>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
It's ded

New arcana is TODAY. What are your expectations?

More classes trying to be other classes.

Low

I'm trying to go significantly lower magic to some extent. Currently thinking whether I should just ban full casters (besides warlock), and probably move a few of the unique things attached elsewhere (maybe allow a warlock to trade the lock spell list for another caster class, and still allowing spells from these lists through feats). How do low fantasy DMs do this without just capping everything at low levels?

How would you build a knowledge cleric? Would Half-elf 8 14 12 13(+1) 15(+1) 10(+2) be any good?

Have you considered playing a system actually suited for your plans? Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay comes to mind.

D&D is conceptually a lot less scary because it's not some random thing I pulled out of my ass, especially with new players (I've got an old ass scan of a friend's obscure game system as a plan B).

2E could handle it fine with fine tuning, I'm sure 5E can too.

In a system where there are only three classes that don't get magic, but both having archetypes to supersede that, it really isn't going to feel like a low magic setting for the players due to the system. I agree with .

On the other hand, if you really want it to be 5e, make short rests 8 hours, and long rests a week. That means a wizard can only cast his spell once, that's it. He doesn't cast meteor swarm, then take a snooze and do it again. Then, make it so in order to cast spells that have a material component, they need that material component even if they have an arcane focus.

Though be careful cause this is getting into the boring setting area. You have to have some really interesting DMing to not get bored after having to roleplay a week going by so we can cast spells that are crucial to the progresssion of the game.

If you are prone and cast Misty Step, can you use the spell to reorient you to a standing position?

That could make for an interesting setting. If you're going to include warlock as a player option though, give some indication as to why it's generally a bad idea. Maybe have their patron be quite demanding, perhaps with some appropriate distasteful trait (archfey might be whimsical and toy with you for fun, while devil may be excessively malicious to test your loyalty), and force the player to follow their plans essentially at gunpoint. If you plan on making encounters and enemies that would be trivialised by a single wizard this isn't a bad idea.

If I play a grappler, how many turns/rolls will I need to anally sodomise someone?

I would say this. Rather than ban Casters, add restrictions to magic.

Such as making a roll to succeed on casting failure does damage to you for arcane casters 1d6 per level of the spell. DC is 10+spell level. Caster gets d20+1/2 level rounded up.

For Divine again a casting roll, failure no special penalty but healing spells become dangerous to caster. They must pass a fortitude save with a DC of 8+HP healed+1 if subject is of an opposed alignment, +1 if they worship a different god. Healer takes damage equal to amount they failed by.

5e was designed so a party doesn't need spell casters if potions are available.

Prone is a condition that would supersede that. You can cast it, and your body would be shifted over, but you can't like flip it and all that.

Although what I would say is misty step 5 feet above your position, with an acrobatics check to get your feet under you.

How would a spell less paladin work? Add Charisma check bonuses and superiority dice? Add long rest abilities. Throw some ideas out.

It would look like a fighter.

Half-elf always seems like the ideal way to do knowledge cleric to me. The extra proficiencys combined with the on demand skills/tools are enough to rival a bard, plus the extra charisma doesn't go to waste with persuasion being on the cleric list to start with. The obligatory question here has to be whether it's worth investing int over con. I definitely respect your resolve and thematically it works, but remember the expertise in the int skills you get will let you use them without a decent int. Honestly I'd only recommend it if you're going to pick up investigation, which also isn't a bad idea, but to each their own. Make sure to have all the tools you may ever need (big ones being thieves' tools, disguise kit, forgery kit, possibly herbalism kit or navigation tools) so you're prepared for everything. Stealth is honestly good enough that it's worth the 1 less AC to use it without disadvantage. Being able to scout the frontline with a shield and half decent hp means you can do so without popping, and using detect thoughts from a distance means you can cast a free suggestion from the shadows without tipping off your opponent or wasting two turns to do so.

