/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls General

Bracing for new retcons Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos

Previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/wiki/General:Loremaster's_Episode_of_ESO-RP_ZOS_Interview
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>go to sleep
>wake up
>250+ posts of mostly ESO and arguing
Okay. I hope everyone's got that out of their system.

>necro meatskirt
What did he mean by this?

You know, spare parts for your everyday DIY'ing

That's her band. She's the front man.

It's actually Necrom-Meatskirt, the format is just weird for spacing reasons
Another weird dish from Necrom
This particular hagraven is a gourmand of sorts

So as I've done in the previous threads, here's another update to my language map of Tamriel. Once again, the black lines show different languages (or dialect groups that don't fit in another category, i.e. the Breto-Nordic dialects and Ashlands Dunmeris) the dark gray lines represent dialect groups while light gray lines show individual dialects.

I've started working on the dialects of Hammerfell as well as locating the Alik'r Yoku-speaking area. Reachspeak reaches further to the south and Dragonstar is now divided between the Redguard Tamrielic and Nordic speaking inhabitants. On Vvardenfell, I've added the areas where the old Dunmeris of the Ashlanders is used, as well as marked the area beyond Ghostgate where the various followers of Dagoth Ur speak in an archaic dialect (although they probably communicate between each other in alternate ways, also).

Maybe those eyes are still blinking

Theres a beard who made a ridiculously autistic linguistic map of High Rock and is now working on Skyrim.
Generaly he compares the different dialects to real life languages but the result still works, he also made this map with different Breton ethnic groups in High Rock.

Dont have it saved tho.

Interesting, that's something I'd love to see.

asking him to post it, ill post it here when i got it, Its fairly well made.

There are some more Ashander groups within the Morrowind mainland aswell. Mostly contained within the Deshaan plain.

Yes, I'm aware. I'll get to mainland Morrowind.

Anyway, I'm thinking of redrawing the Imperial Isle as several cities. I'm not sure exactly how I want that to look. Here's an interesting sketch I found online.

Man, I wish it had been something like that

Here's another pic I thought was interesting.

those are cool, where from?

I found them through Google, one from DeviantArt and the other from Reddit.

we posting maps now

so whats the deal with calcelmos stone? why did they just translate it out of the blue and then go quiet again?

leftover lore they had around, brought it to "hype" the Special Edition.

Concept map for Skyrim Home of the Nords

Morrowind feels great in 21:9

Here's Tamriel Rebuilt's

How do Silt Striders float?

They do? I always assumed they just walk.

they dont

The female equivalent of Necropants. And yes, that's a real thing.

How do they walk such great distances on those spindly legs then? They have such massive bodies. What do they eat? Leaves? Are Silt Striders just giant insectoid giraffes?

They jump surely.

That's why they look like big fleas.

They walk at around 15 mph.

They eat birds and butterflies, which is why you don't see any in Morrowind. Sometimes, the occasional N'wah their master throws them.

Internal gas reservoirs. Like armored netches, with legs evolved enough to help them propel themselves along the ground..
Strider breeders cut away the topmost reservoir to serve as cockpit and cargo space, and at the same fell swoop limit the strider's speed and stamina so it doesn't run away at them.

Don't the tamers also poke their nervous system to move them?

Yep. Poor Silt Striders.

Their inspiration does, but I doubt they do in game considering how it takes hours to get to a location and how much cargo would be destroyed.

Honestly they seem to be fairly well treated all things considered if Dragonborn is anything to go by.

I've always liked the idea of the inner most Imperial City being Ayleid in origin: Huge white slabs festooned with carvings, almost Egyptian like.

Then the next ring is from the Alessian era, and is almost Islamic in its refusal to adorn buildings with depictions of people/objects.

Then comes the Old Empire, which is largely brick. Statues begin to come back at this point, but that's the only major depiction of people/objects.

Finally is the New Empire, which is typical fantasy Ancient Rome with white marble. Statues are everywhere.

Why do all the Nords make fun of me for my short stature? I'm a Knight of the Dragon and I demand respect due my station!

Because short grils are cute. Be glad.

>I demand respect due my station!
Too bad your station is around 160, Bretonlet.

They gallop.
>It was literally a longshot with the beast gaining distance and the silt strider bouncing me around at full gallop.

You mean average height? Unless Dunmer and Imperials are man/merlets as well.

