/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Roboute Guilliman appears in your game" edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Tell us about your leaders. Inquisitors, IG commanding officers, Rogue Traders, whatever your Marines and heretics work with. What are they like?

Other urls found in this thread:

pikabu.ru/profile/JusticeZZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How many deaths do you average per Only War session, on the PC side?
at least one, right?

The last OW game I was in had more PC deaths from player turnover than actual combat. Was pretty disappointing when I joined on the communicated expectation of lethal combat, then found PCs were bubble-wrapped and the GM was reducing NPC damage just in case.

I had one of those go on for too long, too. I eventually quit after none of us had even taken a wound that I didn't intentionally neglect my save against... in ten sessions. As Guard with regular flak armor and no vehicle.

Combat isn't that bad if you know how to use cover, suppressing fire, and grenades. And you know when to scramble.

how do you deal with players all taking inescapable attack when you're majoritively sending them against monsterous beasts (they're on a deathworld) that don't use cover?

Make the thing toughs enough to take the attacks? It is a deathworld, they should be pretty damn lethal.

Six session 3 characters deaths.

They've gone through ALOT of comrades though.

What's everybody's favourite enemies for Rogue Trader?

I always make them fight Necrons.

But meme aside, I'm fond of the Yu'Vath and their weird shit for something out of left field, or orks if you want to be straightforward.

>rest of the party in DH is getting murderfucked by genestealer cult and going full horror movie
>I'm telling stories over the campfire to local soldiers having a great time

What do you even do against stealers? Every fight against them in multiple campaigns ends with near tpki

My favorite are Chaos Space Marines, for the following reasons:

A. My Rogue Trader and his gang of noble outlaws despise Chaos in all of its forms, yet are extremely xenophilic when it comes to making allies (though they are still very much, "Humanity First" in making deals, agreements, and alliances). As such, they are almost certainly going to fight them rather than attempt to buy them off or deal with them indirectly.

B. Chaos Marines are very tough to kill even for higher-level PC's, because the stats I use for them are basically "Space Marines 2.0" and throw in corrupting weapons and Daemonic artifacts when applicable. Furthermore, I can use a small number of them as champions and leaders for a gang of mortal pirates or renegades, or I can scale them up and use them as a full-on Warband of Marines with hordes of lesser mortals acting in concert.

C. When I run these extremely skilled enemies, I play them as they canonically are - extremely intelligent warriors with centuries if not millennia of experience, and who work so seamless as a group that it's almost as if they're a single machine (except when I run Khornate Berserkers or one particular Slaaneshi reaver band, because of their personalities). As such, they use every tactic in the book with extremely high-quality weapons and gear: if the PC's are behind cover, they will flank or flush them out with grenades; if the PC's can greatly out-shoot them, they'll either get in as close as fast as possible to negate that advantage or they'll pull back to better positions; they will use their own body mass to literally punch through obstacles like walls and rockcrete cover, creating new openings and flanking the PC's from unexpected angles; they will arm themselves to the teeth with the best gear they get that is appropriate for their mission; and they have absolutely no compunctions about collateral damage or anything resembling morality.

In essence, I play them as Anti-PC's.

My awesome explorator pretty much makes it a rule that she refuses anything but "best quality" implants.

Recently two questions have come up:

She has a best quality Bale Eye, which means that it is impossible to detect with causal observation and even if detected it just looks like and extremely high quality augmentic eye. So if she is making eye contact with someone and uses it shouldn't they just automatically take a full hellgun magizine's worth of autofire to the head? It isn't like they can dodge, It is a best quality hellgun fired at point blank range with no warning and it can do autofire, assuming the targewt is just talking to her face to face and she lets rip i can't see how a mortal opponent would survive.

Second issue: Best quality Mind Impulse unit. Simple question: Having used a MIU to pilot a cruiser, would could she pilot a knight titan?

Baleful eyes are automatic?

>So if she is making eye contact with someone and uses it shouldn't they just automatically take a full hellgun magizine's worth of autofire to the head?

Automatically? I would say no. However, she'd get a shitlload of modifiers in her favor.

There's still a chance that the opponent can detect something last-minute, or that something catches her eye RIGHT as she fires, causing her to miss.

Also,

>Having used a MIU to pilot a cruiser, would could she pilot a knight titan?

Theoretically yes, but she'd have to make the Titan like her first. All war machines of the Imperium have Machine Spirits, and the Spirits of some machines, such as Knights, proper Titans, and Starships, are very overwhelming and in some ways almost self-aware. This is especially true of Knights, which retain mental echoes of previous Knight Pilots swirling around in their Spirits, to the point where it is entirely possible, and canonically does happen, for a Knight or other large machine to straight-up overpower the Pilot and operate almost on its own, doing whatever it wants regardless of the Pilots wishes (and usually the Pilot themselves is also sucked into it, wanting to do what the Spirit wants to do).

