Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Food Edition:

How much food has your character eaten in one sitting? How often do feasts occur? Does the raw wealth of adventuring changed your tastes in food?

>HELPFUL TIP: If you want to ask for advice or information on a build or character, explain what sources (1st- and 3rd-party) are allowed and if you already have a theme or concept in mind.

Unified /pfg/ link repository:pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2:docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1:docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2:docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3:docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/LaNVLaYJ
pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Urgraz
d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warder/warder-archetypes/fiendbound-marauder-warder-archetype
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gauntlets-irongrip
d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-tiefling
d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis/astral-suits#TOC-Augmented-Weapon
d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/archetypes-for-non-martial-classes/aegis---initiating-customizations
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My character only eats as pleasure and as a hobby since he has a ring of sustenance. However modern restaurant culture is defined by a few odd factors not present in all settings.

Damnit forgot the old thread

OK, I'm working on a Dwarven Herald Caller Cleric. CN, worshipper of Cthulhu (CE). Dark Tapestry Subdomain of Void Domain

Ability scores (With Dwarf bonuses) are 7, 8, 15, 7, 20, 14

I've got a handle on everything but I have concerns with feat progression.

At current, I've planned
Antihero Feat- Improved Initiative
Level 1- Summon Neutral Monster
Level 3- Expanded Summon Monster
Level 5-Evolved Summon Monster
7- Toughness
9-Sacred Summons
11- Skill Focus: Perception
13- Proxy Summoning.

Other feats I might want are Selective Channeling, Combat casting, and Spell Expertise minor and Major for Summon Monster.

I do notice that because of Herald Caller's limitations, I can't summon ANYTHING from the Summon Monster 1 list.

How might I improve feat progression?
I should note that I get Augment Summoning and Superior Summoning for free
and am treated as having Spell Focus (Conjuration) for the purposes of Evolved Summon Monster
I may ditch Skill Focus, and slip in Minor Spell Expertise

Is sky pirates dead or something? GM doesn't seem to have made an appearance in a week.

He's already made his choice and no longer gives a shit about the new applicants hasn't he?

Im about to run my first 3.P game ever. I'm an experience 3.5 player, but pathfinder is new to me. What rules should I use form pathfinder and what rules should I leave 3.5? Also, any general advice. I'm going to legalize everything except pathfinder tier one (since I think they are marginally stronger than in 3.5). thoughts?

>PF
Pretty much everything
>3.5
Spells, feats, archetypes

>PF tier 1
>Stronger than 3.5
Have you seen the wizard school abilities in 3.5?

Man, the evil iconics are way more interesting than the good iconics. They even have an example of Chaotic Evil done right, a surprise coming from Paizo.

>CE done right
Is it the qt bald inquisitor?

Consider the following: Wisdom determines Initiative, and Charisma determines Will saves.

This makes Dex less powerful, Wis less powerful, and gives Cha something to do. Justified with Wisdom already governing your perceptions and reactions (sense motive,) while the force of personality part of Charisma makes it fit will saves easily.

Yeah. His set up could let him function in a group that's otherwise strictly good.

I haven't read through all of them yet but it feels like most of the evil iconics could justifiably play in a regular good campaign in-character. The same isn't even true of all the regular iconics, who don't seem to get much story and have goals that'd conflict with each other.

Regarding the Avowed's new changes: Particularly Aether Duelist on pure-pulse-damage weapon forms: Half damage + less than 2x the hits = damage nerf, before including the accuracy drop.
PA/DA don't apply to touches after all, and even 1/3 level to pulse FCBs won't catch up on its own either if you have it for your species as shown in here.

Here's numbers for regular and duelist at 6 and regular/IWFduelist at 12.

pastebin.com/LaNVLaYJ

Can I get a name or a link to the character?

pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Urgraz

He's statted in the 5th Hell's Rebels book. The two Neutral Evils are really good too, though the Tiefling might have more trouble fitting into a good group and the Dhampir might be a bit waifu-baity for some people's tastes.

>Duergar Antipaladin
>Literally -4 to Charisma
Oh, paizo.

