/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does anyone have any advice on how to run a session(s) where players are tracking down a target?

Specifically my players are trying to track down some frost giants that had fled from an attack on Bryn Shander the day before. Like I'm not sure how to mechanically work it so it's interesting.

I get the impression that the players should encounter evidence that the giants had passed by an area, but I don't know how how to make it non-linear. In my mind, I'm thinking it would play out something like "the players encounter the camp of the giants, then they find some carcasses where the giants ate lunch, then they find a caravan which had been demolished, then they find the giants." But that seems way too linear and predetermined.

>in court
>attack cop
>get disintegrated
>wahhhh

Get Gud

>wizards obsessively study the nature of the Weave and have quantified magical fluctuations to a point where specific symbols, gestures, and vocalizations can produce a standardized, desired effect in a trained user every time
>but no one can know a greatsword is twice as damaging as a shortsword in the hands of the average person

So for Detect Thoughts I need verbal, somatic and material of a copper. If I wave my hands around and mumble nonsense in front of someone I'm casting it on, that's obviously sketchy. Can I just flick a copper to the target and say "penny for your thoughts"? I'm super new to all this.

>The rules are not the physics of the universe
Good to know that I don't have to be a Tabaxi Barbarian Monk to run as fast as an Olympic athlete, I just have to explain to the DM that humans are capable at running at speeds much greater than the >7mph allowable by the rules which is slower than jogging speed IRL

The running speeds in the DMG aren't a sprint.

That depends on your DM, but strictly speaking, no. Casting magic is obvious to anyone who knows what magic is; you are either fiddling with a material component (be it a discrete object or a bunch of nothing from your component pouch), handling an focus (like a religious symbol, crystal, rod), waving your arms around in a weird fashion, and saying magical gobbledegak. You can disguise maybe one or two of these with distance, positioning, sleight of hand, etc., but you're not going to do all three when you're standing three feet in front of a guy.

>be in mines
>turns out mine is haunted by enough incorporeal undead to count as a grade 12 dungeon
>barely escape with life
>get fined for being in a level 12 dungeon without level 12 dungeon insurance
>guy behind me keeps hitting me in the back of the head with eldritch blasts and calling me a cuck
>judge doesn't disintegrate him because "you're a level 8 miner with ghostdelver class feature, you look like you have a constitution of 14, you'll be fine after a short rest, suck it up buttercup"
>can't pay fine
>get dropped into the vampire pits to be made into a mob so that I can repay my debt to society

I guess that depends on the DM, I assume you can be sneaky about the way you cast but it would most likely require some sort of performance or deception roll to mask the incantation in the phrase "penny for your thoughts", sneakily touch your focus and do the appropriate gesturing without it being obvious that magic is happening

>DASH-ing is slower than both sprinting and jogging
Uh,

How are the incantations and gestures determined though? It just necessarily has to be sketchy and irregular? I'll be playing a bard for the record.

Well, as a Bard, you are probably playing an instrument because it serves as your spellcasting focus and your somatic gestures can be performed by the holding hand(s).

WTF ranger

Look at it this way. No matter what happens, they're going to be following some kind of trail to the giants. Maybe they ask around and see which direction they went, maybe they find their footprints or some blood. It's technically impossible to have a "Completely Non-Linear" tracking segment because you're always going to be following a trail.

Give them options- And then link those options to other things that allow them to track them down.

Honestly, by any actual reading of the rules, no. You can't just say anything to cast a verbal component spell, you need to "chant mystic words" and produce a "particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance"

And spellcasting gestures are "forceful gesticulation or intricate set of gestures"

Both quotes from the PHB. The components exist for a reason, they're there as a game balance thing to make wizards a little less bullshit in social situations like that.

>I walk up to him and look him right in the eye, holding a copper coin and cast the spell, motioning and speaking right at him as if addressing. Almost immediately, I play it off as having asked him in [obscure language] as it's a common saying where I'm from, and ask "Penny for your thoughts?"
Then I'd have you roll Deception vs Insight and/or Arcana. You've gotta have the setup to make the con work, though.

