MtG: Modern General

Counterspell Edition

What's your favorite counter in the format? And why?
How do you play around/bluff counter magic?
Any blowouts because of them?
What are the best counters? pic unrelated. to lazy to m ake a pic of remand, mana leak and pact

RESOURCES
Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
A New Modern
channelfireball.com/articles/a-new-modern-with-aether-revolt/

Playin'?
Hatin'?
Makin'?

>What's your favorite counter in the format? And why?
Pic related
Because it's not blue
Because I don't care which option they chose, it always help me
>How do you play around/bluff counter magic?
Void Winnower in Tron
>Any blowouts because of them?
Tried to blaze my opponent but he kept increasing the cost with his counterspells
Bought Banefire since

pic related is my favorite counter. Nobody ever expects it.

I play tron, so idgaf. ill just slam the fatty down next turn anyway
I play remand in my Gx deck, which people never expect, esp. Ad Nauseum players

>What are the best counters?
They're in the spoiler

>Playin'
Gx Tron. finally said fuck it and am running city of brass ay my non-tron lands. lets me not auto-lose to AN

>Hatin'
What do you think?

>Makin'
Legacy Leldrazi. I wanna play sol and 'shop lands

forgot pic like a retard

Non-blue counters best counters

Haven't seen WR/WBR Tokens top anything in forever, anyone have a semi-current list that doesn't poorly force a bunch of planeswalkers?

What does R provide in a token list that B doesn't do better?

A turn four Emrakul in 33% of games.

How?

Did you mean U ?

here i go again

Indomitable Creativity

I have a working list but it's shit because I've never actually played modern tokens so I have no idea what exactly the deck attempts to do besides play tokens.

That's not a good way to cheat emmy into play.

>Indomitable Creativity to cheat Emrakul onto the battlefield
/edhg/ is over there

It literally wins the game if they ever tap out.

It does not. At all

It actually does.

Lol wut?

I'm not sure what you're confused about.

Do you expect you opponent to never interact with you?

Polymorph do the exact same thing

Token is trying to disturb your opponent game plan beside playing token, using hand rapers and creatures killers

This is the modern general, afterall

K. Lets walk through this

>i cast Karn turn 3 and tap out
>you cast notpolymorph and get emrakul. No cast trigger
> i exile emrakul, and cast numrakul

OR

>i'm playing burn
>you die

OR

>same as first but i have lilli
>but i thoughtsiezed your entire decks plan on turn 1

OR

>i path your token in response

That's like saying Twin expected the opponent to never interact with them.

It's the same mana cost to go off, the same sorcery speed requires a creature interaction, simply doesn't require drawing an Exarch or Pestermite.

Being able to threaten an Emrakul at any point while dumping 2/2 Vigilance dudes doesn't seem like a horrible idea.

I feel like it's fairly evident the Inquisition/Thoughtseize/Sorin gameplan is simply not viable in the current meta, given the fact that WB tokens is utter trash right now.

Interaction is a meme by this point in Magic, modern or any other format.

If you run discard and/or countermagic in a combo deck, people will still go
>LOL DUDE, SOLITAIRE! MUH INTERACTION!

There's retards bashing burn for not being interactive.

At this point unless you're playing jund exclusively, you're not being interactive in a magic game, because everyone wants other people to follow their wishes.

Yeah Tron's probably the hardest matchup because of how many answers they have to either gameplan.

I've got mainboard Timely Reinforcements so I'm not seeing the Burn matchup being too tough, especially after sideboard.

>same as first but i have lilli
>but i thoughtsiezed your entire decks plan on turn 1
It's a four of, it more than likely is not even in my opening hand, I'm not too concerned about Thoughtseize. Liliana's ability isn't really a relevant argument given that the cards are in a token shell.

>i path your token in response
I cast it for X=2 because you had path mana up, what then user? Are you going to path my Emrakul?

The problem with this is that 67% of the games you're playing a worse version of BW tokens, which already is a bad deck. Not to mention that the combo is countered by literally every removal spell in the format.

Not him:
>Tron shit on you
Tron is a unwinable matchup, if you gat paired agaisnt one, just ask to write 2/0 for them
>burn shut on token
Token is actualy good vs burn, having extra value from timely reinforcement and running manlands with lifelink is great
Also a turn of sorin usualy win you the game
>jund shut on token
You can outmidrange jund the same way you do it with abzan
>W.dec shit on token
Thats why I run mirrorweave as my secret teck istead of splashing a color
Becaus if you don't want to die you have to path your own creature if you don't wanna die
But it's good only on creature matchups

Twin had redundancy, filtering, counterspells, and was instant speed. Sure you had to attack, but you could combo off whenever. Plus drawing 8 cards from 60 is pretty easy

Lili forces you to sac a creature and emrakul is your only guy

Sure,i'll path both or bolt them. Or cast supreme verdict on my turn.

