/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerers!
dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/sorcerer
Be sure to fill out the survey for rogues and rangers, too.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

What makes your setting unique, and what refluffs turned out the best for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2014/09/on-hoard-of-dragon-queen-episode-i.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> What makes your setting unique

If the shitty homebrew for 5e is any clue, it's races. Races have been a crutch for shitty worldbuilding since 3.5, and 5e is more of the same crap. Instead of creating interesting mechanics or new classes or new feats, these fuckwits choose to create new races. Why? New races represent a failure in roleplaying. They are you essentially saying "the standard elf dwarf orc shit isn't SPECIAL enough for me so I am going to make not!elves and play one of those instead."

Go fuck yourself,

Once again, go fuck yourself.

Most of the settings Veeky Forums likes, are shit. Most of the settings Veeky Forums creates, are shit. Why? Because Veeky Forums thinks homebrew races are good when in reality they are just distracting autism. Veeky Forums fetishizes originality without realizing that just because you made a world that is Muslim orcs on mars with elements of 1930s fascism, doesn't mean anyone gives a fuck no matter how original it is because your setting is convoluted and makes no fucking sense. That's why the standard races are fine. Everyone knows them. Make an interesting setting, not more fucking races.

> what refluffs turned out the best for it?

Yeah it's gonna be more "lmao well in THIS setting orcs are the GOOD GUYS and are MERCHANTS whereas elves are DARK and they enslave kobolds..."

YAWN

God fucking damn, redistributing racial roles does not an interesting setting make. Just because 90% of what Veeky Forums plays is garbage, does not excuse the fact that it is garbage. I'd rather play generic basic-ass fantasy over and over, and at least feel like I have a grip on the world, and feel some sense of versimilitude, than to suck frantically at the malformed cock of Veeky Forums's latest favorite setting that might be a floating submachine orbiting Venus but it's fucking retarded and adds no actual value to play besides a bunch of adjectives.

In my setting I've had the known world be confined to a specific island continent for millennia, until recently (about 150 years before campaign start date) a ship thought lost at sea found not!Americas littered with ancient ruins, violent natives, and powerful (relatively speaking) magic items.

So take the growing lack of farmland problem of old world Europe, add in a heretofore unknown amount of farmable, livable land, AND untold riches and items thought to be found only in myth and legend?

Sounds like a recipe for adventure to me.

You gotta chill. Stop going full autist.

>that one rogue that got tired of the campaign, volunteered to be first watch and then slit everyone's throat before killing himself

What would you do to fix Horde of the Tiamat Rise Queen?

I'm going to run an urban game, never run one in a system that wasn't extremely rules light. Any tips on preparing? I am leaning towards sandbox and know of some helpful stuff like donjon and a couple worldbuilding guides but have no experience implementing some of the optional rules.

How does the loyalty mechanic for npcs/hirelings actually work out in games, has anyone tried it? How about insanity? Also looking for some guidance running chase sequences.

Not necessarily "unique" in that it's largely based off of a real world place and time period, but I've never heard of anyone else doing it.

It's set in 1500s southeast Asia, a time period where White mercenaries and merchants were becoming more common and warfare was shifting to gunpowder weapons. Players are visitors to not-Siam, getting caught up in the underground opium business.

not run it at all

I never run unique settings. There's nothing new under the sun and execution pays much larger dividends than anything in the fluff. Most of my improvements have come in the machinery of running the game rather than anything in the story.

Mystic take 3 fucking when?

after the wizard UA which is after the Warlock UA. (unless they combine them)

Reminds me of Dishonored, where all civilization is on one fairly small isle, and all there's a very large continent (essentially Pangaea) where anybody who goes, comes back insane, or doesn't come back.

When they've finally been convinced that they can make the same cash money off of Eberron or Dark Sun that they're already making by rehashing Faerûn after Faerûn after Faerûn

Copy all the text in it
Paste it into here: textmechanic.com/text-tools/basic-text-tools/sort-text-lines/
Start from the bottom and work your way up with lines that grab you.
Build from there.

So what stats would I need to make an effective GFB sorcerer/fighter, and am I better off using the stat bumps for stats or feats?

