know what i'd like to play best. Being British i probably fit in most with the Templars, but i think i like the illuminati.

I'm Ameriburger but I went with Templar anyway. The World belongs to the Righteous.

Also might be a bad time but not sure if I want to include literally EVERYTHING from TSW, like changing up some of the rules of magic and lore. I do love the money being Pax Romana though, of course the secret societies use the currency of the Roman empire, somehow still in circulation

>CoD remake

You mean nWoD, right?

ye. I mainly stick to D&D, but was considering a campaign like this and decided to pop into this thread.

GURPS Monster Hunters, with some detail from Cabal and Imbuements.

It's basically designed for fairly high-power Buffy/Supernatural/Hellblazer style games, and Cabal presents a really neat western-occult derived setting and global conspiracy VS ancient evils.

Imbuements is a perfect match for the supernatural weapon skills in TSW.

It can also handle the specific power-ups that Bees get pretty easily. Case in point attached.

Be more precise. What do you imagine the standard session will be like? What should you be able to do in the game? What is outside of what you want the game to be able to do? There's more to Secret World than just magic, melee and guns, so what are the elements of Secret World you want to make a game like?

Delta Green or Unknown Armies

>What do you imagine the standard session will be like?

I'd imagine something similar to a minor mystery or conspiracy leading into some combat and adventure.

It would start with something like a door appearing in some random old lady's house, and the party investigates. Around the door they find ancient Sumarian rooms and decode them to realize its a portal that an ancient Sumarian sorcerer made thousands of years ago to prepare for his eventual return. Then he comes through and you shoot him in the head with a shotgun and try to keep cover for your conspiracy. Maybe a chupacabra pops out of the cabniets halfway through to give it a little extra action, or something.

>What should you be able to do in the game?
Anything a human/magic superspy can conceivable do? It's a tabletop game, you should already know what you should be able to do in it. Obviously you don't have rules for everything, make it more abstract in this sense.

Perfect template.
Also yes, imbuements are such a perfect fit. They'd probably have lvl 3, though.

>Uncontrollable Appetite (Tacos)

You bastard

No

Yeah, i do love the holy terror side of the Templars.

But out of all the conspiricies, its possible that the Illuminati might just have the right answer.

Take this link for help understanding how to play Dragon.
forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?66772-Understanding-the-Dragon-A-Guide-for-Green-Green-Teamers

Also, i was thinking that if i played it the characters wouldnt have the buzzing ability.

>How to play Dragon.
>>Whatever happens, say "all according to keikaku" and pretend the plan really exists.

Right, so you want games to typically involve investigation and combat. That narrows the scope a bit, which is good. Now try to pin down some details:

a) Why does the party investigate the Old Lady's house (answer in general terms; why would the characters get involved in a typical scenario)
b) How do they investigate the house?
c) How do they decode the ancient Sumerian rooms?
d) How do they shoot the ancient Sumerian sorcerer?
e) How do they keep the cover for the conspiracy?

Further, consider the mood and tone you want for the game; a fun romp? A hyperviolent meatgrinder? A cold, gritty thriller? The Illuminatus! Trilogy or Focault's Pendulum?

(Now, the investigation-and-combat focus suggests that you might want to look into existing games in this genre. The two that come to mind right now are Call of Cthulhu and Gumshoe - and with the conspiracy angle, maybe Night's Black Agents will work.)

>>What should you be able to do in the game?
>Anything a human/magic superspy can conceivable do? It's a tabletop game, you should already know what you should be able to do in it. Obviously you don't have rules for everything, make it more abstract in this sense.
Despite trying for and speaking loftily about anything being possible, most roleplaying games tend to be bad at it. They may allow anything, but only in the sense that freeform RP does. So you should probably try to think of a narrower scope. You've said investigation and combat, so this question breaks up into two parts:

a) What should characters be able to do in combat and in investigation, and:
b) What should characters be able to do outside of combat and investigation?

"Anything" is the wrong answer here, because it doesn't tell you where to start looking for a game/designing a game.

He means CoD, Chronicles of Darkness, which is the new WoD line.

You just described how my mom deals with things: "It's all according to God's plan"

I appreciate your advice or help even if I don't agree with all of it.

Basically of course in most TTRPGs you can 'roleplay' things like social interaction and interaction with the environment but you need more strict rules for things like combat or chases to keep things fair in some way.

Basically I want a TSW game to fulfill a sort of setting blend with good rules for combat and some for character differentiation outside of combat. However I come from a mostly OSR background so I would have the players mostly roleplay or just explain what they want to do outside of combat instead of making them roll a skill check, but for this kind of game might be better to do it that way.

I also really enjoy the writing and most of the lore of TSW and wanted a game that captured that, but at the same time I don't know if I want to literally copy the game full sale. The reason why I say this is because, at least as far as I am in the main story, I kind of dislike the over reliance of the filth as the main villain. But I can't say that's how the whole game goes so you know.

