Accidental Magical Girl CYOA

Welcome to the Accidental Magical Girl thread!

Various worlds and multiverses have become connected together via the mysterious Overcity, a sprawling landscape inhabited by monsters and magical beings. Girls and boys endowed with their new supernatural powers can work together solving conflicts that arise!

>This is NOT a greentext adventure style CYOA with one GM and thread posting to dictate the adventure, but rather a hub thread for multiple storycrafters to use.

This thread houses three systems: First, QuasarBlack's CYOA PDFs which may be used as writing prompts. Second, AMGC which expands on the CYOA character creation and provides rules for combat. Finally, the SCS is an alternative to AMGC with a similar purpose. IRC uses mostly AMGC and Discord uses mostly SCS.

Post builds, roleplay, write stuff.

CYOA Stuff:
Writefag Archive: pastebin.com/rSvTGQzP
Magical Girl Images: mega.nz/#F!xINWxCqY!HsVA2LnU9RDMMmZieoqv9w

>Addons to the CYOA, currently only the Patron Module:
pastebin.com/9qFcbzN0

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/teUgkHyS
>Changelog: pastebin.com/nNqnESfz
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/V2X9itz0

IRC on Rizon:
OOC Chat: #MGCYOA
In Character RP Pub: #TheWand&Circlet
IC Campaigns: #MGChronicle or #MGPnP
IC Shenanigans: #Overcity
IC Cafe: #MGCafe
rizon.net/chat
Linkboard: titanpad.com/RWlqAHmERq

The Discord Server for Roleplaying and Campaigns:
discord.gg/hcG486Y

Other urls found in this thread:

orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps
pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH
pastebin.com/jCStZAqq
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cPxQ4Gc3_MddNiAmJ-KLeP6HeDzl4UIMxT0NyRExYIM/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/
pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz
pastebin.com/kVJmwcj3
pastebin.com/wTMU8JjX
pastebin.com/pzKwa1kD
pastebin.com/WpKxFQd9
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K_6DplVo1_Kq2orPNUkVEmZb-4edqGBGase2ImIDLQs/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The CYOA's Patron Module, which determines just who bestows your character's magical abilities. But be wary, for not all of these patrons are after your best interests...

This PDF is for AMGC 1.14, one of the two usable PNP systems for playing as a magical girl.
It features 10 additional powers and 20 extra perks, as well as combat actions, point buy, and more. Note that this is NOT the same as the CYOA.

>Character generator for AMGC, made by Doxy using RandomGen by Orteil.
Just one click and your mahou will be finished!
orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps

>Add-Ons to AMGC Core including the Corruption, Fusion, and Puchuu docs, now in one semi-convenient spot!
pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH

>Character sharing thing made by emperor_
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/

>Spec Trees (spells for all 19 normal Specializations, updated often):
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH

>Magic overhaul by Drakon in progress. Teaser located here: pastebin.com/jCStZAqq

>Google Docs AMGC Character Sheet (made by Torque)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cPxQ4Gc3_MddNiAmJ-KLeP6HeDzl4UIMxT0NyRExYIM/edit?usp=sharing

>AMGC Character Archive:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
>Changelog: pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz

In the interest of compressing OP size and housecleaning, see one of the above links for the AMGC expansions.

The SCS was made as an addon to the CYOA to cover the combat side of roleplaying. It allows players to easily take characters made in the CYOA v1.5 and use them in Quests and long-running campaigns alike.

This PDF covers the basics of magical girls and sets the groundwork for updates and addons.

>Addons to the SCS, including the Patron expansion and GM's Guide
pastebin.com/kVJmwcj3

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/wTMU8JjX
>Changelog: pastebin.com/pzKwa1kD
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/WpKxFQd9
>Character Sheet: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K_6DplVo1_Kq2orPNUkVEmZb-4edqGBGase2ImIDLQs/edit?usp=sharing

In the interest of compressing OP size and housecleaning, see one of the above links for the SCS expansions.

Have you pampered your patron recently?

No.

Previous thread:

Rolled 8, 4, 5, 15, 17, 10, 2, 12, 4, 11, 11, 6 = 105 (12d20)

Age 14, Underdeveloped, Reinforcement, Mystic weapon, uniform, Barrage, Martial Training, Enhanced Outfit, Training, Big Backpack, Enhanced sustenance, works for the puuchu.

