Revamping Yeenoghu

Long story short: I really like gnolls, particularly their 4e fluff, but Yeenoghu has always seemed a little... dull. I mean, come on, butchery is kind of what demons *do*. We already have Kostchtchie, Baphomet and Demogorgon for Wrath & Savagery-type Demon Princes.

But there's some actual mythological lore about hyenas in the real world. It's kinda /d/ related, but it made me wonder: would Yeenoghu work as a "Demon Prince of Excess"? A Slaanesh-esque figure who preaches indulgence in all pleasures - carnality, gluttony, sloth, a beast of sin who still enjoys brutal slaughter & butchery, but that's only part of his "portfolio" (excess in combat)? Maybe even throw in some aspects of Lamashtu, his Pathfinder equivalent?

Would you consider this a valid rework of Yeenoghu? How would you make him different to the bog-standard Beast of Butchery we've had for the last 5e editions? Or would you give the gnolls a new patron - Lamashtu or Baphomet, perhaps?

Also, Gnoll Thread. Post gnoll art, talk about gnolls, debate gnolls as PCs (they *have* been playable canonically since 1e's The Orcs of Thar), whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

pandius.com/svge_cst.html
mimir.planewalker.com/encyclopedia/gorellik
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For the curious, playable Gnoll stats appeared in these publications:

The Orcs of Thar (1st Edition (Basic D&D?))
The Complete Book of Humanoids (AD&D 2e)
Monster Manual 1 (3e)
Forgotten Realms - Unapproachable East (3e)
Savage Species (3e)
Dragon Magazine #367: Playing Gnolls (4e)

Since you mentioned /d/ do your female gnolls have pseudo-peni?

Eh, not necessarily. I have wondered if maybe the "Yeenoghu of Excess" interpretation might not justify him either be the literal mother of the gnoll race, or at least sporting man-tits for the same reason the Egyptian god Hapi did (symbol of his nature as a power of fertility and fecundity), but never really settled on it.

I have made gnolls into a minor fiendish race (roughly the same "power level" as tieflings), so you can technically summon and bind them through spells the way you can normal demons, though.

Yeenoghu is one of my favourite Demon Lords.

I actually like the aspect as a beast of butchery. He's also confusion and famine. Yeenoghu is the cruel hyena-god of those hot dry African days, with thin children with distended bellies from starvation. The gnolls, being hyenas, cackle and laugh in this cruelty. Those they leave in their wake sometimes trail after their bands, feeding on the scraps of the dead to become ghouls, or in turn being eaten to create more Gnolls.

Yeenoghu is associated with hyenas, gnolls, ghouls, ghasts, werehyenas, witches (hyenas akin to black cats), confusion, treachery, stupidity, cannibalism, and thieves (children born as a hyena cries)

Ernest Hemingway summed it up best for me:

"Fisi, the hyena, hermaphroditic self-eating devourer of the dead, trailer of calving cows, ham-stringer, potential biter-off of your face at night while you slept, sad yowler, camp-follower, stinking, foul, with jaws that crack the bones the lion leaves, belly dragging, loping away on the brown plain . . . "

I may be mistaken, but isn't Grazzt the demon lord of excess?

Would you put it past two demonlords to both claim the same thing and constantly try to kill each other to prove they are the real deal?

If you're the DM, you can do whatever you want. Grazzt seemed pretty laid back to me though. Except for the whole fucking-people-to-death thing.

I think that dilutes the narrative effectiveness for both.

Something like Baphomet and Yeenoghu, who both deal with beasts, don't dilute one another because they use different beasts, and they have different approaches, and different allies.

Baphomet focuses around using beasts to end civilization, where Yeenoghu uses hyenas and gnolls to feed on and confuse civilization. Baphomet tends to use corrupted domestic animals, like goats and cows/bulls. Yeenoghu uses the wild hyenas. Cults of Baphomet are like weird bestiality cults hidden in labyrinthine cities. Cults of Yeenoghu are roaming cannibals and witches.

I'd be fine with it, maybe play it up as more psychotic and manic though

Were you looking to keep Yeenoghu as an evil deity, turn them more into a multifaceted divine (even Bhaal - Lord of Murder, who went around Abeir-Toril fucking everything with a pulse with the intent of ritually sacrificing all the ensuing offspring to cheat his foretold death - was portrayed at times to be something other than a cockwaffle), or something else?