You might want to givve 5e a look as well; there's modern-world 3pp supplements for it, Ultramodern5 and Amethyst.

5e could basically cover your magic and weapon use, and you'd be able to run the classes through solving mysteries, investigating the supernatural and running amok within the conspiracies with their skills, which are keyed to their ability modifiers, and roleplay.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign this link will get you modern armor and modern weapon proficiencies, namely firearms proficiencies for every class.

NO! BAD! STOP!

Do you hate fun?
You sound completely autistic.

What would you suggest?

oMage, but you're playing as unEnlightened crats/non-mage trads.

>implying there is anything wrong with just rekeying DnD into every game and setting

Doesn't explain how to get supernatural toughness or weapon skills.

I could believe blood magic being death/life arcana, Elementalism being matter/forces and Chaos being most of the others but not every character has to use magic like that. Some use weapons to supernatural effectiveness too.

Seconding FATE. I've actually run it a couple times using the Dresden Files RPG and it handles pretty well.

Specifically, it may yet work for the Secret World.

FATE is very and heavily narrative/fluff driven, so take as you will.

>Dude roll your characters smart trait to figure out the puzzle
>YOU DID IT LOL
>Have a fate point XD

>There are people who think this game is acceptable

>being this assblasted at people enjoying themselves

I'm not sure that's how FATE works, yo.

That guy in your image needs to get his balls smashed repeatedly with a metal bat, that's also on fire.

How about Veeky Forums making our own system for it?

nWoD: Hunter specifically

Just instead of super natural bullshit, Shadow Government Bullshit.

I don't know anything about WoD or Hunter.

Does Hunter allow player characters to use magic spells and such? Or is it just mundane combat/social focused? Historically WoD games are also hard to separate from their fluff, could you easily take the core rules of WoD Hunter and put it into TSW?

You can assert whatever system you want, but you have to explain why that actually works.

There's a few Conspiracies that can cast magic, the Decedents of Lucifer is one.

But most don't.

Hell, there is a Red Neck 'Conspiracy' whose trump card is a technical.

Hunter is really about mundane assholes killing supernatural assholes.

Care to actually explain the rules or are you just going to be vague and shitty about it?

Hunter the Vigil, the CoD version of the game.
Hunter the Reckoning's interesting, (though it's perhaps a bit too 'Millenial' in its outlook), it's a very specific idea - people granted powers by 'Angels' (we never flat-out say they're angels, but they're totally angels) to fight monsters, who gather together through a secret website. Hunter the Vigil, on the other hand, is big complex web of different conspiracies. It's where CoD got its 'tier' system, one of the key components that finally allowed the line to not be shit.
You have Street-level games, which are just about local schmucks fighting monsters in their neighborhood, with no real idea of greater stuff.
You then have the next level up, which consists of organizations that know about and combat the supernatural, but don't necessarily have any major tools of their own; just knowledge. You get groups like a website devoted to recording footage of monsters, an alliance of union workers who keep their neighborhoods safe, and relic hunters who secretly work for the ridiculously old and repentant members of the Thule Society, trying to clean up the remains of their mess.
Then, you have the Global level, where there are groups with big grasp, and big tools at their disposal. There's a government spec-ops team with high tech, keepers of dangerous artifacts who don't hesitate to use the artifacts in the field, a crazy corporation (implied to be made up of Pentex guys who escaped to CoD from WoD) who implant their agents with monster parts that can malfunction in terrible ways, and more.
It has some issues, but lots of people like it. From what I've seen from Secret World, it seems the best way to recreate it.

There's everything wrong with that and you fucking know it.

>Hunter the Vigil, the CoD version of the game.

You never explained what CoD means in this game.

>(though it's perhaps a bit too 'Millenial' in its outlook)

What does this even mean.

Chronicles of Darkness. That's not hard to figure out.

>What does this even mean.

It means literally what he said, that it has a millennial feel to it, of something that was created in the 90s and early 2000s.

CoD means 'Chronicles of Darkness,' and encompasses all the new continuations or retcon versions of the original World of Darkness games.

CoD is the same thing as nWoD, or 'New World of Darkness,' just with shinier and more cohesive branding.

>>(though it's perhaps a bit too 'Millenial' in its outlook)
>What does this even mean.
I'm not totally certain what he means there either. The "hunter-net" stuff isn't exactly indicative of the Millennial generation given that Millennial are obviously not a factor in BBS subcultures and/or the dot com bubble that would have had a way stronger influence on those concepts.

>CoD means 'Chronicles of Darkness,' and encompasses all the new continuations or retcon versions of the original World of Darkness games.

None of them are continuations; all are retcons.

> Millennial generation
Not 'millenial' like the generation, 'millennial' like it was written in 1999 and the vibe that the world could end soon because hurr durr numbers was a big part of the game.
Plus, hunter-net is very very web 1.0.

Write a lot of interesting fluff and then attach it to shitty buggy mechanics.

Gratz, you're done.

Blades in the Dark