>on the way to the south entrance our ranger spots a secret entrance
>entrance has two routes
>one goes down and one requires the party to scale a crumbling wall
>stealth party manages to all get really high rolls and climb the wall
>there’s a door
>we say fuck it and smash the door down
>all of the bosses are having a meeting
>I run off and leave my party so I can call for the other party
>we all make it up the wall again and two that stayed behind take very little damage
>we restrain the bosses
>kidnap one of them
>find the hostage without alerting any of the guards
>leave the rest of the bosses tied up
>escape killing no one
>DM was shaking his head the whole time and was visibly upset with the way we dealt with the situation
>says that the wall was a DC 18 but none of us managed to fail it.
>says that he wanted the fort to be at the very least two sessions

he's likely going to punish us by having them chase us

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1ZfbUlcM64I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You didn't ruin anything. You just played the game.
Beating probability once in a while is also part of the fun

This. If your GM is upset because you outplayed him, remind him that he's not there to play against you.

As a GM, I have long since given up trying to actually plan anything. I have an end goal, a start position, and then let the players get to that end point however they can, filling in stuff along the way with improv and pretend that was my idea the whole time.

>banking on a SINGLE obstacle to railroad players into a two-session campaign

How new is this guy to DMing?

This is how all tabletop RPGs should be played. Scripted adventures are for novices and video games.

Don't get too cocky, you didn't destroy shit. Your GM had it coming for giving you an option to finish the fort quickly.

If your DM did not want you to have the ability to beat the dungeon by climbing a wall with a high DC, when he should not have put the wall there in the first place.

You should give your DM the advicce from this thread, that he has to rethink how he plans the game. Rather than having than betting on the party going the exact thing that he wants and then designing the ingame environment with choices A, B, C and D at 80, 10, 5 and 5 percent probabilities of yielding in player succes, he should remove the "hard" shortcuts, by having A, B, C and D be more equal in probability.

GMs can get salty when things don't go along how they planned, but learning to avoid it happening is part of becoming a good GM so you didn't do anything wrong.

Different GMs have different styles so people might disagree with me here, if I had been the GM, I'd have argued that the smashing of the door and interrupting the meeting would have alerted some guards and have you run into some on the way out, who while always few enough to defeat would be slowly be reinforced as more arrived and thus slow you down on your way out, and/or have you take a detour. Though this is easy to say with limited information.

Either way, don't think you did any wrong. This is part of your GM's learning process.

>>we restrain the bosses
>>kidnap one of them
If your GM was so stupid to not make each boss a murdermachine, he had what was coming to him.

the bosses were basicly a tiny bit stronger than each of us and it was an even fight. he got unlucky with the savings throws and we basicly beat them while they were restrained until we thought whats the point we're only trying our luck here may as well just get out of here and take one with us.

in a story telling prospective you can say we got the jump on them.

honestly I'm guessing he likes having the chance of us doing things quickly but still hates the fact that he wrote a bunch of shit inside the castle for us to see and we don't even bother with any of it because we all got lucky climbing a 20ft wall that would have crumbled if one of us failed climbing it.

>Playing Only War
>Leading a group of PDF to recapture a noble's mansion that had been captured by Tau
>There are side entrances through the walls
>Rile the PDF up for a big charge as a diversion while we hit them on the side with a speech on THE EMPRAH and killing xenos
>drift a little bit into blood and skulls in the process of getting hyped
>End up hyping up ourselves while whipping the crowd into a frenzy and charging head on
>DM had an ambush planned for the side entrance but didn't having anything prepared for a frontal assault
>Bull our way past their weak front line cause the DM was afraid of erring on the side of too hard in the hastily prepared fight

>mfw GM starts to overtly throw shit counters at our party because his carefully laid out plans are being blown to smithereens

In a sense it's flattering, but come the fuck on. At that point that you're just broadcasting what a sore loser you are.

Okay OP, you want some stories? I got a couple/few, I'll start with the shorter ones and write up the longer one afterward.

>Playing D&D Basic, having a good time being the Human Fighter (CN) in a largely stereotypical group with:
>Human Ranger (CN)
>Human Cleric (LN)
>Halfling Rogue (CN)
>Half-Orc Fighter (CN)
>Human Wizard (CE)
>Be the DICKSQUAD
>Halfling and Half-Orc (women) are kidnapped by creepy dwarves
>Ranger, Wizard, Cleric, and I make after them, chasing them a decent while, lose some shit along the way, have to deal with animals in forests
>By this point, the wizard has got me leaning toward his alignment because so far it's the most well-paying
>Arrive at a monastery, where the Half-Orc and the Halfling are just having a good time in a Spa
>Wizard and I are pissed, decide to make the trip worth it
>Ranger joins in
>Cleric can't beat us so he backs down
>Clear out monastery full of non-combatant monks without using a weapon
>Rest of campaign end up chased down by paladins, who we beat the shit out of every time
That was a lot of fun, and he expected us to just get a quest there or something

