Compilation of medieval bestiaries:
bestiary.ca/

Middle ages worldbuilding tools:
www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm
qzil.com/kingdom/
lucidphoenix.com/dnd/demo/kingdom.asp
mathemagician.net/Town.html

Mining! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining
>How does mining happen in your setting/country?
>Who does the mining?
>What do they mine?
>Are there any creatures living in mines that are dangerous or require attention?
>If there is no mining happening, where does the country acquire necessary metals?
>Anything else?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/j65nP6pL
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you guys make world maps set over longer periods of time? Like, one map made for every 100 years of history of your world?

The Underground has a pretty large series of natural tunnels. Mining groups tend to ride around the upper levels, looking for visible veins of any given material. The most valuable of which is unrefined Mercurium.

>Who does the mining?
Generally, either a government department or a company that is overseen by them in some way.
My setting's WWI was fought over mining rights, so nations are anal about who mines where, and where it goes after.

>What do they mine?
Unrefined Mercurium is the main item of value. Its refined version acts as the world's main fuel, powering all modern innovations. It's also used to make Mercurial Amber, which is the main material of what are essentially magic CPUs.

>Are there any creatures living in mines that are dangerous or require attention?
The upper levels are generally safe. The deeper you go, the more resource-rich the tunnels are as well as the more danger. As the upper levels are still generally profitable, few people explore below.

>Anything else?
Unrefined Mercurium is unique in that, while having properties like metal, it's actually a resin formed by tiny burrowing plant swarms. So veins naturally grow, and suddenly "appear" once a vein hits a tunnel.

I don't. It's not something I view as all that necessary. The point of a map in my games is just so players have an idea of where things are, so a map from 200 years ago is just a lot more work than saying "City X was owned by Country Y 200 years ago." That said, I do have a timeline of how borders have changed and such. But that's just text, since it's easier to make and change compared to an actually nice map.

It wouldn't be hard to have different layers that can be toggled on/off with photoshop. Then just draw approximate borders.

Biggest problem is that I would have to finish my map first.

>not making two maps per year
>not flipping through them to animate the changes in borders over time
git gud

These threads always have the most cringe-inducing forced discussion.

>Like, one map made for every 100 years of history of your world?
Yep, that is what I planned to do anyway. Pic related is a more of a mock-up thing or an experiment of how various historical maps could work.
I obviously do not redraw the whole map every time: just adjust it a bit in inkscape or gimp to display relevant information.
That said, I really have not been working on it lately.

You've contributed so much, thank you!

I like your map. Can you tell me about the history of Marks tribe, how did it form up?

:bump!~

>we got sump and a pump
>Chute and stope
>Raise and a cage
>Drifts and a skip

>it's the cow map again

fuck off

I'm working on a map for a campaign I am running. Any feedback for the first draft of the main continents shape?

Have any of you built a world from the bottom up? How did it go for you?

Cannot say much about the continent without mountains, but what is with that peninsula in middle?

Someone might find this interesting.
"A 1576 illustration of Paris by Melchior Rossingol, who called it a "natural portrait of the city" rather than a map."

You mean from caverns to mountain tops? If that then no.

>You mean from caverns to mountain tops? If that then no.

I mean beginning with a small immediate area, and growing out from there.

Not a top down design where you figure out cosmology, geography, the big overarching concepts, and fit all the pieces together..

Instead you begin with like a major town, surrounding wilderness, and a dungeon or two, and grow out from there. You don't begin with a massive world idea, things develop organically from a small starting point.

Oh hey, it's thoroughly-lacking-in-self-awareness guy. I remember you slinging shit that betrayed a big ol' whiff of smug self-importance and obliviousness.

I remember you getting really defensive when I pointed out it made no sense for the people of this world to know their continent looked like a cow and name regions after the corresponding body parts, like I just insulted your favorite deviantart OC

This was me. I just pointed out that what "made no sense" has in fact been used for a great many naming conventions in real life and that your argument was full of holes.

