So I just had my first ever DnD session a few days ago - all of us, DM included...

So I just had my first ever DnD session a few days ago - all of us, DM included, are first timers - and I've got the itch. I had a blast, and I'm desperate to play some more, but I can't wait the whole two weeks before we get together again!

Is there any DnD-esque quick fix I can get between then and now?

If you've got downtime in game, why not play out your characters via E-mail? Use that E-mail time to flesh out the towns you're in, or maybe have a mini adventure in the tavern- like I don't know have a dart throwing contest, a drinking contest, a bard contest. I don't know.

It's what I would do in those situations. Check with your other players and see if they're game for it too though.

Seems like an alright idea. They're a bit hard to get ahold of though...

Any ideas for just one person?

Depends, where are you in the game?

Make sure to forward the interaction to the DM though.

We just got back to the tavern, so it'd likely be the opportune time

>cool concept
>cute art
The real question is, who the hell plays in a ten person group?

Is your DM involved in this too, or does he have time?

No time, unfortunately.

Four That Guy attention hogs plus assorted hangers-on, gfs, that one foreign exchange student who rarely talks, etc.

I'm the old dungeon crawling days, casualties were hight and it wasn't uncommon for players to run multiple characters.

Hmm, then I would make a situation that both you and the other player can proceed with without the need for any NPC.

Perhaps a simple dialogue, or a knife throwing or drinking contest? I'm thinking of anything that can purely be driven by the players without any DM intervention. Make this a character development thing.

See what I'm getting at?

Fair enough. Maybe I can start a dialogue with the Fighter since he seems to be the only one that isn't suspicious of me.

Ok. So since there are 9 characters, we can safely assume there aren't 5 players.

But probably 3 with 3 characters each or possibly 4 with 2 characters and 1 dmpc follower.

One player could just be full of himself and only brought one character

Munchkin

It's like Jazz or Improv, just play off of each other, and you'll go places.

Munchkin's good for a fun little board game, but its a bit too much on the 'rollplay' side and less roleplay.

vidya games
the board games can be done solo and are decent way to get bulk minis

>>But probably 3 with 3 characters each

The real question is how would people even roleplay that properly. It takes a good 15 minutes into a session to get into the perfect mindset, voice, and behavior. Switching between three characters would ensure none of them get any proper screentime or attention, and without player attachment/investment they would never become more than bland generic tropes.

Its an old module designed for convention play and high fatality. You'd cram as many people at a table and see how far you could get before dieing. It wasn't really about pretending to be the main character of a fantasy story.

in ye olden days groups that big weren't uncommon

art by Jason Thompson aka Mockman

>It takes a good 15 minutes into a session to get into the perfect mindset, voice, and behavior

You sound like a very serious roleplayer. Tomb of Horrors is probably not for you.

Tomb of horrors is more of a dngeon crawler, so you will not e that able to roleplay. That's notthe module for you.