Rate my Space Marine chapter

I'm not sure if it's too "noblebright" for 40k, or if it's too special snowflake. I need help making them more fallible, and most of all I need a chapter logo. Here it goes:

Angels of Murder (13th Founding, fleet-based)

Don't know founding chapter, think it's Fists because of their tendency to get wiped out, or Raven because of their pragmatism (they're really Ultramarines)

Were nearly wiped out in a battle against the Nids, reduced to 150 full Battle-Brothers and 1st, 2nd, 3rd companies wiped out

Geneseed flaw slowed hypno- conditioning, so couldn't replenish losses quickly

Almost all relics lost, with exception of one Contemptor Dread, Ancient Arak, and all the power armor they had left was mainly MkV and MkVI

Their former 7th Company commander became Chapter Master, made several changes to chapter structure to compensate

He installed a Chapter Counsel to help him lead, as he was relatively inexperienced for the job

They would focus on bolter drills and stealth to make use of what equipment they had left, become self-sufficient in learning how to repair their wargear and fleet, and become friendly to Imperial Guard to augment their firepower

Under his leadership, the Angels became known for their marksmanship and skill at ambush, in addition to a more relaxed approach to out-of-battle discipline

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Armour
1d4chan.org/wiki/Lamenters
1d4chan.org/wiki/Minotaurs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Later, the Angels were led to the Maxima system to put down a rebellion

The rebels were well-organized and free of Chaos, while the leaders were guilty of criminal mismanagement and corruption

Instead of crushing the rebellion, they chose to intimidate the governor instead and force a peace settlement

This would make the Inquisition suspicious of their loyalty in the future

After a brief period of restructuring, Maxima was at peace, with the Chapter Master personally overseeing the rebuilding of their defenses

Notable events during Reconstruction include the purging of Orks from one of Maxima's moons, a minor truce established with a minor Craftworld (if you don't bother us, we won't bother you), taking in a peaceful band of Beastmen as chapter serfs, repelling a Tau offensive and getting them embroiled in a war with a Night Lords warband, and finding a cache of Pre-Heresy equipment

Though stealthy long range fighting was still their forte, the Angels would branch out into multiple different types of warfare, using different chapter tactics as the situation warranted

They also reached out to Space Marine chapters in adjacent systems, fighting alongside the Rust Angels, Aquamarines and the Warp Specters in multiple campaigns

However, the Inquisition accused them of heresy- their truce with the Eldar, acceptance of Beastmen, not pursuing a campaign of genocide against the Tau, their empire-building with their Marine allies, and their refusal to eliminate the rebels being evidence against them

Now they are being sent off planet in a penitent crusade, directly in the path of Abaddon

As Maxima is besieged by Tyranids and the Tau, the entire 7th Company falls to Nurgle as part of a deal to save it, but is promptly put down by the rest of the chapter

The chapter has hope that they will survive to rebuild Maxima, and hope that Terra can be saved- but in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.

The name is cringe-inducing, even for 40k

They look like poop

Got it. Maybe I should save it for a joke chapter.

How about Wrathful Shades? Unbowed Helms?

They look better in real life. Elf Flesh shows up much better in real life than on Chapter Generator.

>1st company wiped out.
>Loses nearly all relics
>13th founding
>Primarily has MKV and MK VI armor ?!?

That makes no sense from a lore perspective. You can get away with the MK VI, but normally MK V is pretty rare and viewed as a status symbol. A 13th founding chapter isn't going to get more than a handful of these, and unless they were giving it to the other companies instead of their 1st, they should have barely any suits left. Keep in mind this is Heresy era armor.

Exactly how many marines does this chapter have left at any time? You desperately need a timeline for all the stuff you have going on, as well as how many marines are in the chapter at any important time. Makes their history very confusing, as I read it the chapter should not exist anymore due to everyone being dead.