I am trying to come up with ideas for the northern regions of my setting, but I'm having a hard time with it.

For locales, I seem to be stuck with frozen tundra, cold stone deserts, snowy evergreen forests, tall mountains clad in permafrost, frozen plains that cover the sea and the like.

As for the inhabitants, I wish to avoid not!vikings and not!russians like the plague, so I'm dipping my feet with some sort of snow-tuaregs. The few permanent settlements mostly serve as trade outposts between tribes and for trade with foreigners.

I however have no idea of how to build up this region of the setting and I could use some input. The setting is low-magic, humans only.

Does anyone have a checklist for quick-and-dirty/preliminary worldbuilding when expanding a setting?

and yet you repost the map with changed place names and hide the cow horns so it doesn't look as much like a cow

sounds like someone couldn't handle the bantz and backpedalled

>Does anyone have a checklist for quick-and-dirty/preliminary worldbuilding when expanding a setting?
No, but I bet we can whip one up in a sec.

>where do people get their food from
>what do they build things out of
>can they trade for things they can't make
>if so, with who
>how does their religion look at any of the above
>is the law/honor a personal or societal matter
>assuming a food shortage, who dies first and how

Try an inspiration taken from a society that didn't live in a frozen region and tweak them to adapt to the cold.

In some Middle Eastern regions, the towns were built around a communal bakery of sorts; maybe they build entire towns under the snow build around a single communal heat source.

>Does anyone have a checklist for quick-and-dirty/preliminary worldbuilding when expanding a setting?
I got this from Pinterest.

It's not my map, dude. So if your argument hinges on that incorrect assumption, maybe it's not such a strong argument.

Plus, if it "doesn't look as much like a cow", why was your response "fuck off", rather than "I see that you have made changes based on my feedback"? Seems like you're less interested in worldbuilding than you are in making yourself feel smart.

Protip: actually being helpful makes you feel much smarter. It's harder than just being smug, and you don't always succeed, but the payoff is worth it.

I usually just take a culture I'm interested in, do some research and then mesh it together with another one I think would fit, then I give it a kind of central focal point that isn't that prominent in their real-life inspos, i.e. Aztecs + Etruscans + caste system governed by a arithmetic-themed religion = the Sharac. And that's the foundation I use for further worldbuilding.

>implying I'm gonna waste my time on the internet teaching some random idiot how to fix his stupid amateur mistakes

North is quite simple when thinking about it. In our world the tree and vegetation coverage gets smaller and smaller norther you go. Check Sami-people and the indigenous populations in Russia for inspiration.

I have used the culture building from Grain to Gold a lot when thinking the society.

>Bread, what kind of bread do they eat?

>Food, what kind of food they eat other than previous bread?

>Land, how much is there land and who owns it? How does the quality of land or terrain/environment effect the people there?

>Overhead, how are the common folk taxed and how do they live their lifes? What does basic farm have?

>Cutting corners, how do the common folk save money in lean times?

>Middlemen, how does the trade move in the nation? Directly from farmers to merchants or is the someone in the middle doing the transportation?

>Craftsmen, how are they organized and how do they charge their crafts?

>Textiles, what kind of clothes and clothing do the citizens wear

>Preservation, how do they preserve their foodstuffs

>Containers, what kind of buckets or bins are used?

>Mining, is there mines in the area and what do they mine there?

>Magic, does it affect the things above?

That only covers a very specific set of cultures though.

I can't decide which response to go with, since this is stupid in two different ways both equal in magnitude. I'll just do both.

>You seemed to spend plenty of time unconstructively lambasting it a couple threads ago.
>Why are you even in this thread if you're not going to help people? Do you just want people to fawn over your setting and suck your syphilitic pecker?

I agree with this. My maps generally aren't even to scale except broadly, and I mostly measure distance in the time it'd take to travel between two places.

you genuinely sound really fucking mad

If it makes your little willy hard to think that you made someone on the internet mad, imagine what you want.