Reinforcement Barrage seems... kind of strange. Ah, but that's what coins are for But what to change around. I suppose what to change and what to is a matter of who this girl would be. Within a bronze of Barrage is Focused Assault (Not really reinforcement-y) and... the Power of Friendship. Now there's a vibe of intense, possibly self-sacrificing loyalty. Maybe her friends are precious to her because they're something she didn't have as much before becoming a Magical Girl, and her transformation has allowed her to grow as a person by breaking her out of her shell. Of course, the duties of a magical girl have their costs too. I kind of wish I hadn't rolled for patron, she seems like she'd be a great fit with the Beacon, feeling the weight of responsibility but also understanding the need to take it up.

i may have fucked this up

Well, that's embarrassing.

rolled a 5, 3, 20, 6, 3, 8, 13, 1, 14, 1, 1, 18

So, on my 5 roll I'm already an underdeveloped 11 year old oddball in a skimpy outfit. A bit far off from my initial hopes to be a Muscle bound amazon who bros out with plants.

at least I have the chance to play this out as a shota? I wonder if it ruins the spirit to turn this into a character I originally wanted to play, or if I should try to make a story out of what I already got. But boy would I love to fight monsters with the power of wooden fists.

Rolled 19, 1, 2, 9, 15, 17, 12, 16, 20, 13, 12, 19 = 155 (12d20)

Put it in the Options field, right under the Name field.
Like this

Underdeveloped +1 MAG, AGI, or LCK †
Fire +3 to STR or MAG, +1 to VIT
Ranged +1 AGI
Uniform +1 VIT
Regeneration +1 VIT
Enhanced Outfit +1 Soak
Sorcery +1 MAG †
Fake Parents +1 Any
Masculinity +1 LCK †
Mana Channel +1 MAG †
#&$*?!? +1 Any †

...well this is interesting

I'll call him Henry
Taking MAG for Underdeveloped, Fire, Fake Parents and #&$*?!?

STR 4
AGI 5 +3b +g => 13
VIT 7 +b+s => 10
MAG 12 +2s => 16
LCK 5

Weapon: a magical pistol that shoots magical bullets that form into cool animal shapes (like the roaring head of a lion or something) made of fire as they fly towards their target.
Going with Recoil

Outfit: Uniform... can I get away with pic related?
Also taking Reinforced for that delicious +2 Soak

oh and untransformed stats:
STR 3
AGI 3
VIT 3
MAG 7
LCK 4

And resources (in-costume):
HP 20
Soak 9
MP 16
FP 5

Oh whoops, forgot my second outfit enhancement
Going with Determination.

A friendly reminder to not feed shitpost-kun. He needs to go on a diet.

Rolled 15, 10, 15, 14, 19, 6, 6, 10, 9, 6, 5, 16 = 131 (12d20)

>TWO threads in a row.
I'm proud of you guys.

>I kind of wish I hadn't rolled for patron, she seems like she'd be a great fit with the Beacon, feeling the weight of responsibility but also understanding the need to take it up.

You know what I've realized -- she'd fit with Beacon, but where's the fun in that? She's working for a puuchu. The little thing didn't bother providing Job Satisfaction and is instead a chatty ball of fluff, and it usually offers plenty of quick transportation. Which would be better if the puuchu wasn't also downright Hostile to the poor girl, sending her into hell (metaphorically speaking) clueless and probably under-armed. Hard to tell if it actually hates her guts or is just a jerkass trickster, but it will occasionally attempt to 'make up' for its misdeeds by providing nonmagical swag (Supplier), so at least there's that to look forward to if it doesn't get her killed.

It's not like you can't change patrons via plot, either. Although if you do this, make sure you properly change the Patron Benefits/Drawbacks for the character.

>Roy+X full art

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN MY BROTHER GET OVER HERE OR I SHALL BEHEAD YOU

Rolled 10, 8, 19, 10, 5, 13, 8, 11, 1, 8, 20, 19 = 132 (12d20)

Rolled 14, 12, 18, 11, 17, 19, 20, 18, 11, 1, 12, 18 = 171 (12d20)

Rolled 10, 8, 8, 8, 11, 9, 14, 14, 1, 17, 2, 4 = 106 (12d20)

Rolled 19, 17, 3, 11, 17, 15, 14, 2, 2, 6, 13, 6 = 125 (12d20)

Rolled 11, 19, 6, 18, 7, 8, 9, 11, 9, 12, 7, 2 = 119 (12d20)

Huzzah

Kek
Sorry to disappoint but I just picked an image that sorta fit
it's way harder to find pictures of magical shotas than magical girls

>21-3
I don't even watch handegg and I know that's devastating.

