ITT: Shit people you game with do that's annoying, but not unbearable

ITT: Shit people you game with do that's annoying, but not unbearable.

We have threads about "that guys" and asking for advice on what to do about people who are total dickbags all the time, but I want a thread to just kind of whine about shit that's annoying but not annoying enough to do anything about it.

I'll start.
>have ADHD
>widely recognized that stimulants (including caffeine) have a different effect on people with ADHD than on most people, and help them focus rather than making them wired
>bring coffee to weekly RPG session, otherwise I can't focus
>same player frequently says something like, "gee, user, are you sure that's a good idea? You'll be up all night."
>I've explained numerous times that it's drink coffee or fidget the whole time, check my phone constantly, and need a break every hour to go for a walk
>he still does it
>other players have commented on his making this comment all the time, and he just says he forgot
How many fucking times can you forget the same thing? He's a great guy all in all, and fun to play with, but Jesus Christ.

That was educational. I now know why caffeine doesn't do to me what everyone else talks about.

>Play joke characters when we in a somewhat serious campaign.
>Play elves to portray the most obnoxious gay stereotypes they can think of.

The guy who describes his character to everyone separately when we're all seated at the table together.
>Yeah he's like a spartan from 300.
>I'm just standing over the body smashing it with the hammer.
>Yeah I'm just huge and walking around.

Conversely.
>play serious character in Saturday morning cartoons campaign

>indecisiveness when picking character background and personality.
It's ok to develop that while playing, but I would like to have more to plan with sometimes.

>Metagame but try to play it off
>get started late

Most of my current complaints with the game I'm in are about the system, but these things can grate on me, especially when they happen every week. And we all make fun of those who are at fault, but I'd prefer not to.

About half my group just doesn't bother to get their characters leveled up between sessions, so then the rest of us need to wait aeound half an hour st rhe beginning of the session while they ponder which option to pick up.

I get that they have lives and girlfriends and such but at the same time it's not too hard to set aside half an hour every few weeks. Hell, 2 of them live where we play and I spend more than half an hour just getting there each week.

Break roleplay to explain mechanics
>holding unconscious but stable guy
>alchemist hands me a healing draught for them
>I say we should get to the matter at hand first and not have to explain to this guy what happened
>describe laying him down in an upright position and leaving the potion on his lap for reviving him later and turning back
>"uhm you know that it disappears within 6 seconds?"

DOES IT MATTER YOU CAN MAKE INFINITE MORE IN 6 SECONDS TOO
ALSO THEY CAN EXIST FOR UP TO AN HOUR FUK U LEARN YOUR RULES THEN KEEP THEM TO YOURSELF

Wait, what? Holy shit. I need to start drinking coffee.

>TL;DR: my friend annoys me and I'm a whiney bitch

great thread

I don't know, I've seen that done right more than a few times.

>>widely recognized that stimulants (including caffeine) have a different effect on people with ADHD than on most people, and help them focus rather than making them wired

Uh... no, you idiot, coffee improves everyone's focus. You're just a caffeine-addicted snowflake.

Need proof?
You came on to Veeky Forums to complain about a non-issue. You think you're special. You're not. You don't even have ADHD. You're an attention whore. With sincerity, I hope you fill the emptiness inside of you soon. Good luck out there.

I play with a guy that makes no attempt to RP, does WoW dailies during our entire session, and said last session that he "gets bored of his characters after a couple of sessions so he's ready to die".

>Player's turn
>has to roll for something
>lifts his dice feet above table then drops its
>dice fly everywhere
>6/10 times off the table

Roll it reasonably and we won't have to chase dice every 5 minutes

not op but caffeine does help with add/adhd, google it.

Somebody in my group silent-farts at least once per session. This has been going on for almost a year (WE PLAY EVERY WEEK) and nobody can figure out who the fuck it is.

>WE PLAY EVERY WEEK

>every week

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a lot of people just have an irrational hate for the term adhd because a lot of people try and milk it for sympathy.

Don't you mean that nobody ELSE can figure it out, user?

Fug, tell me about it. I can't fucking mention it without people giving me "the look". All these retarded people now a days who think it's "cool" to have a disorder make life suck for people who actually do.

