/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
No OP question, let's continue our discussion about ancap DnD from the previous thread instead.

/5eg/, sell me on Sea Sorcerers

Warlock 2 / Sea Sorcerer X.
Enjoy pushing enemies off your grid map.

Battlemaster fighter or Open Hand monk. What would you prefer to have on your team?

>the government charges admission to the dungeon
>the government taxes from the treasure you take from it
>many dungeons have already been cleared of treasure
>some of the tax money goes to putting colorful tokens that in loot that allow you to pay for the honor of going into more high power dungeons
>you need to have dungeon insurance of a given tier to go into dungeons of a given tier

DELETE THIS

>itt, people who have never heard of tolls
Royal tolls are the ultimate expression of private property, which the whole kingdom was for the king.

>the government begins putting cheaply manufactured treasure in dungeons and shunting rats, criminals and lesser monsters into the areas in order to charge people admission to clear it again anyways since the profit margins are better

Smart PCs would just camp out the dungeon and start their own kingdom inside of it and make their own portal back to the human kingdom and charge monsters admission for clearing out city blocks.

>You need a certified dungeon guide travelling with you at all times, he gets 5% of all coinage found, as well as 10% of the value, determined by the treasure committee, of all items removed.

>if you fail to have appropriate dungeon insurance of the right level or it expires, you are classified as a monster until you pay the fine
>if you sneak into a dungeon without paying, you are classified as a monster until you pay the fine
>if you leave a dungeon without finding sufficient wealth to pay the taxes upon leaving, you are classified as a monster until you pay the fine
>fines must be paid at the capitol which is quite a hefty walk and the capitol is warded against teleports
>there is a good chance that wherever you sleep or camp someone will set up signs and a toll booth outside and charge adventurers the right to come in and kill you

THE CIRCLE OF LIFE

I should elaborate a bit more. Does anyone have experience with these classes?

Battlemaster fighter seems really fun, with all the different tactics and ways you can use your superiority dice. I like the look of the monk, but gameplaywise, it just seems to be "Spam Stunning Fist"

What do you think Veeky Forums?

>when you refuse to pay the local king dictator slaver and drug kingpin of Ronald McDonald land to enter his privately owned dungeon so he captures you and turns you into a mob for another paying adventurer to kill on his trip to tolldungeon wonderland

Hoppeland is my new setting.

It's like Dungeon Meshi with economics and liberty politics.

I can't stop laughing at this.

vampires are the perfect ancapistan mctoll dungeon beast since they're very high power and you can always turn adventurers who don't turn the toll into more vampires for more mobs

They also love monarchy systems

> With your DM's permission, you can instead choose a language from the Exotic Languages table or a secret language, such as thieves' cant or the tongue of druids.

Wait... thieves' cant is a language?

You know how some subclasses will add damage to cantrips? Sea Sorcerer takes that idea, but you can choose between +5 damage or two crowd control options. Except the option is determined by damage type, so you need to have multiple "attack" cantrips if you want the full range of options. And the exact mechanics of "cursing" an enemy and then "triggering" the curse are weird.

All your other abilities (including Soul of the Sea) are about extra mobility and avoiding/resisting attacks. One of these abilities specifically grants you resistance to opportunity attacks (like you'd suffer if you were a ranged character and a melee character suddenly got in your face). Incidentally, the non-damage curse options fuck with opponents' mobility.

You also get resistance to fire at 6th level, which is when opponents would be able to start countering your shenanigans with Fireball.

So if you want to be a spell sniper who kites mobs, this subclass is good for that.

Redpill me on forge clerics. Why are they considered so great?

In rules terms, yes.

>Why is having a +1 weapon or +1 armor from level 1 great?

Seriously?

It's been considered one since 1e, yes

Having +1 weapon on level 1 is pretty good. Having +1 weapon on level 14 is not so good.

What happen when Sea Sorcerer use lightning lure? Can you pull the enemy pass yourself..?

Even if you can't do that shenanigan...Spell sniper lightning lure might be cool

So mystic can use mind vault on thieves' cant..

>when you sell your newborn children to the town wizard who owns a tailoring shop that he keeps heated to 500f to get a dungeon certificate of entrance but the dungeon gets annexed by the former village opium alchemist so he boils you to death in his cauldron for trespassing in his royal domain (which is only allowed if you sell him your newborn child for a wooden admission coin) but you don't care because you're finally free

Free +1 weapon
Huge AC
Access to Elemental Weapon spell
MARTIAL PROFICIENCY
Fucking fire immunity
Being able to buff other people's weapons/armor

Read the domain. By the time you hit 14 you are rape incarnate.

Is there anyway to provoke an attack if someone uses Lightning Lure? Like if someone uses LL to pull an enemy past me as a fighter will Tunnel Fighter allow me to hit them with an attack?

Level 14 game doesn't actually exist. And you can use it on armor/shield instead if you already have a magic weapon.

