Can a paladin worship the Great Void?

Can a paladin worship the Great Void?

No, because the Great Void doesn't exist.

>the Great Void doesn't exist.

Well, precisely.

What the chap was trying to tell you is that your problem is ontological in nature.

A void is definitively an absence of a thing, and what's the point in worshipping something that isn't?

Actually, never mind, I just remembered Zen Buddhism was a thing, carry on.

Good is merely the absence of Evil, but Paladins can be devoted to Good.

Fuck it, go be nihilist paladin trying to make the world a little nicer before it's eventual and unavoidable entropic decay

Post more pictures of Void.

>the Great Void doesn't exist.
Neither do paladins you fucking retard.

Paladins exist in the setting I'm talking about.

A Paladin can worship anything up to Donald Duck as long as it has divine powers.

Paladins don't get their powers from whatever they may or may not worship. That's Clerics you're thinking of.

>Fuck it, go be nihilist paladin trying to make the world a little nicer before it's eventual and unavoidable entropic decay
This is the best way to do this

Worked for the Doomguard.

>The Great Void cares not if you are man or woman, dwarf or elf. It takes all into its embrace.
>Unbeing is freedom from strife, toil and suffering.

Sounds good to me. Make sure you carry a big black sword.

They might not get recognized as Paladins by other cultures, but sure. I use that idea myself for my goblinoid empires. To them, they're supposed to represent fearless paragons of their morals and ideals. To everyone else, they're eerie and almost wraith-like beings.

Paladin of Nihilism. More of a grey guard tho. Pic related.

Honestly surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

I worshiped your mom's great void last night faggot

all night long

isn't that the point?

source?

But if there's nothing in this world but what we make, how can there be objective Good? The philosophical creations of mortals are inherently subjective, by virtue of our lack of omniscience. How can we be sure that we do Good, and that our "good" deeds do not in fact detriment the unobserved portions of the universe as a whole?

>inb4 existentialist Mickey

We can't. That is why Life is nothing but a travesty. No matter what we do or what we don't, we can only fail. We can at best self deluding ourself that what we are doing has a meaning, and life our pathetic life in this delusion.

There can't be objective good, so subjective good is the best you can do. Why not do good subjectively?

That's the nihilist response; the existentialist answer to nihilism is essentially Sysiphus; rebellion and passion are what fills man's heart in the face of the absurdity of the universe

You seem too stupid to live and don't seem to want to continue anyway, so why not do what you're already thinking and save humanity from your lies?

Wasn't the whole moral of Sisyphus' story that he would never actually accomplish anything, no matter how hard he tried, and that it would be no different had he never bothered, save that to waste his effort on such was his punishment from the gods for his deceptions?

I'm not sure he's a good example, especially considering how fatalist the Greeks were in general.

If I might venture a guess?

If Life is pointless, then Death is even more so. Everything that makes them frustrated and disillusioned by Life would only be amplified by dying, especially if there's an afterlife (because let's face it, most of us here would be going straight to Hell or whichever variant thereof).

Heck, for them, Time and Death are likely the REASONS life seems so pointless - because no matter how great you are, everyone who remembers you will die and eventually nothing you built will remain. Even your memory will fade into myth, and then to nothing.

>A void is definitively an absence of a thing

A void is the absence of substance, but it is not the absence of being, as voids exist on a conceptual level.

>Can a paladin worship the Great Void?

Sure: being proceeds from non-being, so the void is the true creator. The void contains and harbours all things including all life. It envelopes the planes, giving them distinction from each other, but also fills the gaps between them, connecting all things to each other.

If you think about, everyone should worship the void.

I'm talking about Camus' book about the myth not the myth itself.

Oh.

Time for some Taoist paladins then.

>worship
That's the cleric.

A Paladins power stems from devotion.
A paladin of "the great Void" would be someone without goals free and unaffected by the constraints of thought and reality.

Basically you made a Neutral alligned Paladin whose whole being is devoted to surpass their own existence.

Basically a
>Buddhist-Mage Knight
Neutral in alignment.
Can tilt towards either evil or good as long as they want it.

As for spells I think they should get stuff like Shield (cause the void is unaffected by anything), maybe clone bodies and the like.

>surpass their own existence
I would play this.

Indeed, but Camus suggested that Sisyphus' toil gave him purpose, even in it's absurdity. Eventually he would realise his task was impossible and slip into despair, but after that despair, he would reach a point of acceptance. The purpose would be to push the rock, not to get the rock up the hill.
"The struggle itself [...] is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

I could imagine a paladin who broke his oath, or a cleric who lost his faith. Succumbing to despair, they wonder what life is without inherent meaning from oaths or the gods.
But, in their wandering downwards into this pit, they find The Void. Life is an absurd pantomime in the face of oblivion, but oblivion does not resent it. To simply exist is fulfilment, to seek something to fill the Void is what causes suffering. Let go of your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty, and become wind.

And that's why Void Paladins/Clerics should get Fly

>Heck, for them, Time and Death are likely the REASONS life seems so pointless

So in that case a Nihilist Paladin/Cleric's main goal could be to remove the concept of Time and Death? Sounds like it could make a interesting campaign to be honest, are you gonna join the Paladin of Nihilism's quest to kill the Gods of Time and Death or do you oppose them?

d-do i have to feed people to it?

Depends on the setting
Depends on the mechanics
Depends on the definition of "paladin"
Depends on the definition of "Great Void"

Thanks for contributing to the discussion, smartass.

There is no objective good. A nihilist understands that what people describe as "good" is merely our perception of what we prefer, what appeals to us. Therefore a paladin of nihilism does their best to create what they perceive as good, while understanding that they are merely serving their own wishes, and that good objectively does not exist, but the wishes that they serve they subjectively view as the best.

Retarded questions beget retarded answers.

Tons of other reasonable people have already given actual answers in this thread; you're just making yourself look stupid by being a smart aleck.

>Tons of other reasonable people have already given actual answers

Answers that might be totally useless. I mean >Good is merely the absence of Evil

Is flat-out wrong in every official and most unofficial D&D settings, making the resultant nihilist paladin concept based on Beta Ray Bill nothing but pointless masturbation on par with Good industrial necromancers.