Also your marines are heretics. IIRC the stable beastmen are not okanymore after the heresy, being nice to rebels is heresy, and cooperating with xenos is heresy.
You could probably excuse the not purging the governer/nobility to a more... reasonable inquisitor, but the mutant loving/talking to is going to be VERY difficult to get the most forgiving inquisitor to not just scream excommunicate traitoris and run to the high lords.
And when you factor in all 3... It would be a literal miracle that your dudes didn't get a visit from the Minotaurs.

3/10
-1 for cringy AF name.
-2 for no timeline of events / appearing to have taken losses that should have wiped them out. Made even worse by the gene-seed flaw that makes it harder for you to recruit.
-1 for Snowflakiness due to armor, see above for reasons why no chapter has any business having that much armor.
-2 for ULTRA FUCKING HERESY. See above, 1 might be excusable, but all 3 together do not get you a penitent crusade.
-1 for under siege by tyrannids and tau. Fluff wise, that would never happen, as the Tau will either fuck off/truce to kill tyrannids

Duly noted. Will revise accordingly.

Name is terrible, will replace. Need suggestions, though.

Heresy will be toned down. Mainly use Mk VI and VII armor, reserving the Mk V and IV for battle honors (after they found the cache.)

They still successfully negotiate between the ruling government and rebels, but their "truces with xenos" are limited to "we're not going to actively chase you as long as you don't even think about coming within eyeshot." No beastmen.

But in all seriousness, thanks for the advice.

No problem. The other stuff is a good example of the marines drastically changing tactics in order to save their chapter. Make the cache heresy era, and the MK V makes more sense. Will be around if for a bit if you have anymore lore questions.

user are you retarded? There is no such thing as Mark V armor. It was never issued. Mark V armor is just power armor that is cobbled together as necessary, and can be typically found in the use of chapters who can't into logistics, like the Space Sharks or Marines Malevolent.

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Armour
Its about halfway down.

Really?

Really?

>This ad-hoc assemblage of various armour mark segments (including new or unoffical design elements) being created by a multitude of legions resulted in an entirely new mark of armour being 'accidentally' created; these previously non-standard, emergency/stopgap designs were retroactively termed as the Mark V once production of the Mark IV was halted and the design for the subsequent Corvus Armour mark (Mark VI) was finalised.

There is no such thing as Mark V. It was never made by the Emperor or his Engineers. It's a general term referred to cobbled together power armor made in the horus heresy, but there is zero reason why it cannot still be made in the "modern" age of 40k, and it is still is given its prevalence among some Chapters. It's also the shittiest "mark" of power armor, as the cobbled together suits have poor cooling and will overheat, and the armor quality can be dogshit.

what are you going for with the scheme?
looking at it line by line

name is a bid bad, Angels of Maxima maybe? unbowned blades?

they can claim the planet as they rebuild it to protect it from the inquisition, acquiring their ire in the process

what made them lose all their relics?

chapter council seems like a neat idea

so they have a "ambush, shoot, as they try fall back and try to regroup, shoot again" strategy? very cool

maybe the beastmen were natives of maxima and were nearly wiped out, since they are intelligent and follow the cult, makes them imperial citizens, but since they don't they are abominations, they cut and sand their horns to hide that fact, wearing robes with hoods

Well fuck. My bad, that's what I get for skimming.

Wasn't sure about this, but maybe their chapter is 21st? I was thinking that their "curse" would be getting nearly wiped out, then just as they get to full strength they nearly get wiped out again. Since their geneseed flaw hampers recruitment they would have to wait about a thousand years before getting back to full strength... which makes the getting wiped out bit even more painful. And since the 21st was in M35... they've been wiped out and returned at least 7 times.

What should be their battle cry? I was thinking "We live! We die! We live again!" but it might be too Mad Max.

The names I would pick to replace are the Wrathful Shades or Unbowed Helms. I took them from the poem Invictus.

Maybe the Minotaurs were sent to take care of them, but their Marine allies (my friends' chapters) scared them into backing off until they could talk to an Inquisitor? Pobably not, but I don't know anything.

