MtG: Modern General

TEMPO EDITION

What are some of you favorite ways to gain tempo advantages?

What deck has the ability to use that advantage most efficiently and why is it grixis delver

Magnets? How do they Work?

All of this and more in today's Magic: the Gathering: Modern General: Dawn of Justice: Resurrection the Thread 2. This time it personal

RESOURCES
Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
A New Modern
channelfireball.com/articles/a-new-modern-with-aether-revolt/

Playin'?
Hatin'?
Makin'?

Best ancestral visions deck for modern? I got all the blue fetches

nahiri jeskai. honestly can't think of any other deck that uses it as well it does

Grixis Control?

Sometimes I like to gain tempo by drawing lots of cards for free

With Dark Dwellers for maximum value?

I'll admit I wasn't paying attention and got Modern mixed up with Standard format, do we have a thread for Standard around here?

>What are some of you favorite ways to gain tempo advantages?

>best version
good taste

Hey, if we're going to have a constant general rather than a general when someone feels like posting one, can we at least wait until the old thread hits page 10 before making a new thread? It's just common courtesy.

Kys

Been trying to make mardu vehicles work in modern. But it's got that old mardu problem, sick removal and not much else...at least to close out the game...

Grixis Control works great with Ancestrals

Fuck Dark Dwellers though. I would never add that to a Grixis Control list if I was being at all serious.

> What are some of you favorite ways to gain tempo advantages?
Is a turn 2 Thoughtknot tempo advantage? If so, then that's my answer.

I wait till the thread hits bump limit, and the way I've been doing has generally been roping everybody into the new thread. And no I won't sit there waiting for the dead thread to hit page ten. If the mods want it gone they can delete. Nobody's posted in it since I've made this one

I'd say so. On turn two you rip their hand and get a 4/4 for your trouble. And without path it's pretty hard to answer. Not a typical tempo play like remand, but I think it lies in the same general line of play. I played against a guy who kept insisting that pathing in response to the trigger was the best way. After asking are you sure for the second yine, I just let him play it. I don't think he ever realized his mistake, because he did several time after that

Why would you not path in response to the trigger? They'll just take the path otherwise

If you only have one answer to it in hand, isn't that the way to go about it?

If you have two path or path+snap you should let the trigger resolve, but otherwise if he has only one answer then TKS will just take it.

Same reason you never naturalize in response to O-ring. The leaves the battlefield trigger goes on the stack and resolves first, then the enter the battlefield trigger resolves and the card gets exiled never to return I just helped you git gud

That's not how it works. They just draw the card then you can see their hand. I guess I can't expect much from someone playing eldrazi

Read the card you dingus

Eldrazi players being illiterate and more news at 11.

I was talking about O-ring. If you guys want to give your opponent more hand info by all means. The less cards thought nazi sees the better. I geuss the old pasta is true

Being unable to answer a 4/4 is much worse

Sure, if reality smasher isnt coming next. Or a reality smasher. Or another seer. Eldrazi is so fun

Could have sworn i typed world breaker...

Stop posting.

Not even that guy, but he's right. So what if they rip your path. You should be casting a Karn or wurmcoil next turn anyway. Having your opponent see what you draw is detrimental to making sure thought-knots don't take appropriate answers vs. eldrazi

Path is the appropriate answer, letting them take it is fucking retarded.

>-3: exile target permanent
It's like you don't even play modern. Why would you let eldrazi players ramp even more than they already do? Only one deck can have gross mana advantage in this meta

No, use the black expertise spell from aether revolt that way visions isn't a dead draw past turn 2.

Is that seeing play in grixis/jund? I havent moderned siince AER was released and seems pretty filthy

>giving your opponent a clock in the hope you randomly top deck karn

>randomly top anything in tron
And that's how i know you really don't play modern

Any deck that runs ancestral could swap out damnation for it and do some dirty stuff

do you honestly think tron doesn't always have a karn, o-stone, or path in hand? no matter what tron has answers for everything in eldrazi in the current meta. that's why bant eldrazi has seen way more gameplay lately. though any midrange still fold to it

Is Esper Narset a meme deck or nah

wondering if I should get Snaps 3-4 (instead of just snap #3), playset of colonnade, playset of cryptic

or 2 narset, 3 gideon, playsets of IoK/Thoughtseize

In generally most cases, not pathing the TKS is the right line of play almost all the time but board state will be factor as well for particular circumstances..

