/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous Thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/winter-flu-goes-to-the-dogs-edition-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question
Who are the main antagonists for Geist again?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuOGZvcHh3V19rSms/view
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The writers

HAH

But seriously, are there any good writers around at the moment?

Uh, the Sacrosanct, maybe? Abnormals if you squint?

Geist 2e seems to have a new antagonist splat, so at least there's that.

Chronicle of Fagness

Hotly debated but imo? No. OPP writers are mediocre at best. They could use better crunch guys especially, the only decent ones seem to be working on Scion.

Consider this another vote for the minitank conspiracy.

If Scion 2e is what passes for good crunch around OPP, shit's grim.

If a mage casts a spell to shut down a cell phone, and a Sleeper sees her casting the spell and sees the cell phone shut down, is that Paradox? What if the Sleeper sees the mage casting the spell but doesn't see the cell phone? What if the Sleeper sees the cell phone but not the mage? What if the mage is making the phone decay an fall apart, or setting a piece of paper on fire, or lifting an object into the air?

if its obviously magical and a sleeper sees you doing it then yes there's paradox
if its not obviously magical but they still see you acting weird when you do a spell it can cause disbelief and also paradox.
take in mind that putting a bag over a sleeper's head can protect the mage, perception its the name of the game.

It only kicks in if the sleeper sees magic. Doesn't matter what they think they saw or if they even figure out it's magic right then and there. What matters is that the abyss saw magic through the sleepers eyes.

The Mysterium's got the right idea about the lot of them.

Well.. you have seen Beast, right? I would be afraid of repeats like that from a crubch perspective alone

A lot of people seem conflicted over GMC and 2e rules.

DaveB and Chris Allen?

You can still be let go or liberated by others in 2e, you just don't get a Seeming and a lot of other Lost will look down on you as either weak or a potential Loyalist.

In your first example I would say there is no need to roll for paradox because there is nothing obviously magical about a phone turning off.

Typically viewing the target of an obvious spell as it occurs is what adds dice to the paradox pool.

Spells have no visible presence as they're being cast unless you have mage sight turned on, a prime unveiling spell going, or flare your nimbus.

The other effects may or may not invoke paradox depending on how the spell functions/storyteller approval. If the phone turns into liquid and pours between the targets fingers? Paradox. If the phone emits smoke as the battery pack cracks and catches fire? Probably not

You can still cause paradox without sleepers. You just want an excuse to round people up into concentration camps.

How is Beast from a mechanical perspective? I'm considering throwing a few into my Mage game as a tool of the local Seer boss.

General consensus is that the mechanics are pretty bad and go against their own theme.

Everything about it is great. Don't listen to the naysayers.

Overpowered as shit. They can look at you and irrevocably steal your soul (and all your magical powers) with one roll.

If you need general opponents then take a look at Hunter.
Not for hunters, but for their ideas on how to build monsters. You just need to up the stats a bit for head on confrontations.

I do love exaggerations.

Where is this? I don't remember seeing it in the sourcebook.

I'll take a look at this. The idea I had in mind was the leader of the local Hegemonic Ministry getting their hands on a Beast, one with Power as its hunger, and using it to terrorize sleepers, the idea being that crushing them in their dreams, they'll be more conformist in reality.

Hey fellow puppers, pugmire just dropped! Whom be hype to have some rutting good fun!

Kill me

You know, I like dogs but I'm not really crazy about this

If you could have the first dot of a single arcana, what would you pick?.

Fate

McFarland outright ignored issues that playtesters brought up, and the final product shows it. It's hot mess of mostly shitty mechanics mixed with some OP stinkers, and few truly retarded combos.

Beast is hot garbage in both fluff and mechanics. Maybe once CofD 3E rolls around they'll rebuild it from the ground up, and make actual decent game out of it.

Fate.

IRL?

Matter.

Mind, probably, mostly for the 2 thoughts at the same time ablity and perfect recall... Also being able to read surface thoughts.

I'm a pretty shameless furry and I'm still not sold on Pugmire. It's just Dog D&D, right?

>cute game for kids where you play a cute doggo
>people are going to use it to roleplay dog fucking
I hate this world

It's pretty much d20 The Autumnlands but more pet focused, yeah.

I dunno, I can't be assed to give it a actual read, all I know is the art is sparse, mostly made up of stuff they alredy show'd and has a higher 'quality' to them than CoD usally does, but it all looks awful because it's FUCKING DAWGS.

