EDH/Commander General

Shitty Flavor Text Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info
Commandeer Edition

>Thread Topic
Good/bad flavor text and unpopular EDH opinions.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-room-for-waiting/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/truth-names-2015-01-28
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I guess that only black decks can then play Trinisphere.

>Good/bad flavor text and unpopular EDH opinions.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-room-for-waiting/

Looking for some criticism / recommendations before I finalise my order.

Who is the most fun Spellslinger Commander?

Wort Raidmother? Jori En? Melek?

Anyone get anything cool in the mail today? I got a bunch of pain land in an attempt to speed up and unpovertify my decks. Next pay check i start buying shock lands.

Also I am sure no one cares but these are from card kingdom which i bought from for the first time. Pretty average service honestly, everything ariving at the same time wasnt really worth paying the extra money instead of just going with tcg player

This is the worst flavor text ever.

Needs some sort of board clear imo. Toxic deluge or cyclonic rift would be good, possibly both.

also why is there literally zero artifacts in this deck? Is there something that I'm missing with this list that would make it less beneficial to run any artifact at all?

My playgroup has become too direly attached to artifacts, me being no small contributor, so I'm making an artifactless deck.

It's a petty and arbitrary reason, admittedly, but enough of one to spend like 2o bucks, since it'll probably end in every havin' a laff.

Got some cards for my tribal humans in the mail yesterday. Nothing incredible but I did manage to score a mis-cut Selfless Squire from C16 though which was kind of neat. What kind of decks are do you have where you need this many pain lands?

Also TCG Player is simply the superior online cardshop. I don't even bother asking my LGS if they have the cards I need anymore, tcg player is just easier.

Yea I just saw Energy Flux on the list. Bane of Progress would be really good if you're looking to hate on artifacts.

I have a bunch of precons that have shit mana base such as the 4 color ones. The rest of what I don't use there are going into new decks in the future and one is going into my bruna deck.

What's a fun Johnny mono-green commander? With a small side helping of Timmy

I want to build a BIG BLACK deck, but I can't decide between kokusho reaninator and Maga big black mana. Do any of you have any experience with these decks.

I love big black ...... decks

Kokusho doesn't hit as hard usually, but he can be reanimated and be useful and he hits all opponents. Maga is cool, but not as good as Kokusho.
Most monoblack decks are mostly the same decks with different commanders aside from few exceptions, so you can get away with little to no changes if you ever wish to change commanders. You can keep other in the 99 other times if you wish, although Maga is way less useful there than Kokusho.

Second... worst flavor text ever.

>Unpopular EDH opinions

Sheldon is running the format fine.
Nothing needs to be unbanned.
They should ban more cards for price justification.
Ring and Crypt are catalysts, not the problem.
EDH was better when Wizards wasn't tailoring cards specifically for the format. They have no sense subtlty when it comes to balance.

Come at me, shitlords.

BAN WHEN?

>the tail
Why am I noticing this just now? And why does the artist thinks that gorilla's tails are like lemur ones?

And the claws are a-ok? Stop being selectively autistic. Go normie or go bust.

>he has claws as well
Jesus someone get Wizards a zoologist

Cant argue when you are right

>mfw traded away paradox engine for a playset of artifact lands nim deathmantle

Now I don't have to worry about what to do with that shit card

Pic related is bad flavor text imo

>Playing Titania vs. Mogis, Selvala 1.0, and Phage
>Keep getting boardwiped but it doesn't even matter
>Have every basic land out of my deck
>Make Marit Lage out of Dark Depths + Thespian's Stage
>Cast Rishkar's Expertise, draw 20 cards
>Free cast a Living Plane
>Float all my mana, cast Ezuri's Predation, cast Cursed Totem, cast Null Rod
>All my opponents' lands are dead, lands can't tap for mana, artifacts don't work

Felt good mang.

7 mana.

If he's playing blue with 7 mana spare, his deck isn't working because by now he should of already combo'd.

>every deck with blue in it only does combo

Wew lad, i only run decks with blue in them specifically for cyclonic rift. Most of them barely have a blue presence outside of that card and some card draw stuff like rystic study

Thread needs some more good flavor text.

>Ring and Crypt are catalysts, not the problem.
It's a problem when even the most casual players accidentally get starting hands that ramp up to 5 on turn 2 from nothing but 2 lands, a CMC2 mana rock and the sol ring they got from their precon.

>They should ban more cards for price justification.
>Ring and Crypt are catalysts, not the problem.

they should probably ban a few of the most ez-mode combo wincons and a few tutors to go along with it. leave mike and trike alone because it's 12 mana but maybe perhaps ban doomsday and food chain?? maybe also ban demonic tutor, vampiric tutor and entomb??????