>The Snowman Incident (Different DM, mostly same characters)
>Christmas time, time for a fun mini-dungeon to save Santa from Communist Elves, how original
>We descend into the depths of the cave. It has decent puzzles, nothing too hard.
>We get to the boss guarding santa, and it's a giant snowman
>He demands we have a battle to the death via snowballs
>Nobody has any fire-related items that won't just be put out, and the wizard isn't there, so no fireballs
>While we were making a plan, and while the boss was monologuing, the Cleric walks up to him
>Cleric bought salt at the beginning of the campaign because he didn't like having leftover gold from creation
>Cleric pours salt onto snowman, who keeps repeating "You cheated!" as he dies
>We continue onward to save Santa
>Finish the session earlier than expected, DM looks exhausted

Moving on from that, there was another time that the DM got shit over on a bossfight
>Playing Pathfinder (Jade Regent, END ME)
>Party of 4
>Alchemist/Druid Tiefling (Me)
>Catfolk Rogue
>Elf Ranger
>Dwarf Barbarian (to replace the Aasimar Paladin we had going into Ravenscraeg Fortress- a cliffside fort)
>Dwarf and I head to the front, cat and elf decide to stealth up top
>They get into a civil conversation with a bird who could take a level in druid (I bitched at the DM for that, considering as that shit existed means I should be able to pull something similar)
>Dwarf and I are busting down the front door and screaming
>We get inside, around ten mercenaries are standing guard, watching us
>3 Ninjas arrive and try to kill us- dog companion trips one and I finish him off
>Dwarf, minmaxed to shit, insta-kills the other two with the "more than half hp fortitude or die" roll
>Mercenaries are freaked until a monk shows up
>Monk does some flashy bullshit, starts running at us
>Monk uses his one (and only) acrobatics roll for that turn to jump over the fire pit as he came at us, so the dwarf got an attack of opportunity
>Dwarf crits, does more than half the monk's health, insta-kills him too
>One of the bosses of the area was turned into a crumpled heap of man-meat with a single swing, and thus scared off the mercenaries
>Awakening the real boss, a werebear with a very big ax who one-hit our paladin last time we were here.
>Ninjas had a blowgun and a vial of poison (sedative) on him, I take it and prep some darts, then put it all away
>We stand on outside of door, and wait for him to come through, holding our weapons so that we might knock him off the cliff
>He has the same plan, but on the inside of the door
>After a bit he just goes away, and finds the cat and elf
>They run back down to us- who are now inside- bringing the bear with them
>I get the blowgun back out (I'm a bastard, I went for the best possible dex modifiers I could get)

>Bear is distracted from me and I have a massive to-hit bonus with a shitty blowgun
>Pump four darts into its side, wait for it to lose its fortitude roll
>After a lucky fumble and getting the shaken modifier (our dm wasn't going to have it happen until I asked if that status altered its fortitude any, and looked fucking sad when he realized it failed) the bear fell the fuck to sleep
>The bear is asleep
>We strip him
>We put his things off to the side
>We cover him in lantern oil
>We light him up
>We toss him off the side, off the cliff
>Since he was asleep he didn't get to roll to nullify any damage from the 100+ foot fall
>"user, you level up."
>Freely explore after that. Any major enemies use fire damage weapons, which do jack and shit to me
>Even 1v1 another miniboss because she did shit damage, and couldn't escape splash weaponry
So that's why I now try to have poison on me at all times in that campaign.
That's my first caster/non-martial class character, I think it went well

I think I have one more, but it's really short.

I dont get it.. i love it when my players can outsmart or otherwise play around my setup. Too bad they rarely do it and mostly just "i attack x "

>Group can't meet because "Oh shit, life happens"
>Friend running D&D Basic game invites me to play in his group for a session to help a party short on able bodies due to "Oh shit, life happens"
>I make a basic Skeleton Fighter (House Rule: come up with whatever you want, but I will enact some major minuses if it's too OP otherwise)
>Nothing special, just has good strength and doesn't need to breath, eat, or sleep
>Party of: Dwarf Fighter, Half-elf Cleric, Ape Wizard (man, don't ask), and me, SKELETON FIGHTER
>Descend into the depths of a dungeon, get into a few scuffles and come out fine
>I have 9 HP Max
>We keep going deeper and deeper in
>We get to a miniboss meant for a full party of level 2-3 characters
>Two level 2s and two level 1s
>It's a shambling mass of stitched together flesh and gross shit
>It screeches and paralyzes the ape, causing two others to run away
>"What do you do, user?"
>"I BACK DOWN FROM NOTHING, MEATBAG"
>Run down the hall at it, somehow it doesn't paralyze me
>Instead of using a sword, like I should have, I decide this was a decent place to have the character give the others time to survive, self sacrifice yadda yadda, I go at it with my hands, suplex city bitch
>It can't hit me, keeps rolling shit
>Doing d4s of damage with each suplex (somehow)
>Still can't hit me
>It's soon on its more or less last legs
>Tries to acid-vomit me
>Hits for once, does 8 damage
>Still got one left
>Scream "I'M STILL ALIVE, FUCKER" in the shitty skeletor impression I've been using to talk as this character
>Kill it with two more suplexes
>Character is dubbed "The Grappler" by the group
>He's the only one that got the exp
>Never played him again
>Killed a miniboss meant to extend the session in one encounter
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZfbUlcM64I