The resident werefaggers need to leave

There is nothing wrong with cute dogs

Man I sure wish the Arrow had a stando power, shit looks good.

Fate

>If a mage casts a spell to shut down a cell phone, and a Sleeper sees her casting the spell and sees the cell phone shut down, is that Paradox?
No. A phone shutting off isn't obviously magical.
>What is the Sleeper sees the mage casting the spell but doesn't see the cell phone?
Still no. Mages cast subtle spells in front of Sleepers all the time.
>What if the Sleeper sees the cell phone but not the mage?
You serious, dude? No. They would just see a phone shut off.
>What if the mage is making the phone decay an fall apart, or setting a piece of paper on fire, or lifting an object into the air?
If it was rapid decay? Yes. If the Mage had no apparent source of heat or fire? Yes. If the lifting was done without hands? Yes.

Does that thing have three boobs?

Sure fucking looks like it, hombre.

If you do throw in Beasts, make their powers visible. Maybe when you can actually see their wings and claws and fire breath they won't be so lame.

Nah, the boobs are spread out, so the skull in the middle of the spread makes it look like 3 boobs.

Make me you frog-fucking Frenchman!

So I'll be playing my first ever game of WtApoc this weekend.

I need ideas. I was thinking of doing a just first changed, knows nothing about werewolf culture dude. But I have no idea what to play.

Hey guys! I know I said I wouldn't keep posting this, so as to not come across as a desperate attention-seeking whore, however I have made a few corrections - there's now actually a description for the Toreador Elder, the Ravnos Elder now actually has equipment, and there's some spelling/grammar fixes.

I also added a new entry to the "others" section, the Walking Dead. The big thing here is zombies, since they're likely to come up in a lot of different Vampire games for one reason or another. However, I also included Risen Dead (i.e., sapient zombies), as well as mummies in the vein of Mummy: the Resurrection. Which as I understand it is not well liked, but oh well, *I* like it, and you don't have to use it.

Mummies in particular make for good enemies if you want to have an opponent that your players can kill, it just won't really *stop* them. So the players need to figure out a different solution.

>knows nothing about werewolf culture dude
That makes me lean toward Bone Gnawer or Glass Walker if he's from the city.Then again you could have him from a working-class immigrant family for Fiana, Get, Silver Fangs, or Shadow Lords options.

PCs don't normally start that wet behind the ears. I assume its a Homid?

>You can still cause paradox without sleepers.
How?

There's already a Silver Fang, a Shadow Lord, a Red Talon...

That's my plan, yes. I know nothing about the overall 'how to play' werewolf, unlike all the other WoD games. So I want to go into it a little blind as a PC as well as a player.

>There's already a Silver Fang, a Shadow Lord, a Red Talon...
There's no rule that says you can only have one tribe per PC, right?

I mean imagine being a long Silver Fang and your cousin is telling about how awesome your tribe is but then the Shadow Lord tells you in secret about how your tribe is going soft and you should trust HIM instead.

Most tribes would work exceot for Get of Fenris, Red Talons or Black Furies. The Wendigo and Uktena might be pushing it too, as they tend to be way more tight knit and careful about their offspring or kinfolk.

Basically what the other user suggested.

Over reachingREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACH

>one tribe per PC
One PC per tribe.
my noggin isn't joggin right now.

You're doing God's work, user.

There's no rule against it, no. I just don't want to step on toes.

But the playtesters were obviously MRAs, user, otherwise, they would have had no issue with it

Remember when a playtester leaked Beast to get a freelancer fired?

God, everything about that Beast buildup was a train wreck.

Does anyone have a link to the original Beast? I need to see this shit for myself.

Stat Arcade Bumstead for me.

I refuse to stat weeaboo material

Cast a vulgar spell.

Overreaching on a spell. Your 'free' reach is equal to 1+(Your arcana rating -- Arcana rating of spell). Anything past that adds dice to the paradox pool.
Not really a thing in 2e.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuOGZvcHh3V19rSms/view

Should be this

Tell me this story
How'd the freelancer get fired?

The Vulgar and Covert distinction is gone. Now all that really matters is you don't perform obvious magic in front of Sleepers or Reach too hard.

Whats the most F U N m20 build on 1 arete fellow roleplayers?

>m20

I stopped reading there

There is no main antagonists, at least not in first edition. Antagonists they do have include other Sin-Eaters and Krewes (Sacrosanct), The Wretched & The Vacant, Kerberoi, Cthonians, Ghosts, other Geists and Abmortals. But most of those are kind if you get in their way or piss them off.

