How broken is Cthulhutech?

How broken is Cthulhutech?

Like, I know it's swingy as fuck, but how unplayable does that make the game?

Other urls found in this thread:

anydice.com/program/6177
cthulhutech-once-were-men.obsidianportal.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Never heard of it.
But the idea of turning the lovecraftian mythos into a sci-fi setting seems cool.

it is a cool setting, but the core mechanic of poker dice is justdumb as fuck

I think turning the yog-sothothery into a high flying gunslinging sci fi setting sounds really fucking dumb, actually. Why not just make your own new setting with it's own aesthetics and feel instead of jumping a bandwagon and clearly missing the point of your original material?

Am I wrong, or does this game actually manage to capture the existential terror stuff?

>but the core mechanic of poker dice
Wat
You throw the handful of d6 or something?

When you describe it like that - it does sound stupid.
I was referring to something more horrorish - imagine Event Horizon but with CTLH notion to it. Or, heck, even Dead Space kind of thingy.

>Am I wrong, or does this game actually manage to capture the existential terror stuff?
it is acknowledged that we are all absolutely fucked. If the cultist armies don't wipe us out or the elder gods wake up, then the alien invaders will.

Granted, it's a lot closer to 40k tonally, in terms of existential terror. People going mad, the era getting worse, eternal war in a stalemate, that kind of stuff.

Its basically humans in the far future get tech on the level of the old ones to the point they start becoming old ones themselves.

inb4 somebody posts the Shub-Niggurath animal people

Not really. It's the tentacle Kaiju apocalypse with recognizable names. I do enjoy the setting, but it's about as lovecraftian as Independence Day.

I assume you mean these guys?

anydice.com/program/6177

Don't forget the stuttering curve of critical failures, and the fact that with sufficient dice you can (in theory) critically succeed and fail simultaneously.

Trashy fetish-fuel setting that apes EVA, Guyver, and Robotech. That in and of itself isn't bad, but combined with the sloppy rules it isn't very appealing.

Sounds properly sanity breaking for a Lovecraftian game.

I try to.

You might want to look up the homebrew based on The Void, called Cthulhu Void Tech. Never heard of it before now, but it can't be worse than Cthulhu Tech.

>getting raped to death by a furry

Truly this is the ultimate horror setting

Depends on the GM honestly.
a good GM can give the existential terror in spades if they want to. IF they want to. Just show that your weapons, and mecha, and all your technology still only makes you a pale blue dot that the gods don't even perceive. when that pale blue dot winks out it won't be a tragedy, because it barely existed to begin with.

It can be fun just to pacific Rim that bitch however. Plasma Cannon Cthulhu in his dumb fucking mouth. That Bitch Ass Nigga got taken out by a steam ship. Made him go Night Night! Lets see how He likes the flames of the SUN! Bitch gonna need more then a map after that. HFY!

Its all in what you want to do. Show how pointless you still are even with all the tech, or put the fear of humanity in God.

>How broken is Cthulhutech?
It has some problems, but it's serviceable and can be fixed with some tweaks. The mecha stats and movement were the biggest problems.

We had fun with it: cthulhutech-once-were-men.obsidianportal.com/

Just get the Core Book and Vade Mecum; the following books were quite poor but the foundation is solid and the premise can take you to interesting places.

>it's serviceable and can be fixed with some tweaks
Tweaks won't fix the base mechanics of the game.

>forget the stuttering curve of critical failures,

That happens with every dice pool game. Just avoid even numbers.

>and the fact that with sufficient dice you can (in theory) critically succeed and fail simultaneously.

How's that even a bad thing?

>Viewer discretion is advised. Some scenes may contain hentai.

That was an in-joke.

When you stop to think about it Independence Day does fill a lot of the "Existensial space horrors" checkboxes to be classified somwhat mythos.

>We are not alone; there are existances out there that makes us insignificant. CHECK
>We can not understand the outsiders. CHECK
>They are literally aliens, with alien motives and alien minds. CHECK
>They will destroy us. Fukken CHECK.
>Some of us are activly encouraging and welcoming these outerwordly terrors. God damn america CHECK.