>Playing Call of Cthulhu
>On cruise ship in the 90's
>My character is old WWII Navy vet
>Meet an elderly German doctor on the boat
>one of the crewmen dies in the engine room with strange unexplainable wounds
>Go to the Nazi and accuse him of being a Nazi and the culprit, and also a Nazi
>Wild accusation, no evidence
>Nazi scientist splutters and professes innocence and ties himself to the scene of the crime in the process of denying
>Bad guy spends whole adventure in handcuffs under armed guard.

Can't he reuse the castle stuff in a future encounter?

>DM introduces new Big Bad for the next arc of the campaign
>Innawoods doing something else
>A wild BBEG appears
>Dramatically shoots to unconsciousness one of our team members.
>Another runs off with the body to get somewhere safe to pick him back up
>As a note, the first time we encountered this guy he was specifically established to be extremely powerful andnot someone to fuck with.
>So naturally, myself and another player decide we're gonna rush him
>GM has this bad habit of deciding how encounters are going to end before they start
>Clearly wanted us to run from this one
>Clearly also doesn't want to kill off two PCs
>As if by magic the BBEG starts taking huge combat penalties.
>Kick his ass
And that's how I learned the only way to truly succeed in that campaign is to relentlessly attack all of the things because the safety net the GM has installed in his mind will always prevent player character death.

>Playin pathfinder
>Gm is a wing it kinda guy when it comes to alot of things
>Not by any means bad its actually made some pretty funny and cool moments
>Hes also good at coming up with history and lore on the spot
>We're about lvl 6 at this point and are quite deep in some shit
>Two kingdoms at war have to join forces to fight a lich bringing an ancient dragon back to life.
>Shits goin down and this dragon is coming back to life and we gotta get ready for a huge ass war
>Group is democracy and made up of
>Me
>One first time play
>One second game ever and the previous was just a one shot dungeon crawl
>Two experience players
>New players afraid of death decide lol lets just leave the country
>End up one of the experienced players is RPing a slightly cowardly bard and he agrees as well
>We fucking get on a boat and leave the continent.
>We land and find pretty much untamed lands lots of tribes and something about a futuristic race fucking shit up with muskets
>Get a map from nearest town
>Group votes to leave again as they dont wanna face guns
>GmFW
I tried to convince them to go back to either continent but so far its just been sea travel and my poor GM trying to figure out what we find next.

>decide to attack dwarven guard tower by ziplining in through the window while our allied cannon barrage distracts them
>plan is to take out that guard section and replace them to infiltrate the palace
>catch guard by surprise
>start fight
>Halfling Cleric hobby artificer skillmonkey decides to launch a grenade down the corridor
>while infiltrating

The rest of the session proceeded to be one single clusterfuck fight until we overwhelmed the remaining guards positioned in the tower and the reinforcements, which were about 3 times the number of guards originally in there, with our own reinforcements from outside coming in.

Oh boy.

The best derail we ever did was in Only War. We were a light infantry regiment making landfall on a world under tyranid attack. I was a glorious priest and my comrades were a storm trooper, a tech priest, and a sniper.

First he sends waves of nids at us to churn through. He tries to make us lose heart and flee when he sends a Nid Warrior to fuck us up but I inspire the men and prime a krak grenade. Called shot melee attack: mouth. I lost my arm. It lost its head.

The major derail came when command told us to come reinforce them in the MOST fucked part of the planet. Instead, with all our COs dead, the storm trooper was the highest ranking member of the platoon. We hijacked a flight of Valkyries and flew to the polar ice cap to "wait this whole thing out."

We subsided for weeks during a Nid invasion by fishing with bear traps on ropes. It eventually became the imperial rally point. When the fleet finally arrived, our tech priest vacuum rated our valks and our storm troopers gear and we flew up to the stars.

The storm trooper had to board the flotilla of our ruined carrier ship to send a distress beacon to the fleet, and he was the only one that was vacuum rated so he had to go alone as the party watched via helmet cam. He had to fight cannibals and feral tribes that rose up after the ship was smashed and make his way to the bridge. It was pretty intense.

We managed to basically circumnavigate whatever rails he had us fixed upon.

Sounds like you guys did exactly what your GM wanted you to, and if he played it up so you guys could feel like badasses.

How do you manage to counteract one cancer with another?