Just stop responding to him when he's so obviously baiting you

It's not every day that /wbg/ answers so swiftly!

Those are some good starting points and I must admit forgetting some.
To my worldbuilding reference stuff goes 's pic.

That's why I picked the tuareg, to be perfectly honest.
The idea of underground settlements is really good in my book. A snowy city of Petra sounds like a great place for a capital.

I'm tempted to research mongols for extra flavor, but i've got my hands full of tuaregs for the moment. Any culture you might suggest?

I agree with in that your questions assume various things such as a civilization being sendentary, agrarian and having taxes, but they are still usefull.

I might post the answers to the questions tomorrow morning (0:40), in good /wbg/ tradition of people talking at each other.

For a civilization up north in the cold, I'd use Inuit as inspo (and I have used them) because their cultures are so intrinsically linked to a cold environment but aren't the typical fantasy viking stuff. Also there's a lot of material on them. Veeky Forums even made an inuit based setting pitch at one point and put it on pastebin here: pastebin.com/j65nP6pL

I've already vented about this in the past, but it's frustrating when you've worldbuilt more than will ever appear in the thing you're writing, but not enough to justify a separate encyclopedia.

Only problem is Avatar did such a good job with the water tribes that now you run the risk that it'll come off as "doing that thing Avatar did".

You're right, I'm sorry.

Reposting from last thread, anything I should add to this?

Economy, possibly? How do they sustain themselves?

Not if you make them visually distinct from Avatar's "vaguely brown people wearing blue fur coats", by taking into account what actual Inuit wore before the age of softshell jackets and rubber boots and what they look like, since they have very distinct faces. If your concern is that it'll look like you copied Avatar, just don't emphasize the parts that Avatar played up when they made the water tribes and instead highlight other aspects (the problem of cannibalism in a society constantly threatened by lack of resources, the particular brand of Stoicism that society produces, the intense focus on the hunt even in a religious sense, the myths etc.) that Avatar left out to make the water tribes feel like part of the Not!Asian rest of the world.

You can also throw in other elements like I said before. Like Tlingit armor because it looks badass.

That'd do it.

Remember that these armor sets are mostly made out of wood, so you'd have to replace that with another kind of material (whale bones?) if your culture is THAT far up north. This is in no way an excuse to post more of these bad boys whomst'd I love very much.

Or you could incorporate treks down to the tree line as part of the culture. Something akin to the hunt.

A rite of passage, even. You travel hundreds of kilometers down to the tree line and bring back as much wood as you can. But you don't have any food, so you have to either hurry back before you starve or find a way to get more (and you have no experience getting food other than ice fishing or hunting seals and such, which isn't much help in the forest). The amount of wood you can bring back determines your standing within society.

Fantastic! And that's a perfect excuse to show these people in a story that takes place further South (I'm assuming most of your setting's plot-relevant places are not that far up North): The party enters an inn in a snowed in lumber town at the edge of the great fir forest and observe a some townspeople restraining a naked, unusually short man whose hair is pitch black and drenched in sweat. "Someone fetch the Doctor, quick!", one of the men restraining him calls out to nobody in particular, and you notice grievous wounds in the naked man's thigh and shoulder. A wolf attack most likely.

A few days afterwards, your party is preparing to leave again, having finished whatever business they had in the town. As they pack their things, they run into the foreign man, who is still reeling from his wounds - and from the shame of lost honor, since in his weakened state he won't make it back to his family with any wood. He tells you of his misfortune in broken Common. Roll a Persuasion check to convince Quylluaq Knows-His-Path-Well to join your party as a temporary ally.

I mean, it's not my setting. I just thought it could be a neat idea.

There's the problem that if this is their only source of wood, they probably wouldn't have very much. The actual Inuit didn't live that far from trees.

I could certainly see them using the wood gathered to make the armor of the person who completed the rite of passage, but that still leaves open the question of "what do they burn?"

whale fat

Oh, never mind. They burn dung, grasses, and sometimes leftover blubber.