>Guy who makes a serious character when I refer to the game as a joke campaign but when it changes to a serious campaign he changes personality entirely and becomes a joke

I'm not bitter. At all.

Fellow ADHD bro here. Not necessarily on topic, but try buying and learning to solve a rubix cube. I refused to take medication but, I found that having a thing I can do absentmindedly helps me focus on what's in front of me.

One of our guys shakes them in his hand and then slams them on the table. And by slams I mean fucking CRATERS the bitches like the first of an angry god.

I have to remind one player every week to NOT use his oversized metal dice because I don't want meteor strike trails all across my table. JUST STOP BRINGING THEM, PLEASE!

This could be me, but I know not to do this. But this could be me if I wanted to.

...I've thought about it.

I just hate it when a player doesn't know how his characters works and is asking constantly to the GM.
I mean, if they were newbies I would understand...

People who get high and can't pay attention or add to the game can be a lil annoying.

I've never been the judgmental ass who waggles a finger at people for doing drugs, but if you get high and then just basically checkout during the game I feel sorta dumb role playing into a mostly silent room.

Not enough to ruin the game or get me angry, since we're all friends and we're all there to have fun, but if others don't also add to the game it feels like I'm the only one pushing the game along and I get self conscious that I"m stepping on everyone else.

Oh bro i understand that feel. Relatively new to dnd, playing LMoP currently. Everytime the dude playing the wizard levels up he will spend 50+ mins holding up gameplay reading up on which spells he should take, what they etc. Due to lack of pre reading/planning

>try to game
>people just chitchat around with outside people
>game that would last 20 min goes on for 1 hour
I could chat as well but fucking damn, this isn't fun. You are here to play, not try to hit on the nearby female while stopping the game because it's your turn and you can't stop chatting like a retarded gossip-spreading idiot.

>feigns interest when campaigns are being planned
>feigns confusion when they just don't want to play in an attempt to torpedo the session
>but they also ACTUALLY get confused a lot in general and demand successively more intricate explanations and visual aids
Icing on the cake:
>always attempts to play one of the same three characters with the same name, backstory, and traits.
>despite this attachment they never actually roleplay unless it's to describe that their character is having sex or learning martial arts

This is all one person, and my group's trying to figure out a delicate way to exclude them. They're more-or-less a package deal with another player who is a great guy.

I have that problem. It's basically about ignoring them.
Is the character in the scene? Yes, he's next to that character. And until the group is all in one place, he's always next to that one. If he disagrees tell him that he needs to tell the DM that he goes somewhere differently.

Basically, he's an NPC.

This has helpéd me get one of my problem players to start roleplaying. First he starts doing anything. If that's sneaking after the shady NPC that's acting. A bit later when he's discovered he needs to explain himself. A few sessions of this and he MIGHT start communicating.
My player just did not get what things he should tell the DM and what things not to tell the DM. Weird, but there you have it.

A group of averages trumps a great/bad combo user

tiny grains of sand can make a desert if it piles enough.

I've got a player where every interaction with him goes like this:
>"Okay, it's now your turn. What do you do?"
>*loud exasperated sigh*
>uuuuuuuuuughmmmm...
>I attack
It's not that annoying, but like a tag in a new pair of pants that makes you itchy way too often, it's getting there.

You're a faggot with a made up diagnosis created for athletes to legally take dope, and you're the one complaining? LOL

It's that guy

I could use some advice from ADHD anons

>be GM
>have ADHD friend who lives in the grey zone between "tolerable" and "that guy"
>Any time I'm doing a scene with other players, he feels to need to loudly announce what his character is thinking/doing (even if they aren't anywhere near the situation at hand)
>doesn't interrupt other players or anything, but it's still mildy annoying
>he's constantly trying to one-up the other players; attempting to do what they do, but better
>this usually ends in his fucking up though, so it's not quite "that guy", but borders on it
>it's obvious that he's desperate for attention and the spotlight, but is polite enough that I wouldn't label him as That Guy
>despite all of this, he does his best to take role-playing seriously

I'm honestly not sure what to do with him. I know he doesn't mean to be a nuisance (I've talked to him about his behaviors, and he seemed to listen), but I think that whenever he's in the heat of the moment, he just instinctively falls back onto bad RP behaviors (the ADHD doesn't help matters). The group and I don't want to kick him, not just because he means well, but also because he's a good friend who I'm still going to see a lot anyway, and that would make things awkward. Do any of you anons with ADHD have any advice? What helps you focus in and chill out during a game session?

