Ryuutama: Travelogue Inspiration

Requesting everyonre post pics of cozy JRPG art while I start brainstorming my setting. Also discusd how youve run the game succesfully or good experiences you have had with the game as a player.

Other urls found in this thread:

is2.Veeky
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have a pity bump.

has it been given an english translation yet?

Yes. Dont know where you can torrent it but i found it on rpg drive-thru. Looked like there was sites selling a hard copy as well.

Is it just that Akira's designs are all similar, or is that meant to look like Marle/Nadia, except with Magus' ears & cape, Crono's tunic, Frog's gloves, Ayla's tail, and Lucca's shoes?

where can you find a hardcopy? All amazon has is the damn spanish version.

I just want her to get her feet back in the stirrups. That's not stable at all.

Its in the archive actually and in english no less.

What bugs me most of Ryuutama is that I can't get behind the premise "everyone just gets a sudden wanderlust and goes around the world". Even if it's just a McGuffin, I think that the very idea of traveling gets enriched by a defined goal. Drop a ring, meet a friend, get revenge, whatever it is; sometimes a travel is about "what you're capable to do to get ahead towards your goal". It makes decisions count: Wasting a day more at the river's inn and maybe lost precious time? or defy the river's rising and try to cross it somehow, despite the bridge is unstable?
Also I find that characters whose only goal is "chill out and take a walk" are bland and hard to RP.
This game would gain A LOT with a random mission/traveling motivation table; maybe also another for a "unfinished past" table, so characters can un into people and places from their backstories and close ties with their troubled lifetimes

>What bugs me most of Ryuutama is that I can't get behind the premise "everyone just gets a sudden wanderlust and goes around the world".

Well, that's probably because there is no such premise in Ryuutama.

Technically, it's less that 'one day, everyone will get wanderlust' and more of 'everyone is expected to eventually go on a journey'. It's like a less overtly-religious version of pilgrimages. It's implied that a lot of these people have reasons they're going on a journey, but that some, yeah, just suddenly have wanderlust if you can't otherwise think of a motivation.
You're right, though, that a 'reasons to be on the road' table would be fun, but everything's improved with random tables.

Given that Toriyama's roots are in ye ancient times of manga, it doesn't surprise me that there's a lot of mix-and-match, going back into the old prop closet, for character designs over the years. Plenty of people have had those gloves and boots, for instance.
Oh, and, pretty sure that's a whip on her belt, not a tail.

Any DM willing to trade some of their stories and or ideas?

>Hub world is Megacity
>it still takes a few days on foot to go from district to district

>Travel can be streamlined by trains from main city to main city, it still takes a few days travel, but there's plenty of occurences happening (Stopping at small villages with their own troubles, robberies and the sort)

It's a great system for cresting characters. Its also great for doing "skill" rolls as, you the gm, can determine what the player to roll to what they want to do. You say you want to intimidate him? Roll your strength die and you spirit die. You want to sneak by them while listening to their conversation? Roll you dex die and into die.

I got some stories as a gm and player and would gladly tell if you guys want to hear.

quick link or something

the english pdf is impossible for my retardation to find, and i am absolutely requesting for somebody to take pity on me and lead me by the hand to a free download

I'll start off with the game I'm gming. The PCs are; Ein Sen Howser, a Farmer who, through his inate magical abilities, was chosen to serve in the support auxillary of the imperial army, Hank (no last name, he can't pronounce it) Ein's best friend who signed up to join the army with Ein. Also a Farmer boy and, like Ein, was put into the support auxilla but not through inate magically ability but through being a giant of a man who doesn't question orders (he tried one time but it made is noggin hurt like the dickens). And last but not least Alberto "Berto" Quintero (he has four middle names but no one but him and his fellow Castilians can and want to pronounce them) a Noble archer with good looks who joins the party later on during the campaign

The campaign starts off with Corporal Ein and Pvt. Hank being attached to the Imperial Exploratory Unit, The Egrets, as a support unit. When I say support unit I mean "transporting goods and foods stuff essential for the continuation of the Empire of Bollertaria" which, translated to Hank talk, means "carrying and pulling shit" and when translated to Ein talk means "healing those pompous ass officers when they charge willy nilly into danger." All in all a nice and easy assignment when you compare it to other soldiers lives, you know, with all the road maintenance, bandit hunting and dragon slaying other poor grunts had to do, Ein and Hank got it easy.

The Egrets were tasked with investigating a massive magical anomaly located at the border of The Empire of Bollertaria and the Castilian Free City states. The reports stated that both Castilian and Imperial scry mages experienced a magical disturbance equal to time being torn asunder by massive magical forces. Or as Ein explained to Hank "Something very very bad."
The Egrets, being the unit closest to said magical time anomaly, were told by both Imperial and Castilian courts to inspect and report post haste. They were also told to apprehend any hostiles in the area and anyone found near time magic anomaly was to be considered a fugitive as time magic was strickly forbidden

There CAN be a defined premise - some Ryuujins start with artifacts that outright say "this is a certain style of the game", like red ryuujin and his Spear artifact.

That said, Ryuutama would definitely benefit from random tables, either for GM's convenience or for ideas for joint creation.

Go to the website. It has a 35 and 45 dollar version that comes with the pdf.

Hank and Ein took these new orders with a little sense of dread. True, what they were doing before getting the new orders from BOTH the Imperial and Castilians wasn't a cake walk (exploring ancient underground ruins which had, in no particular order; traps, ancient guardian spirits, a fucking mimic hive (truly terrifying) and more traps.) Ein knew that anyone or anything that messed with the frabic of time was to be very powerful and that the hot headed officers were bound to A, rush into the first sign of trouble swords in hand and pistols in air, and B, get injured and complain and moan like the nobles they were when Ein administerd aid. Hank was just happy yo be gone from the "crazy fucking death cave" and happily packed the goods

It took The Egrets two and a half days of hard marching to get to the border. When they arrived they saw an interesting sight. 50 heavily armed knights in what Ein and Hank described later as wearing "black armor that was covered in knives and shit and was all pointy, they also had these huuuge fucking swords." These black armored knights were trying to set up a camp but were failing spectacularly because for some reason they were unwilling to take off their armor and were apparently expecting an attack or setting from the sky. The commanding officer of The Egrets boldy walked up to the knights and asked them who the hell they were and why did they have a 200 year old Bollertaria standard.

page 48

is2.Veeky Forums.org/tg/1486304969526.pdf

now quit begging.