Trust me, aside from having only one attack cantrip knowledge clerics are one of the best casters in the game and while they're not so good as bards in terms of skill they can give them a run for their money.

> new player here

do you guys play with minifigs or without?

thoughts on The Adventurer's League?

Do you have any advice for me as a new player?

You can make multiclassing one or two levels to a caster possible, but your main class can't be a caster. Also, use the UA Ranger as the template for ranger instead of the PHB one.

This means that classes are restricted to: Fighter, Ranger and Barbarian and Monk (maybe). They can multiclass to casters/half-casters, but only for up to 3-5 levels.

I use minis when combat starts or it's a messy dungeon crawl

Never done AL, heard mixed reviews

As for advice, just don't take it too seriously your first game. Don't make a super complex character to start off with, and don't be afraid to speak up during interactions. I'm DMing a campaign with two new players and it always seems like they're too afraid to speak up during an RP interaction leaving me with nothing to work with. And last but not least, try to stay in character. IMO, the best way to do this is for your first character to basically be you, but in the world of DnD

>thoughts on The Adventurer's League?

Don't, ESPECIALLY if you're new. It'll give you nothing but bad habits and misconceptions.

You'd have to change the smite somehow. Either move it closer in line to what it was in 3.x or let you spend multiple superiority dice at once for a big slam. Honestly changing the various smite spells to maneuvers then having "radiant smite" as the using all the power at once in a big anime smite would fit paladin just fine.

Beyond that you could give them some more mundane knightly things. Perhaps they can perform out-of-combat prayers similar to rituals that would give buffs to themselves and/or others. Maybe give them temporary auras they could choose when they need them, or alternately allow them to make their prayer bonus an aura temporarily. Charisma check bonuses make sense, but they would need to be more fitting than a simple expertise bonus. Maybe some sort of 1/SR zone of truth that doubles as advantage on diplomacy checks to make people trust you? A lot of DM's like to run with paladins beings trustworthy, but making it a more tangible benefit would be nice. You can also slap on the "extra superiority dice at combat start if you're empty" schtick they do with all the other maneuver classes. Those are just my thoughts, but right now it's midnight over here so maybe they're not as good as I think they are. I might try working on this in the morning if you don't

Doing PotA. Party is hanging out in Triboar while they're getting some plate armor resized, still fairly early in the campaign. Should I throw anything at them?

I'm thinking of just letting them come up with things they want to do each day and then concluding each day with a performance at the inn with a dwarven singing troupe, not really try to force anything in particular.

Wild Magic is a thing, but are there any other "fun" classes out there?

>monk
>no rogue

one of these is magical and one isn't

Honestly, Open Palm monk isn't particularly magical either. And strictly speaking low fantasy can still work with Paladins, Monks and Rangers, depending on how low you want to go.

Halfling Diviner Wizard with Lucky feat.

Never worry about a roll again.

Definitely going to pick up investigation (along with other knowledge skills)

Why even bother rolling? Just tell your DM that you succeed the check.

Christ that's a great combination

Also the reason about 3/4ths of the DMs I've played 5E with ban the Lucky feat.

So i'm a fairly new DM, and am running the Lost Mines of Phandelver campaign with four other people as my "debut" campaign as a DM.
The party consists of a monk, a wizard, a barbarian and a rogue.

So, the party decided to go through the front gates, where they were promptly spotted by the goblins in the arrow slits, and the rogue and monk thought it was a good idea to find another way in while the other two hunkered down on the stairs, safe from arrow fire.

They found the back entrance, and the monk decided to rush through the castle with step of the wind to see if he could quickly flank the sniper goblins.

Of course, he didn't take into account that the rooms might be full of enemies, and proceeded to run past the goblins in the mess hall. I gave him a free pass on this one, since he just barged in rushing like a madman, and the goblins were caught off-guard.