Get him a fidget cube, my dog

>>Any time I'm doing a scene with other players, he feels to need to loudly announce what his character is thinking/doing (even if they aren't anywhere near the situation at hand)

Do you think it's just spontaneous ADHD talking or drawing spotlight? And how does the rest of the groep interprets it?

>Players trying to befriend every single fucking animal they encounter and try to add it to the party.

Stop. It.

I'd allow it.

Then make a plot around a travelling zoo, having to hire retainers and deal with them, handle animals, deal with dangers of the road and other menaces and regularly fight off local branch of Not-Team-Rocket

No fuck you.

>playing a circle of the beast druid
>party end up killing a bugbear that kept two wolves
>beat them, starved them, made them fight his men
>after the fight stop the party from finishing off the wolves
>heal them
>bring them their dead masters body which they tear into
>burn my remaining spell slots on animal friendship and speak with animals
>free them and ask if they want to come with me
>they say yes
>DM makes me roll animal handling
>19 +5
>"uhhhh sorry the wolves flee"
>ask him why
>the rules say you can't get an animal companion

I just wanted a pair of doggos, part of my promise to them was that I'd never make them fight again.

>Any time I'm doing a scene with other players, he feels to need to loudly announce what his character is thinking/doing (even if they aren't anywhere near the situation at hand)
Absolutely unacceptable.
Tell him, in no crass words, that when the GM is speaking, he DOESN'T.
It is a that guy habit to interject for attention, and you need to let him know it will not be tolerated.

The alchemist artificer in 5e is so retarded, it feels like a shitty homebrew class made by someone who never played D&D but read the PHB once.

It doesn't sound THAT bad to me. In fact, the fact that he is into the RP thingy shows that he is genuine. I don't think he has ADHD, he most likely is socially awkward and overcompensating by trying to steal the spotlight.
Tell him that he is not the MC of the story and that he is not more important than the other players. Tell him also that reacting when it doesn't concern him adds absolutely nothing to the game and actually bothers you because it makes player interactions less fluid, and that he should only react or add something when directly spoken to.

>Player shows investment in the element of the world
>Invests actual resources
>"uhhhh no you can't, it's not in the RUUUURS"

I feel you, user.
D&D-only GMs are the worst.

Holy shit, this. If you want a pet just fucking buy one, don't waste our time trying to tame wolves or some shit.

That DM is shit at improvising a decent explanation.

>Despite your best efforts, you are unable to tame the wolves. Their past experiences have made them too distrustful.

What user was saying is that caffeine doesn't just help those with ADHD focus, it helps anyone who takes it in reasonable amounts, and in this context 'reasonable' goes at least as high as four cups a day. FYI the 'caffeine crash' as we know it doesn't exist. When the effects of caffeine start to wear off, you just return to your normal state of wakefullness. You don't suddenly have to pay off some sort of caffeine debt.

>Just press the button labeled 'Buy wolf' and spend the necessary fictional resources instead of incorporating your character and the world into a narrative
Absolutely plebeian.

>Play a game set in Fantasy Not!Japan
>Player creates a character native to the region
>Calls it "Xiang Lingxin" or something similar

MAXIMUM DISHONOR

>Turns out fantasy japan has conquered fantasy china long ago
>Character is born to a second class of citizens and must conceal his identity
>Wants to liberate his people and kill the emperor
Instant character motivation and plot hook?

Character was already revealed to be in the samurai caste via dice rolls and tables before the name was thought up.

Coincidentally
>People insisting on rolling for stats
The fuck am I going to do with that 3...