MIU's by their very nature operate both ways - it's entirely possible for a Machine Spirit or other artificial intelligence to force its own mind down the MIU and end up controlling the person, and this risk increases exponentially as the machines get more complex and larger in size to the point where starships and Titans are almost sentient entities in their own right.

Toss phosphex, turn 360 degrees, and walk away. Let the problem solve itself.

>Toss phosphex, turn 360 degrees, and walk away.

...into the phosphex?

Also, where the fuck did you get Phosphex from? That shit hasn't been around since the Heresy because it was literally sentient napalm with a murderboner, and even Destroyer squads were like "Eh..." about deploying it.

Ready actions with weapons no less powerful than heavy bolters.

>Having used a MIU to pilot a cruiser, would could she pilot a knight titan?
Probably not. The fluff is pretty vague on it, but the augmentations that Knight Scions go through in their rituals to be able to pilot Knight Armours imply that it's much more than a simple MIU. And since it lengthens their lifespan to hundreds, possibly thousands of years it most certainly is a lot more esoteric and involved.

On top of that, it also seems to be some kind of gene-scanner is built into the Throne Mechanicum to prevent people of the wrong bloodline (i.e, those not of a Knight House) to be unable to pilot a Knight Armour. And as mentioned, theres the psychic imprints of a Knight Scions ancestors in the Throne Mechanicum that may very well have severe objections to someone that is not their descendent trying to pilot their Knight Armour, as well as the Knight Armours own machinespirit.

Tl;dr It's complicated and somewhat vague. But probably not.

Could I ask for general tips on running Deathwatch? I'm running a 30k game(I was the one asking for space chaos dwarves last thread) and I've decided the basis of the first mission( Boarding action) but I'd like general pointers on how to go about stuff, because I have no idea what I'm doing.

>That shit hasn't been around since the Heresy
The STC to make Phosphex was destroyed as late as 009.M40 and may still exist in small quantities in armoriums across the galaxy.

t. Codex Skitarii

...Are you me? Because that is exactly my mindset with CSM. You stole the words right out of my mouth, you magnificent bastard.

-Use the errata.
-Lower all Ground Vehicle, Spacecraft, and Walker armor by 5-7 front, side and rear. These armor values were balanced around pre-errata weaponry, and become hard to pierce with post-errata weapons. Skimmers and Drop Pods are fine.
-Use the errata.
-Retrofit some of the more useful weapon qualities from other lines, like LVS, Maximal, Melta, etc. Remove the 1d10 extra melta damage if you do this.
-Use the errata.
-Know that some careers are better than others. Assault Legionaries struggle, for instance, unless you make special accommodations. Librarians, a consul type in the Great Crusade, are fucking nuts.
-Illustrate clearly when assets are available, and know to balance combats when assets are summonable.
-Relics always make for fun missions. Try to personalize them for your players rather than digging through the books, to make that personal connection. Legionary relics in particular are highly sought after. Look to Horus Heresy Book 4 for some ideas.
-Don't allow Alpha Legion infiltrators.
-Try to give your players options in the missions, putting them in the position of power to choose. They get more involved if they get a say in mission selection, asset deployment, etc.
-USE THE GODDAMN ERRATA.

You can also try some of the stuff in the Great Crusade Testing Ground zip file. It's got four new specializations (breacher, seeker, recon, and destroyer), as well as an advanced spec, the Consul, plus new weapons and vehicles, from volkites to Fellblades. Breacher is the only one I've gotten feedback on so far. Ignore Destroyer - it's garbage and needs a rework. The Consul has been tested out, and does what it's supposed to, mostly. Otherwise the weapons should all be good, but adjust the points as you deem fit - that's a WIP document and none of the req costs really make sense.

It counts as a best quality Hellgun. She can look at a motherfucker and deliver line of sight Space Marine armor shredding autofire in a literal blink of an eye.
>Automatically? I would say no. However, she'd get a shitlload of modifiers in her favor.

There's still a chance that the opponent can detect something last-minute, or that something catches her eye RIGHT as she fires, causing her to miss.

So they might detect a facial expression, a weird double blink, a subtle glow, a weird social clue, SOMETHING that screams to them 'you really need to duck right fucking now'

That makes sense, 40K has so many people with superhuman senses, psy abilities and so on that someone would get a hunch or detect some clue that a normal human would miss. Also gives her a almost fool proof heretic/xenos detector: If she looks someone eye to eye and they somehow avoid getting their head blown off by a point blank hellgun shot to the eye they are obviously enemies of the Imperium.