By keeping the Path in hand you will force your opponent to decide between taking the removal and protecting their TKS or one of your relevant bigger threats. If you Path immediately you just make their decision easier as they will take one of your threats instead.

This

If path is the card getting exiled, either your hand is shit or your going to lose regardless

>Is Esper Narset a meme deck or nah
It kind of is.

It's not terrible, but it's only good at cheesing other fair decks. With no clock and no counters combo decks (and tron) will just weather the discard early on and then topdeck their stuff later and kill you.

Draw-go is harder to play, but is just as good against Jund, is also decent against combo, and can be tuned to beat Burn or Tron (but probably not both).

Random top decks have been the name of the game since the eye ban, because your land tutors are dead draws after assembling Tron. Assuming Stirrings always hits (it doesn't) and you have infinite mana for the purpose of cracking eggs drawing Karn after turn 3 is only like 1/5 and that's being optimistic. Being 1 mana off an Ulamog when dob is a daily thing.

But your hand being shit is determined by what your opponent can and can't answer. A 5/6 goyf in hand is great if they've just got that thoughtknot and a smasher, but if they've got their own path or a drowner then they'll be very happy to let you keep the goyf and smash your face in. If your opponent can deal with your hand they'll take the path, keep their 4/4 and the card it would have drawn you. If they can't they'll take what they can't deal with and you'll end up pathing anyway. Letting your opponent make the choice on the off chance the top card of your library is better than everything else is your already not 'shit' hand is silly.

any good red deck wins decks out there now for modern havent played in over two years

how do you think it would face off vs jeskai control, faeries and 3 color CoCo decks?

no mono red, but naya burn hasn't changed since DTK really

so its called naya burn now ?

Narset would be better against Jeskai and Faeries because of Lingering Souls and main deck discard.

Draw-go would be better against CoCo because it plays more instant-speed interaction and has more Wraths.

Those are all solid MUs for both decks, though.

Pretty much. I personally like to call the deck Lightning Bolt Tribal

has been since 2008

How fun to play is Forbidden Orchard bant combo?

Is it worth buying into or is it a shit meme deck?

I've never seen this meme, mind showing us it??

I'm assuming it's an Intruder Alarm Orchard deck? using mistform variants and zendikon variants (which there are a lot of now)

It seems pretty sweet, and BFZ/OGW gave it some nice redundancy pieces.

hands down

having this in a blue shell with a lot of instants and snapcasters is amazing.

>What are some of you favorite ways to gain tempo advantages?
Bloodtree Emissary.

>Magnets? How do they Work?
Kind of like banding.

>Playing pyromancer in a format without probes
Why would you do this?

>playing the shit show that is modern
Why would you do this?

>Playing the shitshow that is Magic; The Gathering™
Why would you do this?

>Playing the shitshow that is TCGs
Why would you do this?

>Living
Why would you do this?

Post non-legal cards that should be legal.

Brainstorm

>embracing nihilism
why would you do this?

Git probe

That is legal tho

I'd like to see Price of Progress or anything else that can punish 3+ color decks. Not because I think they're degenerate or that I can't afford mana bases, but because I think there should be a real cost to playing more than 2 colors. (Other than losing a little life sometimes)

Force of Will would be interesting, but probably wouldn't see much play (seeing as how it's mainly a combo- deterant and gets sided out in a lot of matchups).

Cabal Therapy could be fun, but without Git Probe, it's pretty meh.

Oh, and Shardless Agent. Because BUG.

>He doesn't realize price of progress is literally already built into every deck
>He thinks having multi colored decks isn't already a disadvantage if you're playing against any aggro deck

Pic related + the cycle lands.

I mean, it kind of is, but especially with all the new lands coming out, people have moved away from so many shocks (at least locally) and to fastlands, battlelands, etc.

On top of that, I've been seeing a rise of 4c midrange- ish decks locally also. So maybe I'm just biased.

I'd fuck with astral in Modern, this is a good post.

Sinkhole

>4c midrange
>Implying burn needs any help beating this deck
Laffin is me.