Has one of your girls ever met her match and had to flee? Or worse?

Rolled 4, 10, 11, 19, 11, 2, 19, 8, 12, 3, 16, 12 = 127 (12d20)

Rolled 20, 6, 5, 10, 15, 20, 13, 1, 13, 11, 9, 6 = 129 (12d20)

Rolled 15, 9, 7, 17, 15, 8, 12, 1, 11, 12, 8, 10 = 125 (12d20)

Rolled 16, 20, 18, 20, 10, 5, 14, 17, 17, 19, 19, 19 = 194 (12d20)

Rolled 7, 4, 1, 8, 16, 18, 20, 2, 17, 8, 8, 17 = 126 (12d20)

Fill someone in who has taken a hiatus since summer what's changed here?

Underdeveloped, +1 Luck
Oddball, +2 Mag, +1 Luck, +1 Agi
Ranged, +1 Agi
Uniform, +1 Vit
Invulnerable, Bronze, Scrying +1 Mag
Power Artifact, +1 Mag
Martial Training, +1 Agi
Soul Jar, +1 Vit
Get Out of Jail, +1 Luck
Defender, +1 Vit
Snapshots, Bronze, Wings +1 Agi

Str 4
Agi 8, 3 Silvers, 14
Vit 7
Mag 8, Gold, 12, Bronze, 13
Luck 7, Bronze, 8

Still trying to think about her personality but these rolls are looking pretty decent.

Rolled 8, 2, 3, 3, 4, 11, 13, 6, 13, 7, 5, 17 = 92 (12d20)

14, Underdeveloped, Air, Melee, Skimpy, Power of Friendship, Healing Artifact, Flexibility, Masculinity, Environmental Sealing, (Gifted/Interdimensional Home), Beacon Patron.

I... am not even sure how to mess with that. It's a neat baseline with a good deal of potential but I'm not getting a super clear image. I could use a silver to swap healing artifact to wings and bronze to swap masculinity to healing artifact, but you aren't dealt many magical boys so part of that seems a shame... but the end result would be fairly nice... I guess the question becomes finding the character.

Rolled 9, 3, 18, 7, 12, 1, 3, 9, 20 = 82 (9d20)

Looks like I got an Ally. Let's try rolling, and see if I get something interesting or if I want to use the point-buy for them!

Update! This one shows my progress on the stats and techniques in this revision.

So you're turning AMGC into SCS?

Confession, I've barely read any of the SCS so I can't speak to any similarities or lack thereof. Every decision here was the result of careful thought on how to accomplish a better balance and enable more types of characters.

Rolled 1, 4, 10, 7, 3, 10, 19, 4, 16, 5, 13, 14 = 106 (12d20)

Rolled 13, 20, 17, 18, 3, 10, 8, 5, 18, 16, 14, 19 = 161 (12d20)

Rolled 4, 4, 12, 13, 18, 11, 13, 11, 6, 6, 18 = 116 (11d20)

Rolled 19, 16, 19, 6, 13, 4, 18, 9, 2, 12, 1, 5 = 124 (12d20)

If I may offer a couple of crituques:

Agility is changed to "Coordination" for absolutely no reason, which is especially odd since they're more or less the same thing. Don't change things just for the sake of change.

Obviously I'm all for the progression system (even if I think part of AMGC's best aspects are that it doesn't HAVE a progression system), but for now there's no reason to choose to start with a character at Elite over Veteran, and absolutely no reason whatsoever (except maybe for NPC reasons) to go with Newbie level. I'm reserving harsher judgement on that front until I see more.

I'm concerned that the dual resources will create a Resource Juggling problem. Additionally, tankier characters will have a lot more stamina, as well as HP, armor, ect, which leads me to believe that VIT-centric builds may be on the horizon.

On techniques themselves...yikes. There's a lot. It's honestly a bit daunting, although that can be fixed with organization and decompression. Also, I definitely see where that one user compared it to the SCS.

