discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/FJ9Ea?r
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

New UA tomorrow, who is excited?

Because they put it off so long, I feel like people are going to shit if it's bad.

It's... it's going to be bad.

>implying it'll actually come out

I missed /5eg/ for a few day.

Should I pretend to care and rant about discord server being on the OP?

If it's not in the OP, people start asking where it is. If it is in the OP, people ask why it's there.

Frankly, I like having it there so anyone that's so inclined can go and fuck off to the Discord if that's what they want.

>If the players are a bit too weak to stop their teammate from doing stupid things...
Aye, after all you are trying to make them have fun as a DM so that is pretty shaky, ideally you'd want to play with a group you know to test this system out, as to avoid things like that I suppose.

>As long as there's a lot of props and the weakness isn't too specific/rare, players might always surprise you
That's true, I guess you could play off of their imagination once they get into it, like if they find a good idea that you haven't thought of and to just run with it and write it down for later for inspiration.

>At the very least they can come back the way they came, but that might not always work.
Bit of a delicate situation really, but one might figure something out or the players might figure something out. Definitely is a bit of a tough one.

I'm dumb as a rock and hate keeping track of spell slots/spells known/spells per day.

Is there a good app for this or should I just suck it up and make notecards?

Just play as a Warlock or Sorcerer then. You're too retarded to be a proper caster.

New idea on the backstory: The character is the offspring of a tiefling mother who is part of a small community of tieflings who make a living as pirates during the off season of crops and a human artificer father. Although they never had a true romantic relationship, they didn't dislike each other and kept in touch via the character. The character would tend to alternate between one or the other, as each thought the other's environment was too dangerous (ie; his pirating life gets him kidnapped and his apprenticeship costs him a hand his dad has to replace with a mechanical one), leading to experience as an artificer and a pirate. Having been about 2 years since he saw his father, he receives word that he died in an experiment gone awry. The beginning of the campaign would be the beginning of his journey to see his human family and receive whatever inheritance or closure awaits him, but presumably it takes a lot longer than he anticipates and leads to something of a crisis of identity. Also as a result of this dual parenthood, he would have an infernal and human name, only giving his infernal name to those he considered essentially family. Thoughts?

Posted this in last thread right after the new thread link, thought I should post it here as well.

Do humans and tieflings make more tieflings? I thought tieflings were demon babbies.

Also why do you have a gay robot Star Wars hand?

5e spell book apps?

Tieflings only require 1 tainted human ancestor from a pool of >50,000.

I just thought it'd be a quaint edition to my character's swashbuckling past. Lots of stereotypical pirates have hook hands, why not make a better one if your dad's a kickass artificer?

I don't think it'd be bad to use lower CR monsters but have more encounters and have them act smarter. Especially if players are expected to bypass some fights entirely.
It might mean they'd see a lot less of the higher monsters, but it's not like the players need to see a mummy lord instead of a mummy.

With handling a weak but constantly comes back monster, I think a good way to play those would be that they might lose body parts at various points. Despite having lost an arm where they'd normally stop fighting, they still try to get up and fight even if they're weaker. As long as you can draw the point before it turns into the black knight fight where you say 'Yeah, you don't even need to roll to attack. The possessed goblin has no arms, you just kick it over and stab it.' then it should be fine since that won't drag the combat out. It'd then hint that the players might be facing a spellcaster who can control creatures later.

It makes sense a hero might use Excalibur or what-have-you all the time, but it's other things like a cloak of protection .. It'll never come up, it's just a +1 to things. So what's more interesting is, say, once a week a cloak that prevents something from happening, where it'll be a bigger deal for the player in roleplay terms and when they're thinking of what to do. So not using the item is also something they should do, to preserve its effect.

It's always good to support weaknesses you haven't thought of.

Why is second wind worse than lay on hands? Lay on hands 5 x your paladin level, but second wind is only d10 + your fighter level

Bonus action vs action?
Holy fucking paladin vs guy restoring stamina via pure grit?
Why is this even a question? Honestly a better question is why does tranquility monk have a 2X effectiveness lay on hands they can use as a bonus action, though I don't think that makes paladins/lay on hands bad at all

Second wind is self-only, can't cure disease, but it's a bonus action.

At level 1, fighter also gets fighting style alongside second wind.
At level 1, paladin only really gets the 5 HP lay on hands and divine sense, which is kinda.. Meh.