Either way, when it comes to Hyena mythology the specifics vary from region to region. In some, hyenas have been associated with blacksmithing, healing, woodcutting, love, fertility, and even bringing the sun and its light / warmth to Earth as boons. In others, hyenas are associated with thievery and graverobbing, vampirism and malicious hypnotism (in both "Look into my eyes" and pheromone flavors), and general matters of cravenness.

I play a Gnoll Bard in 5e rn, it's fun. I use this for his playable race without the bonus feats

>Bard
Meant Barb, sorry about that

Don't forget Races of the Wild for 3.5.

For my world I have Gnolls as a playable race of hyena people. Their pantheon consists of a multitude of gods and spirits, with a heavy emphasis on ancestor worship.
They worship She-is-Fiercer and the others of First Tribe, while the more degenerate and evil groups worship the Nameless, the former mate of She is Fiercer whose name was stripped from him and then exiled after he caused the death of First-Child. He was eventually found and wooed by the monstrous Lamashtu, and eventually had a single son named Yeenoghu, a psychotic perpetually starving monster who delights in eating the flesh of sapients.

He eventually gained the title of Beast of Butchery for his savage and bloody way of tearing apart his victims and eating them while they still lived. As a demon lord and partial god, he represents bloodlust and cannibalism. Its is very common for Yeenoghu worshippers to be suffering from what we know as prion diseases, which they call the Blessing of Yeenoghu.

Yeenoghu, the Nameless, and Lamashtu represent the three evil aspects of Gnoll religion. Gluttony and Wrath, Pride and Envy, Lust and Greed. Watches-the-Birds is a minor demigod and tales of his laziness and lack of work are used in morality tales against being slothful.

Honestly wouldn't the Yeenoghu problem be solved by giving the Gnolls a wider pantheon?
Like as it is all they've got to pray to are this demon, so of course they go all out on the destructive evil side of things.

If Yeenoghu had actual competition for their prayers he'd have to dial it back on the whole EVIL thing to appeal to worshippers.

I'm firmly in the camp that Gnolls are creations of Yeenoghu, they are wicked and have no gods than he. I like them closer to fiends than beastmen.

That said I do like the ideas behind Lamashtu and i'll probably user her as a Demon Lord in my campaign too.

Now im brainstorming a weird pantheon of a hot and dry dark continent. Yeenoghu, Lamashtu, and Pazuzu.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a more multifaceted divinity approach to Yeenoghu. Yeah, that kind of takes him a little out of the Demon Prince mold, but what the hell.

I mean, he's already a better patron deity than Gorellik was, just with the fluff we have.

Seriously, does anyone even remember anything about Gorellik?

Yeah, that's a thing with gnolls. Even orcs have traditionally had a whole bevvy of gods to worship; Gruumsh, Luthic, etc. Gnolls, traditionally, only have Yeenoghu or Gorellik. And he's called out as having degenerated so far he's probably going to die due to lack of worship soon, and this was back in AD&D.

Though I've never had a chance to use it in a game, I've always seen gnolls as using a mix of Yeenoghu worship, (a sorta animistic take on) demon worship, and/or ancestor worship depending on the tribe/alignment, basically instead of a pantheon like most races, for the most part gnolls are worshipers of (usually) evil "spirits" with Yeenoghu being the head honcho (or at least that's what his clerics insist)

Though I've also liked the idea of semicivilied gnolls that have moved into civilized lands/cities following a hodgepodge mix of old tribal beliefs with many of the civilized gods taking the place of the spirits/demons they used to worship and their teachings and morals interpreted through the lens of their old cultural beliefs

Hey, even Demon Princes have hobbies.

Back in AD&D 2E, when Gnolls weren't hyper-aggressive fuzzy locusts, there were a couple of examples of "semi-civilized" gnolls. Baldur's Gate has the most prominent example, the Gnolls having (presumably built and) occupied a fortification for themselves, but there was also the Al-Qadim setting (which didn't do anything officially with Gnolls but left the option on the table alongside a few other races like Ogres and Lizardmen).

Which makes for the rather humorous mental image of a Zakharan Gnoll moving up to Faerun for adventure and not understanding why every time they enter a town mothers rush their children indoors and the local militia presents their weapons rather haphazardly for inspection.

Are those Digger references?

Savage Coast, one of the unpublished Mystara supplements (it was available as rtfs on the tsr website forever and is probably still in the old stuff on Wizards' site) had the lupins, who were basically 17th century french dog people and somewhat strongly hinted to be more civilized gnolls.