Sorcerer UA reactions? I'm a BIG fan of the Sea Sorcerer personally. I love the flavor of cursing people with your magic.

I don't try for unique, but my settings are built from the bottom up through the mashing of random ideas and through play.

Two I really want to run through is a sort of campaign that's like Dark Sun but underwater.

I actually found sea to be the worst of the four. Favored soul and Phoenix are great though I'd rather the lolrandumb parts of Phoenix be scrapped.

So does favored soul get the cleric spells in addition to their sorcerer spells or do they have to trade a normal spell slot for a new shinny cleric one?

> What makes your setting unique
ehhh, it's eberron but without the old gods, the lore is that Soth fucked up the gods (bahamut, colleron, etc) so people could be free, and a party restore that by becoming the new gods, after that the actual party lives in that world, where the paladin can visit the wife of his god for advice and the like

> what refluffs turned out the best for it?
The 'kingdom' of tieflings went down to a republic that hates all kind of divine magic/deity and they killed Asmodeus

>Most of the settings Veeky Forums likes, are shit. Most of the settings Veeky Forums creates, are shit. Why? Because Veeky Forums thinks homebrew races are good when in reality they are just distracting autism. Veeky Forums fetishizes originality without realizing that just because you made a world that is Muslim orcs on mars with elements of 1930s fascism, doesn't mean anyone gives a fuck no matter how original it is because your setting is convoluted and makes no fucking sense. That's why the standard races are fine. Everyone knows them. Make an interesting setting, not more fucking races.
besides the
>MY WIFE LEFT ME I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW
i kinda agree, homebrew races dont make a good setting, like having rat/elf/tiefling mashup just because your autismo/fursona wants it doesnt make the setting less or more good, just different

I think I liked all of them. Earth is weird but not bad. I love Sea's curse mechanic. I don't know about OP or what not but the curse of the sea is an awesome ability flavorfully and mechanically imo.

I do like Phoenix, I just wish two of it's abilities weren't long rest only. They are very OP though.

If it's a cityscape game, make sure that your players aren't hobos. Have them have a tie to the place either a relative or a shop or something.

>Dark Sun but underwater.
im stealing this

How is this going to play out?
Something like Waterworld?

No.

Totally underwater, underwater races only in the ruins of a drowned world.

The world is dying, the sun is failing; the effect is that the world is also rapidly cooling, and resources like fossil fuels and trees are rapidly diminishing.
This is also the time of massive monsters, who have evolved with massive fuel sources on their bodies.

>Races have been a crutch for shitty worldbuilding since 3.5, and 5e is more of the same crap. Instead of creating interesting mechanics or new classes or new feats, these fuckwits choose to create new races. Why? New races represent a failure in roleplaying.
Nah it's been around way longer than that. And it's not just custom races, it's custom classes too.

I'd do it more clockwork and deep under the sea with the surface having fallen to some unspeakable evil.

>what makes my setting unique
I suppose my setting isn't the most unique, but I don't know of many people playing similar things so there's that.
It's a high racism, low magic, low fantasy fuckfest. My players know that if they roll an elf and get too cocky in a rural country town they're running the risk of getting lynched.
Magic is volatile and dangerous. Demons and other manifestations of the dark arts are constantly trying to destroy the civilized world. This has caused people to become suspicious of all mages.
All magic users are required to sign on with 'regulatory guilds' where their research and practice is watched. If they become too dangerous the Inquisition will track them down and burn them at the stake.
Various Human Kingdoms dot the landscape, waging massive and destructive wars against each other for minimal territorial gains.
The plotline is quite political, and my players really enjoy the setting.

tl;dr Grimdark fuckfest complete with racial tension, witch hunts and destructive wars.

>refluff
Since magic is supposed to be dangerous I have a magic system that brings in elements of the warhammer role-playing game magic systems. Every time someone casts a non-passive spell they have to roll a d20 to 'harness the magical energies'
1: Take a d8 of force damage, you fucked up
2-6: It misfires
7-15: It goes normally
16-19: Do an extra d8 of damage
20: double damage

I posted this system here before once and you guys didn't like it. I gave it a trail run and my players REALLY liked it. Now I know to ignore everything I see here.

also, don't bother telling me that if I want to play low magic/low fantasy that I should switch to another system.
I know.
I don't care.