If they die they were obviously lax in their vigilance and thus enemies of the Imperium.

>Theoretically yes, but she'd have to make the Titan like her first. All war machines of the Imperium have Machine Spirits, and the Spirits of some machines, such as Knights, proper Titans, and Starships, are very overwhelming and in some ways almost self-aware. This is especially true of Knights, which retain mental echoes of previous Knight Pilots swirling around in their Spirits, to the point where it is entirely possible, and canonically does happen, for a Knight or other large machine to straight-up overpower the Pilot and operate almost on its own, doing whatever it wants regardless of the Pilots wishes (and usually the Pilot themselves is also sucked into it, wanting to do what the Spirit wants to do)...(ect)

She was considering trying out the control throne of a Imperator but decided against it, it was kinda busted up and haunted.

cont.

Good to hear I'm not the only person who runs CSM as more than Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains.

Some other things I like to do while running them:

>Chaos Lords are not only extremely intelligent, but also have incredible willpower and ruthless drive and often can be extremely charismatic. Dealing with one is an incredibly difficult task without either spammed Plasma weapons, heavy ordinance, or weight of numbers, and that's just if it's him by himself. He will always have the best gear and be one of, if not the, best fighters of his group, and combine that with his intellect makes him an absolute monster to deal with.

>One major flaw of Chaos Marines, however, is their arrogance and disdain for anybody not them. This means that, intellect aside, they may sometimes be reckless and careless when dealing with mortals because they simply believe they aren't a "real" threat to them. It's possible to draw them out into traps (though once the trap is sprung they'll immediately respond with maximum force and bring out the rape train) if a commander plays his cards right and conceals his strength when dealing with them. However, once the enemy has proven himself to be deadly, this recklessness will often disappear.

>Chaos Marines possess hate and spite beyond anything PC's could imagine, and their memories are LONG. They are willing to destroy entire worlds purely to satisfy some perceived slight, and will go out of their way to annihilate anybody who draws their anger.

That said, I still like to remind the PC's these dudes are straight-up evil. During a session where the group was fighting Chosen in a street full of terrified and fleeing civilians, one of the Chosen literally picked up a passing child and threw it full-force at the Arch-Militant and knocked her on her ass. While she was knocked down, the Chosen buried her in Bolter shots from 3m away, and she had to burn a Fate point to survive. The child, of course, died horribly

>She was considering trying out the control throne of a Imperator but decided against it, it was kinda busted up and haunted.
>Imperator
An Imperator *TITAN*? One of these fuckhueg city-killing God-Machines? Smart girl, that machine spirit would probably have killed her.

Why are you helping the newfag

She is thinking of acking for a newly made knight in exchange for the Titan, she would be the first to imprint on it's machine spirt.

The augments a Knight pilot has are pretty trivial and basic, nothing like the units used to control starships or larger titans. The implants a Knight pilot has are less complex than a Space Marine uses to control his armor or a dreadnought. I find it hard to imagine that someone who could pilot a cruiser could't handle the machine spirit of a Knight, especially if they were the first pilot.

>theres the psychic imprints of a Knight Scions ancestors in the Throne Mechanicum that may very well have severe objections to someone that is not their descendent trying to pilot their Knight Armour, as well as the Knight Armours own machinespirit.

Which is exactly why she stayed the hell away from the Titans control throne.

While we are on the subject: Why don't starships machine spirits reject people in the same way? It seems the less crew the harder a machine is to master. Is it because the crew form a psy gesalt so them more of them that accept the new commander the easier it is?

>She was considering trying out the control throne of a Imperator but decided against it, it was kinda busted up and haunted.
Good move. Trying to control an Imperator solo would be like trying to catch a cannonball with your teeth, and would have about the same result.
>Why don't starships machine spirits reject people in the same way?
They do. A cruiser's machine spirit is massively vast, and is fully capable of melting a person's brain out their tear ducts if it gets pissed. Most ships don't care enough to do that, some will, and most of the time you have over a dozen crew members helping share the strain.

A Warlord is the smallest pattern of Titan that can be run by one dude, and even that is only for certain patterns of Warlord. Knights are the usual pattern, though, for one-dude operations.

>The augments a Knight pilot has are pretty trivial and basic,
And you base that on what? Considering the implants that are surgically added to a Knight Scion in the Ritual of Becoming include neural imprinting that is not part of the MIU tech required to interface with a Voidship (I.E the MIU tech in the FFG books) and arguably does not seem to be there in the MIU tech Titan Princeps get implanted in them to be able to command Battle Titans. And on top of that, these same implants enhance the lifespan of a Knight Scion much like a rejuvenat treatment would. So no, they are not trivial or basic.