>not using southerns as both the meal and the fuel to cook it

Your boys are soft. Why else would the gods fatten them so?

Didn't Inuit eat most of their food raw?

Has anyone ever designed fictional instruments for the purpose of worldbuilding?

Now that you mention it, I don't believe I have. That seems like a neat detail to include.

I prefer digging up obscure historical instruments and use those instead, most of them look fantastical enough.

I once tried to invent a kind of a cross between a slide guitar, a cello, and an accordion. I think I gave our group musician an aneurysm with my complete lack of musical knowledge

Like fictional musical instruments? Or literal "fictional instruments for the purpose of worldbuilding," like complex numbers where you just pretend shit makes sense after you hang imaginary space on the side of reality and call it complex?

I was referring to musical instruments, but I'm sure fictional instruments of any kind, made for the purpose of worldbuilding, have gotta be interesting.

I know a little about music. I mean, I'm no expert, but I still remember the basics.

The idea with a string instrument is that it's all about having a way to alter the rate at which the strings vibrate, and the most versatile way of doing that is altering the length of the string that's vibrating (though changing the thickness, tightness, and stiffness of the string would also do it). Most instruments have some variation on this--for brass instruments, you're changing the length of the tube through which air travels by altering its path, and for woodwind instruments you're changing the sorcery by which you get a goddamn flute to work because why is it so hard.

So if you're designing an instrument, the key factor is for there to be a way of changing the rate at which the vibrating thing vibrates. Ideally a pretty easy way (putting your finger on a string, pressing a button, moving your hand relative to the pitch antenna), though for something like the piano or the timpani the idea is just "switch to the thing that's already at the right note".

The problem I see with your instrument is that it shortening the length of the strings like that would let them go slack, so they wouldn't vibrate when you plucked them.

the sliding part is a rubber gasket like airtight sack, which the strings are put through, and are bound tought at either side of the solid long piece.

Well now that's just confusing.

Also it's "taut".

well, like you said, you change rate of vibration. This is done on a guitar by holding the strings against the neck. In the instrument pictured in , the strings are held with a fairly tight hole in a gasket which is air tight against the resonating chamber of the instrument. Lower the gasket, or pump or whatever, through the chamber, and the length at which the string is able to vibrate is decreased.

How does a caste based system based around different races sound?

With the top being seen as say royalty with the other races going down the totem pole?

like say the lighter, whiter ones are at the top, while the darker races are at the bottom?

How acceptable is it to give different human ethnicity mechanical differences

if you're gonna bump, use images not baitposts. we have standards here.

Nah, trying to figure out to have china/india but involve kobolds, pig orcs, gorilla oni ogres, and maybe some other race as the head honchos.

Anyone else just not make maps at all?

They just feel so fucking constraining, like once I make the map I have to redo the entire thing if I want to expand on shit or make changes. They always limit the size of the place in my head instead of having places be exactly as big as they need to be.

Assigning everything a definite physical location makes me lose interest for some reason.

I was thinking of one where the races differentiated from one species that has been using a caste system for so long that they've evolved to suit it.

Actually the Indian caste system had this happen naturally because the upper castes didn't work outside, a high class poo in loo is lighter colored than a lower class poo in ditch.

I make maps, but I keep them loose. It helps to keep track of where things are but I don't typically sweat the more minor details.

It's not a necessarily required for worldbuilding, but if your goals include realism, it's probably best to make a map so you can figure out where stuff should go.

How many mages do you have in your setting? Are there a couple in any random small town or would you have to go to major population centers to find any real numbers of them? Is everyone capable of at least a little magic or is that restricted to adventurers and important NPCs?

What I've got--and I didn't plan it this way exactly, it's just what I'm now realizing is a good rough analogy--is that magic is about as widespread as computers were in the mid-1980s.