Now, what happens next is what gave me more trouble: To try and make the best of the situation, the rogue hatched a plan: He'd lay some ball bearings next to a pool of lamp oil, and he'd goad the goblins to chase him instead of the monk, and as soon as he'd get their attention, he'd jump over the oil and set it on fire.

This obviously required more than one action, but seeing as the party was about to get overwhelmed, i let him do this, if only to buy them a few more turns to dispatch the other goblins. I also rolled 1d4 fire damage for any goblin who failed the DC for the ball bearings.

How would you have solved this situation?

FFXIV homebrew Astrologian class. You roll a D6 and get a random buff which you can apply to ally.

Any DM in their right mind would beat a player trying to do this.

Definitely going to roll it as my next character. I was going to do another GOO Warlock, but I've decided this would be much more hilarious.

Failed to mention they reached the Cragmaw Castle part of the camaign.

That's when you play a Variant Human Lucky Diviner instead.

It'll be "hilarious" for all of about 2 sessions before everyone will get sick of it and your DM will probably realize why all the other DMs ban this combo. It's not exactly new or unique, it's a well-known kind of bullshit that's not fun for anyone involved except the munchkin doing it.

What's wrong with it? It's not like the wizard will ever get to high enough level to make a simulacrum army of himself and control all the dice roll of everyone in the kingdom.

>playing new campaign
>not sure if I want to play as orc or half orc
>everyone else will probably be an orc I'll pick half orc and mix it up
>no one else picks picks orc
>ask anyone if they even have a drop of orcish blood
>they say no
>mfw

why do people do this?

Endgame for the wizard will be to make sure his timeline is the one where he never dies. Quantum suicide.

It's not that bad. Portent is only 2 rolls. Lucky is irrelevant if the wizard isn't attacking or being attacked.

Lucky (halfling) is even less relevant since Wizard won't be making that many d20 roll by himself.

I dunno, maybe you should talk to THEM about it instead of us.

Volo's Orc is bad. Like "why don't you just play Half-orc instead" bad.

You'd have to be severely butt-hurt and "That DM" to ban Lucky. Most of my players use it to dodge critical hits from monsters.

they're not orcs, they wouldn't get it.

I found this homebrew class, what's /5eg/'s opinion on it?

It's more that it's a feat thats universally useful to everyone to an insane degree, often to the point where it outweighs most other options in most situations.

It's not good game design to have a clear "best" choice whenever choice is offered.

60ft of movement at the cost of a bonus action,
120ft or 90ft depending on DM if you dash.

Green flame blade plus action surge at level 5 with that build is pretty beefy but that being said green flame blade with any level 5 fighter is beefy. Orc just gives you the most Lock down potential.

Is that in the homebrew collection?

Jeez, user.

It's a needlessly-complex rip off of Warforged.

It's no one's first feat choice that has a brain. Every class has at least one more important feat to take.

The reason I don't like it is it's giving you a bonus to pretty much everything. Initiative, a stealth check, a perception check a wisdom saving throw a strength saving throw even your attack rolls.

Rolling a luck dice is the same as gaining advantage, which averages out to be a 4-5.

The lucky feat does not help customize your character, it is a flat increase to everything the player does. The only thing it can't do is influence non-d20 rolls, but that's everything.

All other feats makes your character more specialized, more unique. Lucky makes you better at everything.

Yup, dat Divination wizard sure has better feats to take, especially how you were just bragging about how broken taking this feat would be!

1 sentence in but it's already 10/10

Yeah, War Caster and Resilient are more important for a wizard to take than Lucky unless you have a retard DM who won't ever attack the wizard.

What the hell does the Lucky feat even have to do with Portent?

>Read intro paragraph.
Oh great... another f*cking anime-ripoff class. At least it's not from Jojo

>Read class abilities
Immunities out the ass, advantage on death throws, and a healing ritual that restores you to full health regardless of everything.

Yeah... I'm done. Just play a warforged.

3 rerolls of d20 dice.