The bit with Tyranids and Tau is salient. Will change it to just the Tau.

Is that Guardsman flipping off the Knight?

Likewise there is really no such thing as MK III Iron Armor either. It's just a heavier, up-armored version of MK II with ceramite slabs affixed for tunnel fighting/boarding actions (primarily boarding now that the Squats are dead).

It truly just goes- MK 2 > MK 4 > MK 6 > MK 7 ~ MK 8. Errant Armor being a tricky thing as its degree of difference from MK 7 depends entirely on what fluff you read.

Battle cry sounds good.
Personally I like the Unbowed helms.
>Maybe the Minotaurs were sent to take care of them, but their Marine allies (my friends' chapters) scared them into backing off until they could talk to an Inquisitor? Pobably not, but I don't know anything.
The Minotaurs are Anti-Space marine space marines. They act like attack dogs for the high lords of terra, and are fucking brutal.
Most known for fucking the Lamenters up during the Badab war.

If your getting rid of your SUPER HERESY, there is no reason your dudes should encounter them. If you want the the penitent crusade to happen after the whole 7th company nurglites instance, that makes perfectly good sense.

Also read a bit on the Lamenters1d4chan.org/wiki/Lamenters and Minotaurs 1d4chan.org/wiki/Minotaurs
Cause right now you are heading towards a very lamenter-esque chapter. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
>that Guardsman flipping off the Knight?
Nah, its a thumbs up.

Thanks man, learn something new everyday :P.
Says something about the setting that there is still stuff that I don't know/have good knowledge of.

Some suggestions

>Slayer Angels
>Angels of Wrath
>Doom Wraiths
>War Shades
>Shields of Dawn
>Orange Sherbet Marines
>Marines Gallant
>Marines Defiant
>Gilded Hawks
>Mournhounds
>Fel Shriekers
>Dirge Callers
>Shattered Helms

No, that's a Guardsman and Knight giving eachother the thumbs-up. Appreciate the awesomeness.

Another factoid is that MK III Power Armor cannot use a jump pack on account of its outlandish weight.

>scared them into backing off until they could talk to an Inquisitor? Pobably not, but I don't know anything.

The Minotaurs are fearless. Fucking with them is a good way to get Volkite shived up your ass by a Contemptor Dread.

The Beastmen thing has to go, as well. Abhor the Mutant my friend. Alliances with Xenos, especially Tau and Eldar, is acceptable when given a greater common enemy such a large WAAAGH, Necron, or Tyranids. But Beastmen is a no go.

>>Orange Sherbet Marines
Kek

I was under the impression that being a 21ster automatically painted a target on your head by the Inquisition. You don't necessarily NEED to be a heretic to get your face smashed in by the Minotaurs, but it helps.

Besides, from what I've heard, "Not actively seeking out and committing genocide on xenos" and "negotiating things peacefully with rebels" are practically death sentences for a Space Marine chapter. And after the Badab War, getting too buddy-buddy with other chapters would get the Inquisition very suspicious.

Maybe their policy towards mutants is "Eh, we won't enslave you or kill you, but you're getting fixed"?

And I'm beginning to think this chapter is the "Reasonable Marines but they're being treated like the anomalies they are in 40k."

Not OP, but here's what I think:

Truces with Eldar happen all the time though. Also how is making a practical peace settlement with a governor and avoiding a war, heresy? The rebellion was "put down" just perhaps in a different way than the Inquisition had hoped: suspicious, but not heresy.

The beastman thing is the only part that is pretty weird, generally most space marine chapters stay clear of mutants. Bringing in mutants as non-combat personnel would be extremely dangerous, especially seeing as how most beastmen likely have some measure of chaos taint. And it's not like the Space Wolves because these guys are bringing in mutants, it's not their geneseed that causes the mutation. Doing such a thing would be a major liability for the chapter.

Tangerines