No. Only movement with enemy own action,bonus action or reaction provoke

>Access to Elemental Weapon spell
It's not even good.
>MARTIAL PROFICIENCY
They don't get it.

What's the closest equivalent to a Sap, tonfa baton, or other sneaky bludgeony weapon? I was going to use light hammer but then I noticed it wasn't finesse.

I was about to say, "depends on which maneuvers the Battle Master takes," but then I remembered there are nine of them, so you're bound to pick a useful one by sheer accident.

Note that if you take "Rally," you might as well take that feat that gives you and up to six friends temporary HP on a short rest.

A club.

>when the ogre starts a bidding war on your body as meat but forgets that you're the prime dignitary of the Burger Kingdom™ so you bid for yourself violating your non-suicide contract detonating the mindshield in your possession and losing your warlock levels

Club's not finesse.

Are there really no supplements adding additional weapons?

Damn, that's a shame, would be cool to combo it.

I smell a homebrew project.

If you were to give free archetype spells to Hunter and BM, what would they be?

>everything must be finesse
No.

>every rogue must be an edgy knife-user instead of somebody who knocks people out silently

So what are next UA's? Warlock patrons, more arcane traditions then finally full Mystic?

Also, sohei. Hopefully, also warlord.

That's interesting, thanks! What are your thoughts on monk though? I've read it over and it really just does seem to be you move fast and spam stunning fist/flurry at people. Is that really the case?

This actually sounds kind of fun, I have to check--
>The target must succed on a Strength saving throw or be pulled up to 10 feet in a straight line toward you, and then take 1d8 lightning damage if it is within 5 feet

So if a target is cursed, you have three options:
>Force it to make a Str save versus being yanked up to 25 feet toward you--except Lightning Lure only has a range of 15 feet without metamagic
>Yank it towards you, then deal both spell and curse damage
>Yank it towards you, deal spell damage, then yank it an additional 15 feet past you.

The third one might not work exactly, but it sure is funny.

Nobody knows, everyone thought THIS one was gonna be psion-err, "mystics".

Personally I hope psionics never fucking happens. It's such garbage flavoring, even the way they describe it in their own material is garbage, and not even counting the retarded fan interpretations. Keep that retarded pokemon scifi bullshit it in Pathfinder where it belongs.

Fluff your character to use the hilt of his finesse daggers when beating people. You aren't forced into dealing lethal damage you know.

>Warlord
Battlemaster, Paladin or Valor Bard with Inspiring Leader

>Sohei
War Cleric or Paladin with PAM, fluffed into weeaboo fightan man

Gold in general but also

>violating your... contract... and losing your warlock levels

Warlock levels falling off is also a rich source of infuriation and warlock pacts even fit into ancap stuff quite well. Lots of potential.

Warlock, Wizard then Mystic probably. I mean Mearl finish writing it on 31/12. So the more time they have on testing it, the better.

>t. butthurt threeaboo

>Personally I hope psionics never fucking happens. It's such garbage flavoring, even the way they describe it in their own material is garbage, and not even counting the retarded fan interpretations. Keep that retarded pokemon scifi bullshit it in Pathfinder where it belongs
Fuck off, psionics has been in fantasy since the fucking beginning. Because you can't get over the fact that drawing power from one's mental self or the Far realms rather than one of the many other conflicting sources of magic means jack diddly.

Weren't we supposed to get some non fucked up crafting rules?

If I played a Human Variant and got a feat from it, then reincarnated would I lose that feat I had?

t. guy from yesterday, who took away paladin's level for getting off rails.

he's baiting. We had been in here long enough to remember that copypasta.

Warlock pacts are very explicitly stated to not work this way.

not him and I don't agree with depriving PCs of class features, and have only made a paladin fall once when the player wanted to be a blackguard

Never seen this bait, I apologize for taking it. Honestly, do they just expect WotC to do nothing with the Far Realms?

yes

I kinda of wouldn't be surprised if they generally avoided it. It's not like spelljammer was ever popular outside of its small cult following.

Dealing nonlethal doesn't actually change the damage type, is the weird thing. I'm still leaving tons of blood everywhere for other people to find.

I'm sure any sensible DM would probably let me re-fluff an existing finesse weapon, but I wish there was an official way to play a sap-user. Bringing knives to a fight and then never using the blades seems awkward and silly from an in-character standpoint.

>explicitly

In 5e? Do tell.

Glaive vs Halberd, which would you want to use in battle?

But you are still forced to do piercing, not bludgeoning, damage

I'd say a sap is just a bludgeoning dagger that isn't an effective thrown weapon. Weapons in general are pretty easy to homebrew up

...? what does the Far Realm have to do with Spelljammer?

You're a tank. You can get 20 AC, output damage *almost* as consistently as a fighter, shrug off a wider and wider variety of debuffs as you level up, and if you pick Open Hand you even have a decent burst damage combined with self-healing.

You can choose to spam Stunning Palm, which basically makes you an MMO tank, or not, in which case you're just a really tough guy who deals decent damage.