>Which is exactly why she stayed the hell away from the Titans control throne.
Are you talking about a Battle-Titan, a God-Machine of the Titan Legions? Or a Knight Armour? These things are very different in operation, size and scope.

>Why don't starships machine spirits reject people in the same way?
They do, but they're not really "sapient" in the same manner a Titans or Knight Armours machine spirit is so it's not really touched upon in the fluff IIRC.

Actually i read the adventure book after the episode, it wouldn't have IF she didn't have such a good MUI. The Titan was so messed up it couldn't do a full mindlink.

Of course it was our DH party that found it and the RT group that picked it up. Well, secured it.

My reasoning was the Tech priest with the DH party couldn't achieve full communion with it but got messed up anyway, surviving without damage simply because he couldn't do a full link. Since my explorator has a best quality mind link unit she was terrified that she WOULD fully link with it fully and get her brain fried. Basically she is pretty sure he has the mental and physical hardware to pilot a titan but without experience, training and support personnel she would be fucked.

A newly manufactured Knight with no previous pilots, that she probably could handle hopefully.

>Actually i read the adventure book after the episode, it wouldn't have IF she didn't have such a good MUI. The Titan was so messed up it couldn't do a full mindlink.
Wat

>Basically she is pretty sure he has the mental and physical hardware to pilot a titan but without experience, training and support personnel she would be fucked.
>A newly manufactured Knight with no previous pilots, that she probably could handle hopefully.

Okay, seriously. Are you talking about someone trying to pilot an IMPERIAL KNIGHT aka KNIGHT TITAN aka KNIGHT ARMOUR aka KNIGHT ENGINE

*OR*

A BATTLE-TITAN aka A GOD-MACHINE OF THE COLLEGIA TITANICA aka A LIVING EMBODIMENT OF THE MACHINE GOD

Because you're using terms and names interchangably that make no sense and are confusing as fuck.

Tl;dr Nr1 or Nr2 what type of vehicle are you talking about?

>They do. A cruiser's machine spirit is massively vast, and is fully capable of melting a person's brain out their tear ducts if it gets pissed. Most ships don't care enough to do that, some will, and most of the time you have over a dozen crew members helping share the strain.

So the strain is spread over many people. Which my Explorator would know.

Where is there a example of a warlord being run by one Dude? The only example i can think of is that Talarin short story, it was a chick and the Iron Warrior helped.

From all the HH stuff about Knights the Knights implants are very basic, primitive and barely understood by the medieval era people who use them. They can't even maintain a heavy stubber without outside help, they are a poor judge of technological ability.

>Are you talking about a Battle-Titan, a God-Machine of the Titan Legions? Or a Knight Armour? These things are very different in operation, size and scope.

She had a opportunity to sit in the throne of a God Machine motherfucking Emperor class Titan, she declined the opportunity. She is considering attempting to acquire a Knight Armor and wondering if she could handle it..

It was just human cultists this time trying to get the party mind controlled by their genestealy psyker dude. Hilariously including the party Blank. Both sides were extremely confused when he looked into their "holy well" and just saw a sewer. "What am I supposed to be looking at? You people worship poo? Is this a Nurgle cult or something? You freaks are worshipping poo!"

>Where is there a example of a warlord being run by one Dude?

Warlord-Sinister Psi Titan, crewed by one Preceptor Intendant. The Psykers within are just batteries.

Reading comprehension, you obviously don't have it.

Character had an opportunity to try out Emperor Class battle titan, decided not to as she isn't qualified.

Character is wondering if she could instead pilot a Knight Armor suit since her RT group owns the Emperator and can trade it for anything the hell they want, including a Knight suit and a fuckton of other stuff.

>Character is wondering if she could instead pilot a Knight Armor suit since her RT group owns the Emperator and can trade it for anything the hell they want, including a Knight suit and a fuckton of other stuff.

That depends. If they trade it to the Mechanicum, that specific forge may force a House tied to that forge world to maybe allow for a Knight Trial. But then you'd become a part of that House. Unless you join them and then declare yourself a Freeblade, which might be okay. It all depends on how far you can push the Sidon Protocols in this case.

>From all the HH stuff about Knights the Knights implants are very basic, primitive and barely understood by the medieval era people who use them. They can't even maintain a heavy stubber without outside help, they are a poor judge of technological ability.
Source that shit, because I recall fuckall of the HH books even mentioning that much detail about how to Knight and that much of a big contradiction with the fluff of the two 40k codexes (the only contradiction I can really recall is that GW says only dudes can be Imperial Knights, whereas FW has both male and female Imperial Knights).