I wanted to also briefly use Yeenoghu and Gnolls as a minor force, "half-an-arc" type enemy. A Flind mini-bad with a fierce magical weapon who's imposing on the big city.

If I wanted to get more information on who Yeenoghy feuds with in terms of enemy Demon lords or Archdevils?

Who could I have show up to offer the party the "easy way out" by allowing some of their minions into the material plane to match against Yeenoghu?

Sadly all the links seem to be dead

Well, 4e had a Demonomicon of Iggwilv article dedicated to Yeenoghu, and I'm not 100% sure of how this matches up with past lore, but let me see...

Traditionally, Yeenoghu's biggest rivalry is with Baphomet. The two absolutely hate each other, and they're always out to destroy one another.

In 1st and 2nd edition, Yeenoghu was the master of Doresain, Demon Prince of Ghouls, but he lost control of him in 3rd edition. This means he's constantly trying to browbeat Doresain back into submission, and could be used as evidence for a feud with Orcus.

According to 4e, Yeenoghu constantly makes pacts of allegiance with various lesser or aspirant demon princes, but always betrays (and usually eats) them; princelings that either escaped his betrayal with their life or who're smart enough to realize betraying him first is the best choice may be willing to discretely aid adventurers opposed to the Beast of Butchery.

In 4e, Graz'zt is noted for frequently manipulating Yeenoghu like a pawn when he needs the raw savagery of the Beast for his own ends.

Likewise, 4e states that "none of Yeenoghu's peers trust him, and few respect him".

I'm not sure of any other finer details beyond that in editions past.

This guy gets it.

Read Hemingway's "The Hyena".

I'm a supporter of a pantheon.

You could have:
Lhamastu, goddess of fecundity and motherhood (in their savage form)
Gorelick, the hunter god, who also governs lycanthropy with were hyenas (and hyenadons/dire hyenas)
Doresain, god of hunger, ghouls, death, and cannibalism. All holy to Gnolls.
And Yeenoghu, lord of war, the butcher, god of slaughter, who created the world by butchering the primordial world. All life is parasites upon the corpse, and only Gnolls are the True People.

Shit

pandius.com/svge_cst.html

This site has the main subsetting book.

Here's an interesting take on gnolls for the Pathfinder Third Party setting of Midgard. Incidentally gnolls gained a playable version for PF in Advanced Race Guide. On Golarion they reside within the deserts and warm plains of Casmaron and Garund (notArabia and notAfrica respectively). Near the city of Katapesh is the largest concentration of them, so great are their numbers they have an entire district, Dog Town, as their own. There they make trade as slavers and mercenaries.

Yeenoghu has always been a pretender to that particular aspect. The earliest lore places them as creations of Gorellik, a hyena god of the hunt, who are then stolen by Yeenoghu. And I loath the 5e lore that makes them fiendish monsters with no redeeming qualities. It is a strong break from past lore, and severely limits what can be done with them.

Yes. I love that comic.

Bump for the demon prince

I wouldn't mind their abyssal heritage if they did something more interesting with it.

Also, the complete change to Flinds and their alignment was crap.

>oh a gnoll thread how long before pseudo peen is talked aba-oh that was fast.

Have you considered Lamashtu? That's kind of her deal.

>I play a Gnoll Bard

MY MAN!

I point you towards , where they actually did try and do something more interesting with gnolls than they had in the last 3 editions.

Seriously, 4e caught a lot of flak for its crunch, but they really tried to go somewhere new with its fluff, and they came up with a lot of good shit.

>Mentioned all of once

>Yeenoghu has always been a pretender to that particular aspect. The earliest lore places them as creations of Gorellik, a hyena god of the hunt, who are then stolen by Yeenoghu. And I loath the 5e lore that makes them fiendish monsters with no redeeming qualities. It is a strong break from past lore, and severely limits what can be done with them.

I argue that Gorellik is the hyena god yes, but Gnolls are a coruption of the hyena, and not something natural to them. Gorellik is more like an animal totem.

I prefer them as fiendish monsters with no redeeming qualities. It's evocative and telling of the land they're in. It's unforgiving, it's maddening, it's famine.

I don't need shades of grey in my beastmen. I prefer them wicked corruptions of animals than natural things in existence. I like them more as Warhammer Beaastmen or the Broo from Glorantha.

You think it's good shit, I see it as taking the teeth out of the concept.