Okay, so this isn't "mine" but I'm interested to hear your thoughts. My player is proposing this for his upcoming character and thematically/mechanically, I think it sounds neat as heck.

d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warder/warder-archetypes/fiendbound-marauder-warder-archetype
>Path of War goodness, basically summon a stand to punch things + maneuvers
>reach w/ no blind spot
>but modest 1d8 damage w/ spiked gauntlet
Now...

d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gauntlets-irongrip
>large sized, 2d6

d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-tiefling
>Variant ability 16
>huge sized, 3d6

d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis/astral-suits#TOC-Augmented-Weapon
>gargantuan sized, 4d6

Additionaly,
d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/archetypes-for-non-martial-classes/aegis---initiating-customizations
Initiator's soul for obvious reasons and "free" flight is an option from customization.

Thoughts? Is it legit?

The archetype is nothing but grapple rules. They are notoriously convoluted and for most of your enemies, I bet they're not going to have a stellar CMB. If they, and I'm sure they will, pick up Throat Slicer, you're going to see enemies drop within two rounds that you never expected to see fail so fast.

My advice, protect your important enemies with Freedom of Movement, if you approve of it all. It's not a bad build. Quite the opposite. I'm just saying this archetype has given me a lot of headache in the past.

*CMD

Pretty sure Irongrip Gauntlets don't allow you to generate larger sized Fiend's Grips. Besides that, it all works, so long as you as the GM are willing to approve the variant tiefling ability (Given that's a table meant to be rolled on)

If you are who I think you are, then I am the cause of those headaches, and I am still so sorry.

Eh I thought you were talking about the inquisitor.

Bah, it's cool. We all had a hell of a time figuring out "Oh shit wait this is incredibly borked to hell". I just wound up slapping grapple immunity on that mini boss I linked before. You tested me without knowing it and I sure as fuck wasn't ready, so I'm learning to be more ready.

Custom weapons. Yes, no, only with a craft score?

With DM watching carefully.

>Pretty sure Irongrip Gauntlets don't allow you to generate larger sized Fiend's Grips.
The idea is just that he has gauntlets one size too large anyway and uses the irongrip to fill it out. However, I was hoping to hear about this. I was wondering if anyone had an argument for the Fiend's Grip to not scale off just the weapon size, despite it saying the weapon is the focus for the spirit.

I'm tracking ideas of things to sprinkle in which will hinder him a bit more than the others, so lay them on me if you think of anything clever. As it is, antimagic field removes his astral suit and his fiend, but still leaves him with significant power, and antimagic field isn't super practical anyway.

From my limited experience, the big things I saw were
>cannot recreate Falchion, a pretty unoffensive weapon
>fragile weapon quality gives an extra point, but masterwork overrides it trivially, very much gaming the system.
Then there's this weapon which I immediately came up with
>spring-loaded glaive. whopping 2d6 damage, can switch between reach/5ft basically freely, only competes with swift actions
In summary, spring-loaded is busted on a base level as a feature, and for straight damage most 2handers will be overpowered and crit is... well, crit destroys your ability to make weapons because they're so scared of it, but not without reason.

You basically need to use the existing system as a very very rough idea-setter and allow/disallow things case by case, if you allow it at all. Rarely ever called for, you can often just flavor existing weapons as what you want.

Oh right, nearly forgot the spring-loaded weapon had extra crit range/multiplier as an option as well, because clearly it's not good enough. At least I think it did, I'd have to go recreate it. Meh.

What is your favorite way to distribute loot?

>Cannot recreate Falchion

I assume by the lack of an 'a' and the capital letter there you're not referring to an actual heckin' falchion.

No, that's just me being a doofus. I meant a regular falchion. Expanding crit beyond 1 step in any way basically takes all your points, leaving you with a 1d3ish weapon with no features.

I think you can still scroung up enough points to run an Exotic 2h 1d2 18-20/x3 weapon, though.

Sprinkle it around to suit the needs over time but also not make it glaringly obvious.

