What's the appeal of revolvers?

What's the appeal of revolvers?
Why are they so much cooler than regular handguns?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f6bpSliLcT4
youtube.com/watch?v=qQs7Wonu9NI
youtu.be/tRnAXr_CLYk?t=28s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're bigger.

they just work

HIGH NOON

thanks for the input

Reliable given good ammunition.

See revolver ocelots speech about them in mgs1 and 3

They never jam

They are iconic of a specific era and culture

They have the same disadvantages that require skill to overcome and are charming like bolt action rifles vs semi auto, single action vs double action or semi auto, reloading a cylinder vs a magazine

There's a reason all the cool revolver users feature single action hammer fanning and never use revolver moon clips to reload

I don't get one thing, in comics McCree recognize Talon tactics as Blackwatch, but it was secret organization inside Overwatch, was he memeber of Blackwatch?

It's called cultural buildup.
The Wild Wild West was a piece of culture which made cowboys and revolvers seem the coolest.
Hollywood then revived that idea, in strength.
And so it continues.
In reality, revolvers can often be outclassed by most pistols in terms of power, but how cool they are is personal opinion in the end.

Revolvers, most specifically the Colt - notice how rarely other revolvers are really represented otherwise - were greatly popularized by cowboy movies and shows. The Colt looks good.

They're classic - not as old as flintlocks, but with more of a history than more modern pistols, and they're still feasible to use today and possibly far into the future.

Also, big long barrels.

Romantic connotations with the Old West.

Basically they're the American katana but without the skub.

Reliable; dependable, powerful. What's not to like? Also plenty of stories and films relating to cowboys and the American Old West depict the hero with said gun, so it's got a kind of mythical status as the default weapon of choice for characters in a western.

They give an illusion of old timey simplicity when they're actually more mechanically complex than early semi automatics and were only really kept in service due to cultural inertia after the invention of poudre B and other high quality gunpowders.

Yes, McCree was a Blackwatch operative, trained by Reyes/Reaper himself.

He's also the most gimped hero in the game.

Remember when McCree could destroy tanks with his right click?
youtube.com/watch?v=f6bpSliLcT4

Yes.

Mccree was a criminal member of the notorious Deadlock gang, which got busted by Overwatch in its early days. The mission leader was Gaberial Reyes, the man who would one day become Reaper, who took a shine to young Mccree. See, Reyes was putting together a special task force inside Overwatch called Blackwatch, which did Overwatch's dirty work in the shadows while everyone else played hero in the public eye. The offer was simple: Mccree works for Blackwatch and lends them his talents, and he doesn't go to jail.

Mccree actually saw this as a chance for redemption, the poor bastard, and he was Reyes's protege for years. He thought he was doing good work and finally being a good person.

Eventually, Overwatch gets torn apart from within as Reyes makes his power play, at this point already working for Talon to destroy Overwatch from within. When the lines were drawn in the sand, Mccree chose neither. He wouldn't destroy Overwatch because he actually believed in the mission now, but he wouldn't fight his friend and mentor either. He just... left.

Which leaves him in a real shitty situation now. He is a former criminal whose only voucher for good behavior got shut down and became illegal. No one on the Talon side of thinsg likes him because he didn't join up. No one on the Overwatch side of things can trust him because he was so close to Reyes and he didn't stick around to help. He is a pariah on all sides.

Now he's got a peashooter that can miss enemies by a micron and a worthless ult.

Huh, that's pretty neat lore.

>all those zoomins and video editing on some of the worst ults I've ever seen
This guy must've been devastated when the nerf went through and he couldn't kill everything in a single right click anymore.

>No one on the Overwatch side of things can trust him
Ana, Mercy?

Simple, there's nothing quite like the feel of sliding a long a hard bullet into a well oiled chamber, awaiting to explore in a great burst at a moment's notice

It's basically one of the same reasons why many people, myself included, Al son like shooting bolt-action rifles

Yes, now only Roadhog kills everything in a single click.