Literally everyone loves astral slide.
I maintain that prison is often the most fun archetype to play against, and people don't believe me because almost every fun prison deck is called control and the rest (lantern, mono black pox) are called 'control' whenever they gain legitimacy.

>Prison is fun to play against
What the fuck are you talking about?

do you also enjoy forcibly receiving anal sex?

mainboarding a -3/-3 sweeper? absolutely haram

Help humiliating into them into dropping their Jeskai CoCo brew instead of going, "Man, I'm paired with the only Burn player. Maybe when I lose, I should make some tweaks and come back next week"

PoP would just let me finish my rounds in the fastest and most shaming way possible.

Have you ever played against mono black pox in legacy or lantern (when you play a non creature deck or D&T style deck)? It is basically the most fun you can have while playing magic.
People hate prison because of blood moon chalice style bullshit, which I call hard prison because it actually makes you not play. Soft prison like astral slide, enchantress, intuition lands, and mono black pox are all extremely fun to play against. (lantern control has hard prison aspect ensnaring bridge against creature decks but against combo or control it's fun as it is softer)
Hard prison is like rape. Soft prison is like bondage.

my person of african american descent

If you don't like playing against any deck that tries to stop what you're doing, why do you even play the game?

>Hard prison is like rape. Soft prison is like bondage

that's a pretty good way to put it

nigger i still get cold sweats at night from meme decks that rush blood moon/chalice.

lantern is the worst because they can't even kill you properly i swear to god i will never concede to a lantern player on g3 even if they have the lock.

Never concede to Lantern players, they know what they signed up for by registering that deck, make them earn it.

>lantern is the worst because they can't even kill you properly
>I hate lantern because the game goes on after it has already effectively been decided
>I don't end the game that frustrates me because I value my opponent's misery over my own happiness
>The reason why I hate lantern players is specifically because I won't concede to them
How do you not realize how fundamentally wrong your behavior is?

>he doesn't like getting fucked in the ass
Faggot

>Lantern player's feel so entitled to victory that they expect their opponents to just concede long before they are dead

>not conceding when there's all mill rocks in play + double bridge
I play Lantern and I don't mind playing a game out once the lock is in place, but I always wonder why people do it when it's impossible for you to do anything? I mean when a proper lock is in place you'd need 3+ draws in a row to get a card you want and most decks don't have that many live cards against lantern to begin with. Is it just to attempt to go to time if you have a slow as fuck lantern pilot? I mean I get playing to your "outs" and all but I'm trying to understand the thought process and just can't.

Even if your opponent doesn't have any creatures a 4 mana draw 3 spell is inoffensive, on par with harmonize/meditate
if you are a spicy memelord you cast expertise and visions, and then cast dank dwellers the next turn, casting visions again.

I don't play lantern, I just think it is irrational to not try to maximize the amount of fun that you have. Unless there's a ton of money on the line, when there's no real chance there's no real point.

>herp derp if you don't want ppl to interact with you why play the game
>lantern literally prevents you from interacting

Not even that guy but I'd play like a dick just to spite you for running a deck with no real win condition. You signed up to play Lantern, what did you expect?

>>lantern literally prevents you from interacting
Yes that is literally what almost every interactive card does (counterspells, discard, removal)...
Except creatures I guess. Maybe we should all just play with those?

>Muh poor tarmogoyfs, why cant I turn them sideways DX

>lantern starts with all of it's pieces on the field
>implying lantern isn't interactive until it turns the corner and locks you out which takes a couple of turns most of the time.

A draw counts for more than a loss.

>No real win condition
Oh I didn't realize getting a hard lock and milling your opponent meant the game wasn't over.

>No win condition
You'll just get milled to death once you're locked out and I'm pretty sure that counts as a wincon even if it's slow as fuck.

>you for running a deck with no real win condition
But this is only a bad thing if you don't concede. Your point has already been addressed.

Milling your opponent takes time. You can't make your opponent scoop, no matter how much you keep telling them to.

>You can't make your opponent scoop
You can advise them to scoop though, and they aren't retardedly spiteful, there's a good chance they should take that advice.

That will realistically only happen if the lantern player has some disability and can't play fast enough or if you're purposefully slowplaying them, at which point I'd be inclined to call a judge.

Is that really why people play this out? To bitch and moan and hope they can get a draw?

>assembles "combo"
>In this moment i am euphoric
>Tips fedora