Didn't you get the memo, any race below 1.06/1.03 is a manlet because Nords are the main race.
1.1/1.08 is too much, however and makes you a lanklet and gets in the way of stealth archery and murdering your family because you want to can't worship a Breton in public.

>Breton
DREAMSLEEVE CONSTABULARY NOTIFIED, ENJOY THE IMPERIAL DUNGEONS

You can hide, what's inside, TalOS. You're a Manmer and always will be!

> 1.06/1.03
> 1.1/1.08

What does that mean in non-clown units?

Interesting idea, Though I think making the inner ring itself bigger is also important.

I really want an entire elder scrolls set in one almost full size city.

Did Tamriel rebuilt move the various cities to the mainland like the concept map? Those are good points, the world was decaying and we killed the one being whose job it was to put it out of its misery... But if we weren't supposed to kill him why would his dad give us the means to do so?

>Nords and Orcs used to be the same height
>Orcs are taller now
Death of the Nordic race incoming

>Did Tamriel rebuilt move the various cities to the mainland like the concept map?
The only one that showed up in Morrowind that was supposed to be on the mainland is Ebonheart but they just call it Old Ebonheart. I don't see any other on the map that are supposed to be on the mainland but show up on Vvardenfell.

Nord height in games, and Altmeri height in games.

If we go off of historical records and take nutrition into account, 1 would be 5' 6" or 7". Since it's Bethesda, it could be 5' 8" or 9". There's no definite answer.

>not dedicating your life to a holy order
Though Lord Bridwell is a formidable man, I'll give you that.

Wouldn't the Tiberian empire still just fill the old areas with their own decorations and statues though? Creating an interesting contrast and juxtaposition between the underlying architecture and more permanent fixtures like some Ayleid bird motif stuff etc with notRoman Imperial aesthetic stuff just kinda "jerry-rigged" around it

I picture it like that as well. I'm thinking a large part of the old architecture would be built over throughout the centuries, with the best showcase of the original Ayleid style being present on palace grounds and in the sewers, maybe the Elven gardens district as well.

>TES VI
>Bosmeri men are the same height as the women, 1. Start out with +20 Archery, whereas other races only have their highest skill at +10.
>Redguards are spellswords
>Bretons resist 20% of magic and are now the shortest race. They have their Morrowind voice back.
>Nords resist 25% of frost and have some other useless racial.
>Dunmer resist 25% Fire, their new voice being the one from Oblivion.
>Argonians go from being squishy in Morrowind to hearty and health regenerating. They only have Thief abilities.
>Altmer receive +100 magicka and no weakness to balance it out or give any risk whatsoever.

It didn't have to be like this.

>die prettily
I'm sorry, what?

>Then the next ring is from the Alessian era, and is almost Islamic in its refusal to adorn buildings with depictions of people/objects
I don't really imagine Alessians to be particularly iconoclastic.They're not strict monotheists. They venerated a plethora of saints and spirits with all sorts of symbolic representations and totems.

Ars moriendi.

You'd think living that kind of life would put a smile on his face, wouldn't you?

He's just some random person I found on the streets. He's probably jealous.
Or he's afraid that I'm going to bully him because he has a girl's name.

>epicureans
kind of strange they are using a term directly alluding to a greek philosopher.

It's pretty jarring, and they should probably have worded it differently, but it's kind of how it has to work since the games are written in English. Every now and then there's going to be some words or phrases that don't make a whole lot of sense in a made up world. So I get that it happens.
But they should definitely avoid adjectives that are based on real world persons. Language is an important part of immersion, after all.

Also, funnily enough the most common meaning of the word "epicurean" has relatively little to do with Epicurus himself.

What exactly happens when you cast a levitation spell? Are you unbinding yourself from gravity?

You're believing that you walking in air is natural and using magic to enforce that belief.

Read the book Breathing Water. It makes Alteration sound pretty interesting.

Thanks

Breton girls are attractively short, so short they're the shortest females and the second shortest overall.

The idea was that the Alessians shunned everything they saw as "Ayleid" in their religious fervor, such as the carvings and depictions the Ayleids did (which often involved humans getting horribly murdered, turned into necromantic servitors, and then forced to work in factories or murder more humans).

On the other hand realistically everything would just slowly blend together as time went on, but whatever.

I dare say, I better like this map than the one in the game.

It's a pretty natural instinct to want to build statues commemorating victory.