>All Yeenoghu tribes have dedicated "spirit breakers" that specialize in physically and psychologically torturing prisoners, with the aim of creating docile slaves. Those who can't be broken are eaten in front of the others for added torture, and those who are broken are eaten eventually anyway.
>They will sometimes allow prisoners to escape just to be able to relish hunting them down again, using mimicry to misdirect and trap, tricking prisoners into thinking there's hope just to savor breaking them again
>that entire opening quote

Less teeth, yet sharper bite I would say

Yeenoghu already has a precedence with slaves. His vessel/throne on his Abyssal Plane is dragged by legions of slaves.

So that can still be there without taking the teeth out of Yeenoghu.

It's the detail that enhances it

See if you can hire Xiombarg's Storyteller to write you gnolls IMO.

>Demon and God
If we are talking Dungeons and Dragons I feel it's important to point their is vast difference between Gods and Demon Lords BUT Yeenoghu lack his Abyssal buddy Orcus are the two that straddle the line Between Divinity and Demonhood.

One of the big things on the major scope is that Yeenoghu (And Orcus) gain many many (but not all) of the divine perks that Gods gain, and aren't shackled to the consequences and responsibilities that God are.

>Excess and Slaanesh
As constructively as I can say this: I feel you are are stressing too far for something that doesn't make sense
Or you just want Lamashtu IN the D&D world (Which you do not need to wish for because Dragon Magazine gave us Piazo's Lamashtu prior to Pathfinder's Launch),
Or you are not very well read on the abyss. We already HAVE a Slaanesh in D&D: Malcanthet, fuck we have FOUR Lady Lynkhab, Shami-Amourae, Xinivrae. At least two of them are indistinguishable from the 40k god.

>The previous Gnoll God
An aspect I love to focus on Yeenoghu is where he got his worshippers from. He stole them, or drained them it's a little unclear. While Yeenoghu has be around since time primordial, the Gnoll's had a previous god Gorelick. A God of Savagery and the Hunt.
Under previous management it's been suggested we even had more or less good gnolls that honored the hunt and good hunters above all else.
You-know-who jealous soley because Gnolled visually looked the same as him stole Gorelick's power, and plunged his realm into the abyss.

>Cont.
If I were doing some revamping on Yeenoghu's protfoilo, Savagery, Blood, and the Hunt, yes.
But I'd added in some call backs to how he stole his power in the first place, like his High Shaman's are taught to greedily want more and over take other clans.

I'd make it so one could not take an object from a favored of Yeenoghu. All stolen item magically end up back in the favored's possession and one most challenge and fight the favored to show who is strong enough to own the Mcguffin.
Yeenoghu's clerics unlike other demonic cults, are able to channel his power with easy without requiring the over complicated ceremonies that most demon lords need.

Yeenoghu's Presence and power is a corrupting influence on Gnoll's turning many of them evil and demonic. Not that you couldn't have a good gnoll, but the Savage Lord's power is very enticing.

Going to mostly just focus on the last line, but in other words (re:Very enticing and corrupting influence) if Yeenoghu were a Warlock pact Gnolls would be put on the shortlist for approval. Furthermore, similar to how people have been recorded getting "caught up" in the moment / situation in large groups, the same happens with Gnolls, but those dedicated to Yeenoghu require much fewer present (possibly even well below the normal threshold) to enthrall their kin in the same effect and can leave a stain that doesn't fade even once the Yeenoghu dedicant is gone?

>If we are talking Dungeons and Dragons I feel it's important to point their is vast difference between Gods and Demon Lords BUT Yeenoghu lack his Abyssal buddy Orcus are the two that straddle the line Between Divinity and Demonhood.

I prefer to skirt that line as much as possible. Far more interesting that way.

This isn't true though, they have their own deity in Gorellik or however you spell it. But his divinity has suffered encroachment from Yeenoghu.

>This isn't true though, they have their own deity in Gorellik or however you spell it. But his divinity has suffered encroachment from Yeenoghu.

And I find that dumb. Gorellik is a hyena-god. Gnolls are corrupted hyenas. Why would Gorellik approve of them when they're corruptions of his chosen?

Gnolls *weren't* explicitly corrupted hyenas in the first place *until* 4e presented that as *one* possible origin for them. In AD&D, they were simply a primal tribe of humanoid hyenas who fell under the sway of a demon prince due to the disinterest shown them by their own patron deity, similar to the scenario with the lizardfolk, and that continued into 3e.

