When space marines take back a planet recently taken over by chaos is it commonplace to kill all the survivors...

When space marines take back a planet recently taken over by chaos is it commonplace to kill all the survivors? Or is that mostly an inquisition thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nihilan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I mean civilian survivors

depends on the Chapter.

the White Scars you've placed might have them send a portion of their survivors on a suicidal redemption quest, while the Iron Hands might kill a bunch of them to as punishment for failing to be strong enough to resist on their own.

Depends on the chapter. Salamanders or Space Wolves might stick up for the civvies, Iron Hands or Dark Angels might just ignore them and let the inquisition decide, Marines Malevolent would kill them for fun.

Like this guy over here. Marines Malevolent would probably kill 'em all. Salamanders and Wolves would help rehabilitate the survivors and aid them.

And what of the dark templars?

Make them "Repent" (i.e. kill 'em all).

The imperium doesn't fuck around with heresy, even non chaos rebellions get death korpsed or other similar punishments. Id say if there was a civilian or pdf resistance they might get to be fine, but if chaos overtakes a planet entirely even if much of the population is unwilling slaves they probably get the bullet.

A second question, what would it take to scare your average chaos space marine. I mean like, put the fear of the emperor into the fuckers.

anything with the Fear USR

...The Emperor. or a Primarch on a rampage.

i mean they're genetically engineered to -not- feel fear, so to override genetic programming would take more fear than the rest of us could recover our sanity from.

Aren't imperial guard and anything below them executed if they learn that chaos is a real thing?

Sergeants and below. Command level ranks are allowed since sometimes, they have to work with other branches to fight it.

and because its the exception in so many things, Gaunt's Ghosts don't really follow this.

You can be heretic and pray to chaos gods but not know that chaos and demons are real, dunno if you understand me

They pretty much all know that there are "Ruinous Powers" that oppose the goodness of the Emperor, but knowing exactly what that entails is cause for execution.

The philosophical prospect of ending up a chaos spawn

Depends on the author.

Noh!.
They rename the planet BOREALUM.

Can you recapture a planet that has been conquered by Chaos? Once I'm sure the only thing you can do is nuke it from orbit.

There is a difference between a planet being held by chaos forces and a planet being a daemon world.

It really depends, but you have to keep in mind that Chaos is nasty stuff. Sometimes, you HAVE to purge everyone because you don't know how many are corrupted.

Even the nicer Chapters are still going to go about it thoroughly. Like, you could have the Salamanders, and they'd still thoroughly incinerate everyone. (They would feel slightly bad about it later, however.)

Black Templars? They kill all, even those that are innocent. They even have a story of nuking an enitre hive city because the Governor was a heretic.

Kill them. . For the Emperor knows those that are His own

Like most things in the Imperium, it's very inconsistent.

Salamanders are too pure for 40k.

Seriously, do we have any records of ANY falling to chaos?

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nihilan

>Literally turned to chaos by friendship.

Kek.

>Protip:
If it involves masses of people dying, particularly if they die pointless and/or painful deaths, it happens in 40k.

Yes. The Dragon Warriors warband is composed of Salamanders and Black Dragons (the mostly-confirmed succesor of the Salamanders), bent on destroying their non-chaos brethren.

And the Lementers would be blamed for the problem.

Might be hard for some, like Cadians for example assuming one lives long enough to remember chaos.

Kill anything that raised a weapon, kill anything in any form of authority that wasnt actively fighting against chaos, then it depends. Smurfs and the majority of codex-compliant chapters probably leave it for the nearest imperial authority to decide. White Scars would give them a crate of lasguns and organise that they get shipped off to Cadia/Armageddon/etc, Iron Hands would servitorise most of them to give the rest some backbone, DAngels would probably kill them because fullhomo, yiffs would invite them to a celtic banquet where they punch inquisitors to death and drink mead. Hardasses like the Templars would kill them all because lulz/the emperor knows his own.