Alien/Aliens RPG

So Veeky Forums, how would you handle an RPG set in the Alien universe? What system would you use to run it? Which would work better, a game based on the concept of the first movie, with a crew of normal folks trying to survive against one xeno, or a more Aliens based game with everyone being Colonial Marines and gunning down swarms of the fuckers?

Also, the most important question: Do you include Predator stuff too?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Pc0PxrHuYmM
e-hentai.org/g/464963/0ac6d50024/
lostmediaarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Operation:_Aliens_(Unaired_1992_Cartoon_Pilot)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My preference would be to create a system that could run games that allow for survival horror play or for action. Alien Isolation style is what I would DM personally. Predators I would leave out.

Bumping out of interest.

Hell yeah, you include Predators.

youtu.be/Pc0PxrHuYmM

>Drone
Scorpion

as someone who's already run a oneshot in the Alienverse: Try "Dread". It's the best Ruleset for horror scenarios.

Oh yeah, the Jenga tower game, completely forgot that existed. Always wanted to try that system, seems like it would be a pretty great fit.

I kind of want to play a version of the aliens but it's Konami rules, which mean there aren't any rules. So flying xenomorphs, slime xenomorphs, and boss xenomorphs.

Well, xenomorphs are implied to take some physical characteristics of their initial host, as we see in the weird dog alien in Alien 3. So you could really go crazy with that if you wanted a sillier, more over the top game.

I used to own one of these. 10/10, thanks for the nostalgia.

>mantis xenomorph
>crocodile xenomorph

Well, I don't entirely know how a facehugger could impregnate a mantis, but I'm getting a mental image of that concept and it's just about the dopest fucking thing in the world.

Call of Cthulhu, but in space and with no magic. Sanity becomes Panic. You make PAN checks and possibly lose PAN points when doing stuff like fighting xenomorphs, running from xenomorphs, seeing eggs, seeing facehuggers, witnessing a chestburst, ect. Works about the same, but easier to recover and some of the various manias/phobis need to be tweaked.

It's canonical, brah

Well fuck. Shows my lack of knowledge of the extended Alien universe. That thing is fucking awesome though.

It came along as part of an unaired TV series Operation: Aliens. (Think like Real Ghostbusters) The show never got the greenlight, but Kenner made a buttload of hybrid Alien toys, and they had Mini-comics to go along with them. Lots of neat Alien types though - Bull Aliens, Snake Aliens, Crab Aliens, Cougar Aliens, Gorilla Aliens, that kinda thing, plus redesigns of a lot of characters from the second movie.

Why did 80s cartoonists think it was a good idea to adapt rated R movies into TV shows for kids?

Granted I have many similar questions about the aesthetic choices of Americans in the 80s. Why does every single fucking 80s pop song have the same fucking African drumbeat in the background and a chorus of dudes singing in some sub-Saharan African language?[spoiler/]

That's very interesting. You know, thinking back, I definitely had some weird ass hybrid xenomorph toy when I was a kid, it was probably from that toy line.

Because money. That's always the answer. You take a cool thing for adults, you kiddify it, then you sell toys of it, and if it works you make SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY. Look at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That's an example of someone succeeding with that idea. With the amount of money that fucking franchise made, it's no surprise that there was a Robocop cartoon, and an attempted Alien cartoon, and a Rambo cartoon, etc. They were all trying to get in on that shit.

the Alien franchise isn't Star Wars, there's no such thing as a "canon" for it.

You can't not include Predators at this point.

Though, personally, Aliens has been far too coloured by extreme fetish art/fiction.

That just raises the question of why they stopped doing it.
>Aliens has been far too coloured by extreme fetish art/fiction
>Implying that isn't more true to the spirit of Alien than most of the spinoffs

To be fair, aliens was always meant to be sexually unnerving.
Pic related, facehugger undersides were meant to be reminiscent of a vag.

And the xenomorph is basically a walking attack penis. The theme of the unwanted pregnancy literally tearing the parent apart, the ideas of motherhood brought up in Aliens and in Alien 3, the fact that the xenomorph takes on some aspects of its host like a child does with its parents, the list goes on and on. Like, rape is something you just can not divorce the Alien franchise from. It's an integral theme to the whole thing.

Involve other aliens

This. But it would have been great.

You're forgetting the facehuggers deepthroating their hosts, and this fucking thing, honestly Alien Resurrection was a goldmine of "Jesus what the fuck is that and why do I have a boner" moments.

My problem isn't the original unnerving sexual aspect, it's the fact I can't see it as unnerving because it's been shaded with my own extreme sexual predilections. The irony that watching Aliens at a young age may be one of the sources of those fetishes isn't really lost on me though.

Well, look on the bright side, at least your fetish came from something that has a definite sexual undercurrent, rather than, like, jacking it to ponies, or cars, or tiles or something. At least I hope not, if so I'm so very sorry

Only take into consideration Alien and Aliens and maybe general Giger art. Do not consider dumb bullshit from Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant and or whatever hack shit movies are going to come out after Prometheus, comics, novels, video games, et cetera.

Offer little to no explanation to the origins of the aliens or how they function, act, and think instead of piling on information and ruining their enigmatic monster nature like most people with the licensing to do so have. Attempt to combat how familiar your players may be with them by adding as much spookyness to your narration and physical descriptions as possible.

Use a system with very high lethality and think hard about how many sessions you want the game to go on for and plan accordingly, so it doesn't look like you have to pull something out of your ass every time the game might be close to ending.

Tut tut

Honestly, yeah, that's probably how I'd end up running it. As much I do like some of the dumber aspects of the later Alien stuff, it's the first two movies that are classic, and for good fucking reason.

I feel like an Alien game would work best as only a few sessions, maybe 2 or 3. It doesn't lend itself to a longform campaign, because you have a definite cap on how many things the party could end up fighting. And I mean, once you've killed a Queen, that's it, game over man, game over, you can't go any higher than that.

Ooh, actually, one fun thing you could do is have one player secretly be an android and a company plant like Ash in the first movie, just to really throw everyone off. You would need a really trustworthy player for that, but by god it would be awesome if pulled off correctly.

sauce on image?

Jesus Christ! I'd be able to fap to this if not for the gore.

InvictusVoxFini. He disappeared a few years ago, but he still has accounts floating around a few places. He's PregKnightOne on DA, InvictusVoxFini on HF, and that specific image I pulled from a ehentai gallery. e-hentai.org/g/464963/0ac6d50024/

He also did a lot of writing that was also actually pretty good. That can also be found scattered around now.

Theres always this PDF someone made.

please tell me those images are from a real show.

Less inflation and gore, more cocoon.

Sadly it was the show that never was.
lostmediaarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Operation:_Aliens_(Unaired_1992_Cartoon_Pilot)

It's not inflation, it's pregnancy you mong. It's also the only good thing to come out of the second AVP movie.

When you think about it, the 'weird' Aliens material is the cute SFW stuff.

>if not for the gore
Off my board, fucking normie.
Srsly, tho: any scifi rpg should work - use what you are familiar with seems to be the best bet. I've thrown preds and aliens at players in virtually EVERY game i've ever played (yes: that includes becmi dnd). Once your players realize what they're fighting, they'll get excited no matter what game yer playing.

Honestly, I think the black goo shit from Prometheus is kind of a gold mine. It lets you make new monsters similar to, but exactly identical to, the original aliens. So you can evoke the same kind of feelings and nostalgia, but also mix it up and keep people guessing. That's what they're doing in the new Alien movie and it looks pretty interesting.