Gorellik is the chief god and ancient god of the gnolls, mimir.planewalker.com/encyclopedia/gorellik
Apart from gnolls, he's also the god of hunting, hyenas and hyaenodons.

Not sure why you seem to think he's only a god of hyenas.

Look. I don't care about canon.

I prefer my beastmen unnatural and wrong.

I prefer Gorellik as a hyena animal-god.

I prefer Yeenoghu being a corruptor, making hyenas into gnolls.

I prefer my gnolls to have a fiendish origin.

these will always be my alternate gnoll deities in games I run.

You are in your right to prefer your own special headcannon, but to call the fact that Gorellik is a gnoll god dumb is fucking retarded.

>but to call the fact that Gorellik is a gnoll god dumb is fucking retarded.

Not if I think it is, and i'm going to speak my mind.

Gorellik is an abyssal power you dumb piece of shit. Gnolls are already fiendish in origin.

No one fucking cares what you think. Stay autistic.

>thread about peoples thoughts on Yeenoghu and gnolls
>gets mad when someone expresses their opinion on them

To casually dismiss it out of hand just goes to show what a complete shit you are. Stay mad autistic retard.

>Gorellik is an abyssal power

That's just as dumb. I think Gorellik belongs in the Beastlands or Beastlands equivalent.

See Stay mad you autistic fuck.

>To casually dismiss it out of hand just goes to show what a complete shit you are.

Why would I consider ideas I think are stupid?

>what you think is of course what the majority thinks.

No?

It actually seems that you're hostile to ideas that aren't what the majority thinks, or what it already a preconceived canon?

In a thread about revamping something, that's incredibly stupid to do.

You could phrase things in less of an overbearing autistic way. You can do this. I believe you can.

I'm not going to mince words for you.

>Far more interesting that way.
Beg to differ. When everything is the same it is boring, but to each his own user.

>When everything is the same it is boring
I agree there but I don't see how the line between God and Demon being skirted denotes that?

I don't see how something like Lolth is anything like Yeenoghu.

Your idea is shit though, you need to come up with a less retarded one.

>Your idea is shit though, you need to come up with a less retarded one.

Well that's your opinion which I disagree with. Why do you think it's shit?

It's been done so much it's become cliche.

I never claimed it was original.

Again, it's my preference for Beastmen to be closer to Warhammer Fantasy or the Broo, then a mere anthropomorphic version of animals. I find this kind of depiction is more resonant with mythology, which is something I like to emphasize in my games.

You're giving too little credit to what the designers already intended them to be, and claiming that it hasn't been done before. That's retarded.

>You're giving too little credit to what the designers already intended them to be,

No? I've read it and while I like some things, I don't like others. 4e is the closest to what I do like, and find Gnolls rather ineffectual before then.

>and claiming that it hasn't been done before

No i'm not? I am claiming that it's becoming an unpopular depiction because people are obsessed with this shades of grey mentality for their games.

I am rejecting this mentality in my games.

>No? I've read it and while I like some things, I don't like others. 4e is the closest to what I do like, and find Gnolls rather ineffectual before then.
That's bullshit.

>No i'm not? I am claiming that it's becoming an unpopular depiction because people are obsessed with this shades of grey mentality for their games.

>I am rejecting this mentality in my games.
This is also bullshit. Gnolls in their previous depictions were unquestionably evil, as per Gorellik who is a CE abyssal power.

I actually think I prefer the hyper-violent gnolls of 5e.

>This is also bullshit. Gnolls in their previous depictions were unquestionably evil, as per Gorellik who is a CE abyssal power.

No it's not bullshit. They may have been evil, but they were ineffectual evil.

They now have a very evocative place.

How were they ineffectually evil? Because you thought so and said so aren't reasons, they're bullshit.

Well in AD&D 1e, they're just another sort of orc with dumb art. Yeenoghu, despite being described as one of the most powerful and more feared Demon Lords, looks like a gay dog man. That said the shoosuva and ghuuna were cool.

AD&D 2e they've gotten a bit better with a distinct diet of warm-blooded intelligent humanoids, but still nothing that stands out beyond the cool Ecology of the Flind article.

3rd Edition was just more the same again, except the flind which became more brutish.

4th edition ramped it up with it's great variety of gnolls, and the strong fiendish ties to Yeenoghu and demons and death, this has extended into 5th edition.

You're basing off whether they were ineffectual or effectual on art?
Are you a fucking retard?