The DM is there to challenge you. He plays against you - but always within reason, because obviously he could kill you in a second if that was his goal. Great DMs strike that perfect balance where he constantly challenges the table but fairly, even if it means exploiting his PC's weak points. That's how you improve as a player.

But a decent DM also never plans out whole encounters like OP's faggot. He's referee of the system, not the writer of the story. You design the opportunities for interesting and creative situations that the player's are the catalyst of - he should be proud of his players for outthinking him and his gay railroad.

You each a sacred and solemn duty to go Old Man Henderson on every shitty nuschool DM you run into. Crash their game with no survivors.

>D&D Basic
>race-and-class
>half-orc
>double-axis alignment
what the fuck

> "Sorry for derailing your plot." - says the player with a smug face.
You didn't derail shit. In fact, you've been so predictable so far, I didn't need to improvise once.

Ow the edge.

We didn't ruin the campaign by any means, but our party had two standing rules
>If we meet an enemy that could potentially become a returning antagonist, we kill that fucker dead
>If a villain starts monologuing, attack immediately
This wasn't really out of any disrespect for our GM, we loved the campaign, but it was a high-lethality system and we'd learned by now that it didn't pay to let enemies escape, lest they return stronger than before, and more than once we'd survived encounters only because we'd attacked the villain mid-sentence while his men were still preparing the ambush. In one instance we walked into a trap set by a smug mercenary leader, and only escaped because while he was mocking our admittedly piss-poor attempt to infiltrate his fortress we snuck in disguised as servants, but only one of us spoke the local dialect I chucked a bottle of wine at his head and we jumped off a balcony because the assassins hadn't finished getting in position.

>DM runs Mythic Pathfinder
>Tells me to play fighter
>Wants me to play custom race or orc
>Pic orc
>Full Plate, Tower Shield, Bastard Sword
>AC is titanic
>Mythic abilities largely play off of my AC
>Age 178 - Immortal due to mythic perk/trait
>Have age bonuses from being old to my mental stats
>Neutral
>DM ok's the character
>Begin play
>Act like an old veteran
>Fighting is dirty and quick
>Relaxing and avoiding unecessary work
>No enemy survivors unless they reasonably seem redeemable
>No enemy successfully hits except on crits
>Crits get negated by my Shield
>Sword is a Legendary Mythic item
>Procede to slow march and kill across the field in every fight
>Other party members equally OP
>Hex Magus puts everbody to sleep, no exceptions
>Wiz summons armies of elementals
>Dwarf Barb is some regenerating hyper lethal abomination
>We can't be stopped
>Every encounter gets easier
>DM doesn't know how to challenge us
>Tries his best
>Wouldn't listen when we pointed out major flaws in our defences that he could reasonably attack
>Drops the campaign
>Another group member starts their own specifically not mythic game

Listen man, it was confusing and I learned not to question it.

I do this a lot.

>Top of a tall tower with open sides and no safety rails
>Invincible badass knight with huge defensive bonuses and little mobility
>Party Bard (who has been very uninvolved in the game thus far) has Thunder Wave

"Oh shit, you have Thunder Wave?" *fake look of surprise*

He got to "punk" my boss and feel like a badass. The party gets to feel like their big shits for killing this high-ranking fucker at level 2. I get to fast-forward the game to the interesting bits. Win, win, win.

Maybe, maybe not.

I do what he did now and then when the players figure out the crafty way to win or just fight really well. I occasionally put on my best acting and pretend to be a bit upset or bummed 'I thought for sure that was going to really smack you guys down' or 'I thought for sure it would take you guys forever to get past that or you would just fail'. In reality, I'm smiling inside.

Sure, I give them the direct 'good job' and 'high five' now and then. But the reality is that now and then there is a feeling on the part of players (but should never be on the part of the DM) that it is a DM vs Player game - at least occasionally. Acting like a mildly spoiled loser on rare occasions gets them in the feeling that they really defeated me.

Look, your DM put that stuff there and allowed the monsters to react the way they did for a reason. Your victory wasn't an accident, it was a hoped for outcome.

Its when my players act fucking retarded that my games get derailed, not when they're clever.

If they chase you, that's not punishment.
That's what a desperate foe would do after being outmanoeuvred.
Track you, pursue and attempt to wear down with fatigue.
It's not what was planned, but you've got a challenge of a different kind now.
If you already made it home, then they may be steaming mad enough for revenge.
Hopefully your dm can think on his toes and continue the adventure.

This.
So much of this.

Cleverness you can react to.

Befuddling stupidity is a whole different problem

why do most players think that a reasonable reaction from a foe is "punishment"?