>She had a opportunity to sit in the throne of a God Machine motherfucking Emperor class Titan, she declined the opportunity.
>Reading comprehension, you obviously don't have it.
It's five in the morning, I might be more retarded than usual. But you didn't exactly make it clear they were separate cases.

>She is considering attempting to acquire a Knight Armor and wondering if she could handle it..
Two questions: How? And from "whom"? Knight Houses seem very disinclined to part ways with pretty much the only thing that justifies their existence and is the foundation of their entire culture as a warrior society to an outsider. I could see it happening if she finds an suit and salvages it, but I highly doubt it would make her popular.

>Character is wondering if she could instead pilot a Knight Armor suit since her RT group owns the Emperator and can trade it for anything the hell they want, including a Knight suit and a fuckton of other stuff.
I mean, returning an Imperator to the fold of the Adeptus Mechanicus could net you a lot of snazzy shit. But a Knight Armour? Don't know to be fair. I'd be disinclined to it because of the massive gameplay imbalance in ground excursions, but thats about it. I'd say follow the rule of cool.

>Warlord-Sinister Psi Titan,
That's hardly a regular fucking Warlord, Shas.

There must be tech priests, Astropathica personnel and attendants, otherwise the IoM just hijacked a Eldar Titan and disguised it. But we don't really know much about elite specialized Titan legions, some just boggle the mond. Forget Psy Titans, the warp runners are insane.

Warp Runners, full Imperial Titan Legion that specializes in deep strike teleport attacks
>Warp Runners
>Full titan Legion
>deep strike teleport attacks
>teleport attacks
>teleport
>Titans

>That's hardly a regular fucking Warlord, Shas.

It still counts as a Warlord. Sort of.

>There must be tech priests, Astropathica personnel and attendants
No. The psykers are bled as batteries for maintenance and repair (Necrotechnica), weapon systems, everything.

>otherwise the IoM just hijacked a Eldar Titan and disguised it.
They hijacked a Mars titan and stuck it in the Emperor's personal household. Slight difference.

Logically the RT group would say:

"Fuck you we have a warrant of trade, Inquisitorial sanction, a partially functional Emperor Class Titan under our control protected by the Storm Wardens Chapter of Adeptus Astartes and it is ours. We want ( insert LENGTHY list of demands and trade agreements here ) and by the way, we want a newly manufactured Knight armor or you don't the Emperor Class Titan back.

>Knight Houses seem very disinclined to part ways with pretty much the only thing that justifies their existence and is the foundation of their entire culture as a warrior society to an outsider. I could see it happening if she finds an suit and salvages it, but I highly doubt it would make her popular.

Houses don't make the suits, the AdMech does. She would avoid the houses entirely and just ask for one of the newly made suits. This is how new knight houses are made.

You did just make a bulb go on in my head though. Way for her to work that noble background: "Hey i just helped saved a Emperor Class Titan and if you want it back give me a Knight Suit and recognition as the head of a Knight household, just staple it as an addendum onto our Warrant of Trade."

>Houses don't make the suits, the AdMech does

Some do. Some don't.

No one likes a bully, user. That's a fast track to getting a warfleet on you.

>No. The psykers are bled as batteries for maintenance and repair (Necrotechnica), weapon systems, everything.

Gonna need source for that. It is believable what with half the HH Iron Hands being literal undead but still need source.

I like the Rak'Gol. Pure, destructive evil. They're great for when you just want a fight, and no matter how good the groups fellowship, or profit factor, or anything is, the Rak'Gol are gonna try and eat you.

Literally came out yesterday.

>finally inspired to run
>2 jobs and college, no time to run let alone prep

Feels bad. Tell me what happened in your last session guys.

Well we wouldn't phrase it like that. Also we would make sure everyone got enough out of the deal so they wouldn't get angry. For instance:

The Rt Group has dealt with the Storm Wardens a few times in passing, once we helped them shoot up some Ork raiders. When the DH group just left the FUCKING EMPEROR CLASS Titan just standing on some random planet we secured it then called the nearest Marine chapter that we knew of to help with security.

We aren't bullying anyone, it is completely logical to call our local friendly space marine chapter who like us wants to secure this valuable god machine for the servants of mankind. The servants of mankind we can trust this God engine too.

We have a Rogue Trade fleet, a Marine Chapter, The Inquisition and a God Engine and all we want is to know who we should responsibly hand this thing over to. All we want is to see it in the right hands. Some of those hands have more money, power and toys than others. Honestly a single Knight Suit is minuscule compared to the Titan.

Jesus fucking christ. What a monstrosity.

I like it.