>evil campaign centered around guerrilla style raiding
>player makes a neutral bard who is constantly getting rump ruined when the other players do shit like execute prisoners after interrogation
>after a post game chat player agrees it's not working
>that players solution is to have their character be in perpetual denial
>Start a new campaign after old one ends
>tell everyone that this is a campaign for altruistic characters that will be heavy on dealing with NPCs
>same player makes a chaotic edgy sorcerer

The first time that player danced with a corpse in the new campaign me and the party face exchanged a "where the fuck was this in the last one?" look

That doesn't even break roleplay if it literally does disappear in 6 seconds after creating a potion. That would be a mechanic that exists within the game world as real as gravity, retard.

>Character was already revealed to be in the samurai caste

If countries really integrated over the years, it's not that implausible. Probably took lots of years and lots of liberal interpretation of the law, though.

Alternatively he could be son of a small-time loyalist who is okay with how things are now and fully understands what will happen to him if these damn revolutionaries DO liberate the people.

>that one player who tries to squeeze extra wealth out of every possible situation

For fuck sake you are adding an extra ten minutes to every npc discussion just so you can get told to fuck off

"if you try to use the metal dice, the roll critfails."

Ah shit. We have one guy who fidgets with his dice constantly to the point he'll drop them onto the floor 3-4 times a session. Drives me nuts.

>plays self-inserts
>in every game
>always tweaked and wind up totally different a quarter of the way through
>fun to play with
>but also always starts as just their rl self adapted to that setting

Write/play what you know.
If it ends up being fun to play with, why complain?

SHAMFUR DISPRAY

>Friend brings dog to session
>It periodically drops silent killers for four hours
>We're laughing but also a little disgusted
>Owner keep apologising and saying it not normal
>We give them both shit for it
>Session almost over, GM is giggling with evil
>We guess so terrible twist is coming
>GM collapses into giggles and confesses
>"I was me boys, it was all me."
>He's been killing us since 2 O'clock and letting the dog take the blame

I'm sorry Colin, we're all sorry.

Well, one thing we know for sure - this guy sure doesn't need any more coffee.

>regular weekly group
>we usually play Pathfinder
>sometimes when I GM I'll run a different system, like Eclipse Phase or Gumshoe or Delta Green
>the first time I did this, fully half of the group silently failed to show up despite expressing interest
>I hand out play aides and rulebooks weeks in advance, and make it clear that they should email me if they have questions or need me to walk them through character generation
>every single fucking time, none of them bothered to do chargen, or even print off character sheets
>tl;dr every time we switch systems away from D&D we spend the first half of the session doing character generation instead of playing

It's a good idea to make characters together anyway. Gives you a chance to get everyone on the same page.

My usual thoughts on this are "everybody has each others' email address and some form of IM messaging, can't we get this out of the way before play starts?"
>no, I'm too busy
Motherfuckers I have a SO too, I work 50+ hours every week - and I don't mean sitting at a desk pretending to be busy for half of it - and yet I still manage to find time to prepare for and run at least two different RPGs most weeks. If I can find the time to do that, you cunts can find the time to do chargen.

You have at least some level of familiarity withthe system, they want fun, not homework

Or they can bring a dice tower or a dice tray

I have some metal d6s that I like to use me through my tower.

My buddy has me as guest with his friend's game who DMs, the DM is chill but the people he's got in there are actually horrible at least these two that we'll call tweedle dee and tweedle dum who are brothers.

Dee will do this thing every time he's excited, he'll slap his cheeks and then pull them down which is fucking weird, while Dum will belch all the fucking time and when asked to stop says "I'm roleplaying" and then generally after the session we grab a bite to eat given there's a burger place around the corner, it's not amazing but it's still a restaurant where every time they argue about tipping and how they shouldn't have to, with the first time not knowing how to work a fucking receipt. They're both fucking 28 by the way.

>Dee will do this thing every time he's excited, he'll slap his cheeks and then pull them down which is fucking weird, while Dum will belch all the fucking time and when asked to stop says "I'm roleplaying"
Autism?