>cooler than regular handguns
pleb taste, space gun or no gun
in before mateba or chiappa, they're shit

Manurhins are fine then?

That's not widowmaker.

McCree can actually do okay with his flashbangs. He isn't the tankbuster he used to be, but he does solid damage at decent range and has a couple useful abilities, with an ult that can kill a lot of people if you use it right.

Widowmaker does exactly one thing: reward headshots. Her mobility is okay, but she isn't the only one who can do that. Her poison mine is a fucking joke. Its only useful as a burglar alarm, and since it only covers a specific area its not even a reliable one. And her gun in assault mode is the gentle scratches of a declawed kitten. And her Ultimate provides a team-wide tactical advantage, which only swings things if your team is smart enough/in a good position to take advantage of it. If you were not a good enough shot to make Widow good in the first place, her ult isn't going to help you much.

If you have the scope fully charged and you land headshots, you can kill most non-tank characters. But your body shots and rate of fire are pathetic, so you have a very narrow band between being an uberhax team carrying sniper and a complete deadweight who ends the game with 0 elims. Out of all of the characters in the game, only Widowmaker forces you to play her in exactly one way with enough skill to do great constantly or tells you to go fuck yourself.

And the 'range advantage' of Widowmaker honestly rarely matters. Most levels don't have the wide open spaces that Widow needs to excel, and at those ranges he can easy get gibbed by 'characters with 'weaker' distance. A 76 at extreme range with good accuracy and his missiles can kill a Widowmaker from full health in the time it takes her scope to charge for the next shot. She only has the 'advantage' if she is already scoped in and gets to shoot first, and of course lands a head shot.

good taste but not spacey enough

>now only Roadhog kills everything in a single click.
>see the Road is going to hook me
>prees Shift
>he is hooking me ones and trying to oneshot
>hearing "Maximum charge!" in headphones

Ana I don't know. She was Jack's right hand, and wasn't a member of Blackwatch. I'm not sure how well she knew McCree beyond reputation, and she was shot in the head by Widowmaker (its how she lost her eye) so she probably isn't a fan of anyone she sees as Talon affiliated.

Mercy is perhaps idealistic enough to give anyone a second chance, but that isn't the same as trusting him or wanting him around.

They inspire the image you posted. The wild west is iconically and classically American, where everyone was free, and you lived by the speed of the trigger. It's a good fantasy to have, and this is compounded by the western movies, comics, and games. Everyone wants to be Clint Eastwood, and the first step is the gun.

If you ever watched the finale of A Fistfull of Dollars, it shows perfectly why the revolver captures the imagination more than any other weapon at that time.

All this talk of revolvers and six-shooters makes me want to run a western game. Live by the gun, die by the gun, all that good stuff.

Overwatch actually has some really nice bits to it. You just don't normally hear about it because of waifus and the fact that the game is a multiplayer brawl instead of a story based campaign.

It would make for a great ongoing comic or cartoon. There is a lot you can do with the setting and characters.

Ana and McCree have pretty friendly interactions in game.

>McCree: It's an honour fightin' by your side, ma'am.
>Ana: Oh, you always were a charmer.

Aesthetics. That's literally it. Tactically there's almost no reason to take a revolver over a handgun if the setting takes place anytime after 1896, wherein the Mauser C96 and the advent of semi-automatic handguns became widely available.

This seems mostly like speculation. I don't think there's been any confirmation about Reyes working for Talon besides Chu being a dipshit and saying the Reaper codename had been around since before OW closed.

Huh. I stand corrected, then.

Two clicks minimum actually.

jesus not only the damage but the disgusting lack of fall off. Repeatedly killing people from beyond medium range with it.

I've played one before. Not literally a western, but the setting had many of the themes. We had spell slinging bandits and shit like that. I don't remember much, since I had to drop out fairly early on, but I was really interested.

i love revolver rifles

Yeah, there hasn't really been any confirmation of him working for Talon prior to going after Morrison, and most just attribute his attempt at a power play to being the fall-guy with the public and also being the one who wasn't given the full Overwatch Commander status, which Morrison- who was actually beneath him during the Omnic Crisis- got.