It's fine for an ability to be worse than another.

>bonus action to use
>short rest recharge

>why does tranquility monk have a 2X effectiveness lay on hands they can use as a bonus action

HE HAS NOTHING ELSE

Leave Monks alone, good god.

>Water Whip as a bonus action? Whoa there. Did you think you were allowed to do anything useful other than Stunning Strike?
>Sorry champ, we're taking that back. FUCK YOU
>FUCK MONKS

T-thanks WotC.

>It makes sense a hero might use Excalibur or what-have-you all the time, but it's other things like a cloak of protection
I mean, I suppose it all depends on how much you emphasize the RP of it.
If you just go "yeah it's a +1" then yes it is a bit underwhelming. If you instead, on a successful save, go "the cloak, moving unnaturally against the wind as if of it's own accord, swirls around you and protects you from the scorching flames". You can make things cool simply out due to RP, they don't necessarily always have to be the most interesting items.

Sam and Frodos cloaks for example in LotR. Technically it's just a sort of modified Wood Elf feature, able to blend into your surroundings. But they ended up being pretty damn cool.

>once a week
I mean sure, you could do that, but you'd have to make it really powerful to balance out the "once per week" thing.

Because fighters aren't divine spellcasters.
Second wind is an adrenaline surge. Lay on Hands is channeling divine energy to alleviate your wounds.

I just think it's a shame that it scales badly compared to paladin.

Paladin has healing spell once they are out of LoH.

So I want to turn the King in my campaign into a Dragon and then have him continue ruling his kingdom because well...Dragon King.

Any suggestions for cool story sequences that result in him becoming a dragon? He is currently a Dragonborn.

Favorite Sorcerer Multiclass? I was thinking of playing a Fighter/Sorcerer, but I'm not sure how I would build him.

Okay question: Paladin multiclass into barbarian. Yes or no?

Huh... I never look at Transquility Monk before...

So they can soak up damage and heal themselves up pretty fast (spending 1 Ki to use their healing power during flurry of blow).

Never thought of that but it has some merits. Most of the time your combat spell slots get used on Smites anyway and Barbarians get some pretty cool stuff.

Fighter 1 / Favored Soul X?
Heavy armor and greatsword. Use buff spell on yourself and counterspell and teleport to kill enemy caster.

Also attack > extra attack > haste action attack > quicken booming blade and laugh.

>he's currently a Dragonborn

Ehh. Not that much of a stretch. He just drank some magic juice or tripped and fell into a dragonpucci, bam, full dragon now.

Question, how is polymorph even remotely balanced?

Was working on creating a trickery cleric and then noticed they get polymorph. I know what it does, but wanted to read up on the specifics.

So as a level 9 trickery cleric I can polymorph myself or another party member into a fucking t-rex? What the fuck. Sure you can argue that a t-rex has an int of 2 and would just attack anything (you do keep personality and alignment though, so there can be a counter to that argument). So then just pick a giant ape instead. It's still absurd.

A Divination Wizard can polymorph a BBEG into a rat and cast sleep on it in the next turn.

Welcome to "why full casters are godtier".
Lvl 20 wizard can true polymorph into a pit fiend or balor so.. yeah.

>not having your BBEG actually be a set of ideals that people take into themselves and thus can only be defeated by killing the entire population or somehow exerting your own will onto them

HA HA HA

At level 9? Forge Cleric can cast animate object and do 65 average damage. T-rex only do 33 (or 53 if you count the tail).

High level spell is a bonker like that.

> Not true polymorph into a CR20 dragon and use lair action to shape change into CR21 dragon and keep going higher.

>I can polymorph myself or another party member into a fucking t-rex?

Yes, but you still have to maintain concentration, and you're far more CC as a t-rex than as something with legit tricks

Forge cleric is UA so whatever.
I only listed this specific example because it's what I happened to be looking into at the time.
Besides, you can totally just cast it on a non-combat oriented party member if you want. Don't even have to sacrifice your own DPR if that's how you've built yourself.

Yeah, I know this as well. But then again most games don't usually get to 20. Or they take forever to do so anyway.

Any house rules out there that don't nerf it into uselessness but reign it back just a little?
Highest level beast is a T-Rex right? Would changing the CR possible to level/2 be a decent fix? You'd still be able to get T-Rex eventually if your game lasted long enough.

