/ss13/ - Second Time's A Charm Edition

Welcome to the thread for d20 station, a rules light, medium RP Space Station 13 server.

>What is Space Station 13?
It's a 2D top down atmospherics simulator with who dun it gameplay layered on top. Each crew member aboard the station has a specific job to perform, while a select few are selected to be traitors (assassin/spy/thief).

>Why is this on muh Veeky Forums?
d20 is a server made for fa/tg/uys by fa/tg/uys

>How do I play?
You'll need to download the BYOND client.
BYOND Download link: byond.com/download/
A BYOND account is HIGHLY recommended

To connect: Open BYOND, click the gear in the upper right. Click "Open Location" and paste in the IP below (Visual guide: i.imgur.com/d9D82fK.jpg).
byond://76.16.8.127:28014 OR byond://d20station.ddns.net:28014

>I'm new, and I don't know what the fuck to do. How do I swap hands?
Use OOC (backspace say" in the bottom, type OOC and hit enter, or: i.imgur.com/RodAGGZ.png), which means Out Of Character chat, and ask someone for help on how to play. People will almost always help you get a grip of the game if you're polite about it, just don't reveal too much in-round information in OOC.
There's also wikis dedicated to documenting the spaceman way of life, but they vary widely from server to server.

>What are the rules?
The rules are very relaxed and admins try to take a hands-off approach to administrating. Admins will generally only intervene if someone is explicitly playing to ruin the game. Reminder to read the rules in-game.

>What map/code do you run?
We run a heavily modified Ministation map with mostly custom code. Most jobs on Ministation are merged with similar counterparts and head roles have been re-enabled.

>When does everyone play?
The server is mostly populated with Americlaps, so peak times are usually between 7pm-3am EST

>Who are these tripfags?
Usually admins/coders for the server.

Miscellaneous links pastebin (updated): pastebin.com/5jJ6E75M

Other urls found in this thread:

d20station.ddns.net/Wiki/index.php/Main_Page
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder that we are working on rebuilding the wiki here

d20station.ddns.net/Wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Please register an account and contact me or PrPleGoo to be given edit permissions.

Anything that takes priority?

Big differences between d20 code and other codebases.

New-medical, new-genetics, d20's fire triangle, the need to eat/drink/rest, etc.

We playing today?

Might be a good idea to start with hose pages.

burn in hell, vote spammer

behead all those who vote!

So Hippie is actually going down, God bless

Got fucking banned. for voting restart after atmos exploded on a 4 day dwarf and then i appapently logged? Wtf happend to this server and wheres Nernums

Huh? Can an admin clarify on this?

i can confirm you got banned lmao

>spam vote restart on Dorf until it goes through on a technicality
>server completely empty after restart
>spammed a vote to restart and then decided after spamming votes he didn't want to play

Goddamn right you got fucking banned.

>spammed vote restart without any ooc chatter
>didnt stick around afterward to keep playing
>completely destroyed the world because he was too much of a bitch to rebuild or repair and too much of a cuck to speak up beforehand
Hm. It looks an awful lot like grief from here.

Im sorry if it looked like griefing it wasn't though kinda had to go eat as soon as I hit restart and I closed out of byond. Once again sorry. Ive been playing d20 for a while. Even when it was dead I would come on.

>spamming vote restart like a retard
your fault friend

Did it twice Im sorry.

Why do you need to push out a ban? Community is small as it is already.

I'd say you can suck a juicebox for a few days for nuking an ongoing dorf round without cause, but not more than that. We need people.

not the one who banned him but he's a bit of a moron

This is how our shitty community dies

pls dont go man that got banned

i love you;(

"a bit of a moron" well okay then that should remove 3/4th of our playerbase then

god fucking damnit why

See ya guys in 60 days I guess but whatever. have fun

Aus Fag here,
Fuck it Ill play, whats the Dorf server IP you keep talking about?

>god fucking damnit why
Veeky Forumsstationfag who comes to Veeky Forums for OSR and Worldbuilding threads here. o/
I just ducked in for a lookie-loo and that dude outright said, "I did something sketchy, I have no defense, I'll eat the ban."

Rhymanon?

WEW
The ban stays.