>Double costs nothing
There has to be a way to abuse this. But it's double.

The spring loaded 2d6 eats up the 8 available points on a basic 2 hander. They fucked all the crit options on cost.

A real bastard can get 10 points by making a fragile double weapon with a 1d2 end though, and masterworking it to forget the downside. It's a system ripe for exploitation and gaming, only with the caveat being that any way you could game it is still inferior to large falcata abuse because Pathfinder is broken.

18-20 eats all 10 points. You need 16 for that build I think.

I'm gonna be honest, weapons are a goddamn mess anyway.

Why the fuck is a bo-staff Exotic? Why is a Falchion twohanded?

Partly paizo's own retardation, but also Paizo's regurgitation of the statlines from 3.5

Which I suppose is more of the first, just in a different way.

Leave it up to my degenerate players, who fret and fight over who gets what

All weapons:
Light Weapon - 1d4 damage
One-Handed Weapon - 1d6 damage
Two-Handed Weapon - 1d8 damage

Martial Training improves the damage die of your weapons

>Tying damage ups to initiating

>initiating

wut

Not referring to the Martial Training PoW feats then?

What are wedding customs like in the Inner Sea region? Specifically with regard to Andorans, Absalomites, and Iomedaeans

who would he have chosen?

Baseline 6 DP from Exotic, two-handed boosts it to 9. Thee more from Additional Design Points to 12. Lesser Damage to 13, Fragile to 14. Hm, yeah, two short of 16. Darn.

>Iomedaeans
they play trumpets

No, I mean Basic Training, Martial Training, and Advanced? Grandmaster? Training replace Simple Proficiency, Martial Proficiency and Exotic Proficiency

Addotional DP refers to the weapon bases I'm fairly certain. The PDF is unclear because Paizo is incompetent but the gnome weapon they example is a 9dp exotic twohander with 3 additional DP listed.

How does additional damage type applying simultaneously work? How does it affect DR? Say I roll a 1d10 and get a 5 so I'll deal 5 slashing/piercing damage but the enemy has DR5/slashing. Does the DR just do fuck all since its slashing and piercing? That's how I'm interpreting it anyway but this is Paizo after all so I want to be sure.

If you do multiple types at once you take whichever is most beneficial automatically if it helps bypass DR. Otherwise you have to choose, which I always found a little funny. It's one of those moments where you can very easily meta-knowledge without it being an issue.

DR is beaten by any attack which deals that type of damage at all.

So DR/Slashing is beaten entirely by a weapon which deals both slashing and bludgeoning at the same time. Likewise, DR/ Slashing and Bludgeoning protects against piercing attacks and ONLY piercing attacks. That is, those WITH only piercing.

Like a duet? Does the wedding party join in for a big show?

What's a good plan to deal with vargouilles at level 3? We just found evidence of their activity, and I don't want any of my character's friends to get VARGED.

Actually, I'm starting to think that it's improved critical threat range that it's meant to be read as "Taking this twice costs 7 DP total"-which makes the Falchion fit within martial weapon budget, and allows for my 1d2 18-20/x3 (Or rather 1d3 if we take fragile instead of reduced damage) as well.

>tfw a weapon that does less damage than fucking punching someone is the best weapon in the game

It's 10 total. Refer to the war flute example costing 4 and not 3 for the same wording.

Fire.

Magic missile

Where? On the party members? Or just set the environment on fire?

Everything.

Fucking never.

I think that's actually Slashing OR Bludgeoning.

The 'And' in DR, like Bludgeoning 'And' Magic, that, for example, lich's have mean you'd need a weapon that is both magical and bludgeoning.

I feel like you need to lighten up, Rags.

How?

what whacky build am i overlooking?

If a cute Pitborn is already reddish in hue, what does her blushing look like?

DONE THAT

Also, apparently Ragnaros and McCree share a VA. Funny old world, innit?

VAs are huge sluts for roles, because I reckon they get peanuts per job

Lots of flat damage bonuses from literally anything that works with crit, improved critical. You can also probably bump it up to 2d6 with oversized weapon shenanigans.