>playing 5e
>DM is the puzzle type
>party stumbles upon a house with an odd door
>obvious puzzle
>while most of the party is discussing the monk decides that he will just climb the house and enter through the chimney
>succeeds and ties a rope so everyone else can too

Not him, but occasionally we'll piss off our DM somehow, and what was once 2 or 3 guys we escaped or left behind somehow turns into a small army that we are then forced to move around, and one time burned down the local town. It was blatantly obvious he was just shitting on us

>Be cleric
>Distressed over resurrection shenanigans that imply my goddess is either dead or not able to help me for some reason
>Party heads into a town filled with churches
>Like every building is filled with clergy
>Go to customary holy tavern with party
>Hang out at hearth contemplating life
>Party leaves to check out other buildings
>They find a church that appears to be dedicated to my goddess specifically
>Kid churchgoers claim that the Bible fell from the sky and told them to kill nonhumans
>Catch up to party right after Kenku monk grabs their book
>Grab it from him
>Tfw religion I wasn't sure I believed in anymore is being shoved in my face
>Interpret the book as a mockery, fly into fit of rage
>Toss book at front of church, proceed to light oil-filled lantern and burn it all down
>Turns out there was a combat with a serious bad guy planned to take place in the church
>Avoided entering a brawl with no spell slots left for healing and everyone at medium-low health
>Tfw no XP

And now apparently my goddess does exist but is being intercepted by something. And I desecrated a holy book and burnt down one of her tenples.

Not the best session for me, I'll tell ya what.

>Walk up to new chapel
>"Have I heard the good news? No? Better tell me the good news then!
>Hear the good news
>Convert
Always works.

To be fair what elderly German person in fiction isn't at lest a former Nazi? The only alternative is Holocaust survivor.

Should have given him a well-rehearsed fake accent and backstory.

>party consists of a Rogue and a Barbarian
>both good roleplayers, neither is kill-crazy
>usually
>trying to sneak into a city, and then a fortress in order to steal a hell-artifact from some hero-types because a cult is paying them to
>totes legit senpai, I swear
>Get to first roadblock
>short wooden wall flanking gate across stone bridge over a river, crossbows and pikemen checking unsavory types
>PCs are very unsavory
>completely intended as a couple of checks and/or good banter before moving on
>Rogue completely spaghetti's, drops it so hard he practically announces that he's a Bad Guy trying to get up to Shady Business
>Guards are a mercenary company, competent and professional, so they tell the two to fuck off
>one last Charisma check gets the guards to at least send a runner to ask the Mayor about all this, hour or two at most
>Rogue keeps pushing his luck, despite Barbarian signing to him to shut the fuck up, both In and OOC
>Rogue gets fed up, order the Barbarian and their small escort of bandit-guards to attack the fortified, highly competent, well entrenched enemy
>Party surprisingly does well, despite a wizard Stone-Shaping the bridge into the water and firebombing all their backup into ash
>Everybody dead except wizard, who teleports out when Barbarian lets him live (Wizard asked for parley, then readied action to port outta there if he was attacked)
>Rogue attacks him
>jig is fucking up at this point, Barbarian sends surviving allies home while Rogue starts trying to make it look like a monster attacked
>Wizard eventually comes around with about 30 heavy horse archers and trample the Rogue to death as he tries to bullshit them one more time

Barbarian is alive, and about to be put to work for the town as punishment. They realized he was following orders, and his show of mercy to the Wizard bought enough goodwill to avoid instant-execution. But the whole questline is dead in the water now.

Recently I started a campaign for Rise of Tiamat, our first town was being attacked by cultists, I split off on my own while my group jerked off the Mayor/leader. I found some cultists that were about to fight a city guard, so I attacked the guard first. They watched and I was about to ally with them, but then a group member comes up and shoots an arrow. I cri

>D&D campaign, first with my group, but a DM who's been doing it for YEARS.
>Has a massive world of established characters he uses, get advice from other friends who've played with him.
>Get warned not to fuck with some of his characters.
>Mid campaign we end up in the castle of a beautiful Drow sorceress, basically his waifu. She offers our characters a vast sum of money in return for working for her. DM obviously intending for her to be our patron, she details this extensive story we're meant to go on for her.
>Decide to fuck with her.
>Ranger attacks mid sentence, called shot on the obviously magic broach that clasps her gown.
>Critical hit. Shoots off the buckle, the bitch is now completely nude, and has lost her artifact of protection.
>We pile on her, beat the crap out of her (druid gets disintegrated, but there are always casualties in war)
>Strap the chick stark naked and hog tied to a horse, ride her back into town.

TL;DR We strip, beat and humiliate the DMs waifu character of over a decade.

what the fuck

Seemed pretty explanatory to me

Not him, but yeah, what the actual fuck?

What's the problem? Battling Drow sorceresses are what plenty of campaigns are about.

I never got why some GMs feel the need to introduce the BBEG at the start of the campaign by having them mess with the PCs. It doesn't make them look more dangerous or finally beating him feel better, it's just plain nonsensical. Why would someone powerful meddle with some level 1 nobodies? They have better things to do.