Reminded me that my Wild Magic Sorcerer wanted to surge more often so I changed his surge die from a d20 occasionally to a d8 every time he casts a non-cantrip.

The table loves it

It looks like they get the option of choosing Cleric spells on the spells known list instead of Sorceror spells

That's pretty dope. Reminds me of one time that I had a demon possess the sorcerer. During one combat the demon starting offering to give him more spell slots in return for giving the demon more traction and control over his body.

Gotta stomp those pesky casters somehow.

I am really digging Stone Sorcerer and want to make one, but would like some inspiration. So tell me a story about your Sorcerer's origin, how they got their powers and their call to adventuring life.

I can now play an eternally youthful sorcerer who charms people with their youthfulness?

Great!

When can we have a kitsune race in 5e next?

lol

Two-handed weapon or SnB for stone sorcerer?

War caster feat tax suck but I do want to play SnB gish.

I'd say SnB since Sorcerer has d6 hit die and really needs as much AC as possible so they don't take damage as often

I'm making a table to roll on with a bunch of random rooms for an upcoming dungeon, and one of the rooms in it just has a bunch of portals that go to different places.

Looking for ideas for places the portals might spit them out. Game takes place in the Realms, around Waterdeep mostly.

So far my list consists of Skullport, the Yawning Portal, a demiplane containing a bunch of treasure, the City of Brass, the bottom of the ocean, Neverwinter, and various other rooms in the dungeon.

What are the best disable spells for a bard who doesn't want violence and wants to Macross it up with songs?

But if you put ASI in CON instead of war caster, you would get more hp (at the cost of 1 lower ac).

Assuming you are not variant human and get the best of both world, as always.

The innermost depths of Carceri
A platform on an alien world surrounded by a dozen more portals
Al Qadim
Mystara
A demiplane full of chocolate

Nothing is particularly unique.

I dropped a number of spells that break the rarity of magic I expect.

Racewise I essentially have planetouched be the standin for humans (Air genasi are Europe/India/Persia, Water genasi are the far east, Earth genasi are native americans and some of the few linked steppe peoples who stayed behind, Fire genasi do double duty for the middle east and subsaharan africa since I didn't feel like using tiefling and aasimar too much - although I'm still considering using them both at once for semitic cultures and keeping fire for subsaharan africa period). I'm using goblinoids for a few groups, including the not!romans (except they're far from the empire, or an empire at all at this point).

It's the classical period, except with smaller empires. There are strong, obvious hints of a significantly more advanced civilization collapsing, but it's not all out Darksun.

Don't forget Sigil, the City of Doors.

Also Undermountain.
The Far Realm.
Barovia.
A god's massive corpse on the Astral Plane.

No humans and draws inspiration from the Feywild and Lorwyn.

It's very Grimbright and pretty fun to design adventures for.

Oh shit dudes, those are some good ideas. Definitely gonna put in Sigil and a demiplane full of chocolate.

>Complains about how everyone likes bad settings
>Fails to provide an example of a good setting

You typed out a whole lot just to say, "Stop liking what I don't like!".

Since bard, you know 4 first level spells at level 1.

Level 1
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Sleep
Charm Person

Level 2
Calm Emotion
Blindness/Deafness
Zone of Truth

Level 3
Fear
Hypnotic Pattern
Bestow Curse

After that I am out of my element, none of my bards survived past getting 3rd level spells.

That post started out as a list of which spells to take at each level, but then i got lazy, so ignore that first line of text.

Waterdeep is built on top of Undermountain, you should grab some of its supplements (Undermountain supplements) and mine them for ideas.

Hi, Zak!

I did a bunch of stuff with Races to make my setting unique. Or maybe i did stuff with races because of how I oriented my setting.

Literally all the races in my setting that arent Haflings or Humans are Aliens from other planets that are connected to !Earth via portals opened by magical humans hundreds of years ago. I included every released option for 5e in my setting cause i didn't want to be a wang-rod and place restrictions on my players.

That said, i am running a sort of 80s fantasy setting, in the vain of Flash Gordon, so having lots of weird craziness is not out of the question.