The psykers replace the moderatii, not the entire crew.

Also holy fuck that thing is horrifying.

At least they didn't call it a Psi-tan.

What is really scary is the implied use of the psy network to channel their energy into pariahs imprisoned inside the left hand ultimate fuck off gun.

As a Legionary, you have more ability to act as a human, since the training was shittier, you have more chances for individual personality and valor. The Stoic Personality-less Warrior Knight hasn't been established yet. There is no Inquisition, but there are the Knights Errant and Malcador. There are multi-legion operations. There is no ATSKNF - Spess Mareens can feel fear, and the full range of human emotions. That is why 30k is better for Deathwatch.

Shas can provide you with alot of crunchy shit, none of it will help at all with the actual major issues with DW, so I'll provide you with some advice on the more esoteric.

Your entire party is essentially a group of sexless nigh uncorruptible paladins. This presents a host of issues that will come up depending on your group. Since you're setting it in 30k you avoid a major pitfall that most DW run into. Marines are treated with the utmost respect and deference but they are not viewed as the ordained children of god. They also fall into some sort of chain of command (correct me if I'm wrong) and don't have carte blanche to to whatever the fuck they want in a theatre of operation. One of my groups went full "Imperius Vult" on any Imperial that tried to impede the killteam, it was a goddamn nightmare.

Depending on the party they may get really bored of bug hunts really fast. Or it might be what they're used too and they're fine with it.

For every well thought out well planned mission they are going to be sent into:
>Orks have taken this space station. Assault via boarding torpedoes. Find primary computer core. Determine if core has been breached. Copy core. Scorch primary. Find and kill Mekboss if core has been breached. There is a Lord Magos and Navy High Captain, retrieve and/or liquidate them both.
There's going to be missions where the parameters are minimal:
>We think an Inquisitor's ship crashed on this planet. Planetary survey mentioned something about full on nuclear winter and some sort of radioactive signal that was moving under the frozen oceans but then the survey team vanished without a trace and we're not scheduled to send another one for three decades. Anyways find out if there was an inquisitor on that ship and bring them back.

I don't know if you're going to stick with the Ordos Xenos thing (because if it's 30k this will likely be on of the first Deathwatches EVER) or if you're going to just make them a specialized kill team.

So, I'm considering starting up a Dark Heresy campaign, but I think I've got my starting point down. A "relatively easy" mission to an agri-world to apprehend a suspected heretic with a small library of daemonic tomes. The issue here for our dear acolytes is that the planet is set up as *huge* plantations, antebellum South-style, and the heretic in question is one of the major landowners, and they don't know *which* one it is. Might even make him the governor. I'm going to give them the opportunity to meet the guy at a yearly celebration (harvest festival of some sort?) held at the planetary governor's palace, a social route to run parallel to their investigation and, if needed, combat.

So here's where I need you guys. I'm a historian and I've got a fair bit to draw on from the antebellum South for setting... well, setting, and I've been around 40k for the better part of a decade, but characters and writing aren't things I'm best at. Anyone have some suggestions for the sort of personalities that might show up, whether in the enclaves of high society or out in the servitor-tended fields?

Now the primary issue you're going to run into is, oddly enough, the level of competence that the Imperium actually has. In my mind part of the fun of all 40k RPGs is how 10,000 years of ritual and decay have been heaped ontop of everything. "Why do we do it like that? Because that's how we've always done it" is the mantra of almost every single Imperial organ (though in 30k it's the mantra of the AdMech). So you lose that aspect but gain alot more interaction between various factions.

Make sure, make sure, make sure, make sure your players understand their demeanor, the demeanor of their chapter, and how the chapters interact with each other. If one of the dour ass fucking Iron Hands is going to stay behind and sacrifice himself so the team can escape the Emperor's Child is going to be right their beside him because it would definitely get Fulgrim's nod of approval and you're going to be damned if some one handed dick gets called a hero for saving the mission before you do.

If you can (and it will be easier to do because of the nature of 30k joint operations) give the players different secret secondary objectives. (There's a webway portal on a planet, go destroy it, but Magnus realllllly wants one of those crystals, so try to get one for him.) Don't overdo it and don't give everyone one every single mission, but they're fun especially if they are contrary to each other.

Should also look at Hawaii plantation times if there is anything regarding the personalities of owners on the internet.

Feast of the Emperor's Ascension. It happens to coincide with the first major harvest of the year. Big big party.

>personalities
Local labor leader. Campaigning for workers rights since unemployment is through the roof since all those servitors took over the harvesting. Professes non-violent opposition and campaigning, decries the rebel elements of his movement (essentially Luddites) who attack AdMech servitor reclamation facilities and repair depots but is secretly their leader.