White-Black tokens is good against burn. Not WR

And no, you literally can't "out midrange" jund

>mirrorweave against path
Wat?

It's ok to play a bad deck, as long as you know why it's bad im trying to make esper viable. Trust me i know that feel

>I cast it for X=2
On turn 5? You won't be able to turn emracool sideways until t6. If you've got 2 or more tokens on T5 you're already winning anyway. BW control struggles against combo and tron. Tron shits on this combo and and both AN and Valakut aren't going to lose to a T6 emrakul. All this combo does is improve the already good MU's without improving on the bad ones. But you don't understand that because you don't play b/w tokens.

It's not viable, bit it's the gameplan and the fact that it's doing terrible doesn't change that

Well it isn't that I don't draw into it 67% of games, but rather that I don't necessarily play it turn 4, mostly to avoid the situation you mentioned. Waiting until five mana to target two of my creatures dodges everything except double removal which I should be able to see coming.

Twin was most certainly not instant speed, it could play a piece of the combo at instant speed.
>Plus drawing 8 cards from 60 is pretty easy
Lists often didn't have a full playset of any card that wasn't Twin. Plus you have to consider Twin was a two-card combo, even if you had twice the pieces you were still half as likely to have the pieces you needed.

This being effectively a one-card combo cuts slots in the deck, while keeping roughly the same probability as going off as Twin but without the deck manipulation.

That is helpful input. I don't imagine Tron being winnable in any case while Ad Nauseam is hardly a deck anymore. Titanbreach is a serious problem that should be answerable somehow but I'm not seeing it.

>Twin wasn't instant speed
You can activate creature abilities anytime you have priority. And with semen visions and remand you were effectively running a 52 card deck without your opening hand. Sure they didn't always draw it, but they could still win without it. You're "one card combo" is very easily disrupted and gets stopped by almost every deck

I was playing BW token, I stopped because there is too much tron where I leave
Against jund, you have ton consider that every removal they use kill 1/3rd or 1/4th of a card
Thanks to Vault of Archangel, you can kill a goyf or a kalitas with a token
Maelstrom pulse and decay are something, so you try to thoughtsize or IoK them from your opponent
Lili is dogshit in the matchup, because you can always discard ligering soul

The deck isn't bad because it loose to midrange, it is bad because it loose to everything else

The point of asking how to build tokens was so that my deck could win without drawing IC.

>You can activate creature abilities anytime you have priority.
You're a genius. Please tell me how you're casting Splinter Twin and entering combat at the end of their turn.

>Ad Nauseam is hardly a deck anymore.
???

Seriously tho, I don't see the point of the combo. Like it said the MU's that it improves(jund, junk, grixis, jeskai) are MU's that aren't really a problem for the standard BW tokens list. It does nothing to improve the aggro and combo MU. While it's a pretty cool idea, ultimately you're giving up consistency(the combo takes 5 slots) while not getting much in return. But feel free to post a rough list, maybe I'm wrong.

Lili maybe bad against the deck overall,but for the "combo" she sure as shit stops a single emrakul

You never played with or against Twin did you?

You try to kill twin while they have exarch/mite on the field? In response make a million tokens. Then your now useless removal resolves. Instant speed doesn't mean 'always on opponents turn'. It means 'literally whenever i have priority'. Look up Twin and see why it was good.

WR tokens might be a thing but your combo certainly is not. Try nahiri if you want emrakul. With tokens you can protect her AND it has haste

??????

Step 1: EOT your turn cast pestermite
Step 2: My turn cast splinter twin
Step 3: ???
Step 4: PROFIT!!!

It's literally a token deck. I'm not sure how Liliana is going to impact my board in any significant manner without a pile of additional removal to assist her.

Ad Nauseam is barely tier 2 if that, not exactly "deck to beat" status.

You're probably right though, I've got zero understanding of any of the matchups.

You have to be autistic to not understand common parlance and argue vehemently for a dictionary definition.

Splinter Twin is an enchantment. Combat is a phase that can only be moved to after the first main phase when both players pass priority in succession. These two actions share the requirements of casting a sorcery, the main phase being empty and nothing being on the stack.

Twin didn't put Twin on a Pestermite and pass, only to activate at some other time that wasn't BoC. They tapped the Pestermite and then proceeded to kill you dead.

>my turn
Thank you.

>enchantment
I legit completly forgot it wasn't a creature. But you seem to know how Twin works. So how in the hell do you not think it wasn't instant speed?

Ad Nauseam is an example of an instant speed combo. They can hold mana and blooms back and the moment it appears you can't interact with them they can combo that off, whether that be your upkeep or their EoT.

A combo that goes through combat, let alone one that requires casting an enchantment is hardly instant speed. I am aware that you may activate abilities at instant speed, but that's irrelevant for Twin's purposes.