He's definitely working for Talon now that he's full-edgelord Reaper, as this has been confirmed in comics and video shorts.

Obviously, though even then he seems to be more of a contractor that works closely with them. Rather than a straight up employee/property like Widowmaker.

Revolvers make a great survival side arm. If I were alone in the wilderness for an extended amount of time, I would want a revolver. Simplicity and reliability are a must in that situation. For self defense, I have a CCW permit, I would not trade my Taurus 9mm with it's double stack magazine for anything else.

>The offer was simple: Mccree works for Blackwatch and lends them his talents, and he doesn't go to jail.
Not exactly, he became member of Blackwatch later, in comics he and Reyes celebrating Halloween with the rest of Overwatch

exotic weapon thread

> Reyes having fun
Probably non-canon.

Mercy isn't even idealistic enough to give Overwatch a second chance.

At the time, Blackwatch was still part of Overwatch. I'm sure they got invited to office parties.

Yeah- he and Sombra seem to be just mercenaries whose goals are achievable with some help from Talon. Mostly the revenge part for Reaper. Sombra's end-goal is weird and uncertain.

Also, Doomfist when?

Fuck yeah. An evil omnic would be the shit. Especially if he is just a regular bad guy in it to make cash.

Considering that there is a group pic of the overwatch crew during the glory days, in which both McCree and Reyes are wearing their blackwatch gear, it can be assumed that inside of the headquarters that everyone was cool.

Revolvers are actually not simple. You basically need to be a watchmaker to figure out the damn mechanisms if they break.

I'm not so sure about that.

The lore on him that calls him a mercenary is written from the perspective of someone who doesn't know who he really works for. They attribute him showing up all over the world to him working a bunch of jobs for different employers in different battles, rather than serving a single organization with global reach.

Like, that blurb doesn't even own up to him being Reyes, and only hints at him having a grudge with Overwatch in specific.

Hardly reliable info.

I wish. We need more Omnic characters, I'm tired of Mahatma Gandhi v2.0 and 'Nam Flashback-atron.

I want one who likes fighting.

But user, all omnics are evil.

WE DINDU BEEP BOO

>That fucking spy in the background

I just really like the idea of a literal race traitor as a bad guy. Someone willing to sell out their entire species because it will make them bank. That seems like a really compelling douchebag to me.

If I remember correctly zenyatta was a lot more aggressive than mondata. His brothers death helped mellow him out

Well, he was aggressive in that he literally just wanted to go beat up bad guys, not wanted to go light a fire in a trash can and stick up a liquor store.

I really like the way that Overwatch approached the whole AI thing

>Ultra-high-tech robots are made
>Gain sentience
>Go apeshit over being made to serve
>Humans send in the superhumans to fix things
>Don't even properly win, just kill enough shit to get some Omnics (the monks and some shut down omniums) to sign a peace treaty

Also I want to know what Australia looks like now. I also want to know if everyone who belongs to the Junkers has a name like Roadhog and Junkrat, where it's basically a megaman x/metal gear solid naming convention

Wait, wasn't a couple of Los Muertos thugs beating the shit out of a Omnic in the 76 trailer? What would an Omnic even have to do to join a gang that openly hates and targets Omnics specifically?

You gotta be the baddest motherfucker in the room. How much damage do you think an Omnic could do if he decided to not be a bitch?

Beat the shit out of enough of the gang members?

Los Muertos kick your ass! Los Muertos kick your face!

Actually, they created hyper-intelligent super-AIs to make and control the dumber regular ones but they went rogue. So then they killed/contained the super-AIs and the regular ones were left. Turns out they're basically just people.

Be hard as fuck and live in a neighbourhood where people care less. I'm sure the people actually in charge of Los Meurtos don't give a fuck so long as you sell their drugs and send back their cut.

