Charaacter owns some magical item, calls themself a wizard

Can just owning some magical maguffin be enough to consider someone a caster?

Even if they do not know any magic or can cast anything without their special magical thingy.

Could any village idiot use the item, or does it require skill/talent/special personal properties to use to its real potential?

In a conan-esque setting, sure. Most magic users in those only really count because they have a staff or orb or crown or giant statue that is powered by a god or demon or what have you and all magic is run through that or just stage tricks designed to intimidate the masses.

DEPENDS ON THE SETTING.

But it taps into a setting-independent question of which sorts of magic-users get snotty at which other sorts. Anything inspired by DnD tends to have Wizards getting snotty at Sorcerers who in turn get snotty at Warlocks. Not that this ever makes sense in any standard fantasy setting.

Quoth the Sorcerer: Hmm, so you say that the magic you acquired purely by hard work, despite having no birthright to magic, is superior to my magical lineage. An interesting assertion, let's see if the motherfucking king agrees oh wait he's already had you beheaded at level 1 for defiance of the natural social order.

In any case, if a character can cast then they are a caster, regardless of where the power comes from. The only variable is their social status as a result of that power. Many characters will not care. Whether the characters that matter to the story care or not is, of course, DEPENDENT ON THE SETTING.

I remember a game from the early 90's that had some member of the evil mages guild was just some guy that owned a magic lamp and genie. Somehow that qualified him for membership.

but she learns to cast without it

Isn't the scenario in the OP actually possible in most DnD settings as long as the individual has the skill Use Magic Item?

Some rogue can load up on magic stuff like a few wands, cloak or two, hat and some extras and just go around pretending to be a wizard successfully?

Better question: Is a class based entirely around [Use Magic Item] a viable concept?

Also thoughts on this show?

They still never want to fuck with the actual casters on the show.

They were terrified of pissing off the magic neckbeard.

Use Magic Device is specific to 3.P, but sure, it's possible to fake it in others. Sort of paints the fourth wall, though. "Wizard" really needs to be a thing in the setting and not just an abstraction of the system in order for pretending to be a Wizard to make sense as a character concept.

I rarely see characters built like that, though. It's unusual for a player to make a character who wants to achieve something or pretend to have something that can be acquired in character creation. More's the pity, because it can make for an interesting motivation.

> HERESYHERESYHERESY!!!
> PURGEITPURGEITPURGEIT!!!
> KILLITKILLITKILLITWITHFIRE!!!
> INGARYGYGAX'SHOLYNAME!!!

I never understood if this was the source of Yinsid's powers at all

That bad? Seemed rather innoffensive, if a bit random. They have the foresight to keep things consistent. Not a serious series by any means, and certainly won't be beating Adventure Time out any time soon, but overall... at least it's not Teen Titans Go!(Fuck yourselves)

Overall it seems to be the innate ability to manipulate the world around you, but that's just the key to magic. After that you have to back it up with something that you can use to enact your will on the world, usually Intellect or Will.

It's the difference between having a pencil, or not having one. You either do or you don't, but only someone highly experienced and well practiced in its use will be able to craft masterpieces.

pic not totally related due to DIP DOWN!

Isn't it Yensid?

More like a racial ability but unrelated to the wand use.

>Better question: Is a class based entirely around [Use Magic Item] a viable concept?
Potentially. Pathfinder has a rogue archetype based on that idea. Would definitely lag behind at low levels though.
>Also thoughts on this show?
Show itself is randumb humor shit. However the waifus are top-tier.

Yup.
Disney backwards.

He did not have any trouble turning the brooms off and making the water go away without the hat on.

>cucked by NPC
>getting -2 to hit
>damaged wand (roll d6 to get the right spell)
>lost book of spells
>being near the latinamerican monk makes you need to thrown a d20 for a sanity check

Marco is the new Starkiller

For like 5 seconds I assume you were quoting a character named "Quoth the Sorcerer"

Stealing this.

i would say its a class feature since not everyone can do it

I don't know, maybe a Cleric counts? They usually can't cast without a holy symbol, after all.

Though they also usually need training and devotion to a god to utilize magic with a holy symbol anyway, so it's a bit more involved then "owning a special magical thingy".

In D&D, having levels in a class that gets spell slots is required to be a caster as you get a caster level. Simply being able to use a magic item doesn't count as you're using the item's(or more aptly the creator of the item's caster level)

So no.

Characters can claim to be whatever dude.

>make a rogue
>put points into Bluff and Use Magic Device
>get a bunch of wands, hide in sleeves
>Abra Kadabra!
Who's going to know the difference?

You forgot sleight of hand, but I can see that.
>fail Spot and Sense Motive check
>r u a wizerd?

Who was it that said something like "a fake indiscernible from the original is just as good"?

Depends on the setting so fucking much

>I don't know, maybe a Cleric counts? They usually can't cast without a holy symbol, after all.

Not all Cleric spells require a divine focus.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No. But, if the item is versatile enough, the character might be able to trick people that don't know them into believing that they are. Like, say, if they're a rogue with use magic device, and the item is a magical scroll case that contains an unlimited quantity and variety of scrolls. There would be no difference to the average person.

This, Star is an eldritch lineage sorcerer. She gets her magic from her bloodline, the wand is just a focus.

Try describing one of the setting then instead of regurgitating the same shit you saw someone else post in a different thread and pretending you contributed something.

I thought the wand was powered by a mix of tiny unicorn on a treadmill and a usb charger

Short answer:
Caster? No. A caster by definition casts magic of some sort.

Magic user? Yes, a magic user is by definition one that uses magic, regardless of whether the source is themselves, another being, or a magical item.

IMO magic users are FAR more interesting than casters, due to the (usually) sharply limited nature of their powers, and often awful drawbacks to actually calling on it.

This describes more characters from shows and movies than it does characters in games.

Stories where someone gets a wand, hat, or something that gives them powers is pretty common. But in games everyone gets some kind of magical thingy, and that is just the same old magical item anyone gets after getting high enough in level or it's a powerrup in video games. Mario is not a caster because he down magic mushrooms and stars all the time.

Sounds nifty. Anything else you know about the game that I could try and find it with?