Imagine how little it would have made sense if in Star Wars uncle Owen was killed personally by Darth Vader, and then he had gone out of his way to taunt Luke for being so puny without him even knowing who he is. It's just bad writing.

I've introduced villains in many ways. But usually never obviously as the BBEG. Especially if there's no beef between them and the heroes yet.

One time the big bad guy was a visiting foreign lord, who the players had to protect as guards at a banquet. Exchanged some dialogue with him. One spilled an item of food at the foot of his outfit, and he gave them a stare that would cut glass, then just smiled and laughed it off. He wouldn't turn into a villain too them for sometime.

Another was a naked Elven woman in a bathhouse, that they ran through when escaping a minor bad guy. This Elven beauty holds them still with paralyzing magic, walked to each of them and wouldn't let them go until they'd each given her an apology for the rude interruption of her relaxation. She wouldn't come back till ages later, and when introduced again, I could add in the line "Perhaps you don't recognize me with my clothes on?"

Try not to cut yourself.

And I though I was doing it wrong.

I prepare the bare minimum and improv the rest, which on more than one occassion has been my doom.

Hint: when fake-storytelling, try to make the EVIL DM at least believable.

If he has a NPC-waifu he's not gonna let you strip her and beat her.

Not me, but I know one guy who does everything to steer stories towards the most violent and depressing conclusions before. He literally exists to make the world a darker and more awful place.

Like, I've seen him play casually racist (to fantasy races, not actual racism) knights, tremendously xenophobic heretics and other strongly-characterized but shitheeled characters.

I'm talking about a "No, we should take the Princess back to be forced into her loveless marriage. It's for the good of the land." kind of argument. Or "No, we have to kill all the orcs, even the young ones. They're all evil. Also, their women and children should be driven out and left to starve." Or "I agree with the mob, that woman is a witch. Let her burn."

It makes me feel like shit sometimes.

>a decent DM also never plans out whole encounters like OP's faggot. He's referee of the system, not the writer of the story. You design the opportunities for interesting and creative situations that the player's are the catalyst of

this, so much this

GMs should never prepare anything.

>Tells them not to mess with NPC's
>No protection on his NPC's
>No consequences for attacking his Waifu
I think you're on to something user.

Your GM is a douche. I reward my players for being clever and lucky enough to outsmart me.

Yeah but usually they at least do something that justifies getting beaten. If the worst this drow sorceress did was offer them money, rather than subjugate them as slaves or feed them to a pet Drider, then the PC's are the ones who are entirely in the wrong.

>the PC's are the ones who are entirely in the wrong.
So?

Doesn't justify the DM railroading especially not with self-inserts and waifu shit.

How'd he react?

OoC bullshit should be resolved OoC.
>railroading
Also, the strong majority of people who use this term are usually the type who will whine for hours about not being able to do anything, yet will stare at a wall if you throw them into a sandbox game where they can literally do anything and go anywhere.

From the way the story portrayed it, the Drow seemed no worse than a Ms. Johnson from Shadow Run and they also could've just, yknow...refused if they didn't want to work for the drow or collect the money.

>pretend that was my idea the whole time

This is by far the most important step. Convince your players that you are a good writer and they will do all the work for you.

>OoC bullshit should be resolved OoC.
The fuck are you talking about? The GM was being a faggot, it's only natural the players are test him. And in any case, if the GM wasn't being a railroading faggot, he would've have seen any problem with the PC's attacking the drow - who, FYI, are fucking evil; though them finding her droning on annoying and pretentious is reason enough. The only reason it was "wrong" was because he had clearly worked so hard to make her this big back story important insert. You should keep your OoC bullshit OoC, insecurities and egotistic self-indulgence as DM included.

That's a lot of assumptions based on just a few lines of greentext mate.

For one, if the Drow sorceress was evil then she wouldn't have given the PCs a reward for their services, let alone a choice. She would've had them captured, thrown into a hole, collared, and enslaved for the rest of their days while occasionally dragging one of them away to either be tortured, raped, fed to a giant spider, or a combination of the three, not necessarily in that order.

The book does mention that racial alignments are only based off the general population, not on an individual member of that race. It is possible to find non-evil Drow who are willing to work with surface dwellers.

Not to mention, if the GM was really going to railroad the PCs into this patron situation then he wouldn't have a) given them a choice, b) allowed them to defeat the sorceress, and c) allowed the called shot to actually work.

The only ones who were in the wrong were the PCs who humiliated an NPC just cause.

>Not to mention, if the GM was really going to railroad the PCs into this patron situation then he wouldn't have a) given them a choice, b) allowed them to defeat the sorceress, and c) allowed the called shot to actually work.
Well then if the GM actually wasn't upset his big important character for his big important story was undermined and it actually wasn't so big and important at all, then nobody was wrong here.