>Ban only the black tutors

You guys aren't even trying to be subtle with your racism anymore.

user what the fuck is this?

Oooh maybe. I see a lot of Hydras on EDHrec which is a little too much Timmy for my tastes

Our game is so fun, I just don't want it to be over.

Yes, Cyclonic Rift is trash in cEDH "if you don't reliably win before turn 5 you're a shitter" decks, but the banlist is made for 75% metas where it's stupidly strong for practically every deck that can run it.

Every land, artifact and creature is a 1/1 without abilities that can't attack. Casting a spell gives you more of those. The Shared Fate is win-more though.

Holy shit that's egregious, I had to look it up to see if it was actually real.

I wish we could have cool and original flavor text like pic related again, these days most of them are either "jacetice quip", or an encyclopedia entey.

So just a shit nonsensical combo that is disrupted easily? Good to know

Amen

Serious blue exists for combo.

Counterspells etc.

You need the shared fate to stop anyone from milling out

That is just objectively untrue user

coming up with good flavor texts is pretty hard

i'm looking over some special playing cards i made for homebrew tabletop RPG and i think maybe 4-5 out of 50 of them are respectable and not cringey

I know it's hard, but that collar one is inexcusable, pretty much anyone could do a better job.

Is Daxos of Meletis any good/fun?

oh yeah that shouldn't have survived the "get coffee and come back, does it look stupid?" test

Jesus my fucking sides.

Mizzix, obviously. Jori En and Melek are great support for her.

That's not an ape. Apes are defined as seperate from monkeys largely on the basis of whether or not they have a tale. Also the first time I saw that card posted in a flavor text thread I thought it was fake. Is it supposed to be a dick joke? Was some intern in charge of flavor text for it and had to come up with something last minute while super high? Wtf is happening with this card?

This is one of my favorites. Pretty much summarizes my philosophy when it comes to magic.

It's just a silly flavor text about a big monkey who wants a big banana. Nothing strange here. You're reading into it too much.

how does that work? Is it because they skip their draw step?

The fuck? What is that a picture of?

Anyways, yes and no. Daxo of Meletis with a healthy spattering of ramp and control is fucking awful to play against. That being said Brago/GAAIV are generally better choices, and Lazav does the whole "steal your opponent's things" schtick a little better.

That being said, it totally torches decks with strong/above curve creatures. The built in skulk-type ability is fuck awful to deal with if you haven't built a deck specifically to deal with it, and the only thing you have to worry about are various 2 or 3 drop 2/3 commanders shutting your whole deck down.

I bet voltron would be neat with him, but finding all the mana is going to be tough.

>Apes are defined as seperate from monkeys largely on the basis of whether or not they have a tale
Well clearly this one has a story.

Shared Fate replaces your draw step with a different effect. You need to draw a card on an empty library to end the game, and if you can't draw cards, then you can't lose to decking.

oh fuck me. You knew what I meant. I'm tired.

You only lose if you go to draw and there are no cards in your library. Exiling off of someone else's deck won't do it, even if their library is empty.

It's that time /edh/. Describe your style as a Magic player. I'll start things off:

>the new Doom arcade mode meets "that guy" who writes IKEA manuals

Commander with the worst flavor text coming through

>tfw you'll never take part in a homebrew RPG where the players live in a world where apes rule the earth
>"monkey" is a derogatory term for second class citizens who are not considered true apes
>the only way to graduate to an ape is to have something exciting happen to you and live to tell a tale, ie you can only be an ape if you have a tale to tell

Mizzix. Melek the is clunky but nice in the 99 as support. Sometimes you don't want to cast him so he sits in your hand though. Jori En actually pulls some weight when you aren't drawing your draw spells.

Chainer or Volrath

God, that would be fine, GOOD even, if it left out the last part. Fucking hell.

>"Hey guys, can you help me decide between A and B?"
>"Yeah, choose C or D."
user, are you autistic?

Wort, without a single doubt.

Fine, enjoy your pleb-tier deck.

I'm not even that guy. Also, if you think Kokusho is pleb-tier then you're retarded, Kokusho can be competitive as fuck.

I'm going to rewrite all these flavourtexts because I'm bored, and some of this shit is terrible.

>Kang Kong always disliked West Coast Rap. Sometimes you just need to represent.

>History clings to an icon's function, rather than it's form. None the less, a primal sense of peace comes with smashing symbols of oppression.

>As the Mountain quaked and groaned under the tectonic strain, the Forest was no match for the pyroclastic flow.
Alternatively:
>Sifting through the cinders of the dead Mountain revealed the fire that ravaged the province stared with a single spark.

>A triumvirate of telepathic torment.

