>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

What are you expecting from UA Sorcerer?

Other urls found in this thread:

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Sorcerer,Favored Soul (UA)
theangrygm.com/fighting-spirit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bear is probably the way to go for this but i'm also strongly considering the totem of the wolf for my barbarian. party consists of artificer, wizard, and forge cleric

what do you think, /5eg/?

Bear will serve you better, wolf really shines if you have another frontliner (fighter/ranger/paladin etc), but without those heavy hitters it falls behind.

>have natrual affinity for necromancy magic
>as a child not even notice as you constantly have a really weak version of soul drain active
>people just get tired with you around, without even noticing.
>people start subconsciously associating you with the tiredness
>people being to natrually dislike you

how is that?

I've never seen a wolf barbarian in actual play. Does it have to be a tough frontliner, or could a melee rogue work? Those guys always seem to need a melee partner.

>5E
>All these 5's
It's a sign!

Rogue will do, monk is another good one given how many attacks they can put out. Generally characters who can make multiple attacks per round, especially early on (two weapon fighting or PAM, action surge etc) get the most of Wolf totem.

I'm quite new to 5e, but I have chance to get a game soon. I need to know though - is there any equivalent of 3.5 favored soul class? IE spontaneous casting, charisma based cleric variant?

Lore Bard is a spontaneous charisma caster that can pick spells from ANY class and gives no fucks. About as good as it'll get.

Yes, but I'm mostly for the "divine" flavour. And standard wisdom based cleric not really fits my concept either.

...Nice.

Also, your concept is okay, too. Could veer on the edgy side, but that's not inherently bad, and it's a good start thus far

Alternatively, is there any "divine" (allowing CG alignment) power source for sorcerer or warlock? Both would fit as well.

Spontaneous and preparation-based casting have been merged into a single casting method for 5e. Everyone prepares their spells, everyone can cast any spell they have prepared in any slot that's big enough.

The charisma based casters are the Paladin, Bard and Sorcerer. One sorcerer option is the Favoured Soul, but it's not the same as the 3e version, it's still an arcane caster, and it's currently in playtesting/Unearthed Arcana.

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Sorcerer,Favored Soul (UA)

...but apparently you don't mind too much about that, so go for it.

Warlock has Undying Light. Seeker might allow it. Undying (not light, just stupidly similar names) might too.

I like it.

Oh, thanks. This UA favored soul is just perfect for what I seek. I just hope my DM will allow it.

I miss primal spellcasting as a separate thing from divine spellcasting

as a DM, should I actually "tell" or show players where the enemy's aoe is on a spell that doesn't seem obvious (like Slow), and instead just tell them "he casts a spell, you feel slower until you walked over there, now you feel fine."

I'd forgotten that the Druid wasn't in the first 4e PHB.

continueing this
>as you grow older this is becoming stronger nad more prelevant
>reaches a point if you maintain skin to skin contact with someone for more 20 minutes you risk killing them
>eventually you premanently cover your entire in bandages to make sure you absolutely won't touch anyone
>reason for going on a journey is to find a way to counter it and actually let you touch others

DM says it's OP, but I can't think of a way to nerf it without making it obsolete, he suggested something like "you cast a spell on your bandages to prevent it", but than what's the point of going on a journey if you can solve your problem by doing the equivalent of swallowing a pill 3 times a day.

I really like the quirks they added int he UA stuff.

do you guys know what a thrallherd is?

You know what, I'm all about science fantasy and what not so I want space magic.

I think a cool idea would be a sorcerer who gains cosmic magic because they were born when a new star came into being or died.

Yes, a Thrallherd is a psychic based class from previous editions who could get a Thrall that was basically a slave.
But they loved it because you're a psychic mind rape machine.

Just use a GooLock

so is each feature for the totem barbarian locked into that specific animal totem

ie if i am bear totem, can i use the eagle aspect of the beast?

No, the barbarian class never allows any significant choice to be made post level 3 outside of multiclassing

found this on RPG Stack Exchange. is this correct?

"Here are the legal permutations of cantrips and lvl1+ spells used as actions and bonus actions:
•Cantrip(action) + Cantrip(bonus)
•Cantrip(action) + Spell(bonus)
•Spell(bonus) + Cantrip(action)

Here are the illegal permutations:
•Spell(action) + Cantrip(bonus)
•Cantrip(bonus) + Spell(action)
•Spell(bonus) + Spell(action)

Yes. If you cast a soell as a bonus action, the only other spell you may cast that turn is a cantrip. It doesn't matter if the spell you cast as a bonus action was a cantrip or not.

but you can NOT cast a Spell as a Regular Action + Bonus Action Cantrip, correct?

This thing is about done, just needs some wording fixes, and I'd like some suggestions to work with for Frost's Fortitude so it doesn't feel so... Weird.
Like, Wisdom doesn't make sense, and my only other option is Constitution, which feels too strong, but I wanna make it come across as these assholes being hardy and tough to get through.

In the particular example of a spell such as slow you can get away with not doing so. When it comes to something like flaming sphere on the other hand it's readily apparent which areas around it are or are not on fire, so you can communicate this to them. If a spell's area is not readily apparent you should not tell them unless they make some extra effort and have some ability to analyze the spell itself.

