Could a peasant work as a BBEG? How would he work?

Could a peasant work as a BBEG? How would he work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C7zoZe-ZATs
youtube.com/watch?v=YTWsUvT8nsw
youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A plague hits, a wealthier peasant uses the breakdown of local authorities to establish his own local militia, providing weapons to whoever wants to side with him. Eventually he starts extorting nearby plague-stricken towns for supplies and relief, charging absurd tolls on anyone who goes there to help, effectively running a chunk of the countryside.

Dennis Dirtfarmer finally had enough of noble rule! He starts a rebellion and seeks to overthrow the king and install a system where supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses

Makes the PCs animals.

He said "peasant".

Evil crops

The Party is a bunch of Level 1 Commoners.
The Peasant has the ability to control rats.

>could the lowest man on the totem pole work as the final boss and mastermind?
This is stupid, and you're stupid for asking.

A rich villein is basically one lucky break or act of royal buttkissing away from getting knighted in most of the medieval period.

You didn't say "rich villein", you said "peasant".

A rich villein is still a peasant (and I'm not OP)

Actually, a peasant becomes villainous when it stops working.

Except that a peasant is by definition poor, faggot.

Look at this fag. Does he even history of Russia?

The PCs are rats.

Black Plague was a hell of a thing, bro.

Balor with 20 Commoner levels

a peasant is by definition 'not an aristocrat', unless you're a lord, knight or member of a royal family you're a peasant regardless of how much money you have

I want to support Dennis! Where do I sign up?
Can't wait 'til I get to loot a manor and rape some cute nobles!

he monopolizes potato trade

Go read the definition of peasant, dumb ignorant faggot.

>.peas·ant
>ˈpez(ə)nt/
>noun
>a poor farmer of low social status who owns or rents a small piece of land for cultivation (chiefly in historical use or with reference to subsistence farming in poorer countries).

>"BBEG"

Ugh.

The peasant as being definitionally poor is a modern thing. The men at arms of late medieval armies were generally just a hair poorer than the knights they served under and they were peasants. The only commoners who were not peasants were urban populations.

>The peasant as being definitionally poor is a modern thing.
And guess what time period it is now, faggot?

Yes, I too hate short and simple useful terms that everyone recognizes.

a peasant is a pre-industrial farmer who usually worked a nobles land and could rarely own it. Anyone of the merchant class was not by any definition a peasant

A wind from the East brings strange seeds into a peasant's field, which quickly grow into thick weed and strangle the crops. Unable to pay his liege in time, the peasant is flogged and his possessions are seized to pay his tithe. In fury, he burns his field down, only to notice that the ash from the strange weed brought his scarecrow to life.

Slowly, a plan begins to gestate in his mind. He sells all of his remaining possessions, buys materials and makes a small army of scarecrows, which he brings to life with magic ash. At the head of his army he storms his liege's castle, takes it and slaughters the greedy lord. Although his vengeance has been exacted, the peasant is drunk with easy success. He now plans to crush the rest of the nobles of his land in a similar fashion.

Seduced by his promises of tithe abolishment, the peasants of the neighbouring villages take up their farming tools and join his army as volunteers. But while he poses as people's champion, his only true motivation is greed. He seizes the fields of those who refuse to join him, plants them with magic weed and enslaves their owners, forcing them to tend to their former fields under the watchful gaze of scarecrow overseers.

A combination of ruthlessness and deceit eventually allows him to depose all the nobles in his realm, take the royal castle and exile the king. Although he's now one of the world's richest people, he continues wearing his peasant attire and refuses to bathe in order to sustain his phoney image of a man of the people. Under his rule, forests are chopped down to make room for more magic weed plantations, leaving the local elven communities homeless. Secret experiments are going on in confiscated mansions of the nobility, breeding terrifying war beasts from cows and pigs.

Left with only a handful of gold he managed to grab from the treasury, the exiled king is now living incognito in the neighbouring realm, looking for mercenaries who would help him defeat the Dark Peasant.

Serf isn't the only kind of peasant there was. Villein is still a peasant and still mostly paid rents.

>"big bad evil guy"
>short
>simple
>useful
>everyone recognizes

Too bad it's none of those things, and it's one of the most commonly misunderstood acronyms pushed on this site. Hell, many people don't even know what it stands for.