Use the Ranger revised 2 UA; there's a reason it's AL legal.

It's really up to your DM but it's not too crazy that you could appear to be absent-mindedly strummimg your lute and singing verses of a song in the middle of conversation, I know quite a few musicians and they tend to do that now and then

This is honestly how D&D should be played. The mechanics are an abomination.

Alright. I'll probably still try it, maybe try what said. Adjust in the future if specific parts cause problems.

The thing I'm confused about is why they specify "mystic words" then go on to say "The words themselves aren't the source of the spell's power; rather the particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance, sets the threads of magic in motion."

You're wasting an hour short resting, and that's time you could have spent making money in an appropriately-leveled dungeon. Not to mention that since you lack a short rest healing feature like Second Wind, you'll need to expend HD to get that health back.

The judge should fine that Warlock, plus battery, which should cover your fine for traipsing into an inappropriate dungeon. Contact the DCLU for representation.

So how are bards supposed to cast anything with material components if you're playing anything that requires two hands?

Tell me about your dry spell, 5eg.

Mine's approaching one year and I want to feel better by pitying those less fortunate than me.

Wait, where does it say it's legal? I'd love to take one.

>'Rocks fall, you die unless you succeed save'ing on your players, ever

Your spellcasting focus is the material component. As for components with costs, you just whip that out before/during your mandolin solo and it magically vaporizes as you shred away.

The music instrument is the spell focus.

I'm not sure it is yet, but the ranger revised pdf did mention they would make it so at some point if it was rated highly enough.

I never saw this mentioned on here when it was released.
media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf

Anyone have an opinion on the relative balance of the races? Vampire seems a little boring unless you're constantly using the blood drain... which admittedly sounds a bit like saying "half-Fire elemental is a bit boring unless you're setting things on fire". Doesn't scale with level, either.

Also, I'm hoping there's a scan or a pdf of the art book they're mentioning, but I'm not finding it. I bet a Zendikar campaign would appeal to the chronic MtG addicts I know, but I don't personally know anything about the setting.

I just had sex a couple weeks ago actually, it wasn't very good though

mfw it autocorrected sex to dex

I could literally be in a Pathfinder game every day of the week if I wanted to but absolutely no one I know wants to play 5e, so I've never played and have just followed the threads on and off since Next testing.

I've had exactly one game not fall apart at session 0 over dumb interpersonal bullshit and it was nearly all the way back at release.

The last game I'd played before that was a campaign of 3.5 in 2012.

>fighting anything
>I attack his balls with my warhammer

>you see a large wooden chest with gold lining and a circle of light shines down on it from an ornate light fixture
>it's a trap, let's move on, I inspect all the walls in the room
>you detect a current of warm, humid tank smelling air flowing out from a slight crack in the wall
>I look for a switch or some other device
>you reach your fingers into the crack and feel many sharp blades
>I try to open it, carefully so that I don't cut myself
>the door lunges at you and bites into both of your arms
>told initiative

>I could literally fuck a crack addict for $10 every day of the week if I wanted to but absolutely no one I know with standards or physical beauty wants to screw me
this isn't a diss on you, user, but a comparison of PF with crack whores

>fighting anything
>I attack its skull with my warhammer

Dashing lets you make sharp turns and even reverse course on a dime with no loss of movement. It is clearly not running, jogging, or sprinting.

Girlfriend and I waiting to get married before doing the deed. Don't really mind the dry spell.

It is not AL legal. Get your damn eyes checked.

So how do you roleplay a ranger?

I've never played a class with an inbuilt connection before (ranger, cleric, warlock).

>mfw it autocorrected sex to dex
top sides m8

Don't forget you can do all of this in combat while avoiding enemies and doing whatever other actions you have while also in whatever armour you're wearing without getting tired, etc etc

Rogues don't get a 50% speed boost the moment they get cunning action. They get a 50% speed boost in combat, but not sprinting.

I am in a Play by Post right now and got laid in late August.