Just make it so that touching is actually you using your action to cast a necrotic cantrip or something. Against a commoner that would probably kill them, against most monsters you fight it's just a normal attack.

a dude who controls a herd of npcs
as we can see from necromancer's experience, it doesn't end well

This desu:You have Chill Touch as an actual Touch thing.

I'll make Dex a little more balanced, improve Int, and have it make sense with a single rule change.

>Initiative is now determined by INT modifier, because quick thinking in dangerous situations and not freezing up is more important than how quickly you can move.

Thoughts?

Wisdom sound more appropriate

Did I stutter? If you cast a spell as a bonus action, the only other spell you can cast that turn is a cantrip. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

What's a good way to run a riverside ambush by a rival group of warriors? I want more dynamic fights. The party will be coming from the land to the river to catch a ride on a ship, and the ambush crew will hit them at the dock

>What are you expecting from UA Sorcerer?
>hopes
Alchemical Sorcerer that gained magical powers not because of his lineage, but after preparing and drinking a special elixir.
Make it an alternative option to moon druids with their DPR/tanking oriented forms (while still retaining full casting while not transformed) with something like a chemical rage mode/transmutating yourself into a chimera. Maybe make your raging chimera ability LEGO-based: you expend sorcery points on adding different body parts: tentacles, horns, heads, acid breath etc., in the same thematic vain as 3,5 binders/totemists.
Side abilities could involve effects boosting the effectiveness of your acid/poison spells (like acid/poison version of elemental adept, maybe?) as well as some ribbons like free alchemy/herbalism kit proficiencies.
>expectations
Fiendblood sorc.
Mechanicus-based sorc or a nature sorc.
An underpowered gish.

Wisdom is the single most powerful saving throw around, with Constitution in the second place.

Wis saves are often just "make this or you can't do shit the whole fight" or alternately "make this or you spend the fight killing your friends."

im dming for my family for the first time and im running LMoP. they were just flushed out of the cragmaw hideout twice and dont seem inclined to go back in. any ways to pique their interest to explore the rest of the cave? and does anybody have any modifications to the module that they recommend?

So I assume there is no way to do a Far Realm/aberrationy char beyond a GOOlock, right?

Doesn't seem to have much actually thematic about them, though the level 14 prize of getting a permanent flunky (which could be an Archmage or Warord) is sweet.

So, if a character falls into water and gets dropped to 0 because of the damage they take from the fall, they start making Death saving throws.

Does being unconscious underwater effect that, or is it just straight 3 death or 3 saves? If they stabilize do they destabilize immediately until they're saved? What exactly is the appropriate series of rulings / actions.

IIRC the Mistborn RPG includes intelligence, just in a weird way.
I think it was something like: players first announce what they're planning to do in a round by order of dumbest to smartest, meaning higher-intelligence characters can take into account what the rest of the party is likely to do before making their own plan.

This answer is right, I just want to make sure you know you can't just walk away from slow. It effects creatures, not an area, normally.

Yeah, I feel like there definitely should be more Far Realm options. I kinda miss stuff like aberrant wildshape and such.
I guess you could kinda go Shadow Sorc with a "dunwich child" flavour and claim that your hound of ill omen is actually a doggo of tindalos.

I agree, the Sorcerer had a lot of good paths in 4E.

The totem barbarian has you pick which feature you get at each level you get a subpath feature with choices. You can flavor this as a multi-animal totem (like a totem pole) or as a creature that encompasses all the selections, like a griffon for pack leader and angry flight.

So why is it exactly a druid cannot wildshape into an owlbear or a hippogryph?

What exactly makes it so a giant spider is okay, but a phase spider is not?

Or why the dire wolf is viable, but the winter wolf is not?

Magimachines, son!

Because 5e is babby's first RPG and magical beasts scare the developers after 3.5's horrible CoDzilla builds.

Well one thing I found interesting in 3e was that Animate Dead, Magic Jar and Polymorph yield very similar results: the idea that magic can appropriate or duplicate a body's physical parameters pretty well, but magic can't commandeer/duplicate magic quite as well.

Or to put it another way, you could use magic to project a blast of fire or cold, but turning into a dragon or a winter wolf's shape has nothing to do with it.

In the case of the druid I think its probably NATURAL WORLD MUMBO JUMBO.

This pretty much. They just decided to make beasts shit (compared to REEL monsters), and it's pretty safe to say we will never see anything like MoMF or Warshaper or Aberrant Wildshape Feat.

well I know that.

I was looking for an in universe explanation.

Owlbears are not really much different from any other wild preditor, yet they are monstrosities.

On the other hand this abomination is considered a normal beast

Not being able to turn into owlbears is harder to explain than not being able to turn into critters with innate supernatural powers, yeah.

The Owlbear is an abominable creature metaphysically stitched together with powerful magic

I'm expecting UA Mystic.

You can pick multiple animals too at each interval.

Bear is probably the best 3rd level though.

HEX GET

is it viable to have a high INT character for checks and RP situations, even when their primarily a DEX/STR class? like a high ranger who uses his INT checks to solve problems where his strength would fail him/ pass other INT checks outside of combat?