I wish I could tell if you were joking

Same with Icarian, referring to Icarus.

In lore, it's probably another word in Tamrielic just translated to the closest English word for the player.

It should be pretty obvious.

Khajiit females are just as short, and weigh only 0.05 units more.
They're not as much of qt's as Bretons, I'm personally not sure if I would do one. In real life my boner would probably have to make that decision.

Is it wrong that i keep seeing parallels between LOZ and TES?

The ending of Majora's Mask is effectively a dragonbreak mashing together all the side-quests you beat in the different three day cycles, and Windwaker Link effectively Mantled the Hero of Time rather than being a standard reincarnation,

Nah, TES is such a huge part of my life that I often see parallels and use it for mental reference. Hell, it's how I learned about Thelema, Kalpas, and Gnosticism in general.

As for the use of time in Zelda, that's not too uncommon, especially in stories where time travel is involved.

Considering Windwaker is one of my favorite videogames of all time, it's odd to hear about this mantling only just now. I thought he was destined but just didn't know it, if that's not the case, could you elaborate?

Even the more spiritually attuned beings like the KoRL, Deku Tree, Valoo, and the fish say "No, he doesn't have the hero's destined spirit inside him" for most of the early game. You have to EARN that shit.

By walking (Boating?) like Link till he walks (Boats?) like you.

>Morriel: Well, fine, well fine. You think just because I have two mouths I'm the one that does all the talking, ugh. Companions, I mean, honestly ... Well, you see, there was a ... there was an elf, a Bosmer, I talked to recently, and he had a bit a question - I-I had no idea why he didn't know this - but, you see, I'd like to ask about Bosmer antlers. You see, the last time this has been asked, as far as I understand, I had heard that Bosmer have- wear a lot of cosmetic - or prosthetic, I suppose - antlers on their brows, and a few have them, you know, magically grown from their skulls. My question is, I've seen about three stages of antler growth when - well, observing things - and it makes far more sense to me, at least, that they're related to the chaos times, or so, one of the gods, like Hircine or Y'ffre. I mean, yeah, they're [elves] with antlers on them, but where do these things come from?

>Phrastus: Well, I've never been to Valenwood [Vay-len-wood], but I ... I'd caution you against assuming any single or simple answer involved with those reprobates the Wood Elves. Now, I daresay that most antlers worn by Bosmer are cosmetic and removable, but I myself have met a Treethane who had a magnificent 6-point rack growing right out of his cranium, and it was no prosthetic! Now, he told me that he'd had it magically grown upon assuming his title, as a symbol of his authority. The spells were sung -

Huh?

An interview with The Colonel about ESO lore and Bosmer having antlers.

Instead of acknowledging the glamor and original reason why Bosmeri men were short and more monstrous, he says it's a weird fashion statement.

So wait, they make weird IC rewrites of interviews with the devs? At least that gives them an "Unreliable narrator" excuse for all their bullshit right?

And I know nothing about the Bosmer's oldest lore so I can't say much there.

Yup.
uesp.net/wiki/General:Loremaster's_Episode_of_ESO-RP_ZOS_Interview

Sadly there's a pretty substantial chance of this answer not being retconned if ESO is considered canon in the next game.

As for Bosmeri lore, I think it's one of the more interesting avenues TES lore has taken. I can't say I'd want to be a Bosmer or even live in Valenwood, but it's a very definite subversion of the Wood Elf trope that's characteristic of all the TES cultures. If you haven't read it yet, A Dance In Fire is a really good series.

That just seems like such a convoluted way to address it.
They could just have gone along with the more established idea that Bosmer, because of their nature, sometimes grow horns or really weird animal features. And that's just the way it is.
Instead thy went with it being cosmetic, which is just kind of odd. So for example, if you start as a Bosmer with little nubby horns in Morrowind, that's just some fashion. And since it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that a prisoner to be able to keep his detachable status symbol horns, they're probably little nubs that the PC must have gotten magically grown at some earlier point in his life.

It doesn't matter a whole lot, and I personally don't really care what ESO does or doesn't do, the whole take on it just strikes me as weird.
I do fear further Tolkienization of the Bosmer though, but I'm not going to indulge in pointless speculation about that.

To be fair, Altmeri women do have those weird baubles in the red hair, but even then that's a bit different than having horns, which already has an answer.

But yeah, the more I look into ESO, the less I like about it.