>In the French translation Napoleon is called César because it's still illegal to name your pig Napoléon in France

My point about merchants still applies. Not a noble and not a pissant, so no, not every one but the highest ups was a peasant

Like, someone who is a currently peasant? The only way I can see that working is if the PCs are something somehow even less powerful, like maybe other peasants. That does not prevent peasants from being villainous, of course (no pun intended). They can serve that role quite ably (see The Hidden Fortress, among others, or certain of The Cadfael Chronicles), and a BBEG could certainly have a background as a peasant or pose as one, but I can't see how to have an actual current peasant as a proper BBEG.

This is an excellent solution. You could easily have a feudal Mr. McGregor in like Bunnies and Burrows or something.

This isn't a description of a peasant. This is pretty much a description of any noble in the Middle Ages.

8/10 Would play.

>The only commoners who were not peasants were urban populations.

Yeah, and they were almost always the wealthy commoners.

Peasants are badass. Don't mess with them.

youtube.com/watch?v=C7zoZe-ZATs

meant to quote

Oh please you're smarter than this. You know people on here rarely ever type it out as anything other than the acronym. You also know that meaning of words can change to suit the community that uses them.

You're just being anal about the usage of BBEG for no reason other than to be anal about it. Take a nap.

Jack Cade, Wat Tyler, the German Peasants' War, the Carinthian Peasant Revolt, the Friulain Revolt, the Ivaylo Uprising, etc., etc. Fail your history roll OP?

Remember, the BBEG is evil in the point of view of the people who've hired the players. While Wat Tyler and his armed mob may be rebelling against a corrupt nobility and church, that really didn't matter to all the villages they attacked, looted, & burned on their way to London or all the people they robbed, killed, and raped.

This is also something that literally happened during some plagues with actual wealthy peasants carving themselves estates out of the ruins and sometimes even getting away with it for long enough that their family was considered noble a few centuries down the line.

underrated post.

>We are humans!

And what time period are games with peasants in them are set in, faggot?

or more likely a lesser gentleman than the knight.

You should be smarter than to try and defend "big bad evil guy" by calling it short, simple, or useful.

Heck, trying to defend it at all is ridiculous.

Had we not earned the right to the earth that we plow? Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
"No," says the man in the castle, "it belongs to me." "No," says the man in the church, "it belongs to God."
I rejected those answers; instead, I chose to run those people through with pitchforks and take what is rightfully mine! On the ashes of feudalism we'll build a free market society! Who's with me?

Yes, he can be one of the village elders who was educated in law by the church as a way to better manage his bit of land.

youtube.com/watch?v=YTWsUvT8nsw

A charasmatic peasant rabble rouser is stoking the flames of rebellions against a fair and just lord, on behalf of a cabal of power hungry wizards.

Enlists the aid of local religious officials to enact his reign of terror? I like it.

A band of adventurers screwed up an evil ritual by cultists who tried to resurrect an ancient dark lord, and as a result the dark lord was reborn as a poor peasant.

The master breeder behind Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Not really, mostly because RPGs have PCs who are uniquely powerful. Sure, you could have a peasant revolt or a rabble-rouser, but unless he has a lot of class levels (In which case he's probably a pawn of dark powers) he'll die fairly easily.

Making up abbreviations for everything is a part of American culture. Deal with it or GTFO.

Who said the main antagonist also needs to be the final boss? Or that there needs to be a final boss at all?

Does it matter? He's a target and he's going to die anyway. Why quibble?

Because final battle is not a necessary element of a campaign. And if you insist on having one, sometimes it feels incredibly satisfying to squash the bastard who's been giving you so much trouble in one hit.

There's a war going on, and the heroes' homeland suffers greatly, the enemy conquered half of the country, all the important cities are lost, there is barely any hope now. And yet, there are rumors about a prophecy, that a young peasant maiden will lead the army and reclaim the lost lands. Soon such a maiden appears indeed, she says that she hears voices of the gods that tell her what to do. She appears before the army, raises their morale and bravely leads them into battle, capturing an important fortress. Now more and more troops join her as she captures town after town. However, she's actually a witch, and although she will successfully drive the conquerors out, the king will become her mind controlled puppet, and she will slowly turn the country into a totalitarian state ruled by a cult of an eldritch god she worships. The PC's must stop her, but it's quite a hard task, as everyone around believes that she's the hero and the deliverer. They can try associating with the enemy, but that means they would betray their homeland. Finally, why should they even trust the old monk who told them the truth? They will probably first need to make sure he wasn't lying.