PC's can do what they want. They saw a Drow, they took the opportunity to humiliate her. Would it appease you if the ranger had written in his backstory that he's deeply insecure about wealthy drows after one raped his papa? You're trying to defend a poor GM having his poor work ruined by making it about players being 'right' or 'wrong'. That wasn't relevant to the post or thread and so there isn't nearly enough detail to decide, and it wouldn't change its relevance to the topic of the thread regardless.

>Walk into a castle
>Either more of a manor which means incredibly wealthy and influential or a fort which means crawling with armed allies and on edge for attackers/spies
>Either way many allies and resources
>Players grab the lord and walk away scott-free
It would be shit DMing for there not to be dire consequences.

I assume they wouldn't have done it if it wasn't clear (as far as they could tell) there were no direct obstacles.

Also
>non-evil Drow
>non-evil Drow waifu insert
DM deserves everything he gets

Look at it like this right.

A member of royalty summons a band of mercenaries to perform jobs for them for payment. Mercenaries show up and immediately decides to attack, strip, and humiliate royalty even though they were offering them a job.

There's no way that someone could do this and be justified in their actions and they're lucky the DM didn't take that as an opportunity to BTFO rather than only killing one party member.

Of course, that's not to say that they DM won't set up more bullshit to hunt them down since they were foolish enough to not only kidnap and humiliate royalty, but also take them to town where there'd be plenty of witnesses.

Why exactly?

Nigger, it's royalty offering large sums of money, seemingly entirely unprotected by any real guards or with her own powers except one obvious magical clasp. The ranger made a bet and won big, I'm sure they looted the shit out of her place. Humiliating the evil drow bitch was just icing on the cake, but we can safely guess they had strong motivations. They're a band of ruthless mercenaries, remember?

The OP didn't state any of those details though, because this is about the shit DM you're weakly trying to defend by making it about the PCs.

>the DM didn't take that as an opportunity to BTFO rather than only killing one party member.
Christ, no wonder you're defending him so hard, you're obviously cut from the same cancer. Stop fudging dice, faggot.

Because they're fucking drow. Making them not-evil, or even normalizing them as not-fucking-weird, is a more twisted, tear wrenching degeneration of the lore than that dragon-born cancer you kids love so much.

If the DM put a chimney there that's not outsmarting the DM.

>evil
You keep using that word when nothing about the Drow's actions necessarily paints her as evil. If anything, the Drow would count as stupid-good since she trusted the party enough not to have guards.
>They're a band of ruthless mercenaries, remember?
Ruthless!=chaotic stupid. If they were smart, they would've worked with the drow, gained some influence within her circle, and then stage a coup once they had gained her trust.
>Christ, no wonder you're defending him so hard, you're obviously cut from the same cancer. Stop fudging dice, faggot.
It would not be out of line for a sorceress who has access to disintegrate to cast something like Wave of Fatigue, Wall of Force, Teleport, Polymorph, or any number of nasty 1st-6th level spells that could easily have either allowed her to escape or murder the party.

The DM was just too merciful or inexperienced to properly BTFO the party.

Cool the autism grandpa, if people want to make non-evil drow I don't necessarily see what the big deal is. If you don't like it then you could easily just leave, rather than go out of your way to derail campaign just for your own personal enjoyment.

>You keep using that word when nothing about the Drow's actions necessarily paints her as evil
THEY'RE DROW

>The DM was just too merciful or inexperienced to properly BTFO the party.
Then the players were acting within reason and he deserves everything he gets. They knows the Gods favor them, saving them from all real danger as if they were their own babies.

Or the party can derail the campaign out of their own enjoyment. Isn't FUN supposed to be the holy altar on which you new school fags sacrifice anything and everything?

>THEY'RE DROW
Not all drow are necessarily evil though, the majority are but not every member is automatically evil.
>Then the players were acting within reason and he deserves everything he gets. They knows the Gods favor them, saving them from all real danger as if they were their own babies.
So that gives the players the right to be dicks and purposefully derail the game? If you have a problem with the DM making things too easy, the best course of action is to talk to them out of game or leave, not to passive-aggressively tear down the campaign like an asshole just because the DM isn't reading your mind.
> Isn't FUN supposed to be the holy altar on which you new school fags sacrifice anything and everything?
The DM deserves to have just as much fun as the players though.

Shit like this is why I no longer bother playing D&D, especially 3.PF edition.

To many grogs, wimps, furries, waifufags, and THAT GUYS to really make a game with any sort of longevity and I'm honestly sick of having every other PF game I run either get derailed or degenerate into ERP.

>it's another one of those "quote every post ITT as if my half-formed thought matters" posts

"LMAO let's beat up this random NPC who wants to give us a quest... OH and let's strip her and humiliate her!"

Literally the worst tier of players. I'd rather not DM than run a game for an entire party of people like that.

I failed to supply info there, sorry, the money she offered us was to kill a character we'd previously been working for, an old lord of the local town. So the money was for a contract kill essentially, an evil act for a group of good characters, but I believe the DM wrongly assumed we'd accept the threats of this character instead of stick to morality.