Setting is pretty cool, but the creators either have some freaky fetishes, really like rape to make their game edgy or both. The system itself is kinda balls and is way too crunchy in weird ways even once you get past the pokerdice part. V2 is in beta but has been in beta for like 2 years now, not sure if the mechanics are better since I've only looked over it but at least the tagers have more options than just picking which one you are.

tl;dr playable but not an amazing system, pretty much begging to be run in a different game like Fate or Savage Worlds

>Fate or Savage worlds

>What's wrong with using the void conversion? It's basically the same game only with mechs and setting more on earth.

To quote the author

>'only 2% of the published material even mentions the word "rape!'

Which sadly is actually accurate if you do a word count. But in their defence the whole naughty tentacles *is* part of mythos.

TL;DR: Cthulhutech can work, but it's so flawed you might as well make your own sci-fi Lovecraft setting using a system you like.

Dead Space is my perfect setting in a lot of ways, the only thing I'd change is the portable stasis tech. Just seems, dunno, too advanced if that makes sense.

Stasis is a bit weird, but the planetcracking thing is crazy too. Human civilization would have to be insanely large and consuming for that to be a regular thing.

Oh yeah, I didn't stay around for 3, so I have to ask, did the plot actually wrap up, or did EA Old Yeller the property before that could happen?

Full balls, no restraint, absolute nightmare end.

...Well, I guess that kinda fits with anything inspired by Lovecraft. Or bought by EA.

>Wreck the underlying feel that made the game good?
Check
>Story goes full retard?
Check
>Pointless cliffhanger put there solely as a sequel hook?
Check
>Micro-transaction shittery?
Check

Yup, EA is the true evil

>Pointless cliffhanger put there solely as a sequel hook?
OK, the other stuff is standard EA fare, but did they really put a sequel hook in the game? That's really weird, considering that from what I've heard, EA would only continue with the game if it a frankly unrealistic number of copies (I think they wanted 3 to sell more than 1 and 2 combined or something). So why would they bother with a sequel hook? Overconfidence? Sadism?

Because they thought selling that many copies was a sensible goal to have. Making a lot of money is for losers, you gotta aim for making all the money, always. Can't match CoD and Candycrush? Trash.

And because developers that don't leave sufficient plot hooks for a sequel have to go up to corporate and sit in the explaining myself chair until they manage to show how this decision makes for better milking the franchise. (No, "it's a better game this way, people want good games" is not an argument that will be accepted, or even heard.)

It's the type of ending you could only get if EA was going to Old Yeller the franchise. If I recall, they said DS3 would have to sell unreasonably well for them to not axe the franchise. Which truth be told, given the gameplay of 3, I'm glad they did.

The story and final ending vindicates it all for me.

Yep.

I just looked it up, they wanted DS3 to sell at least five million, and the previous two games made around two million, each. What kind of fucking idiot would expect that much of an increase over the previous games in the series? But yeah, you're right, it was stupid of me to think EA would ever be sensible. You know, Ubisoft does a lot of shit too, but I have to give them a bit of respect for seeing how shit AC got and deciding to slow down the release schedule. The guys in development were probably celebrating.

Anyway, I guess we should get back on topic rather than turn this into a /v/ thread.

>What kind of fucking idiot would expect that much of an increase over the previous games in the series?

The kind of alpha male snake oil salesman who tends to make rapid careers into upper management by jumping form company to company quick enough that it'll always be someone else cleaning up his mess?

Ugh, right. God, reminds me of someone talking just hypothetically about the idea of a maximum wage at a company (eg. the maximum wage anyone could earn at the company would be 20 times the minimum wage) and I remember one of the arguments against it was some bullshit about how it wouldn't encourage people to work harder or something. Like these 1%, golden-parachute-having motherfuckers, these assholes who can run a company into the ground and get away unscathed while thousands lose their jobs, their very livelihoods, actually work hard or something. They probably haven't done anything we'd consider work a single day of their fucking lives.

Oh fuck, rant over.