There'll be maybe two or three proficient mages in a small town, but more in the city. Most people are sort of tangentially aware of "what, so you enter text and then it does... stuff?" but not much beyond that. You can even use it to transport stuff between towns, but it's usually quicker and safer to just carry it by foot since you can only move a little at a time and it's dangerous transporting living things (you're probably not gonna turn a baboon inside out but it's not gonna be pretty).

And adventurers are like the Bill Gateses and other tech innovators, I guess? The analogy sorta falls apart there.

>pastebin.com/j65nP6pL
A goldmine. This is a goldmine. Really good stuff in there.

The aspects you highlight sound good, but to be honest I've never seen Avatar.
Those armors are so fucking awesome. Now I need to come up with a way to describe them...

"Before you stand a group of crudely armed men wearing head-shaped heads, giving them the appearence of fierce warmongering totems."

Not sure it's good. Just trying.

Well, I did have an insular civilisation that made it's first armors out of cast bone-based cement, so whale bones sound good. And Whalebone armor sounds as good as Dragonbone armor, as southeners think whales are wyrms.

I like that pitch.

The Roman empire analog (long gone, the game is set in a XVth century equivalent period) got fed up with northern barbarians raiding the northernmost towns of the empire, so they built a Hadrian wall/Great Wall of China (The wall, while it has a "normal" size, is almost as long as the Pyrenees). The raids were forgotten by both the northeners and the citizens of the empire, who began using the big dumb wall as a stockpile of stone for building new towns, some of them north of the wall.

At first I was going to have a tribe of northeners discover one of the towns beyond the walls and being mistaken for raiders, as southeners believed no one lived beyond the Wall (the Wall had become etched in local legends). The "strange" armors worn by northeners did not help.

But I think the rite of passage idea, and the tale of Quylluaq Knows-His-Path-Well will be far more interesting. (Don't mind if I take that name)

Back to worldbuilding.

After a magical mass destruction weapon misfired due to being too mana-hungry to work, the world was left extremely mana-poor, so mages are rare. However, it depends on where you look. Magic can be learnt by anyone given enough time and practice, but the rarified "magic in the air" means you need to buy "mana batteries" of sorts to power your spells, and they can be extremely expensive.

In the eastern part of the continent, the few who could wield magic formed a magocracy that was eventually overthrown, so mages mostly live in seclusion.

In the western part, mages seek employers that would pay them for their skills, so they can be found in the lands owned by their employers or in cities, seeking employment. The only part where magic study is institutionalized is the northwestern city-states, a few of which have created Circles in charge of educating new mages. As a result, most merchants (the ruling caste) have some notions of magic, even if they don't practice it.

In the south, mages are drafted into a religious order which obeys the current ruler, except if they are slaves, and mage slaves are prized in spite of the dangers they pose to their masters.

Northeners have a mage (or shaman) per wandering tribe, who teaches the arts to a few disciples. Only one of them inherits the position and the others are expected to leave magic behind or find a tribe who was left without mages. As such, there are more mages in the permanent settlements than in tribes, as they seek tribes in need of their service.

Who here likes Science-Fantasy? Like, full-stop. Wizards are on ship-boarding parties. The internet is based largely on sending information via the Astral Plane. Robots are literally golems with ghosts inside them.

Space wizards give me the biggest boner.

I've made a setting in which only two floating islands exist, supported by two massive Towers that hold the souls of the inhabitants of the world. Heavily Ar Tonelico inspired, actually.

Some persons can use magic by singing, much like Reyvateils, but with both genders; but in one of the islands they are contained due to a "madness epidemic" they can suffer and they are made tranquil in the Dragon Age sense. In the other island, magic users form the majority of the population and run the island, with normies being second class citizens, but not slaves or anything like that.

Actually the entire world is a three-dimensional projection on the real world (using reality as the backdrop) of a simulation run by the Towers, space elevators refitted into supercomputers. All inhabitants are AIs, mages having a higher access priviledge that allows them to "edit" the world using an allegoric programming language, the song.