Why would anyone Play by Post D&D instead of using just about literally any other system

DEUS VULT

Why don't martial characters get a resource mechanic like spellcasters do? Sure, monks have Ki, but that's more like the Sorcerer's Sorcery Pool rather than Spell Slots. Casters gain access to more, and better, spells every time they level up. Their options in and out of combat expand continuously, and those options quickly start to go above and beyond what martial characters can accomplish. Martial characters get useful, solid abilities for offence and defence, I'm not denying that at all. But outside of being a Battlemaster or picking up spellcasting, your tactical options are very limited. Options like grappling and disarming exist, but they don't really get any better as you level up, they don't expand in scope or achieve more useful results.

I quite like 5E but I can't stand to play it for more than three sessions. It's frustrating to play, say, a Fighter and not being able to do much other than attack or ask the GM to improvise an ability check. The Battlemaster is good in that it codifies martial maneuvers, but there aren't many and spellcasters still have you beat in versatility by a million miles. Outside of combat magic is so useful as a problem-solving tool that skills just can't keep up. Martial characters need options and resources on the same level as spells, maybe not as powerful or as plentiful, but certainly as useful for solving problems and granting new tactical options in battle.

Are her arms different lengths?

Can you give a few examples of martial abilities that would useful for solving problems?

My reason were
>bad connection
>sure to get bored rolling dices for more than 20 minutes.
>couldn't something appealing on Roll20
not saying I made the right choice notice.

The better question is why is the character in your pic-related clearly wearing heels when she obviously intends on going into a combat situation?

If it's forum posts, I kind of like the idea, because there's no real delay between sessions providing you can get people to post.
You don't have to worry about organising play times and all that.

One of D&D's biggest issues is getting people together consistently over and over.

.. Still not saying it's great.

Maybe she just got off a horse.

Monks are actually exactly what you're describing. Full of out of combat utility powers.

Unfortunately, DnD simultaneously wants to have high power casters but not anime swordsmen, so for pure martials it's largely intractable.

>do dumb shit
>get the hammer dropped
>waaah
Because it makes the 3e grogs angry.

Scroll to the Martial Options page

>Do dumb shit
>Okay I'm taking all control over your character away and killing them instantly, it's not like D&D is supposed to be interactive and develop situations but instead just shut everything down with 'you die'

Play by post can be a lot of fun if you find the right sorts of people for it. But you kinda need to pick your system carefully. D&D is a terrible pick for play by post because of the huge prevalence of combat and the slowness of it. A single fight could take weeks if people partaking in it can't login every day, you might have to wait days between turns.

There are some actual systems that have been designed with play by post in mind, and in those, combat and other conflicts are almost always resolved by a single die roll not to bog things down.

>4e was here, our dwarves are thiccer than yours AND look less pissed off

Some people don't understand the difference between "doing what my character would do, within the confines of reasonable meta assumptions, such as party coherence" and "doing what is smart and optimal from a purely meta perspective"

How often do you play marital classes?

Never. Bachelors forever.

im trying to think of a way to use 5e rules for a dungeon crawl, but where the DM is playing to kill the players. like every encounter he gets X amount of XP and every like 5 encounters the players get a long rest or something, in an attempt to make the game like a strategical dungeon crawl for the players (with no RP) and a strategical dungeon defense for the DM.
anyone know of something like this?

Isn't that just Dungeon World or whatever?

>in a lawful abiding court
>judge has already proven to be a capable spellcaster
>attack with intent to kill someone in his court
>attacked by legal authority with the same intent
Disintegrate doesn't take control of your character away from you, user.
It just kills you unless you save.
Are you... serious?

i mean i want the DM to be able to go full out trying to kill our characters, is that how dungeon world does it?

Have you got any examples. You're not coming across as a very appealing GM so far.

I let my players do literally anything they can come up with just with impossible modifiers. They get the satisfaction of rolling and their descriptive roleplaying is rewarded (even if it is with a fake reward) which encourages the others and raises the mood of the table.

Surely if they were in court they were disarmed and the cops could just easily restrain any manhandling behaviour with batons.

That said I'm a very improvisational GM so each their own.

Yo, Meganon, if you're here, can we get the Planeshift Races and Inquisitor background added to 5etools? They are a WotC digital product, after all.