In all honesty I probably won't change it at all. My players usually don't power game too much. They also don't seem to pick full casters that much oddly enough.

I'm curious if they're actually going to produce a sorcerer archetype that competes with dragon.
Many of the caster archetypes so far have seemed like collections of random slapped together features, so probably not.

Also, you make yourself incredible bait for the DM to take out the cleric

Can I play divination wizard with ritual caster feat instead of lucky?

I really want to cast Augury and Divination (the spell). It's weird how diviner doesn't get those naturally.

The UA tempest and favoured are better than Dragon.

A cunning DM will note that when a character is polimorphed their mental stats are polymorphed as well, and that a T-Rex let loose in the battlefield, should be a loose canon that attacks all sides, reverting control to the DM until the spells effect no longer takes hold

You're thinking too little my man. Just T-rex? When you can be a Half Red Dragon T-rex that can breathe fire and do 18d6 damage?

Also... the best use for Polymorph is still CCing the BBEG (and slap him with hp-based spell like sleep or hypnotic pattern), so changing CR won't do a thing.

A cool DM just lets his player be a fucking T-Rex because it's still not an "I win button" by any means.

Just because they're dumb it doesn't mean that they are going to attack things that have up until that time always been their friends.

> It retains its alignment and personality.
The T-rex doesn't become Chaotic Evil

But, has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?

Right, I addressed that with the giant ape suggestion. They have an int of 7. Seems reasonable they can think.

That's true. Don't focus too much on the cleric bit. This is just more about polymorph in general.

This is absolutely true. If I were to run with such a character I'd likely use it more for crowd control anyway. I don't like to abuse spells in a way that would unbalance the encounter to a point of no-fun.

Wizards should get the ability to cast rituals by default as a class feature.

It becomes chaotic hungry

But you can't cast cleric ritual. Augury and Divination are Cleric-only ritual spell.

>half-dragon beasts
Oh boy it's you again.
Variants are not the rule. I'd love to see your autistic stomping when I tell you no.

Ah, I see the problem now.

There is nothing stopping you from taking the feat I guess. It's up to you.

Did you stroke out in the middle of that sentence?

feat and variant human are optional rule, just like half-dragon template

I had a Druid who abused to the shit of Pixies and ruined all combats by butt fucking action economy and taking an hour every turn.

So our DM dumped us three clay golem and tried to send us a subtle message for the following three hours.

He caught the hint, I think (but still insisted in keeping our two fighters polymorphed as dinossaurs for the whole match)

Jesus christ

Times are changing user. I'm starting to feel old.

time to reroll into lucky diviner halfling then.

It genuinely makes me shiver to think that people born in the year 2000 will be able to post here next year.

>Not having your BBEG actually be a leader of a group of viking zombies

HA HA HA

How did he polymorph two people at once? I don't think the spell lets you do that.

What's the consensus on artificers?

Conjure woodland being to get 8 pixies (actually against the rule, since DM is the one who choose what appear from the spell)

Each one can cast Polymorph.

Or twinned spell Sorcerer.

It's ok user, we just have to accept it. In another 10 or so years, they'll feel like we do now.

Shit.

They're not avatar monks or zoophilia rangers, so they're a-ok.

throw acid at everything

So my buddy loves Wardens (I think from 4e?) and brought me this to hopefully play.
>DM's Guild
At any rate, I told him as written it is a no go
(Two common saves, stacking CON mod, DEX mod, and armor AC, a fuckton of attacks and extra damage ect) but I kind of like the general idea of the class, so I'm going to make mincemeat out of this pdf and pop out something manageable for him.
I'm probably going to get rid of all the new spells, most of the archtypes (so much bloat) nerf many of the features. What I was hoping you guys could help me with is features and flavors.
What did a Warden fucking DO in 4e? What type of things were they capable of? I hesitate to base my chopdown of this class on this doc alone

>TL;DR
May I please be enlightened about the 4e Warden?

What is the most useful Draconic Ancestory to use?

#1 Make Warden a subclass. It'll save you so much time and heartache. Perhaps a Fighter/Druid to EK's Fighter/Wizard.

It was the inspiration for the Paladin's Oath of the Ancients. Just use that.