Nope.

I'm a very visual person. Art does more for me then description most of the time, and the narrative effectiveness of something depends on it's imaginability, which in turn is married to it's art.

You're still a fucking retard. You don't decide on the effectualness of something based on its art if its description says otherwise.
What kind of absolute retard does that?

Not everyone absorbs information and finds attraction and inspiration in the same things as you do.

An absolute retard expects otherwise.

Then your point of them being ineffectual in their previous iterations is irrelevant and based on flawed "reasoning".

I don't see how?

They've been ineffectual in the past to me, and in their current incarnation they aren't.

My reasoning is just as valid as yours, even more valid considering it relates to how they're depicted in my games.

You can see this as shallow or stupid, but at this point I don't care. It's clear we have entirely different creative processes.

Because you see them already being what you think they are based on your retarded logic, when objectively it's not the case.

I like gnolls in Eberron. The whole "distant gods/sealed great demons" thing allots them savage bands, but there's also a large conglomeration of them that has agreed to curb their more ravenous instincts and cults to form the greatest pack in history; which is based in Droaam, a wilderness country of monsters and outcasts managed by a hag coven, and they are distributed as mercenaries through the Dragonmarked House Tharask, which is composed of half-orcs, humans, and orcs who are used to finding "tolerant" clients.
I have no good art, so have something that could be a good gnoll head base.

>But there's some actual mythological lore about hyenas in the real world. It's kinda /d/ related, but it made me wonder: would Yeenoghu work as a "Demon Prince of Excess"? A Slaanesh-esque figure who preaches indulgence in all pleasures - carnality, gluttony, sloth, a beast of sin who still enjoys brutal slaughter & butchery, but that's only part of his "portfolio" (excess in combat)? Maybe even throw in some aspects of Lamashtu, his Pathfinder equivalent?

I think concentrating on hunger/gluttony works better with a desire for other carnal pleasures up to and including a desire to consume the lives of others/oneself as a byproduct.

That ties them with scavenger hyenas and ghuls, with which they're commonly associated.

>I think concentrating on hunger/gluttony works better with a desire for other carnal pleasures up to and including a desire to consume the lives of others/oneself as a byproduct.
Y'know, I actually really like that, a focus on metaphorical (and not so metaphorical) devouring of others

I like it, works with their current lore as cannibalistic monsters and as slave taker
And my own idea for a good gnoll based on the old idea of a sin eater

Also it wouldn't surprise me if gnolls like this would have some REALLY nasty things like rituals fueled by or that empower them the caster by consuming souls

Same here. Guess who Sweetgrass Voice is in my campaign setting? Pazuzu PFs version since he fits really well. I really like mixing Digger lore and D&D lore together, it often mixes quite well.

Hmm, how's this:

Gorelick, lord of Hyenas mated with Lhamashtu, mother of monsters, and birthed Yeenoghu. A monstrous thing half-monster, half-hyena.

He tore himself free from his mother, turned his father into his pet, and fathered the race of Gnolls with his mother.

Yeenoghu, along with his mother, and her lover Pazuzu, taught the gnolls the arts of civilization, such as slavery and necromancy.

In the wastes the gnolls raised city states along the few rivers, enslaving other humanoids to build and labour, as they practised the arcane secrets of their demonic gods (in D&D terms, they were warlocks.)

The cities were much like parodies of mesopotamian civilization. And eventually fell to slave uprisings and invasion by other races, who scattered the gnolls, reducing them to barbarism.

I do wonder how the fall of their empire affected their cultural outlook but other than that great

I imagine it divided them.

The majority still follow Yeenoghu, hate the lesser races for their "betrayal," and seek to destroy their civilizations in turn, and enslave them once more.

There's Lhamashtu and Pazuzu's broods who tend to skulk in ruined places, trying to reclaim their secrets and forge new demonic pacts.

And you'd end up with Goreliik's packs, even more savage than most, they're ruled by were-hyenadon Ghuuna, and live far out in the wilderness, scorning the civilization which they see as having made them soft and weak.

PC Gnolls could still emerge, although they're more likely to be secretive Lhamashtu witches and warlocks seeking power from the strange-non Gnoll forces of the world; or Goreliik savages seeking to find a new way.

In any case they're still driven by the hunger and violence that is their birthright. A Gnoll would love things like barroom brawls -- although they'd have to have it explained that you're not meant to use weapons or kill your opponents.

Lawful Evil Flind dump.