[18:31:14]VOTE: Restart vote started by Pouchythepirate.
[18:33:16]VOTE: Restart Vote
Restart Round: 1
Continue Playing: 3
Vote Result: Continue Playing
[18:48:47]GAME: Pouchythepirate/(Scruffy Waterson) triggered a fueltank explosion.
[18:48:47]GAME: Explosion with size (-1, 0, 2, 2) in area TEG room (126,123,1)
[18:48:47]GAME: Explosion with size (0, 1, 5, 5) in area TEG room (126,123,1)
[18:48:48]GAME: Explosion with size (-1, 0, 2, 2) in area TEG room (126,123,1)

who? Im just a new fag at ss13, Dick Dellington is the usual name

It's the same IP, they just cycle the map about every other weekend to Dorf.
Dorf mode is a spiff off of Dwarf Fortress, a game with disturbingly consistent parallels to SS13.

The idea is that everyone starts on and work together to improve an under-supplied and under-stocked station. A lot of mining, exploration, salvaging, and mob battles especially since Freeman made it his mission to turn carp into harbingers of doomsday

The rounds can last for days. They tend to crash CPUs before ending in IC loss.

IP is the same as in the OP

76.16.8.127:28014

Considering how useless I am at this game, This sounds amazing. I will be the greatest Hauler / red shirt dorf ever.

Likewise I am fully aware of dwarf fortress, it is the holy grail of games.

>Considering how useless I am at this game,
Even in normal rounds, ALWAYS ask other players to teach you.
Dorf Fort is a great opportunity to learn, b/c no antags.

You assume I want to be good at this game instead of a perpetual janitor / chaplain / Internal affairs agent. God I love me some IAA... I prepare the most glorious reports.

looks like he's already been permabanned and banned multiple times for lolsorandom plasma greif as captain he can stay banned for longer

Do try and initiate dialogue while throwing these sick bans around, though. "Buyers are liars" and all that jazz, I know, but genuine players can get burned off if everyone is treated like a career criminal from the start.

>his notes though
Yeah, from 2015.

DOWN WITH FREEMAN

I didn't throw his ban around nigger astv did
ive yet to see anyone already banned previously for epic uninspired head griff redeem themselves anywhere, if they actually want to change and learn I wouldn't have to check their ckey's notes or ban history because I wouldn't think to

playing like a normal person is not fucking hard to do

fucking home invasion in progress
should have got your ass torn to shreds, poacher shithead

>You assume I want to be good at this game
>instead of a perpetual janitor / chaplain / Internal affairs agent.
Those aren't mutually exclusive.

Being able to do things in is pinch can save your life when things go to shit.
And the more tools in your belt, the more free toys you have as an tag.
And beyond that, you can just... opt not to contribute to the station. Beyond your role, at least.

LONG LIVE FREEMAN

Honestly didnt mean to do that forgot i had the moist nugget in my hand and clicked left click intead of right click.

What a tragedy. Here's the last screenshot I took.

That box in the top left is 4 SMESs with nuke cells surrounded by double reinforced walls and shields.

S.C.R.U.B. and I built it to power the station if anything went wrong with the TEG.

Also, why did you jackasses constantly make my Medbay into a fucking disaster? Fuck.

How many people actually still play regularly? It's been forever since I played when we were down to maybe a dozen at most.

I didn't know you could make a server worse than Veeky Forums

What about Hippie?

EMERGENCY BUMP

LET'S PLAY A ROUND FUCK IT

Please, I'm lonely

foin

>going brain dead in hard suits
>going brain dead in public dorms and trying to lock down the room like a panic bunker
Assholes.

6 on by the way

this is what happens when you ban the entire userbase

Got unbanned its all good! Thanks admins

we wouldn't have to ban the 'entire userbase' if they weren't fucking braindead retarded and actually learned anything
>guy tries respawning as sec on his third life to metagriff his murderer
>zip zop zooms straight to his location
>gets caught choking him, bwoinked after he finishes hitting 'kill' on his grab
>watch him try multiple different excuses to justify the fact that he hasn't read the rules at all over the last three bans for EXACTLY THE SAME SHIT
>'i didn't want to kill him'
>'it was a prank!'
>'i bumped into him totally on accident! i didn't even know he was there'
>'i just wanted to rough him up!'
>finally resorts to what was basically
>'well i'm black and he hurt my feelings so its okay!'
wish i'd permabanned the faggot weeks ago but apparently we're supposed to believe this kind of shitter can actually be redeemed
god do i miss the actually intelligent players

Wait, does this mean that Father Relaxe is finally fucking perma'd?