No idea how serious he was being though.

Neverpicked up a Bo, huh?

A bo staff isn't straight - it is thicker in the center than it is at the ends. This makes it better at coping with larger weapons impacting the middlee, but the tapering alsso makes it somewhat more difficult to manuver in the way you would a typical staf, both because you have grip changes and you have a balance issue. You can't slide your hands up or down without affecting the balance of the staff, which is not as much of an issue with a normal single-thickness staff. It actually requires some expertise to use a bo staff properly.

Improved Critical, Critical Threat Range increasers/multipliers, plus something to let you roll attacks twice and take higher, effectively letting you run with at least 51% chance of threatening a crit.

>d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-tiefling
The variant abilities should be rolled for a reason: Getting to choose automatically ensures the racial abilities are WAY better than the default the race gets.

Fiendbound marauder ability is based on your size, not what weapons you're allowed to have. You can generate one size larger with the tiefling ability or powerful build, like soulknives do, but the gauntlets will basically do nothing; they just reduce the penalties if you generated a size beyond that. So you won't get to gargantuan.

Grappling slows combat to a fucking crawl. Make FUCKING sure you and the player know the rules inside and out, AND that everything is precalculated (and doublecheck it) especially if playing online (ie; make macros). Anything to speed that up.

There's ONE way, and other than the fact that technically it's abusing the rules, technically, it's not even impressive or broken.

You craft a ranged weapon with it. Possibly an arm-mounted one, just because.

As you can see the only breaking you'll get out of it mechanically is "wait a fucking second how's this supposed to even work and why is it allowed", but not actual breaking in terms of the performance you get out of it.

Two handing a one-handed weapon with a str mod of 1.

Do I deal an additional point of damage every other round, or is it not worth two-handing under str mod 2?

There are two types of damage types.

The first is the bad one: "Half and Half". This is generally relegated to things the paizo devs hate with infinite fury; that is to say, the tech weapons, and kineticists.

Half and Half means you roll the listed damage, and then split it in two (arguably you're losing the 1s left off odd number results to fraction rounding as well). Each half has to deal with resistances/DR/immunities/vulnerabilities individually. This is why plasma sucks donkey balls: If you do 19 damage, and the target has resist 9 electrical and resist 9 fire (or immunity to either obviously) the attack fucking bounces off. Do note a lot of special effects off things like enchantments and maneuvers and poisons can fail if no damage was dealt even on a hit, as well. Half and Half is basically "fuck you, wielder" the damage type

Neutral is "Or". This lets you choose when you attack whether it's, say, a bludgeoning attack or a slashing attack. Elements can be included too; something COULD in theory be "Fire OR Piercing", just that things generally aren't (until we get to kineticists anyways).

The GOOD kind of multi-type is "X AND Y". This applies the better type against the target.
Something vulnerable to cold but immune to bludgeoning? A "Cold AND Bludgeoning" damage type would get the vulnerability multiplier entirely, ignoring the immunity. DR 10/Slashing against a Piercing AND Slashing attack? No DR. Resist 5 Fire Resist 10 Electrical? A Fire AND Electrical hit would only deal with resist 5 once.

tldr;
"Half X and Half Y" = trap
"X or Y" = 'normal', but slightly versatile as bonus
"X and Y" = best of each

If you ever do an X and Y attack and one of the components would heal the target, and the GM declares it healed by this, remind him... but he probably knows and is probably fucking you over nevertheless. Happens pretty often, some GMs get pissed as fuck when you start having 2-3 damage types on one weapon.

Round down. Not really worth it, no.

Also I seem to have used a very large value of 2 causing it to round up.

Yeah.

What would a Devourer elevated to divinity look like? What would she choose to look like, anyway?

>duergar antipaladin
>can't cast spells
>poisoned his family
>duergar are immune to poison

Must have been some strong fucking poison.