I also changed some of the races, for instance, Dragonborn are not a biological race, they are created. Either you Slay a dragon and become a dragonborn by performing a ritual with a dragon's heart, or you gain the blessing of a dragon and they turn you into a Dragonborn.
I call them Dragon Slayers and Dragon Stewards respectively. I even added a bonus feature to their Breath Weapons.

>Slayer
Anyone attacking a target hit with your breath weapon has advantage on said attack untill the end of your next turn.
>Steward
Any target hit with your breath weapon has disadvantage on attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

How does a level 0 character slay a dragon to become a Dragonborn? no idea, that's up to the player to figure out. I always suggest the "You were a noble and your family hired some adventurers to kill a dragon for you to gain this sign of nobility"

Yuan-ti are Snake Vampires from a Dinosaur Planet! :D

There's one on the DM's Guild that's pretty decent.
>"But I want an official option!"
No, shoo. Beg your DM to let you be a kitsune and let me know because if he allows that then there's a good chance he'd also allow me to play a mousefolk using refluffed goblin racial traits.

d6 + 1 really due to one of their features.

I definitely will, I intend on placing this room within a small corner of Undermountain.

I came from playing the Baldur's Gate series where your bard played a song as his action to give the entire party a buff.
I was a bit disappointed to play tabletop for the first time and see Bards no longer do this, they just hand out inspiration die to individual characters but have become full casters themselves.
Am I the only one who likes the idea of old school Bards better?

How jealous would you be if I said we once ran a game through to level 10 in a mousefolk setting?

Entire game was in one town and the BBEG was a house cat.

The elusive d7

Not particularly, but it sounds pretty damn cool.

Re-reading smite spells. Such as the ones that Stone Sorcerer gets access to.
I always assumed they ended when you used an attack that hit and effect went off.
But it says nothing like that.
So...for as long as I maintain concentration, all my attacks do the extra Smite effect, correct?

Its a rather interesting method to be sure.

Every time someone at my table played a bard, their music was only about half as useful as intended because everyone would constantly forget to take the buffs into account. Not a fan.

I would like to be a Stag Beetle Samurai if possible.

d6+1 health is actually roughly equivalent to a d8.

No, your first assumption was correct. The effect only triggers on the first hit while you maintain concentration. Some like Wrathful Smite have another rider that you need to maintain concentration to persist.

Don't forget to go hill dwarf and take the tough feat for 1d6+7 if you have 16 con.

Not the only one, but as long as bards are word warriors I personally don't care about the nuance.

Unfortunately i think Warcaster takes priority as a feat over Tough for Stone Sorc. Definitely worth it at level 8 though. Or if your DM gives you a bonus feat at level 1, which is apparently a thing that happens.

Essentially gives you Barb HP

Probably for the best. I would've only used one spell for a whole combat if it were the case.

Which Metamagic Options do you guys recommend of a Stone Sorc? Twinned spell doesn't seem as...useful when it seems oriented to take spells with the Self range.

I'm running Storm King's Thunder for my group, and they're having a great time with it. However, they just got a conch of Hekaton...before they ever went to the Eye of the All Father. Basically, they found Moog really sympathetic, and went after Guh before anything else. According to the adventure, the oracle should tell them to go to Hekaton's court, where they should be level 10, but they JUST hit level 7. Plus, they've skipped like half the adventure. What's the best way to handle this?

>What's the best way to handle this?
Marshmallows.

Twinned Haste or Polymorph is still the king.

Subtle counterspell if your DM is that DM.

>What makes your setting unique, and what refluffs turned out the best for it?
Actually, my main setting works like Russian Fantasy Forgotten Realms, so my players could use any material without issue. I just worked to justify or explain away all the stupid shit.

Setting features recent apocalypses, so there's no infrastructure to maintain Wizard schools, which cuts down on the general level of magic items players are used to, and the standard fluff for other casters can be made to imply they're very rare (Druids are a secretive cult, Clerics are hand-picked by Gods, Sorcerers are born, etc). Only Warlocks are common, and only then because getting their power is relatively easy.

Most unique thing is that I actually backed up the usual Necromancy ban with a reason beyond "muh evil, muh body rights". Necromantic energy is pure Entropy. The use of it literally starts speeding up the heat death of the universe. The universe will literally start disgorging Undead forms of Gods who fell in battle until all creation dies screaming into the void.