Well we bring her back to camp, and have her locked away in the dungeons. As soon as she's out of our characters sight, however, she formulates an escape plan, and we have to defend the castle from a series of night creature attacks that break her out and she escapes.

Original story he planned was completely ruined though, and I think he learnt not to plan ahead that far.

>playing Dungeon World
>cloak and dagger intrigue mixed with dungeon running
>recurring antagonist is a necromancer assassin
>uses magic to possess dead bodies from a thousand miles away
>employs terrorist strategies, magi-tech bombs and sniper crossbows
>killing his surrogate bodies only slows him down, no way to trace the spell
>literally nobody knows who he is, how to find him, or how to stop him
>he's specifically trying to capture my character alive but is fine with killing thousand of civilians until we give him what he wants
>eventually we (the players) get super frustrated
>we decide to pretend OOC that the party has a falling out and betrays my character
>publicly, mind you, so the assassin will learn of this
>they strip my gear, throw me in a box, and ship me to a known associate of the assassin
>a day later the box opens and the assassin greets my character through another zombie surrogate
>my character says that she's been betrayed and will totally give him whatever he wants on two conditions
>first, I meet him in person
>second, he helps me kill the rest of the party
>the GM, thinking this is all legitimate infighting, agrees since he thinks the rest of the party is being shitty to me and I deserve some vengeance
>I meet the real necromancer assassin, we talk, get to planning our attack on my party, and when he turns I quick draw a knife hidden in my boot and stab him through the heart
>the players OOC reveal this plan to the GM
>to his credit the GM rolls with it, my character escapes but now the assassin's friends want us all extremely dead
>after the campaign he admits that we would have learned of a way to beat him at the end of that story arc (3-5+ sessions away)
>GM says he's not upset with the plan, just upset that we lied to him OOC about our intentions to manipulate him into not requesting Bluff checks and the like
>he felt emotionally manipulated too
>everyone felt pretty rotten desu

Be honest with your GMs, folks

>playing WoD
>we have a flashback part, where my character, an old, now decrepit monster hunter was in his younger years and first met the other player character
>a monster my hunter had been tracking killed his family, and my character showed up in the nick of time to guard the other player
>GM planned on my character either knocking it back a bit and causing it to flee, or for it to wreck my shit too and for us to get saved by the order my character was part of, and allow that to set up an antagonist both of us would want to put down.
>see the feral monster snarling. My character draws his sword and they circle, the dance of death.
>roll retardedly high for my initiative and charge into battle against the ungodly abomination
>I'M THE STRONGEST MOTHERFUCKER IN THE WORLD BITCH.webm
>roll max damage with a greatsword on top of it hitting zero successes on defense
>cleave the fucker in half
>it spends its turn trying to regenerate, scooping up its entrails from the carpeted floor
>next turn called shot: head
>hit it
>it fucks up its save again
>decapitate it and crush its head with a steel-toed boot

Since this flashback occurred after a few sessions where we were hunting down what we thought was the monster that killed his family, we had to retcon it to where it was a monster similar to one that killed his family, and he's started to take more of a Punisher roll in hunting down any sort of creature of the night.

So far it hasn't fucked over the campaign, but was a pretty unintended and hilarious speedbump as we all three just kind of sat there for a second.

Gotta admit son, thats pretty fucking devious.

>he's likely going to punish us by having them chase us
In his defense, that makes sense inside the narrative, you all did just free someone they were keeping hostage AND they are all still alive.

If I was the DM he'd be right sometimes and wrong others to remind you of the importance of having all the evidence before deciding

>THEY'RE DROW
I bet you think all blacks are rapists too.

>he felt emotionally manipulated too
Boohoo, as if GM's aren't always tracking and manipulating (or trying to patch) the party's emotions.

You only played OOC because you knew the GM would fudge on OOC factors:
>agrees since he thinks the rest of the party is being shitty to me and I deserve some vengeance
It's perfectly clever play. I would've proud

THEY'RE FUCKING DROW. THEY'RE NOT HUMAN PEOPLE, THEY'RE WEIRD FUCKING ALIENS. A COCKROACH IS A CLOSER COMPARISON THAN A NIGGER

I hope they succeed in bringing the dragon back and he flies around attacking sailing ships

>Running Dark Sun, have the Last Dragon of Tyr attack a city because of mysterious sorcery politics gone awry
>Fire raining down, turning people into ash zombies
>Expect the characters to battle through, epic combat music is ready to go
>Over two dozen enemies between them and the city gates
>One player points to a small grate on the laminated map
>"Can't we just go through there? The city has sewers, right?"
>"Uh..."
>players escape without taking a single point of damage, forced to award them the XP for the session even though they killed nothing

I was so proud but so angry at the same time. I didn't even throw sewer monsters at them, I was that impressed.

Little bastards.

what if they dont use thunderwave and all die