Except that image has literally nothing to do with it, depicts lore that was never actually implemented, and contradicts pre-established lore to begin with.
The Bosmer are not fucking goblins, they're elves that know the secrets to transforming their shape. This has been how the games and lore have treated them since Redguard, and a thrown out "concept" art is by no means a reason to see it as otherwise.
Even ESO acknowledges this in the very text those quotes are pulled from.
>Yes, sung, by a particular kind of aether-priest called a Namespinner, and she was able to perceive the Treethane's protonymic, and unweave it slightly and then chant a new suffix into it, thus actually changing the Treethane's physical form. Or so he told me, if you want to trust the word of a Bosmer

Why did Bosmer men stop being shorter than them? Bosmer men should always be the shortest. Bethesda is ruining their games.

I mean a fucked up wild hunt offshoot could be an origin for goblins.

Also as much as I decried the cool looking but very un-apelike and therefore un-TES goblins in ESO apparently the Riekling faces were going to be for normal goblins so Bethesda themselves almost made that fuckup.

Better diet for the ones that move out of their home province and mix meat AND veggies?

user, they listed many creatures to describe the males, it's obviously a list of how they would look when transformed for that creature.
Just like how they listed swanmay for females.
The image could be interpreted to imply gender defines what you can turn into, and maybe males have subsets where some can only turn into a certain creature.
I'm not sure why you would ignore everything else listed in the image in an attempt to discredit it, and yet go on to believe they are still shapeshifters.

And further still, that doesn't make "oh it's a fashion statement prosthetic" a good idea.

The image pretty much flat out states that the reason those Bosmer look the way they are is because they "lost their power of glamour."
In other words it's stating that they are unable to cover up their appearance, and that is supposed to be how they naturally look.
This is incorrect because the Bosmer are Elves, their natural Elven form given to them by Y'ffre. Their ability to shift their form is due to their own insights into knowledge and revelation of Y'ffre, not because they're horrible monsters who just insistently dress themselves up as elves.

...right, but I'm not seeing any contradiction here.
What makes you think being naturally ugly means they can't transform? Why do you think being ugly isn't elven? Why do you have to be a monster to be ugly?

>What makes you think being naturally ugly means they can't transform
I don't even understand what you're getting at when have I said they can't transform?
But I seeing as you've mentioned it the image states that the have lost their ability to glamour and are therefore implicitly stuck in that shape.
>Why do you think being ugly isn't elven?
It's not about being ugly, and why are you repeating that word like I've said that?
The things in that image are clearly not Elven in appearance and if you deny that you are being purposefully irrational. The natural appearance of the Bosmer is how they have consistently appeared in the games.

My issue with the image is that it implies that the Bosmer are just strange creatures who only try to masquerade themselves up as Elves, when they are in actuality Elves with the ability to transform into creatures (if they know how to).

You keep changing your argument from "image says they can't change" to "image says they change into elves" and back.
Whatever your actual argument is, you aren't expressing it clearly. But that makes sense because you misunderstand the image in the first place.
>it implies that the Bosmer are just strange creatures who only try to masquerade themselves up as Elves
Is simply wrong.

They have thin pincers, probably to pick up vegetation and strip branches.

>You keep changing your argument from "image says they can't change" to "image says they change into elves" and back
Where? I honestly have no idea what you are talking about? I'm not even making an argument, I'm just pointing out why I don't like that image.
>Is simply wrong
If you think I'm misreading the image can you at least have the courtesy to explain why you think that's the case?

>/tgesg/ - Quality Discussions

>The things in that image are clearly not Elven in appearance
But at least two of those faces were implemented in Morrowind.

>The Bosmer are not fucking goblins, they're elves that know the secrets to transforming their shape.
The picture doesn't say they're goblins you illiterate retard.

Three of them, actually if you take the nubs off the bearded Tarheil one.

>If you think I'm misreading the image can you at least have the courtesy to explain why you think that's the case?

What's the 3rd one?

I was awaiting the ESO shill to arrive. I can't wait for the new DLC to come out so you can shit down our throats about how Morrowind was shit and isn't canon.

I always just figured bottom left was either pic related and/or Fargoth by the overtly thin/length, and from the exaggeratedly haughty features.

Y'know, I LIKE the look of ESO goblins, but they're definitely not Elder Scrolls baboon goblins.

The top one doesn't really have the ape nose/mouth,