Yeah they're both full fucking blown

Almost my entire group at our FLGS is like that in one way or another. The fact that they only know how to play Pathfinder and Vampire: the Masquerade doesn't help.
>DM has no idea what CR is and sets up occasionally unfair spur-of-the-moment encounters
>one guy spends much of his time sleeping through the session because his roommates (who also play in our group) won't give him a chance to sleep like a normal human being
>another is really impatient and demands PROGRESS ONLY NO SIDEQUESTS FINAL DESTINATION; also has a stammer/stutter but that's a medical problem
>another is a high-schooler with an /s4s/-tier sense of humor that thinks random cursing and le epic maymays are inherently funny; not terribly attentive either
The only really unbearable player I have to deal with is almost incapable of playing a non-evil character and he munchkins the fuck out of Stealth, Disguise, and Bluff AND takes classes and abilities that disguise his alignment. He never gets involved in anything unless it's to his benefit or the party gets hurt (or both) and there's nothing that anyone can do about it.
As for me, I'm kind of a bore/stick in the mud. I play mellow and aloof characters (usually NG or TN ranged martials) that contribute when necessary but rarely take the lead. Serves me right for playing human-scale characters in high-power campaigns.

A totally serious character in a campy can be even funnier than a gimmicky one if done right.

Start making the ones that fall off the table nat 1's

>first time dming, gets really popular in my circles and I figure the best way to handle all the people is to do opposed "versus" groups in the campaign
>goes absolutely awful with the "Evil" group devolving into betrayals and cluster-fucking, and the "Good" group arguably being more evil
>3. F U C K I N G. YEARS LATER.
>Small group, same people who I genuinely enjoyed playing with from the older sessions.
>They STILL spend most of their downtime making deterrence weapons and plotting how to best kill each other "in case they do something shady"
>I have publicly vowed never to run a VS campaign ever again or allow blatantly conflicting characters
>No one has ever genuinely tried to be an asshat unless there was an obvious in-session reason to do so
>Every week I still get 4 messages about going to black markets looking for motion detecting land mines

I know Twitch is my favorite AGP character, but I never intended for this.
I just want them to spend downtime building sweet bases and homes, or talking to the lonely bar maid and her grand-parents

2nd
>Forever DM, some players show interest in freeing me from my shackles
>One guy starts with setting first and refuses to start until its perfect
>He gives up a quarter way every time
>They're pretty good and I'd run them myself if he wouldn't go autist on me for changing things because they aren't 100% historically accurate

I just wanna' party and have a jolly ole' time...

fuck off i have adhd and i never have to tell people i do, especially not to justify acting an ass

I imagine it's much like someone who is vision impaired and seeing people wear glasses just because they think they look good.

But wearing glasses would be more socially accepted, no?
>as someone who wears glasses idgaf

>have friend who constantly wants to start new games
>they are always some sort of Fucking massive railroad, half baked, or just dumb
(Example: one game was just us picking up quests from a quest board, literal name for it and all, to kill 10 goblins, ect)
>He's one of my best friends and get a so excited about it, hard to say no
>we have had well over 10 games
>not a single one lasted more then 2 sessions
>everyone of them was a zombie apocalypse

I mean, it's fun because I try to back him up and lead by example and try to jump over plot holes, but it's kind of sad. I say this now because he just sent a text asking if I want to join his new zombie survival game, set in dnd universe.

>Always retroactively wrong in any previous argument, especially when right.
>We had to correct you about this two weeks ago too
>No, I was the one who spent twenty mi... you know what, forget it.

What about the GM's fun? Personally I have more fun playing the game than twiddling my thumbs for two hours while players flip back and forth through the rulebook.

I guess what I have a problem with is the idea that the GM is solely responsible for the enjoyment of the players.

>I don't need to prepare a character sheet or a character concept or ever glance at a rulebook; I can just show up every week and the GM will entertain me for free!

If the GM is taking time out of their week to prepare, I really don't think is that big an ask for the players to prepare a little themselves. I certainly put the work in when I'm a player in someone else's game.

>Take trader/merchant skills
>Suddenly we start getting less loot or sometimes even no loot
On the one hand I can understand that the party having access to much better weapons and armor would make combat easier
On the other hand my GM could have just asked me not to take those skills

I solved this by letting my party get a bunch of wolves and making the characters roll for each individual wolf, and then killing all the wolves with a dragon breath. I'd feel bad if I had planned that, but they decided to run into a dragon fight i warned them against several times, and still managed to down it in the end.