>Feast of the Emperor's Ascension
Good call. Also like the labor leader.

There might be, but not a ton, honestly, from what I'm seeing.

>in 30k it's the mantra of the AdMech

In 30k the Mechanicum do like to innovate and fuck around with things. That's where we get Photon weaponry, Battle Automata, that sort of thing.

>make sure your players understand their demeanor, the demeanor of their chapter, and how the chapters interact with each other

Remember, even though each Legion had a rough outline, the Chapters within each legion could really be different.

Can you still advance from DH2 to RT?

Or do you need to convert back from 2e to 1e in order to advance?

Why can space marines spit acid?

Why are Grey Knight Librarians considered so great when their disciplines are worse than the Primaris Psyker ones?

Just finished Ultramarines. Who the fuck was flying the ship and why the fuck was it just the three of them killing the demon captain.

Well. Tomorrow my players reach Mars and holy Terra to inform the emperor that his webway engines work. Should be fun.

During the creation of a space marine, a special organ called a Betcher's Gland is implanted, which allows the space marine to spit acid and bite through metal. The Emperor thought this would be funny or something.

Is it just me, or does someone else also think that new fluff now comes in a little TOO FAST?
I'm lagging behind trying to comprehend everything with all this retarded shit like Cadian fall and xeno-resurrected primarchs.

Well technically the xeno-resurrected Primarch fluff doesn't get released until March, and we haven;t even had book two of three in that series yet. Leakers are just too good for GW.

>The Emperor thought this would be funny or something.

So there is no reason besides spitting acid being baller as fuck

>Houses don't make the suits, the AdMech does.
Like Shas said, some do some don't. And you're forgetting the feudal political nature of the Imperium. People REALLY don't like sharing their toys and making a Knight Armour for someone not of a Knight House is a surefire way of causing some very severe political consequenses for whoever does it.

Like seriously, the Knight Houses are not some primitive assholes with their heads up their own butts. They're clever political players with a high tech base (thanks to their Sacristans) who use the fact that they're continuous societies from the DAoT and generally has access to a shitload of archaeotech to their own advantage in the relationships they have with other factions in the Imperium. These people are valuable as shit and a Forgeworld would be very wary of jeopordizing their relationship with whatever Knight Houses they trade with, even if it's something as "no brainer" as trading a Knight Armour for a Imperator titan.

So keep that in mind if they want to trade a Knight Armour for an Imperator.

>This is how new knight houses are made.
AFAIK Knight houses aren't made or founded, they're rediscovered and integrated.

I'm thinking of running a 30k DeathWatch campaign starting right after the Massacre of Istvann V. The players will choose from the loyalosts there and evade patrols and eventually escapr while picking up what loyalists they think they can trust. Gonna be pretty deadly I think and as more NPCs are encountered they'll be able to pick new legions to play from. Is this a realistic approach to 30k and sound like it would be fun to play in?

Sounds interesting

I've never seen a black named character in 40k

Is the Imperium racist?

>Is the Imperium racist?
Yes. Xenophobia is one of the Imperium staple traits and mankind is officially the god-chosen race, destined to rule the galaxy by divine right, while abominable xenos must all be eradicated.

That's speciesist or xenophobic

I meant racist in the Ku Klux Klan sort of way

Not typically, unless you count abhumans or mutants

Codex Catachan has them on the cover. Nocturnans are black even more Salamander Geneseed turns them hexadecimal code #000000 black

In this way, only witches and heretics are burned.
Otherwise - no. They've allow abhumans like ratlings and ogryns. Catfolk felinids and so on.
Nobody cares about niggers in those dark times. Not that there are many niggers anyway, vast majority of people are portraited as whiteish, so you might as well rule out major black extermination in the days prior to the imperium.
As of note, FFG RT books show that there are chinks in the Imperium and even withing rich ranks of rogue traders.

Oh, named characters. Outside of salamanders there's Inquisitor Toth and Librarian Orion. OR your character, since this is RPG general

Celestial Lions are probably African considering their Chapter Master is Ekene Dubaku

What's up with the name?

Seems like a pretty good idea in close quarters really. Imagine if someone has pinned you down, disarmed you or is bearhugging you. Or just watch Alien.

>Not that there are many niggers anyway, vast majority of people are portraited as whiteish,
Well, yeah. It's a setting made by white British nerds, of course they defaulted to "everyone is white". Plus, most people live in completely sunless environments: Hive cities, mining colonies, voidships, etc. 5-20k years of that is plenty to flush now-unecessary melanin out of the local gene pool just by natural evolution. Only populations baked under intense natural sunlight and heat for thousands of years develop/need black skin, and those populations are in a distinct minority in the Imperium.