A Necromancer is the easiest way to convince a Cleric and a Demon-Cultist to team up. Hell, the Archfiends specifically leave Anti-Undead Religious Orders alone, as a courtesy.

I guess what makes my setting unique is that the end of the world started 200 years ago in the center of a super continent (blood war spilled out of a reality tear in full force after some nobles tried transcend) and it's starting catching up with the rest of the planet.

The TL;DR is that Cosmic forces tug and pull at the material plane of Tera to see if it gets pulled into the negative planes or the positive planes. Elder Gods from past timelines are all judging the planet to see where it'll end up, as Young Gods and The Ancients seek to sway and push the balance of poor planet in all their own favors to try and tip the scales and have the planet end up in haven or hell.

All the PC's are slowly becoming privy to the magnitude of the situation through hints and plot points throughout the last campaign I ran. I'm about to begin Act 2 and I can't wait to delve deeper into the setting and story.

What makes subtle counterspell so great and what is a that DM in this example?

Very nice.

Not that guy, but subtle counterspell can't be seen... so it can't be countered. Since spellcasters can counter counterspells it is the surefire way to cut the counterspell ping pong short in your favor

Is the Favored Soul as broken as it sounds on paper?

New favored soul? Broken?? What?

What?

I'm leaning towards having a band of hill giants come for revenge and take it back, but that feels shifty, and I don't want to take something back because I didn't want to cause a TPK and use the full power of the encounter

hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2014/09/on-hoard-of-dragon-queen-episode-i.html
These guys have a great guide for improving the ToG campaign, I used it when I ran it a while back when it came out

Does subtle really make spells without M components completely concealed? Do people know who attempted to charm them specifically if they fail their save?

I pity your playgroup. you've never met anyone creative enough to make an interesting high fantasy setting or race if you think this is true.

It gets rid of verbal and somantic components, which means you can be bound up, gagged, and otherwise immobilized, but if you see the enemy spellcaster getting ready to throw a Fireball, you can Subtle Counterspell it by giving them a really loud Peanuts' adult offscreen WOMP WOMP noise.

They wouldn't know.

Ice Knife + Twinned Spell

>1d10 to each on hits
>hit or miss, two 15ft AOEs deal 2d6 on a failed DEX save
>overlap for more carnage on a smaller group

Pretty decent crowd killer at first level.

Come up with a reason for one of them to go after one of the other chiefs first.

Or have them be at one of the cities and have it get attacked and just run one of those chapters through.

You can't twin ice knife.

animal folk are highly underrated as staple civilizations in ttg settings, imo. not only is there flavor options all over the place, and ways to easily build interesting histories and dynamics, but players have a lot of fun putting together things like an alligator man, a jumping spider man, an elephant man, a snail man. you get some interesting features, things like limbs/tentacles/wings/natural weapons, campaigns like that are never boring.

DMed a campaign where someone played a stag beetle champion for a while. having four arms is p strong.

It targets one creature.

As a DM, I prefer the current approach since if you have both a Bard and a Paladin in the party the way those two auras interact will make running combat smoothly a nightmare.

The AoE can target multiple creatures, meaning the spell can target multiple creatures, meaning you can't twin it.

>Russian Fantasy Forgotten Realms
Please tell me your powerful resident lich is Koschei.

See this post I never found a proper time to introduce a Koshei, because I'd like to do him justice. I'm planning on ripping off Hellboy for a lot of it. Either that, or making one of the PCs into him if they die and are in a position that Not!Baba Yaga will make them undead.

You do not have disadvantage on attack rolls with a crossbow while prone.

Thoughts?

Ice Knife should be twinnable, only has one target specified by the spell. The AoE is a byproduct.

Is it just me or are the Orcs in Volos Monster Guide kinda gimped?

I'm still kinda new to D&D, but they don't seem all that great compared to what I saw they were like in 3.5e.

The ranged spell attack you make with it is also a byproduct of the spell. It doesn't matter the order it happens, the spell can still target more than one creature and thus cannot be twinned.

It's not targeting the other creatures though, they're just in the way