Back when brewer was working on AMGC's spells on a regular basis, we used to theorize that the two systems would end up borrowing from each other so much that they would eventually get to a point where they were indistinguishable from each-other.

At the time, we were joking, but now I'm not 100% sure that it won't happen eventually.

Rolled 15, 1, 5, 6, 8, 15, 15, 12, 1, 4, 5, 13 = 100 (12d20)

I didn't roll these dice, but I decided to compare them to the charts and the results seem fun.

>implying that this wasn't Zephyr Edge's early career
It's not running away, if you're coming back to kick its ass. Totally.

My heart. ;_;

>Also, all that power is still bent toward whatever your specialization is
Wait, so progression is supposed to be based around your specialization?
Does that mean like, you shouldn't be able to cast stronger spells until you've had at least a few months' practise? That's kind of weird. I'm not sure either pnp system represents that very well.

>Agility is changed to "Coordination" for absolutely no reason
There is a reason. Agility doesn't even come close to describing what the stat actually does. Why on earth would a gunner aim with agility? Coordination, on the other hand, is perfectly descriptive.

>No reason to choose Elite over Veteran and no reason to choose Newbie.
Obviously. They are not intended to be balanced against one another. A newbie vs a veteran is not supposed to be an even match. Rather, the tiers allow a player to simulate being a newbie for a while and then switch to veteran when they deem the time is right. This is about prioritizing RP over pure mechanics, because a player can choose any experience tier at any time. You also seem to have misunderstood, the veteran and elite bonus stack. Elite is a level above veteran.

The resource juggling problem is a valid criticism, but I think it will be quite small in practice. The role of FP has also been reduced (my first update illuminated why) so that removes a resource for many characters. Your statement about VIT is strange because I haven't even put any numbers to it yet. When I do, it will be balanced in the simulator just like everything else.

Tech variety will be a big part of character customization, I want there to be a lot of variety there. I meant to include a 'suggested techs for a quick build' section. Refer to the attached addendum.

The version I'm working on does! Although I haven't worked out any numbers for MAG yet, a higher score means more spells and each experience tier has more techs or spells than the last.

Ai-n did nothing wrong

>Ki Manipulation
>Channel Ki
Time to beat people with Soul Radiation, no magic required.

I might come back some day after all.

but did they do anything right

Rolled 14, 3, 4, 13, 16, 20, 15, 6, 18, 4, 7, 10 = 130 (12d20)

Ai-n did everything wrong.

No.

Rolled 5, 13, 7, 18, 18, 15, 11, 4, 17, 17, 17, 19 = 161 (12d20)

Rolled 4, 8, 18, 18, 6, 8, 1, 13, 5, 20, 20, 6 = 127 (12d20)

Rolled 14, 12, 1, 12, 18, 14, 20, 2, 5, 17, 14, 15 = 144 (12d20)

Rolled 2, 1, 11, 3, 6, 4, 14, 14, 2, 16, 2, 10 = 85 (12d20)

Rolled 4, 19, 6, 5, 15, 16, 4, 20, 7, 16, 3, 2 = 117 (12d20)

Rolled 1, 6, 13, 11, 5, 8, 6, 7, 3, 9, 16, 7 = 92 (12d20)

>Literally designing Generic Spells.
At this rate the only differences between the SCS and AMGC are gonna be the dice system and AMGC letting you change your stats permanently (assuming I'm reading that right).

I mean, good work, but you're getting dangerously close to just making d10 SCS.

Is that a bad thing? I mean, convergent evolution in game systems would suggest there might be some underlying good to the result.

It looks complicated in the bad way. Call me dumb or what-have-you but I genuinely enjoy how simple AMGC is to play.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but at the same time there's not really any point in doing an overhaul of AMGC like this when the SCS already exists and is already completed, only needing minor fixes and updates here and there.

What sorts of hobbies do your characters have? What do they do in their downtime? Is it something they did before they were transformed?

Yep, it's about time to throw in the towel for AMGC. It has too much bloat, poorly designed choice's, stolen content, and not enough direction, and no direction to go in without a developer. Even the devs it DID have before gave up on it so the community should do the same, Then, maybe, just fucking MAYBE, the threads can finally stop having drama caused by the creators' shady shit.

