Can a robot learn magic?

Can a robot learn magic?

Depends on the setting.

Depends on the setting.

If it's something like Dying Earth where it's based on memorization, I'd think so. Or if it's like in 5e where it's simply a matter of having the know-how and being able to provide the spell's components.

If it's based on having a soul, then it gets really subjective. At that point, whether or not a robot can learn magic becomes a major defining feature of the setting.

But then again, Robo probably has a soul, and it can't use magic. But I think there it's based on "life-force" or something.

No, because they don't have a mana processing organ and can't possibly get one.

>No, because they don't have a mana processing organ and can't possibly get one.
Pffft, I can get you one by the end of the week.

When robot hits the age of thirty, he becomes a wizard automatically. That's common knowledge, user.

Yes.

>put a mana processing device into a robot
>meatbags are now obsolete

The Technocore from Hyperion Cantos uses souls as their hardware.

and the Evangelions use souls as operating systems.

What if we start producing artificial organs?

Personally I like it either way.

That depends, how do you want magic to work?

>Let's dump the Necronomicon into the untested android! That's a great idea!

I'd call them all unrepentant savage idiots, but that's exactly the kind of plan my players would come up with.

Evas are cyborgs, not robots.

Yes, because some magic items can cast spells or carry the ability to let the wielder cast spells. It follows that a construct with at least some semblance of a mind could learn to cast spells or specifically be built to cast spells.

>"""""""""""learning"""""""""""" magic

Depends on the setting and writer really.
I like when settings and writers treat magic as a complex science rather than hikus pokus spiritual energy. So in that vein I'd say robots could wield magic. Heck it could even mirror the real world in ways where rovots can do things we can do with more precision, but that there is an art in manmade objects. Where an automated manufacturing line can assemble thousands of objects with precision and perfection, but something handmade has a touch of worksmanship.

But this is all assuming a setting where magic is a way of manipulating real energy that perhaps isnt visible or detectable to the human eye (kind of like radio waves and micro waves etc). Which come to think of it would just make it science rather than outward magic i guess...

I go by the logic of Hellraiser 2.
It's not who summoned the ooggidy boogiddies, but whose will made them.

>Does a submarine swim?

I never did understand that.

Assuming magic of the setting is learnable - sure.

So like everyone else pointed out, depends on the setting.

The Cenobites pretty much go after whoever wanted the puzzle solved and got it solved in some way, even via proxy.

Pretty much how the mailman isn't responsible if you mail your enemies anthrax in a pack of flour, the android isn't the reason of what it gets summoned.

Sure, if the robot's AI is advanced enough.
Hell in World of Darkness there's even computer programs that manifest as spirits in the Umbra.

Full shot of the bike.

Is the front wheel just a chainsaw?

>Underrated post.

Yes.

No because they need souls.

They weren't already?

>these quads

you just went full transcendence

But Aida did nothing wrong. It was Radcliffe the entire time.

Sure, is not a hard system, fuck even origins game or whatever the name is has decent AI

They can when they're objective the best race in the setting.

my robo-nigga

No.

Magic requires channeling energy through a living things 'animus' or life force. Robots don't have this, and therefore cannot use magic.