Great. Now we can just get rid of his sockpuppets as we go, and we'll finally have a good server again.

relaxe hasn't been around for over a year and if you genuinely believe this sockpuppet shit you're chasing shadows
sorry about your bogeyman

>Server is deader then dead.

Did I just miss a round or has no one been on for hours?

I was playing, I'll hop back on.

a round just ended
somehow starting to gather steam again now though, 4 players in the lobby.

3 players, YOU are the reason the server is dead you non-joining fuck.

7 players are on.

I'm scared to try this game.

Firstly, it's super complex so there's going to a be a long and shaky learning phase.

But most confusingly, the rules are contradictory.

>You have a traitor who is supposed to do some bad objective, which can be straight up kill people.

>everyone else is supposed to find and kill the traitor while otherwise performing their roles.

Okay, that makes sense. I used to play a W3 mod called Parasite/Phase Killer/Metastasis/Zerg Infestation that was essentially that same premise.

But you can be banned for killing? Even if its killing the Traitor? Even if you ARE the Traitor?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

But most of the stories in these threads are roughly 50% stories about how people murdered everyone in silly ways. Does that mean killing isn't bannable?

Can someone clarify this?

Different servers, different rules.
Read the fucking rules for the server you join.

Each server is different on the ruleset. Essentially our ruleset is you can kill without getting in trouble as long as it isn't because they looked at you wrong, or don't make it a habit.

You're allowed to do anything as antag as long as you don't do it over and over and make it stale.

Basically rule of cool is our ruleset, and only people who try to grab a weapon every round and find ways to "validly" kill people is what gets a person banned, or respawn abusing which is using prior character knowledge as a new character.

>long and shaky learning phase
Don't worry, everyone is still in the learning phase.

Rule clarification:
On d20 we're rules-light, low administration. Killing people as not the traitor: iffy, but fine as long as you aren't murdering everyone for no appreciable reason. Expect a "hey wtf r u doin" from an admin if you murder people indiscriminately.
Killing people as the traitor: 100% fine, remove at your heart's content, just don't do shit like spawncamp or deliberately prolong the round (game session) to murder more people.
Killing the traitor: see "killing as not the traitor". If you have a positive ID, a lynch mob, etc: RIP the traitor or presumed traitor.

tl;dr Pick your targets unless you're the traitor (or antag to be generic).

Thank you for the clarification!

I guess reading a bunch of different server rules was what had me so confused, but the rules as you state them seem pretty sensible.

I should also clarify that the objective of the game is not to find out the traitor and "win", but it's more so to have fun and make a great story. Pic related.

Wow, that is hilarious.

Think next game I play I'm going to learn the new medical system. Is there much more to it besides what's linked in the OP? Aside from the usual stuff like cloning, med scanning and viral.

Next time we do Everyone is John in game, I'll roll with the rules that we swap everytime someone fails a roll instead of being passed out.

Yeah sorry I kind of bailed but other stuff was happening on the station and that was enough to catch my interest.

Fucking prove it. Prove that he is not the one personally responsible for ruining the server and tanking the playerbase numbers.

For fuck's sake, he even DDOSes the thing when he feels he "lost" a round.

the burden of proof is on the prosecuting party friend

>they're actually defending father relaxe
Just when I thought this server was recovering. Jesus christ.

All those times the server goes down? It's him. It always coincides with one of his sockpuppets playing, and him dying during the round, even if it's his own fault from trying to refill a lit welder or something or spacing himself while trying to dispose of the body of some innocent he killed in a fit.

post screenies

>>'well i'm black and he hurt my feelings so its okay!'
Seems familiar. Really activates your almonds, doesn't it? A certain literal nigger shitposter who wouldn't stop crying about R&D being OP and the admin team being a "Star Chamber"?

What's your relationship with Veeky Forumsstation? Do you share a codebase, or port back & forth?

d20 branched from NT code in 2014 and has heavily modified it since then.

d20 is unaffiliated with TGstation and exists because a few of us feel TGstation is no longer Veeky Forums related in any way but for two letters.

d20 is hosted by a fa/tg/guy, coded by fa/tg/guys, /k/ommandos, whatever Veeky Forums calls themselves, and more.

We also boast the addition of "Dorf mode", based on Dwarf Fortress. Players must work together to build and mine starting only with the bare necessities on a hostile asteroid laden with loot and dangerous fauna. Also carp migrations. Dear god the carp.

cu/ck/s is what you're looking for friendO.