>Just play as a Warlock or Sorcerer then.
>Sorcerer
Yes, go ahead and suggest a class with even more bookkeeping, great idea.

Though to answer your question:
>What did a Warden fucking DO in 4e? What type of things were they capable of?
They were a defender, so their main job was to take the focus off of allies and direct it towards themselves. A lot of how they did this involved manipulating terrain--by creating difficult terrain, for instance, they made it harder for enemies to get away from them.

Their most unique characteristic was that their daily powers let them change form to various avatars of nature--like an avatar of ice and snow with an aura that slowed enemies.

Making a storm sorcerer and I need an awesome spell focus. I was some sort of crystallized lightning stone or something like that. Anyone have any art or a good gallery of artifacts I can look through myself?

Meh, I see zero problems with this class.

It's still not as good as a Lore Bard or anything. He can't really afford to stack CON/DEX/WIS because of MAD, the anti-metal restricts him from the good magic items, etc.

4E Wardens were a defender category class, so punishing enemies that attack other party members, making it hard for them to move past, disrupting effects, etc. I never bothered with them honestly.

Moon Druid. Full prepared caster, so you need to know all the spells. Wild Shape, so you need to know all the beast ability. Conjure X, so you need to know all the Fey and Elemental stat block too.

>less spells
>less spell slots
>???
>hurr hurr sorcery points means more book keeping

>crystallized lightning stone

Why is indomitable worse than aura of protection?
Once per rest you get to fail your wisdom saving throw a second time. Amazing.

Is there a way to dual wield spears? I'm trying to to figure out if it would be possible to build a wushu fighter, doing crazy shit like Lu Bu

Do NOT take one of these for your focus

Not every feature of a class is balanced against every other feature of every class.

You could, but mechanically it would suck fuckin' ass.

Dual Wielder feat, then just... use two spears.

When lightning strikes sand, it can turn some of it to a glassy material called fulgurite. You could use a chunk of that.

>not wanting to charge up and JO with your sorcerer buds

Look, I know it works, because I've seen it glow before.

So no way to make it not mechanically suck? better off just using one and taking PAM huh?

It does work but it's unlikely you'll always be able to find another sorcerer to charge up with. The power of the JO crystal requires careful planing.

There's also the spear mastery feat I guess.

PAM doesn't work with spears, so either Glaive it up or Spear Mastery, which isn't bad at all.

>Conjure woodland being to get 8 pixies (actually against the rule, since DM is the one who choose what appear from the spell)

>Point this out to my DM
>He says its ok and I can pick whatever I want for these types of spells
>B-but... it's broken
>Ah don't worry it's not that broken
>mfw

What the fuck do I do?

The whole appeal to Spear Mastery though is increasing the damage die when wielding the spear in TWO hands. It does nothing when he's dual wielding spears other than give him a +1 to hit on his spearing and lets him waste his bonus action for another +5 feet of reach.

I don't get the reference.

Thanks for the serious answer, but that looks like it just got squeezed out a duneworm's asshole. Any alternate ideas for a lightning-themed focus?

Spam polymorph and sleep on enemy while transforming your martial into a flying half dragon t-rex

It changes the damage dice when one-handed as well.

And? So is encumbrance, and flanking, and a whole host of other shit.

Yes, but we already determined dual wielding spears was shit. You can still do crazy Lu Bu shit with just one spear and Spear Mastery, or go for one of the other spear-like weapons that works with PAM.

Don't abuse it until you're in a super shitty situation and then pull it out as your ace in the hole. You'll only ever get to use it once, save it for when it counts.

2012 meme, I think.

m.imgur.com/FJ9Ea?r

This. Just save it for a dire circumstance.

Hi /5eg/, I have recently joined a new campaign with "That Guy" in it.

He is playing an Aasimar who is holier than thou, which he thinks is funny as a double entendre and literally does not help the party at all unless in combat, where he does his absolute best to look heroic while doing dick all to actually win.

Outside of combat he acts all mysterious and aloof and never really converses with anyone unless telling them what to do, whereupon we all just say fuck no and do what we want anyway.

He also gives no fucks about the story as a whole, just wants to rush to the next fight.

How do I kick him when I'm the new guy?

> Blue Dragonborn(for lightning)
> Bard/Barbarian multiclass
> Battleaxe doubles as a instrument

How can I make this concept even more metal?