How you don't understand that is beyond me.

A literal token that the combo literally relies on to literally kill its own tokens. It's turn 4 and with both of us killing your guys. And on my turn 4 i can pulse or decay any remaining tokens and have you sac emmy.Its a bad plan sempai. Run other cards

I forgot to mention pestermite is on turn 3.

>turn 2 any two token producing spell
>turn three any three token producing spell
So in that time you've cast four removal spells and Liliana?

Jesus Christ, user. It's like your being dense on purpose. Instant Speed doesn't mean on your opponent's turn. Instant speed means at anytime you can cast an instant. The deck didn't win instantly like AN, but the combo can be done at instant speed. Thus negating removal. Which is why twin was good. Ic is not

If your only criteria is dodging single target removal, then I don't see how IC doesn't qualify given that you can simply target two things.

>It's like your being dense on purpose
It's like you don't understand what terms actually mean, likely because you don't even play the game.

Seeing as your drawing any card you want, what happens when you draw emrakul?

4x Faithless Looting, 3x Nahiri

Come at me cunt. If all of my Jund draws by four were lands, Liliana, three bolts, an Abrupt Decay, a Thoughtseize and a Goyf, I probably wouldn't lose a single match either.

Because if your targeting two things on turn 5 now, where is your opponent that they can't deal with a turn 6 emrakul? Shit most decks have already won or lost at this point.

Instant Speed combo is a combo that can go off at instant speed. This isn't hard grasp.

And now your just salty that nobody is impressed by your 33% chance of a turn 4 emrakul.

>Dedicating 8 cards for a bad version of Jeskai
>Watering down your own decks strategy
>Not just going full aggro Mardu token ham
Wew, lewd

The come at me was mostly friendly, learn how to handle banter user.

How many decks have cards that can actually kill an Emrakul, regardless of turn? Emeria, Jund and Tron are the only ones that come to mind. Why are you so focused on turn count like I'm just playing lands and passing? My deck has threats and answers in it too, it's not like I'm neither interacting nor advancing my boardstate.

I didn't feel bad casting any of those cards in my playtesting actually. WR tokens doesn't have many other things to resolve turn 1 unfortunately.

>I probably wouldn't lose a single match

Say that to my face and not online

Turn count matters in modern, man. When Karn or Ugin comes out on turn 3, affinity is swarming the board, jund has stripped your hand, and burn has you in the red zone, turn 4 and 5 are critical points in the game. Even a bad enough dude like emrakul doesn't quite make that big of a splash. And Tron and jund are both tier 1, which means you will be facing them a lot. You might fair better with junk/abzan

As for turn 1 plays that's why Mardu tokens is getting some attention. Thoughtseizing your opponent's best answer is always a good play. Plus black gives access to fatal push.

What decks were you testing against?

What does /modern/ think of Padeem? To me, he seems like he'd be a natural fit into U-Tron, which specializes in high-cost artifacts and long grindy games.

Or Lantern Control, I guess.

It's shit.

I dunno if he does enough. Maybe, try him out and let us know

>Playin'?
Pic related
Killin it online and in paper. I'm really happy with the list. Fun too.
>Hatin'?
Nothing? Tron I guess. Damn that big robot cock.
>Makin'?
Nothing, for once. I mean I'm hunting for Delver swag but for once I'm not brewing or wasting money on meme combo decks.

Speaking of counterspell edition. I'm thinking of giving Deprive, has anyone played with Deprive?

Gutteral response is the only counterspell I run. All the others (with the exception of mana tithe) require colours that I don't play.

Its shit
>let me 2 for 1 myself and spend mana to do it
>its also a revserse timewalk
>and i have none of the traditional means blue gets for slowing my opponents down to recover from the land bounce
>pls dont dispell it btw, i have to rape my own lands no matter what

>Gutteral Response in my Burn sideboard to combat opposing Cruises.

Man, those were some spicy days.

Not that user but it looks like his deck runs on 2 lands just fine so bouncing excess lands for a hard counter actually sounds alright.
Sounds like you're thinking in the terms of a slow blue deck

>Bedlam Reveler
>Traverse the Ulvenwald
>Simic Charm

>paying 5 life for one land
user its not the curve of the deck, its that the card in question has place in this niche. This isnt path to exile this is you losing a land. There is nothing worse than missing one land drop but forcing yourself to lose a turns worth of lands is suicide in a format that can end on turn 2. Deprive is meant to be played in a deck that can take extra turns.

>bouncing a shock
>when you have 15 other targets

Dude, come on. It's not that bad. It's not GREAT, but one or two Deprive along with other counters should be alright.

I would be more worried about having UU in this kind of deck than anything else.

I find it hilarious that modern, even with actual wizards effort to constantly slow down the format is still faster than Legacy or Vintage.