>In reality, revolvers can often be outclassed by most pistols in terms of power
Other way around. Revolvers can be made to hold much more powerful rounds than semi auto pistols. They just get outclassed in terms of magazine capacity, width of profile and ease of reloading.

Also, stopping power is basically a meme so you don't need a huge ass 45-70 or even really a 45.

Beyond stopping power being a myth, .45 is a dinky little round compared to any magnum, basically anyone who puts them into a different category than 9mm or .40 is either uninformed or an idiot.

People like revolvers because of how they look and the romanticized feel about them. Everything most people know about revolvers is a meme. Semi-automatics are almost always superior to revolvers in almost every situation.

You do when you're in grizzly country and don't want to carry around a shotgun.

By the math used to prove stoppan powah, throwing a baseball should have about as much stoppan powah as getting hit by a full power rifle.

youtube.com/watch?v=qQs7Wonu9NI

OOh nice. That guy's channel is my fetish.

Larger calibers for larger creatures is actually more about adequate penetration than stopping power.

>throwing a baseball should have about as much stoppan powah as getting hit by a full power rifle
topkek

As far as I know, getting hit by a baseball thrown by an MLB pitcher would actually kill you if it hit you in the head.

Because anyone who doesn't like revolvers has forgotten the face of their father.

It'd kill you if it hit the right spots on your chest too. They wear helmets for a reason.

In everday speech, we just call it "The WILD West", not "The Wild Wild West".

The Wild Wild West is a movie, not an era.

>people talking about how you don't need stopping power
All you fucks petitioning for smaller and easier to kill guns are going to be FUCKED with the superbugs show up and you need to kill them with inches wide slugs of metal and pilebunkers.

Reliability. Old-school revolvers are very hardy.
Power. Because it doesn't use any gas to push back a slide and chamber another round, you get a little more power.

youtu.be/tRnAXr_CLYk?t=28s
so if a pitch can kill you, the returns gotta be a whole lot worse.

They're just more fun to shoot.

Luckily DARPA has developed anti-dragon weaponry with their MAHEM project.

now can it be put in an oversized revolver?

complete edgelords that can't accept a 15 round semi automatic is 100% more effective than a 6 shooter.

> DARPA mixes project MAHEM with a revolver.
> A revolver that shoots metal that flash heats into molten metal whose velocity shapes it into a spear which then hardens mid -air.

no, see, edgelords like a bunch of disposable shotguns, not six shooters or 15 rounders.

You mean with far more autistic and screaming fandom?

It's not that McCree is untrustworthy, he's burned.

Anyone in the know is pretty sure he's trustworthy; they just can't convince anyone else, which is kinda a big deal if you want to make use of his talents.

It was before the edge suppressants he was given by the medical staff dried up along with Overwatch funding.

If they break.

An well maintained revolver will not fail until it's abused or literally wears out.

Bolt action, Revolver, Spike Bayonet: The trifecta of "You'll break before I do"

The base model doesn't seem to be built particularly high above human specifications.

Reminds me of the Freefall robots. Sure, terraforming robots can take a bounding and move giant slabs of concrete but most are just made of cheap plastic and aluminium that a human could break without tools, not to mention that they lack organic movement abilities.

As for omnics.. sort of depends how much they've made their shell. Can't imagine many decide to buy particularly tough casings unless they live in a rough area. And military grades have GOT to be heavily regulated considering the setting.

This post gave me an aneurysm

t. /k/

I actually had a campaign that had a bit of westerny themes in it. that was my first experience gming. sadly mid-way the campaign I realized that I don't really like gming as much as I like worldbuilding and coming up with game mechanics, so the campaign kinda fell apart. I had the most fun coming up with these unique loot items for the players

I'm learning programming now so maybe I can put my worldbuilding fantasies into a classic isometric 2d top-down RPG some day

>a movie
Millenial detected.

Back in my day they were called "talkies"

Revolvers are significantly less reliable than bolt actions, although it depends. Modern revolvers are even more overengineered than semiautos.

>revolver thread
>no one post a ocelot image