Dorf mode sounds neat, always wanted an mp dwarf fortress and ss13 has often felt close. Isn't setting up atmos from scrap a pain tho? Electrical wiring? Ever have an ai?

>super complex

Are you retarded?

As someone who was here for the very first thread, it's bizarre that you guys are s still running.

Is it common knowledge that Freeman was considered a griefer and shitlorde supreme for the first several months he played here? The thread flame wars were savage.

Oh hey Now, how's it going ya Wales-nerd?

Finally Gideon has a pal.

The starting station is already piped and wired, but only a very basic setup. The air supply is hooked to a single air canister, power is run through a single SMES and a PAC-MAN, etc etc.

While you can't spawn in as a cyborg or AI on Dorf, players can still build them with proper research. pAI devices can also be directly inserted into cyborg chassis, mech suits, and I think AI cores if you want to go that route.

>Firstly, it's super complex so there's going to a be a long and shaky learning phase.
it's kind of like dorf fortress, where it all looks really complicated and intimidating to a new player because of all the weird little verbs and options and buttons and what the fuck is that on your HUD
but it's not hard to learn, and quickly becomes second nature.

if you can get a cigarette packet and a lighter from a vending machine and successfully have a smoke, you've more or less got the basics down.

as far as rules go, there's a rules button that shows you all of them. the biggest one is respawn abuse - people respawning with the same name and appearance, or respawning to try to get one over on the person who killed them last life. other than that, we're relatively light on all that shit.

atmos is pretty easy to set up from scratch to be honest
most of the 'atmos is complicated' stuff comes from the fact that metastation's atmos is an overdesigned, cancerous tumour that some mapper's esssentially pre-built their own atmos autism setup in. if you took out all the canister mixing shit from that you'd have something half the size
the most basic atmos recycling system is just two filters going from scrubber loop to distro loop for oxygen and nitrogen, then shooting everything else into space.

i'm actually curious to know how you've figured all this, like how do you know when he's supposed to be DDOSing, or how he's feeling at any given moment? your psychic powers may be useful to your country, my friend.
also if you don't tell us who these sockpuppets are supposed to be there is literally nothing to work off of.

I'm unfortunate enough to know Father Relaxe IRL. Can confirm that he has occasionally DDOS'd servers after he dies like a little bitch.

I've not jumped onto /d20station/ before though, I normally stick to goonstation because I find the UI slightly less incredibly infuriating.

I've got a hand-eye coordination disorder so it's actually a much bigger deal than it sounds.

do you like, watch him play or something
also are you going to actually tell us who these supposed sockpuppets are or are you going to keep dodging that question because you don't actually have an answer and are just shitposting.
man i wish you actually were psychic, that'd be rad.

Different person than the dude talking about sockpuppets, bro. I went to CEGEP with him and we used to play together on campus at lunch. It was awful.

okay, unidentified user

it was like two years ago, I have no fucking idea if he still even does it anymore. I just know he did at one point and he bragged about it. I came into the thread to see if Veeky Forums's ss13 community was any better than goon's and

went "oh neat i knew that guy", ffs

also if you jackasses are the admins no wonder your server's dying, you come off as people about as fun as a shit-covered marzipan dildo.

yes
ive redirected my autism to codework

Hippie is back in style with YOUR code as a base. End this meme.

And by
>YOUR
you mean?

I mean we rebased using modern Veeky Forums code. It's pretty neat, but half our original features still need to be ported.

Not to beat a dead horse but d20station code is NOT TGstation code and never has been.

It's like no one reads the OP and they just come in to shitpost.
What happened to "be excellent to each other"?

>come into thread
>claim x out of the blue with absolutely nothing to back it up
>this is pointed out to you
>you guys are jackasses! why won't you believe me at face value?
sorry bud, no dice

so not actually our code
didn't we already mention way up in the thread that we were using a variant of ntcode and that Veeky Forumsstation weren't affiliated with us?

Heyo, fellow.

Been playing on Veeky Forumsstation for 5 1/2 years, as it turns out. Figured I'd look at d20, hoping the feature shock doesn't drive me mad.

>if you can get a cigarette packet and a lighter from a vending machine and successfully have a smoke, you've more or less got the basics down.
The last time I tried that, I set maint on fire.