Relevant to OP: I have a player who keeps interjecting even when he obviously has nothing to say. He's otherwise great to hang out with, but when we're playing he'll make a random joke or reference every few minutes, and otherwise hardly play.

Work commitments means one of my players has to leave early every other week. Literally every other week. That's annoying.
Another player sometimes is too busy with work to show up on time, sometimes at all. That's annoying.
With their powers combined, that's REALLY annoying.

I'm trying to get a Shadowrun game running. One player has two characters complete and is coming up with more.
Another is flipping between 'yes' and 'maybe', and needs handholding to get a character built, but is rarely around at the same time I am due to differing work schedules, sleep schedules, and timezones.
Another, the one whose idea the entire campaign WAS, has delayed the start of the campaign for nearly six months now by being incapable of dealing with complex rules. That's annoying, but kind of justified because the meds that keep them sane stopped working, and they're having trouble finding ones that DO work. And now they don't even show up to chat any longer, because the crazy has gotten so bad and is feeding off the worries about the meds.
They are literally making themselves crazier by worrying about being crazy.

I got hit in the head REALLY hard at work last year. My memory was shit before, but now it's fucking terrible because minor brain damage. I'm meant to be making a character for another campaign, but keep forgetting about it. Completely forgetting about it.
> Have you made that character yet?
> What character?
> ...
> OH SHIT I FORGOT AGAIN
> Resolve to do it
> Forget again
> So, user, made that character yet?

So, Batman-esque straight man?

Brain damage aside, this I don't mind at all.

> hey did you make a character?
> oh shit I forgot, sorry user

What I take issue with is

> hey user did you make a character?
> nope ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

Same condition except caffeine don't do shit to me and I drink soda all the time, I think enough to equal coffee unless I'm retarded and coffee has way more caffeine than I thought it did
Energy drinks and shit hardly affect me as well
Also
>playing dark heresy
>unsanctioned psyker with split personality
>friends character is sanctioned
>basically planning my characters future for me
>shit like becoming her mentor and sending her off to the black ships after campaign is over
>"hey man you should prolly take that one power cause it'd make sense for you to have that since you don't have all that much training"
>shitty little starter fire power that I'll prolly never use
>tell him I'd rather something else
>well it won't be my fault if something bad happens to her
Fuck I like him and all but damn she ain't your character you already have 2 dammit

Tell me about it. I had a GM tell me I was trying to cheat because I said the wizard I was playing was trying to move quietly.

"No, user, only Thieves can move silently"
>Okay, then I just try to make as little noise as possible
"No, that's CHEATING, you're trying to trick me into letting you move silently, it's not going to work!"
>Dude, it's just roleplaying
"I will take your character if you don't stop"
>FINE! I WALK THROUGH THE FOREST STOMPING MY FEET AND SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS FOR NO REASON BECAUSE DOING OTHERWISE IS CONSIDERED CHEATING!

I think it's his desire to have the spotlight, coupled by ADHD lowering his inhibitions (he really enjoys roleplaying and gets pretty hyperactive during sessions). The rest of the group has a similar opinion (though they have less tolerance for it that I do, since they're the ones he attempting to get the spotlight from).

He doesn't interrupt anyone, which is why I don't classify it as That Guy behavior. It's just that, whenever it's his turn to speak, he mentions something like "My character is in their room, training and thinking about X" or some shit like that, even when they've already mentioned this or it has no relevance to what's going on ATM. Again, not disruptive, but not exactly good RP behavior either.

He legit does have ADHD, but I'll try this. Thanks for the advice.

I fucking hate Rules-As-Written-Only GMs. They are a bane of our society.

They sound extremely painful.

Shit's not relevant to his life.

Who hurt you, user?

I have a full time job with a shit commute, a gf, and have plenty of other responsibilities, just moved to a new city & state, etc.

And yet I have plenty of time to prepare, and also plan character advancement ahead of time. Making adjustments when needed.
There is no excuse.

Hell, I know someone who works two jobs, 60-70hrs/week, and still makes time.

Caffeine just makes me sleepy.

No, I don't have ADHD or ADD.

Not everyone has the same body chemistry. The end.

Honestly, playing Dark Knight Returns Batman in an Adam West Batman setting can be pretty humorous.