Good man.

Truly one of us.

>the cops could just easily restrain any manhandling behaviour with batons
This is assuming the cops would respond to lethal force with lesser force.
Why?
Even then, a warlock doesn't need weapons in order to use eldritch blast by rote.
I see no reason to bend a situation that the players make for themselves to something easier because character death is a possibility. Maybe the player should not have done something so massively stupid and forgotten they are not the biggest cock on the walk?

Personally? I play him like a farmboy that played a few too many times running about the woods and watching owls that gave him fantastical and unrealistic expectations of Elves.

For the first couple of levels, he was pretending to be an elf, to NPCs and the party (with the DM's permission), but once they ran across actual elves, the guise fell apart.

I played most of his ranger-ness off as common sense things he'd picked up from being in the forest a lot, and tracking deer and the like; little signs that would be overlooked by somebody less practiced, like a broken branch with slightly yellowing leaves implying something relatively heavy came through here probably a day or so, stuff like that.

>It doesn't take away control of your character
>It just gives you a % chance that you will never see your character again without true ressurection or something

It isn't entirely clear the guy would pull a fucking disintegration beam out of nowhere rather than what has already been proven to be a much better case - 'hold person'. Hold person would temporarily take power away, but leaves the player with the option of trying to escape the several people grappling them after they eventually save and once they get thrown in jail they still have options, and it all makes more sense since the point of court is to trial people without sending them to instant unmoderated death.

It's very unlikely they'd escape jail or escape being detained, but the options are still there and the character isn't gone for good, even if the player won't see that character for a long time. Either way, a 'roll this save or you die and if you save he'll just launch more attacks to kill you anyway' is a lot less fun for everyone.

Hey I reformatted that homebrew Oath I made. I'd appreciate feedback, if you have the time!

well I'll answer that at face value just because but that same warlock or certainly many other spellcasters could have similar spells to corrupt or influence minds that courts in magic realms would be protected against.

Whatever works for you bro. If your players keep coming back then you must be doing fine.

Why the hell aren't these courts equipped with antimagic fields?

Has no one ever tried to kill anyone else in a courtroom in this setting? Are these adventurers the first time the court has ever tried magical people, and if so, why aren't they more tightly restrained?

>tfw I'm also the DM
>get to fuck my players every week with devious traps and fuckhuge monsters

Don't forget that DnD is meant to be a power fantasy for the DM not those idiot players who keep showing up and going off track!

I think that's a bit more to do with how much the system was simplified from 3.path to 5e. 3.path had a metric fuck ton of different fight moves you could do, trips, bulrushes, grabs, ect,ect. They were just confusing in 3rd and sucked ass if you didn't feat build for them in path. And in both most of the time you were just better off getting your big fighter damage anyway. That's one of the 'down sides' of trying to streamline a system. I would love if 5e had a CMB/CMD thing like path, but it kinda goes against how extremely fast and loose wizards wants 5e to be.

>Player REALLY wants to make a custom class
>I REALLY don't want to allow a custom class

I can't find any guides on how to make custom content so how do I let him down nicely? Or are there resources for making custom classes that won't be imbalanced as fuck?

What I did when my player tried it with me is I went the "I'm still trying to get my bearing with the game and balance, and I'm not sure what is or isn't massively OP"

No, tell him to deal with it

>cops
This Perry Mason at renfaire conjecture is incredibly silly. There are no cops, the city watch is about 100 guys who only deal with the most flagrant shit and even then not that much.

There's a reason there had to be laws against stabbing profs over exam questions at Oxford. People are going to show up at the courtroom either armed or in chains.

tell him no and offer maybe to change a few features in an existing class/subclass that fits what he wants to play more. he either wants to munchkin with an OP class or what he wants to play is only slightly or superficially different than something wizards has currently published.

Cunning actions, rages, superiority die, ki, spell slots for the partial casters.