>doesn't know what a BBEG is

Why are you even in this thread?

I need to make a group of Frenchmen play this campaign.

Do you complain about "FLGS" too?

Idiot god peasant?

Disciples II was such a cool game

What is that, Ye Olde Sniktbub?

No, never.

Or they have a pet cat

>install a system where supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses
Madness! And clear mark of chaos mind rot too!

Pegasus Knight.

A warrior-type Empire hero.

>Could a peasant work as a BBEG? How would he work?

I remember this happened in Dark Sun campaign somebody had. You see in 1st edition Dark Sun everyone rolled for random psionic talents and if you were really luck and kept rolling 99 on the tables you would eventuall get to very rare and powerful talents.
IIRC the campaign focused on a peasant who rolled psionic time travel

>can a peasant be the BBEG

Sure, if they're smart and charismatic. If they have those two things, they can achieve a lot.

I mean, weren't Hitler and Stalin essentially peasant BBEGs? Especially Uncle Joe.

> Hitler
> Stalin
> Peasants
No.

Seriously, i don't recall even one disciples1-2 unit which looked like shit. Art-direction is a top notch here.
Even the peasant in the OP picture looks like someone who kicks goblin's asses everyday.

Indeed. The art-style was top notch, the atmosphere was dark fantasy of the most fun type.

Pity it all went down the drain with Disciples 3.

Also pity they did not use the animesque (though it looks like a toned-down version of Battle Chasers...dunno how to call the art in Disciples 2) unit profiles in the game.

Grigori Rasputin
The man who starts as drunken lazy peasant with bad reputation. Then he got interested with occultism, folk magic and religion and finally became the most important figure in the country.
and that's only real life
if you take your typical medival-inspired fantasy setting and add to character black magic, demons,undeads and some power from dark gods/chaos or something like that then you have manipulative influental powerful and dangerous BBEG material.

Hitler was an artist and Stalin was a priest. Neither would be considered peasants in any culture or time period.

>Even the peasant in the OP picture looks like someone who kicks goblin's asses everyday.

>Hey Fredrik, you get any mining done today?
>No, I told you, goblins are all over the mines. I spent the whole day kicking goblin's asses.
>OK well the lord says there are too many goblins around, so we gotta go form a militia to fight the goblins.
>Wh-
>Yeah we gotta march about 30 miles to his castle so he can give us instructions to fight the goblins then come back here and kick them off the mines
>But-
>We leave in 30 minutes
>I am so sick of this shit.

Like this.

Maybe if the players are stray cats or something?

>The man who starts as drunken lazy peasant with bad reputation
Is that from some "130% true" book by Felix Yusupov? Because in reality he was a rich peasant with a large family and no bad reputation to speak of. The bad reputation came when he became the Empress' personal guru, and then again, it's unclear how deserved it was.

This nigga knows whats up

>dunno how to call the art in Disciples 2
I call this style "Vampire Hunter D meets Berserk"

Snowpiercer.

>And that's how Fredrik become the BBEG
>He's got sick of this shit

I don't see much Berserk but D is certainly there

Thanks lad. You cleared this for me.

Still pity they didn't use that art in-game.

de Layle that fatass...

That ugly traitor..

"NPCs of the world, Unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!"

Seriously? how about pretty much every sword, or the giant ugly demons, or the heroic constipated faces?

>respect my gay term

No.

STFU you SOB

>peasant
>a member of a class of persons, as in Europe, Asia, and Latin America, who are small farmers or farm laborers of low social rank.

Or a cat farm, just breeding cats en masse.

And then they unleash feline hordes upon unsuspecting hamlets.

Eventually, sure, he'll be destroyed by his own creations, but how many hamlets must macbeth before that happens?

>cat farm
youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

soon ita goimg to be called
SBBEGYHTDTW and peole will still defend this...
BBEG is the most retarded acronyme ever

SBBEGYHTDTW is still faster to type than "chief antagonist". So yes. I defend it.

>Congratulations, you're today's lucky winner!