How often has environmental hazards like water, cliffs, lava and shit been a major factor in your games?
In a 3 shot I was running in a city of towers, I had 2 of 6 pcs fall/get knocked off and plummet to their deaths, and in a current game I am in, I found myself leaping into a river, in plate armor, to fight fishmen in order to save a kid, nearly drowning outright were it not for being saved by another party member.
Just had me wondering if shit like that, which used to be fairly common, even really make appearances anymore.

Two words.
Quicksand.

Had a level 1 river crossing that ended with slapstick peril and tying the paladin to a rope so he could jump in, grab the War priestess, and then get towed back before they both drowned

Fuck.
That.
Noise.
That is almost adorable.
We were attack by kuo-toa, and while the party, none of whom in light gear, was jumping into the water to bring the fight to them, I held back to guard our boat.
Then the kid gets riled up and leaps in after them, gets grabbed and bloop, under water.
My CN dude decided to hero up (because the group's cleric mistrusted him), dove into the water and applied fist to gills, killing the bastard and throwing the kid from the water back on to the boat.
Then the monk fished me up as I proceeded to walk underwater to shore.

My favorite watery death:

The party dwarf was a walking stereotype, complete with that thickass plate they wear. That said... he's the party rogue. Strange, I know, but hey it worked well enough. We never snuck around much anyways.

Naturally, there comes a point where as we're fighting a colossal sea-snake,the thing actually uses dispel upon our dwarf. Smart move, actually.

Dwarf doesn't even slow down when he hits the water. Player starts panicking. At this rate, he's sure to drown in less than 19x2 CON Rounds!

Three rounds of him desperately trying to swim back up go by... when all of a sudden the pally measures the map and points out:

>dude can't you just walk out from the bottom?

*ENLIGHTENMENT*

At this rate, our dwarf will survive! barely even ten rounds to make it out, he's got plenty of time left!

... And at the bottom... at the bottom he spots... a treasure chest. I think the GM put it there just as a retard-check or something. Well, that's just a short detour, right? His disable's pretty good, he can get it on the way!

A good 4-5 rounds of walking and lockpicking later he grabs the unlocked chest and stuffs it in his bag of holding
>Why didn't you just... aw forget it

about 50ft from being able to get his head back up above water, the dwarf drowned of natural causes.

New to pathfinder still making my first character.

How viable would a Dex inquisitor/gunslinger be with the weapon finesse feat be?

Yes.

No.

Maybe

Stop playing with my emotions like this

I don't know

Gunslinger gets dex to firearm damage at 5th level with grit keyed off of Wis. Inquisitor is a solid caster that's keyed off of Wis and has solid saves. It's good stuff all around.

b-but that's one word!

Thats what i was figuring, get gun slinger to level 5, then go all into inquisitor, using a rapier. That way i can use my dex to make attacks with weapon finesse and see if i can utilize the inquisitors bonuses on crits.

I was gonna try and make a pistol sword character, and carry around a brace of like 5 pistols so i dont need to reload all the time, if the DM lets me ill just use a swift action to draw or holster the used fire arm, or ill just drop the fire arm and then at the end of the encounter pick it back up.

Could you repeat the question?

Quick Draw to draw weapons as a free action. Guns are expensive unless your DM uses Commonplace Gun rules.
Dex is not added to damage of your rapier, just to your attack roll, unless you have something that gives you Dex to damage.
You take an attack of opportunity (free swing on you) if you fire in melee range of someone.

Is that what Onryou would look like as a human?

The dex for the rapier would be just to hit, that was im not splitting between str and dex to land attacks. My logic was i might not be a good damage dealer, but with the inquisitor stacking dex and knowledge i would be pretty useful as a utility and light damage.

Im trying to see if i can find it, but i know i was reading somewhere there was a feat i could take that prevented an attack of opportunity on me at close range.

Found it, its sword and pistol feat.

My character grew up as a half-breed noble in an Elvish Kingdom. Elvish cuisine and culture in the setting is quite similar to that of Scandinavia, so he grew up eating lots of fish and forest critters.

The most he's eaten in one sitting was probably at some festival when he was an adolescent. He probably regretted it that evening.

Depends on what color her blood is... I'd say black or blue.

Can you repeat the question?