Reminds me of one of my sessions

>Joke with players that this building in the city has a Magic-Free Zone sign out front
>Sorcerer: "See if that stops me!"
>Walks into central lobby packed with citizens
>Casts Chromatic Orb at a vase to prove who is boss around here
>Crowd panics, people trampling over each other trying to escape, alarms blaring, mass chaos
>City Guards confront with crossbows
>GET ON THE GROUND FUCKER
>Sorcerer claims he dindu nuffin
>Gets shot in the arm, guards tackle to subdue and restrain
>Other 2 players don't want to murder a couple guards, they stay out of it
>Sorcerer gets arrested for Casting without a License, Endangering the Public, and Vandalism
>Has expedited court hearing that afternoon with the magistrate
>Players in the audience
>"Son, do you understand why you've been arrested?"
>Sorcerer: "Not really your Honor, all I did was cast this-"
>Guards freak out when he raises his hands
>MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC!
>Gets shot again, dogpiled, gagged and restrained
>Currently in prison for attempted murder on a judge

I figure next session the other players will try to bail him out, play lawyers, or break him out of prison. I never expected this to happen, but I'm having fun and the other players are. Sorcerer says I'm an asshole, I overruled his opinion.

In my experience, the players that want to play a custom class do so because they want to tinker with the system, any perceived flaw or gap is just an excuse to do so

>city doesn't allow casting
>casts
>gets mad when he's punished

Your overrule is justified

You ARE an asshole if you didn't make it clear to the players out of character* that magic doesn't fly in this location / setting. Otherwise, carry on.

* Many, many, many DMs fail to realize that players will gleefully interprate any and every in-character warning as a sign that thing is exactly what you want them to do

>Sorcerer: "Not really your Honor, all I did was cast this-"
>Guards freak out when he raises his hands

This is the part where your story transitioned from implausible into "shit that never happened". There's no version of that actually playing out around a table that works as a rational series of events involving people.

>Many, many, many DMs fail to realize
I think by that point it's about players not realizing.

>tfw DMs run their medieval cities like the city guard is telepathic gestapo

See, THIS is how you do it. No disintegrate bullshit.

>* Many, many, many DMs fail to realize that players will gleefully interprate any and every in-character warning as a sign that thing is exactly what you want them to do

That's why you break your players of this habit.

Is innate telepathy as a racial feature too much? Or is it the kind of thing reserved for class features/spells?

Thanks. Yeah I have experience with other games, but totally new to 5e so I really wouldn't be able to gauge whether it's OP or total shit. I think I will have to tell him that I just want a straightforward game and if he wants his dream character he'll have to do it in another game.

That really helps. It seems like a decent compromise to make a couple minor changes if it would make him happy. He doesn't want to munchkin and just wants a more even blend between magic and martial and none are really an even split that he's happy with. I'm comfortable with tweaking, but trying to invent a new class wholesale is a bit much.

It's really not. The problem is, a lot of the time DMs they're being subtle, when in reality they're sending mixed messages. This is when you get stuff like people giving the advice that, in order to tell players that a monster is too strong for them, they should describe all the danger and dead adventurers and so on so forth. But players get told that stuff to some degree about EVERY monster they encounter, because a large chunk of the game is making something sound scary so the players feel accomplished when they kill it.

A simple out of character warning, insures everyone gets the message, and costs nothing. And it can just as easily accompany all that flavor text, if you're really into that stuff.

It's fine, if it balances out with other things.

It's a level 1 warlock thing anyway.

that's odd. between paladin, cleric, bladesinger, bladelock, eldrich knight, ranger, and stone sorcerer, he can't find something that's a good blend of magic and martial? have you suggested multiclassing to him?

Yeah, I don't know what exactly he's looking for so he's thinking about multiclassing now. I think he more wants to make a class for fun, but I wanted Veeky Forums's advice in case he's really serious about it.

Paladin6/sorcererX
Paladin
Eldritch Knight
Arcane Trickster
Fighter1/Pact of the Blade WarlockX
Bladelock5/RogueX
Stone Sorcerer
Valor Bard

Those are most of the possibilities off of the top of my head I'd recommend. Of course bladelock for example isn't the best thing ever but it's not unservicable with a level of fighter.

What's wrong with the extant ones?

Have you considered some of the less bullshit UA archetypes?