Rolled 13, 9, 10, 13, 2, 13, 2, 1, 9, 12, 9, 6 = 99 (12d20)

The only drama here is caused by you sucking Maid's fucking dick. We get it, you prefer the SCS. The worst part of his system is his fucking fanboys

Either one of you is retarded for replying to a bait post from over 3 hours ago, or you're both the same retard trying to start drama.

How do you people survive in the world, falling for every little provocation that flies your general direction?

The thread has this drama because anonposting is a feature not like the irc or discord

I'm pretty much convinced its Maid himself

I'll thank you to not make claims you can't back up about me.

I don't need to suck my own dick.

But can Raw Spirit be resisted?

I assume it means that your domain of powers will, for the most part, remain over what your initial specialization was.

>But can Raw Spirit be resisted?
With sheer guts.

Rolled 17, 9, 2, 8, 13, 9, 13, 7, 8, 10, 6, 4 = 106 (12d20)

I'd argue to a point that's just Spirit VS Spirit.

BANZAI. ;_;7

It's not much more complicated than AMGC is now. I think it only seems that way because it's new and different and I put actual effort into the tech system. Let's look at the components you see here.

First, you use a table and addition instead of division to determine your stats. Maybe that's slightly more complicated (or maybe it's simpler), but at most you're doing that once when you make or transition a character. The cost is small and the benefit is a stat system that was designed to actually work.

Then there's the tech system. It's no more complex than the spell trees are now, perhaps even less because you can just choose a few of them and be done (whereas spells right now often require opening a tree to remember all your options). It gives you a way to mechanically differentiate your Melee character from all the other Melee characters, and so far it's balanced to a T.

The other thing here is that balance is an invisible good. You can't see all of the careful tuning that went into the techs and is absent from AMGC, nor can you casually see that the combat has a proper length and balance. AMGC's math looks okay if you're just reading it, but the flaws are there and become very apparent in simulation.

Rolled 3, 16, 6, 15, 12, 2, 19, 12, 20, 20, 1 = 126 (11d20)

Shouldn't the last paragraph be fixed?
>But for now, you know none of this. You are a newly minted magical defender standing next to the cooling corpse of a little girl.
Only applies to the "Death" choice now

Rolled 16, 1, 9, 11, 13, 17, 2, 18, 8, 15, 13, 1 = 124 (12d20)

We talk about Magical Girls all the time. Let's talk about Monster Girls for a bit.

How's she been coping with her motivation? Or does she consider it a non-hinderance?

Purification Artifact removes all that from her~

Rolled 11, 1, 3, 8, 14, 16, 18, 13, 19, 19, 5, 8 = 135 (12d20)

Rolled 13, 13, 12, 4, 9, 20, 6, 11, 5, 5, 1, 12 = 111 (12d20)

Age 9, Average, Light weilder
Melee weapon, flowing outfit, Tentacles
Flexibility, Enhanced Sustenance, Gifted, Interdimensional Home, Dual Weapon, works for the Puuchu. That shows some promise.

Then she's not a true monster girl if she took the easy way out.

Rolled 8, 4, 16, 2, 9, 20, 1, 17, 19, 13, 3, 3 = 115 (12d20)

14 and underdeveloped.
Gravity, Melee weapon, flowing garb, Tentacles
Dual Weapon, Wings, A Way Out, Masculinity, and either Enhanced Weapon or Fated...

Don't get a lot of magical boys, do we?

A lot of people consider Masculinity a "coin away immediately" perk. There are some, though, that specifically coin TO it, for personal reasons.

I mean, that's understandable. Either you feel it's genre busting or you don't, and I guess some who don't might like the option.

Reminds me I once toyed with the 'smug' origin to see if I could design the worst "magical girl". That is, not necessarily a mechanically bad character (by the SCS, say) but really REALLY out of place. Naturally, Masculinity was part of the bargain.

Did you know? Punching people in the face is really therapeutic!

Can it really be considered a hindrance if it's her raison d'être?

Explain further.

Easy. She just punches people. Or she screws people's stuff up.

Or she screws people and punches people's stuff up! Wait, that sounds gross...

If she enjoys the motivation, why wouldn't she indulge and get lost in it?

>Dominator

Rolled 20, 11, 14, 18, 13, 10, 2, 11, 12, 5, 2, 16 = 134 (12d20)