It's not necessarily baiting, some people genuinely think Psionics don't belong in standard fantasy. Someone disagreeing with you doesn't make it bait, especially when I've never seen this "bait" posted before.

Also I agree, psionics flavoring is pretty.... myrehhhh to include as a universal all-setting option. Sure the flavor text says it's just for forgotten realms, but the second it gets it's own UA, grognards are going to insist any DM who doesn't allow it in every setting ever is bad, even if it doesn't fit the setting at all.

I need a name for a weapon. It's a warhammer posessed by a pagan cleric warlord.

Psi has been in the FR since the very beginning and has been in D&D since before 1e. Telepathy even shows up in Middle Earth.

>you can cast a spell to lift objects mentally or teleport
>but heaven forbid you use a kind of magic that operates on will alone

>You can shoot an arrow to put a hole in a thing
>But heaven forbid you use a plasma rifle to do it

Warscythe

>pagan
As opposed to what?

>Monk
>Tank

What about using a quarter staff, they're finesse aren't they?

monk is not actually tough
you'll be behind fighter AC for 90% of the game
your damage is either okay at best, or burns ki points that would be better used for stunning
all your defensive shit is high level, or takes ki for things the rogue does for free

>ascetism and meditation granting power
>that's totally unfair, only careful study of my theory of [s]programming[/s] magic should grant such powers

As opposed to not!catholic. The pagan worships an evil dragon god, who is essentially Tiamat.

No, there are no finesse bludgeoning weapons

You can use dex with a club or quaterstaff by being a monk, but it doesn't make them finesse weapons

>Point out strawman argument
>Get another strawman argument

I wish monks were as good as they are fun. Like paladins are

>le strawman

Do you realize how many psionic creatures are in the 1e MM?

Open hand monk. The ability to consistently send enemies flying is great and in melee an OH monk is better by sheer ammount of more resource they can use.

Otherwise Battlemaster is better.
Best payed as an archer with Precision strike, Guiding strike, Trip and Maneouvering strike.

What cantrips are elf commoners most likely to know?

10% of the people in a single elven village know Friends, because a century ago when they were adolescents there was a brief (less than a decade) fad with using that spell for pranks

Mending is one of the most practical cantrips of all.

Mending, Message and Prestidigitation probably cover the vast majority. Other non-obviously offensive ones (and defensive ones like blade ward) a large minority. Offensive ones a tiny minority.

I tend to growl when players pick the attack cantrips.

Man, I like the idea of psionics as a replacement for vancian spellcasting, I really do, but no amount of "it was in the old material" is going to make me feel like it belongs in a swords-and-sorcery" setting. Sorry.

If the options were flavored differently to be more like existing forms of magic, maybe... but the way things stand right now, Psionics exist in this weird realm of mental battles and jarring flavor choices that seem like they're from an entirely different game.

The blade cantrips are good.

What about "psionics is how most of Howard's magic works"

Tongue of Sun and Moon is shit and doesn't mesh with the monk thematically

If we replaced it with a third attack per attack action (basically the fighter level 11 feature but two levels later), would it break the game?

> Let's replace a ribbon ability with a third attack
Really made me think

Hey user, I made that shit forever ago. What'd you think?

I gave up when I realized it'd be pretty much impossible to balance.

Monk sucks, so we buff it

Monks also can't do the one thing that made them special in 3.5 (attacking more times than everyone else) thanks to fighters getting all the extra attacks

How can we fix monk to not stylistically clash with the setting of most campaigns? Most campaigns take place in some variation of medieval Europe and having a straight out of a kung-fu Chinese class just takes you out of it.

Hum, I was kind of hoping for a melee battlemaster or a monk, but my main worry is that the monk looked a bit boring gameplaywise.

Is there any way to make Open Hand Monk a bit more interesting? I like that it sounds tanky. Monks tend to have high wisdom, is it possible to make a monk/cleric/paladin build since cleric/paladin spells key off wisdom too?

Prestidigitation is a really obvious choice for someone who never plans to actually become an adventurer. It's actually so obvious I needed to double-check with other people about what non-Presto cantrips commoners might want.

The blade cantrips totally make sense for elven soldiers. Non-blade cantrips don't actually make sense for most elves, even adventurous ones, because Ray of Frost simply doesn't do damage as reliably as a longbow until you're an immensely powerful being.

If an elf had Ray of Frost or Fire Bolt or something I'd mostly suspect him of being too lazy to make and retrieve his own arrows.

Flavor it as deliberately-suppressed lycanthropy or something.
Brawny shirtless-mc-muscles runs around beating the shit out of people with his bare hands because the beast within demands bloodshed, but he's too prideful and disciplined to really let it all out.

Reading it I thought it was great but I haven't played it. I posted to see if you had updated it as you said you would.

Regarding balance, I think your discount options were a bit too good. In that they would only situationaly be troublesome, such as the one where you have to walk around in circles.

Shame you didn't work it further.