2 dice already rolled ready to be called to make sure an individual rolls poorly or well.

5 dice rolls that make you better or them worse.

So, it does nothing special for a diviner. It does exactly what it does for any other character.

>Setting has a race of Minotaurs, who are pretty much the guys from that Waterborne Adventures UA
>However, there's an incredibly easy ritual that any of them can perform, that grants them immense power and fortitude at the cost of their sanity
>Ritual basically turns them into DMG Minotaurs

How much Fantastic Racism could I get away with other NPCs treating members of this race, before it effects my players' suspension of disbelief? What if I ran a campaign where one of the villains was tricking/forcing minotaurs into undergoing this metamorphosis?
and what do I do if a minotaur player becomes interested in this ritual, even after I demonstrate the 'insanity' cost?

>Playing a wizard
>Not using mobility options like misty step, levitate, rooftops, and other means of keeping away from melee enemies
>Not making smart use of cover to keep safe from crossbow bolts
>Ever getting in a situation where you have to make con saves while the rest of your party is alive

It's like you've never actually played a wizard. Which is probably why you think Portent + Lucky is some new and amazing idea that nobody has ever come up with before.

I've DMed for 2. I guess your DM never used Cone of Cold on you.

Okay, so got two questions, Glaive or Spear? I'm thinking Glaive so I can use PAM, though I'm not sure why Spear doesn't work with PAM.

Also, I can't decide between going Fighter/Caster or Paladin/Caster, which would you suggest?

A diviner with lucky is better at negating good rolls of the enemy and making his own rolls better, way better than other classes

What feature of the Diviner is changing the way Lucky works?

They don't actually use it better than any other class. It's a dumb meme.

Glaive is useful, spear is not. Go glaive.

>I am literally too stubborn and/or stupid to acknowledge what synergy is, so you're wrong. I win!

He's just baiting at this point, stop answering him.

Diviner gets an extra die thats all.
every LR he can roll a die and he can swap it out with any roll that an ally or enemy makes basicly turning a crit to plain shit or a failed savings throw into a success.

if you have enough front liners it can work well I guess.

would still go fighter 5 warlock 1 and spam elderich blast with spell sniper. the way fighter was meant to be played.

>Also, I can't decide between going Fighter/Caster or Paladin/Caster, which would you suggest?

How far are you going into fighter or paladin? If you're just dipping in for a level or 2, paladin 2 has good caster synergy because of Divine Smite. If you don't want to fly through slots on Divine Smite, Action Surge for 2 spells in a round is really powerful

Spear doesn't work with PAM because it's intended to be a short one-hander. Also because it would probably beg the question why swords, axes and blunt weapons don't have an equivalent to PAM or GWM even more.

>Not dipping far enough into Warlock for Agonizing and Repelling Blast.

>mostly replicates the benefits of being a Warforged
>can smuggle shit inside yourself
>penalty to hit dice as an effort to "balance" the many benefits
>Gain a ritual which is basically Mending for yourself
>subclasses basically just determine whether you're lightly, moderately, or heavily armored, and grant ability score bonuses.

Wait a minute...
>CAN BE BOUND TO ANY ARMOR
>PROFICIENT IN THE ARMOR YOU'RE BOUND TO
Guys, I found the cheese! Who wants to be a wizard with 19 AC at level 1?

Lazy writing is what i expect.

There hasn't been a good UA since Cleric, Barbarian and Re-Revised Ranger.

(The Monk UA sucked balls and was a mess, the Bard and Paladin UA were hillariously edgy)

>not picking agonizing blast and elderich spear instead
>not hitting people from over half a mile away.

"Wizard never gets hit" doesn't match my experience as a player or a DM. Dragons, demons, devils, etc. aren't dumb and will go after wizards once they realize there's a wizard about and he's heavily influencing the encounter.

Are you suggesting using Lucky AND Portent on the same roll? That's quite a waste that invalidates the use of Lucky.