I think it was mentioned there was at least 2 new antagonists for Geist 2e, but I could be wrong. Seems like focus on 2e for antagonists lie within Cthonians, the new unnamed antagonists and Sin-Eater culture, which is said to be bigger than before.

Beasts if nothing else, are definitely good to use as multipurpose antagonists.

Still working on the Thrice Great legacy.

This thing is doing my brain in trying to figure out how to slot their Planetary Affinities system into the Attainment, Yantra, and Ritual Casting, and Shadow-Name-Merit systems.

Also after conversing with system experts, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to make the Shadow Portal powers work is if the Thrice Great takes a trip out of the city to perform their rituals.
Which thematically, isn't that bad an idea.

It probably should be pretty hard to forge a Planetary Bridge in a city where you can't even see most of the stars or planets clearly.

Thanks, user

Who ever has done the 2nd editions for requiem and promethean are pretty good

Read the book.

But mechanically it deprndston if your using the atavism(the powers associated with a beasts horror) or the nightmares which are yhe crazy mind fuckery powera that make humans shit themselves with fear

Can anyone share their theories on the significance of a Geist's caul (The power they have before they take the bargain) again?

They mention that it bonds them closer to death, and gives their urge to life the occult power it needs to summon a Geist and save them.

But do the cauls come from anywhere particular?

What is the effect of a weak vs. a powerful caul?

I'm fairly certain that nothing in 1e provides concrete answers to this unless it was in the fine details of one of the SAS, but I'd love to hear people's conjecture.

What do we know about Scion 2e right now? I thought it wasn't out yet.

Are all Mages complete assholes to the other supernaturals, or is it merely another example of an unjustified stereotype?

Depends on the Mage and the circumstances.

the biggest nosy neighbors

Mages raid Werewolf holy sites and steal all the magical juice that they use to keep the area healthy for the nearby spirits

Mages are assholes

Why WOULDN'T you be a complete asshole to other supernaturals? They're fucking monsters..

For the most part. But you can sell yourself as being one of the 'good' supernaturals to them.

Changelings are an extremely good fit, satisfying pretty much every tickbox necessary to have Mages be favourably disposed towards you:
- Not grossly inhuman appearing (Since they can't penetrate the mask, even if they detect it)
- Relatively harmless to nearby mortals, their reliance on emotional vampirism doesn't actually have to hurt people intrinsically
- Technically provide a service to the community (True Fae awareness)
- Unique abilities that can't be replicated by anything less than archmastery.
- Potentially a great source of useful magic curios, knickknacks, creatures and tools via the market and the wider hedge
- Definitely willing to talk to and trade with Mages (IE they have enough inability to deal with their own shit that a Mage is an extremely powerful and useful ally)
- Able to strengthen Supernal magic (*huge*)

So a Moros couldn't become BFFs with a Mekhet?

Werewolves are LITERALLY just trying to keep the earth / universe alive so that everyone including the mages can enjoy it

#GarouDidNothingWrong

werewolves are terrible at their jobs and are fucking niggers

Fate Adepts can fuck up a Changeling's day in horrendous ways. Why would they risk befriending someone who is a hard counter to their Template?

>Werewolves are LITERALLY just trying to keep the earth / universe alive
If that were true they'd be fighting the Technocracy, not hiding in the fringes of reality.

>If that were true they'd be helping the Technocracy

ftfy

They're fighting the Wyrm who is literally the source of corruption and entropy. They're fighting the REAL threat
They meant well

>they can't penetrate the mask
>Able to strengthen Supernal magic

Yeah, no. Go away you biased Changeling worm.

This. If there isn't a clearcut way to cross over monster mash, it's toilet paper.

The Wyrm is just a giant dildo belonging to an Archmage that created it.

That's not canon

There's a technological explanation, no rational sleeper will have magic as their go to explanantion.

I dislike how life magic is the most paradox triggering school. All I ever wanted to transform in a tentacled lovecraftian horror in a crowded place.

I believe it's canon therefore it is canon. My personal reality beats yours.

>Ascenion

>implying
your just some lines of texat on the computer. You might not even exist for all I know

There are a shitload of mage books. Without getting them all how do I know which ones belong to which WoD and edition?

It was suggested in MotA that an ancient Archmage created Oblivion, so it has some theoretical truth to it. It's also a canon book.

That's not what canon means

But it's true, the mask is impenetrable by any terrestrial powers, a arch master might be able to see past through it.