Logic Knot as a one-of in a Fetch heavy shell, about once a FNM there's something I want to Leak but can't because they'll pay the 3, dropping a Leak for a single Logic Knot deals with that elegantly.

I like to get into counter wars because my deck can but otherwise I just play in to it, in Modern they run out of counters before you run out of threats.

Cryptic counterbounce is an awesome blowout when they're trying to land a wrath or something, love doing that.

>What are the best counters?
Mana Leak, Remand, Negate, Countersquall, Cryptic Command

>Mardu tokens is getting some attention.
mardu tokens isn't getting any attention. The token strategy is just not strong enough, but if you absolutely have to run tokens mardu is the best build.

Hit with Thoughtseize.

You can if you want. But its really a waste of two life and a discard. Tron just use ancient stirrings to dig for another one. A much better target would be scrying or even map. Keep them off tron as long as possible

I'd rather play delay, the game isnt going to last long enough for them to get it out of exile.
Because they keep banning things that dont increase the health of the format.

Redpill me on RG land destruction.

It's a jank killer. Real decks laugh at it

TLDR: discuss optimal counter package for modern right now

Ok. If counters are our thing here maybe you can help me out.

What's the optimal counter list to give me game across modern. Let's say I've never played blew before mostly Mardu colours.

I know what I'm building isn't optimal by the least but it's damn fun to play and doesn't auto lose to the top decks. Esper meme. So far I'm on 3 cryptic, 2 remand and bouncing between 2 and 3 spell snares (I really underestimated this cards impact on the format). I have a similar curve to grixis control maybe a touch fatter.

Post your deck or we can't help

>every win is a perfect win
excellent

>optimal counter package for modern right now
No such thing, your counter package needs to be tailored for your meta, your ideal mix of counters also depends on which deck you're running and its mana curve and colours.

What's the reasoning behind Inspiring+Emracool wincon? Besides the swag factor of course, it costs 1 more mana than grapeshot.
or is it outta the sb?

Just swag factor

Bit too high cmc for lantern and it also turns on the removal that's usually useless for the opponent, it also doesn't stop against mass artifact removal.

Nice. I like it, very creative wincon as well.

>laughingsilvergolems.jpg

I love getting matched against jank LD decks

>but Tron hates land destruction!
No, we hate getting our towers extracted. If it's only destroyed, then I can just get another one. The entire deck is designed to grab lands and slam fatty. And I guarantee that you'll run out of gas faster than I'll run out of ramp spells. Plus post sideboard I have loam and crucible depending on how I'm feeling.

Of course all of this is assuming you aren't running extraction. Which you should be in a LD deck

>play against tron with my tooth and nail
>they drop tron piece two of three and crack map for the third turn 2
>I drop blood moon
>he just looks at me in disgust
No better feeling

i haven't dropped a match to either rg or gw tron in months. i've never actually lost to u tron and nobody plays bg tron.

>not running enchantment/artifact removal
>as tron

Sounds like a bad tron pilot desu

Also, what the fuck is wrong with new captcha?

>Mardu colours
Lmao

This. It doesn't stop WoG, planeswalkers, creatures, or anger. But if you have something you absolutely need to protect on the cheap and have a versatile card against GBx and burn, look no further. It has a boatload of targets, and the fact that it doesn't stop some proactive plans is alright as long as a deck shows up that has a game winning threat in these colors. It's disgusting tempo with snapcaster.

Is UR storm back?

No, UW storm time now

How are decks like Cheerios fun for people?
Slam guy then pray he lives then drop free artifacts. There is zero play to this deck.
>Inb4 idiots give simplified definitions for other decks

The same reason anyone plays any deck: they get to have fun playing Magic.

Although, I've been golsfishing a list and either I'm really bad, or it wiffs more often than not.

>playing
>implying

What turn are you going off on, 2 or 3?
The play is all in hand selection, choosing when to go off and bluffing that you're a different deck.

It looks like it's making some kind of resurgence with Baral being a better electromancer, though I figured the probe ban would be the final nail in it's coffin.

Yeah, man, you're totally right. The 100 or so people that are here just bitch and moan about a game that they don't really play. We just like to argue about meme decks or if Tron is/isn't a control deck (it's a combo deck that plays like a control deck that's piloted by Timmys) or why a deck that 5- 0s MTGO leagues is actually shit and never actually sit down to play.

Generally turn 3 unless I have a really good hand with multiple Opals. I think i might just be doing something wrong. I don't really want to play the deck in paper, but I like to test out different decks so i know how to beat them better.

Do I have puresteel/sram? No? Mulligan
Your deck is so fragile you just go off whenever you can

Nice reading comprehension. He's implying Cheerios isn't playing magic you dumb cunt

Why are you so butt flustered my man, just stop tapping out for expedition map and you'll be fine

I'm not. Why are you so obsessed with tron?
The deck is the definition of goldfish