It's a fine feat. It's not the best feat in the game, and Diviners don't do anything with it that any other archetype or class could do with it.

I was thinking of trying to go as far as second attack in either martial class and then the rest would be the caster. As for the caster I was thinking of Sorcerer, maybe Shadow?

why would I suggest that?
you have to be pretty stupid to belive other people could be that dumb.

You DO ban feats at your table... right, anons?

I've DMed for random people at a card store. They can be really dumb.

The wizard who made it to level 20 and the current wizard I have at 16 is pretty smart. He still can't completely avoid getting hit though.

Everyone get a load of this faggot.

>You do remove some of the last tiny remaining bits of player choice in the game... right, anons?

No, I want the game to be fun

Go paladin to 6, because you want extra attack and 1 more level gets your Charisma to saving throws. You'll want Charisma as a sorcerer anyway, so it meshes well.

>the Bard and Paladin UA were hillariously edgy

To be fair, it was the "people keep asking for edgy Paladin oaths" UA.

Why would you? I'm honestly curious as to why you would ban something that lets character stand out aside from just their classes?

>Diviners don't do anything with it that any other archetype or class could do with it.

What they can do with it that other classes can't is use it to preserve their Portents. Where a Fighter might be attacked, then use Lucky to save themselves, a Diviner might be tempted to save themselves from the outset with Portent, thus using up 1/2 or 1/3 of their Portent that could be useful elsewhere. Instead, they use Lucky and hold onto Portent for more potent effects.

>Roll a monk
>I'm totally gonna create lambert from the witcher,except he punches shit
>See feats
>Tavern brawler
>Grappler
>I. AM. LUCHA.

Fuck feat banners.

I usually like letting players play what they like including feats, though I have considered scaling the game mechanics back for a playstyle that's a little more in line with B/X D&D. So no feats or multiclassing, replace skill and tool proficiencies with the background proficiency option in the DMG, add in morale rules and side-based initiative, and maybe replacing experience gained from monsters with GP to XP instead.
I know people here will hate the idea and screech at me that I'm playing the game wrong though.

I switch it up slightly.

Everyone gains 1 feat every 6 levels and variant humans are banned.
Everyone also gains 1 ASI every 4 levels (5 total) and can not exchange them for feats.

Everyone is pleased with this arrangement.

you are gimping fighters

I personally prefer characters without them, but no.

minifigs are great but require a map and therefore a non-lazy DM. AL is cool, try to get a DM thats not afraid to go away from what the book says a little bit and youll have a great time. biggest peice of advice i can give is find a non-autistic playgroup that can consistently find times to get together

People doesn't even realize the best (or worst, depending on your view) aspect of Lucky feat.

It turn disadvantage into super advantage, since you can choose any of the 3 dices.

Fighters only depend on 2 stats one of them being Con.
Not to mention the high Hp die and the highest consistent single target damage in the game.

So no the only ones i'm gimping are munchkins multiclassing in everything.

Can I get some comments on this magic chair? A lich spent a millenia or so with his ass parked on it, charging it with residual magic.

Throne of the Lich

Can cast Fly on itself as a bonus action. It has a Fly speed of 30 feet, and any person attuned can move it with mental commands. It will also obey simple commands (like "come") from the attuned individual if within 60 feet

It can be folded up for easier carrying as a bonus action. When folded, it can be used as a weapon and does 1d8 blunt damage. If the wielder uses their bonus action to channel the energies inside the chair, any damage done by it becomes magic damage for that round. If attuned, it can be used as a Monk weapon

>grappler feat
kek

pls respond

Because Fighter's get their ASIs earlier than others

My powergaming Barbarian is thinking of taking Lucky. And while I don't want to hinder fun, it seems super fucking OP and she's already the stronkest member of the group by far.

How do people houserule that shit? Fewer luck points? Make it so only one point regenerates per long rest? Ban it entirely?

three point per session.