>Plus, most people live in completely sunless environments
Well, nah.
There are plenty of agri-wordls, temperate worlds, shrine, paradise and various moderately sunny death worlds, along with a feral and feodal worlds.
Besides that, white people do not suddely evolve into niggers with jet-black sin and flappy lips when exposed to the sun. Even some generations of those living in the sunny areas.

>There are plenty of agri-wordls, temperate worlds, shrine, paradise and various moderately sunny death worlds, along with a feral and feodal worlds
And hive worlders and voidborn muscle them out by numbers, because hive populations are absolutely fucking bananas.
>Besides that, white people do not suddely evolve into niggers with jet-black sin and flappy lips when exposed to the sun. Even some generations of those living in the sunny areas.
Of course not, jackass. It takes literally thousands of years for ethnic drift to kick in that hard. Many, many, many of those worlds you mentioned were originally settled in the Dark Age of Technology, and that is over 20k years in which that can happen.

>fixed the webway
Emperor, how

>"Roboute Guilliman appears in your game"
Considering that our game takes place in the pimply, blackened ass-end of the Eastern Fringe not that far from the Ultramar region, and our stellar region is such a hive of heresy, minor empires, weird fucking xenos, heresy, ragged frontiers, naked empire-building among loyalist factions, and heresy that it probably drives Calgar to drink...Guilliman returning would be either hilariously good or horrifically bad for the entire region.

Hey, Shas'o, I just want to let you know, that your campaigns are being translated to russian. People was much impressed when I shared them, so some guy desided to translate them for linguistically impared comrades.

Enjoy your international acclaim.

pikabu.ru/profile/JusticeZZ
and the link

The GM claims to prefer 70% investigation but in this, the first session, there was nothing to investigate, only a series of combats linked together by tenuous story of an "Inquisitorial" Black Ship (claimed to be the same type of ship which collects psykers, they're not the same) being attacked and boarded by teleporting Tzeentch sorcerers and their cultist buddies. We were given no incentive to take prisoners.

They had a Spawn. It took a long time for it to die. Long enough by damage rolls high enough that i suspect its actual Regeneration trait to have been fudged.

The door wasn't big enough for two people to fit. The party tank therefore shoved the TB2, lightly armored Desperado into the room to face down two autogun turrets with what seemed to be amusingly high BS for automated weapons. There was nothing to take cover behind from which to put up an effective fight against them.

Our GM's techpriest NPC is not communicative, so it only became evident he knew a way to shut down all the turrets after he did so (before which two characters had burnt fate). We have seven goddamned PCs, one of whom is the GM's girl, playing a rogue Psyker, and, I suspect, our healer character, which we were sorely missing this encounter.

His hints about future sessions brought Rak'gol to mind.

Various costly rules mistakes (automatic fire hit the same area six times instead of some hitting areas with higher armor).

How can I, a player, try to influence this game towards investigation without coming across as overbearing?

>We have seven goddamned PCs

>one of whom is the GM's girl

Get out, especially if you mean there's "just" seven psykers instead of the party having seven members.

The Imperium isn't, but GW has dealt with less and less if the non-white parts of the setting and characters over time.

We finally united all the slaves with the promise that those who die for the True Gods will rise again, and now we're on our way to a full-scale slave revolt.

>Do you hear the people sing?

Desperately hoping we don't end up where they did.

Black characters are a bitch to paint, too.
Same with the b&w pictures that make up a good chunk of 40k's art. Vulkan is supposed to be charcoal black, yet it's not obvious when you look at the sketch.

Dunno if a lot of characters have canonically fair skin either; it usually doesn"t come up in battle stories.

Hey so last night i just finished running the mission that comes with deathwatch, extraction, it went pretty good and my players said overall it was a fun session.
But I felt like my devastator marine is really strong, he totally just decimated my Tyranid shrikes, in 1 round he pretty much sent it to critical damage.
Is there something I'm forgetting to account for in damage, or are the devastators really supposed to be that op?
In that case, what can I do to make the party more balanced?

So I'm a newbie in all respects to game mastering, and my soon-to-be players have a hard on for using miniatures for Only War, but I feel 28mm wont let me capture the scale of the game properly

Has anyone tried playing using 6mm miniatures? (the same scale as Warhammer epic)

In a dark heresy-like roleplay. The everyone prefered lulz to immerson so I choosed a Joakero named Wingston as helper.

Only lasted one plasma shoot. I named the next one Harambe.

pure

undiluted

cancer

Party of seven, GM's girl is rogue Psyker (I think, GM hasn't given a party breakdown), she skipped first session.

But sounds that bad, huh?