From what I've heard The best thing to do with her, is have cards like phyrexian soul gorger, mutagenic growth and umbral mantle to produce infinite mana as early as possible, then cast an infinite damage hurricane or an infinite power hydra. I recently pulled a foil one so I'm currently trying to build her myself now.

Looking for more stuff like Reconnaissance to help Alesha swing with impunity.

my man radical larry

dolmen gate is like a worse renaissance, and fanatical devotion can work in tandem with her trigger

That one isn't that bad, it's fine really.

I do wish we got more legendary creatures with flavor text though.

Iroas, it's basically another Dolmen Gate (as mentioned) except with more upsides.

Otherwise just suit her up with equipment. Deathtouch makes her hard to block.

are you implying that "I want a banana this big" is bad

>running a tranny as your commander

all of these rewrites are shit
basilisk collar

Yes user. Banana's don't come that large, and if he had a banana that large, he would need some alternative source of protein to sustain his muscle mass.

Go on user, show me your moves, but for some reason, literacy doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

Hence, 'win more'.

I asked some lore people about this. Apparently it's just one or two occasions in the book where she gets called "boy" as an insult. Some weirdos took that and decided that she must be a transsexual.

>the book
No, you're stupid.

>"Anger twisted the orc's face and he took another step toward her. "You tell me this? A human boy who thinks he's a woman?""
Plus wotc confirmed she is trans

Don't be stupid. It's not even in a book.

A card central to the function of the combo is not a win more, user.

But why do people care? It has almost nothing to do with anything.

>unpopular EDH opinions

99-card decks is a good idea in theory, but actually shuffling and handling such deck (especially when double-sleeved) is impractical and cumbersome in practice.

Another atrocious design flaw of the format is tracking commander damage. That's up to 16 "life totals" in a four-player game one has to potentially keep track of. Along with tracking 40-point life totals and the amount of times each commander was cast in a game.

Multiplayer Magic is bullshit because if one player loses the game early, he has to watch the rest of the game for (up to) several hours.

Command Tower was a mistake.

You're ill-informed.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/truth-names-2015-01-28

>why do people care?
Because it's forcing an agenda. Because it's gross. Because trannies are mentally ill and shouldn't be normalized or glorified.

Because some people care about the lore? Most of it is shit of course but people like it.

Apparently there are ppl who care for shitty lore. Or lore in general. I never understood that either, mtg stories are just lame.

>bitchy little girl reaction gif
How appropriate

Because they hate "forced diversity" even if they needed to go out of their way to even learn that Alesha is trans.

Isn't Magic filled with mentally ill characters? Urza was actually insane, yet they still portrayed him as a hero. Just sounds like you don't like trannies. I don't like dealing with little faggots who autistically screech over someone playing a commander, but here we are. We deal with it like adults.

>even if they needed to go out of their way to even learn that Alesha is trans.
I learned it just by being in these threads. Wouldn't call that going out of my way.

>Isn't Magic filled with mentally ill characters? Urza was actually insane, yet they still portrayed him as a hero. Just sounds like you don't like trannies
Other mental illnesses aren't being forced down our throats by liberal society.

Shared fate means that the game will never end because no one gets to draw cards. Still all damaging enchantments need to die as well before it

I don't know what metas you play in but when that happens the game normally turns into a match of Archenemy until that player's advantage is equalized to the rest of the board. Unless you can combo on the spot all the ramp in the world doesn't help in a 3+ vs 1 scenario.

>Because it's forcing an agenda. Because it's gross. Because trannies are mentally ill and shouldn't be normalized or glorified.

>Isn't Magic filled with mentally ill characters?
That's different, since Alesha's story is clearly operating on the twisted lie that people can be "born the wrong gender" and they can live happily if they play dress up. And don' get me started on the "everyone was gay in Greece" C16 faggot couple. I want to play cards and have fun, not be fed politics.

Because you've already been normalized to them. Give it a year, you'll grow up.

>Because it's forcing an agenda. Because it's gross. Because trannies are mentally ill and shouldn't be normalized or glorified.
Yes, but a character anecdotallybneing a tranny is the pandering equivalent of blackxplotiation movies. Only a complete idiot would think it's nuanced, interesting, or at all relevant.

See, I care about the lore when it's worth caring about, but since they clearly don't respect their audience, why are you investing time in reading it? I thought "beefslab gids" and chandra's magical cat-attracting lap were enough of a slap in the face for most people to go "absolutely not".

>Because they hate "forced diversity" even if they needed to go out of their way to even learn that Alesha is trans.
I also hate forced diversity, but much like Narset being a sperg, it was a one-block sort of relevant thing that is completely divorced from the story at this point, like Arlin Kord being gay. You think in 5 years anyone will know who the fuck Arlin Kord is?