Yet now they seem to be the same as any other forest creature, they reproduce and bear cubs the same as any beast.

Then theres the claims by fae that they have always existed in the feywild as a natural creature.

What are your favorite aspects of UA? I personally really dig the Storm Barbarian.

depends on DM.

Im playing a warlock and I really wish my Int was higher now because I have to make an insight or arcana check for basically everything.

1) Magic

2) Fey fucking shits lie

ah, so a more lenient campaign would be a yes, but in one where we're facing incredibly difficult encounters it may be better to have an optimized character.

Alright I've got a Halfling Ranger in the party and he has a Giant Badger for his companion.

Now it's medium and he's small so obviously he rides it around but what should I do about its burrow speed? RAW there's nothing stopping him from riding it while it digs right?

Also after digging can medium and small creatures go through the hole? It seems like it would make sense but I'm kinda worried about them using it like a siege engine.

I'm homebrewing some stuff, and wanted an opinion on how useful or not useful constant resistance to fire and cold damage would be. Too situational? Too broad?

Good. I honestly hate wildshape, and I think it should be replaced.

So, if a character falls into water and gets dropped to 0 because of the damage they take from the fall, they start making Death saving throws.

Does being unconscious underwater effect that, or is it just straight 3 death or 3 saves? If they stabilize do they destabilize immediately until they're saved? What exactly is the appropriate series of rulings / actions.

every round they will take one automatic death failure because they are drowning

I wanna throw two ogres at a party of 6 level 1s. Would this kill them or would action economy win out?

>only unique feature of the class aside from hippie flavour
>replaced

did one of them cast mordenkainen's faithful watchdog?

You do understand that they can oneshot any player on a somewhat lucky roll?

No
Its a party of 1 primarily ranged fighter, 1 bard, 1 warlock, and 3 barbarians.

So they take an automatic fail, AND roll for a chance at a success or fail? Or it's just a fail?

If they stabilize, does anything happen?
CAN they stabilize?

Well I feel stupid now. I'm running theangrygm.com/fighting-spirit/ to change the feel of the game. I've completely forgotten to take it into account for CR calculations. I should probably just assume they're one level higher than they are for the most part.

I mean as a player I honestly think that throwing deadly/high danger encounters at such low levels is fun. Players don't have much options at such levels, and if your character gets one-shot and dies, it's like, whatever. You did not manage to get attached to them yet.
At least wait for level 3, when most players get their class features.

does one of them have a +9 orge slaying knife?

You're choice, depends on how lethal you want it to be.

If they do stabilize though I would have them remain unconscious until someone dragons them out of the water and resuscitates them, otherwise they will die in 20 minutes or so from braindeath due to lack of oxygen

>Trying to align a large map to a Roll20 grid
Suffering.

You can only have one bonus action per round correct?

how do you mean?

If someone wants to spend their action on it, I would say they would be able to make 3 bonus actions

>At least wait for level 3, when most players get their class features
For what? Throwing deadly encounters at them or changing the way I do CR calculations?

Mystic was a mistake. A poor class that should be scrapped and instead use the concept to make archetypes for the Monk, Barbarian and Sorcerer.

RaW, unless you have a special ability saying other wise, you get movement up to your highest speed, 1 action, 1 bonus action, and 1 reaction per turn you take.

I thought the way it worked was you could have one action, say attack, and then you could cast a spell as a bonus action.

That's what I thought, thanks.

>Single casting method for 5e
>What are spells know vs spells prepared...
user, you don't have to lie to kick it.
Just admit you haven't actually read the PH, or refrain from posting about things you are ignorant of.

"The Great Day of His Wrath" by John Martin. He has a lot of pretty neat Armageddon type paintings.

you can only cast a spell as a bonus action if the casting time is 1 bonus action

You cast a spell as a bonus action only if it the time it takes to cast is a bonus action. And if you want to cast two spells the full action has to be a cantrip.

>4d6 drop the lowest
>14, 11, 7, 15, 13, 9
What should I do with these stats?

The one major change I made was to move the sidequest concerning the dragon to after they finish Wave Echo Cave and hit level 5.

kys

Is it in order? I hope not because that's a seriously shit con stat right there. If it isn't then you can pretty much do whatever, it's about the same as the standard array.

Running out of breath and suffocating knocks you to 0 and starts death saves, so if you're already there there's no extra effect

>When a creature runs out of breath, it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying.

If a character falls in water while at 0 HP, they are dying and start making death saving throws. I would say no automatic failures unless they take actual damage, but until they are taken out of the water they can't stabilize. So they just keep rolling death saves until 3 failures or until someone gets them out of there.

Which is the best Fighter Archetype? I've been looking at Battlemaster, but how useful are the combat maneuvers?

>If it isn't then you can pretty much do whatever, it's about the same as the standard array.
Standard array with -1 to each dump stat. It's a really sorry roll.

BM is the one I see recommended here the most

Very useful, and for all kinds of play styles. If you're working only off the PHB, it is probably the best. Champion is alright, while I feel Eldritch Knight falls a bit flat to what you would expect.