The madness epidemic is a bug in the higher priviledge code that was never fixed because the administrator of one of the Towers suffered from the bug and destroyed the real world by using the reality-altering functions of the Towers.

Hhoooooweeee, I just fucking finished this second draw over dungeon side view, oh boy did this one take longer than I thought it would, but I'm glad I did it.
This is the first time I've really had any practice drawing Orcs.

Behold! The Stone Skull Mountain Fortress! I hope it is sufficiently Orcish.

And here's the first one/other one I did just a day or so ago!

Before you ever make another goddamn gneeral thread, I want you fucks to do the following:
Take all of those extraneous links, put them into a non-expiring pastebin.
Post the pastebin link instead of having the first post stretched by the mass of fucking links.
Get rid of the discord link because its for faggots
Come up with a more interesting prompt

Yes, just doing that for present campaign.

It's set in a frontier land, sandwiched between an old empire and the blighted land of one of the empires foes, destroyed in a previous war.

The campaign lands have one town and two villages, and are relatively tamed. These have slowly been built up over a couple of decades by those escaping the oppressive Empire, and carving a life out of the remnants of the crushed nation. The blight is slowly receding, with farming just possible in these frontier lands.

The campaign frontier lands are separated by geographical barriers from the Empire, mountain range, and blighted lands, large river.

The town is located next to the river, on the site of old trade road into the blighted lands. It is being rebuilt on an older city site and is protected by a guard. However the surrounding frontier lands are relatively lawless.

The PCs adventuring has so far been at the behest of the Towns leaders, to counter threats from the blighted land and solve more political trade problems. They will eventually venture into the blight to recover lost knowledge and counter emerging threats.

So the setting only requires a small area in mapping in detail, withe the larger areas all verbally orally defined to the PCs.

One of the main trades supporting this frontier land is the opening up of mining operations bringing a new supply of rarer and more lucrative metal ores.

What are some fantasy stapples in worldbuilding?

I'm planning a campaign in which the players can alter reality, so in order to give them incentive to change the world I'm trying to come up with an extremely generic setting.

So about cities, what is the name for multi store cities?

Like the hives from 40k, shangai from deus ex or even that one from FF7, I tried searching for many terms for researching purposes but i didn't managed to get it.

So, how would a multi layered city work like? i meant with multiple platforms on top of each other that would allow for construction, but residential area were houses are built on top of each other like appartment blocks but more messy.

I was wondering how something like it would work or how to even fathom something like that.

Kowloon was a nice example, but not large enough, I am working on a more technologically inclined setting where maybe billions live in non-earthquakeable japanesque city

r8

A longer question:

How is the religion of you country followed by the fighter, mage, and rogue of your setting? That is, the one who gets things done through muscle and physicality, through intelligence, and through guile and moxie?
How is the religion followed by nobles or the upper class, by craftsmen or the middle class, and by farmers or the lower class?

This is based on religion rather than divinity, but if you're doing D&D-style paganism, each major god should probably have an answer for at least two of each of those sets of three to be believable/realistic.

The word you're looking for is arcology.

1 in 1000 knows a bit magic. These inviduals usually work as healers or witches, but it is common for person to live full life without knowing about magical aptitude person has.

1 in 10000 is trained magi. Trained either in school or by wandering magi, the person is quite average magi. These magis usually have a position in nobles court or has a job where magic is useful.

1 in 100000+ is a rare case. They are very good if properly trained, but most of the time they don't receive proper training and their potential is not used well.

That is beautiful.

Not for every one hundred years, and not always at all. My worlds don't tend to move at a level where the landcape itself shifts, and most of the time I can't keep it in my head where borders have shifted.

But also, the bulk of my work is fantasy set in either out world in a long lost age, or a world similar enough to ours that it might as well be, and in both cases they tend to be set so far back that things like national borders haven't even been concieved yet. Kingdoms are simply tribes that have united under one leader, and the borders are merely the lands the tribes happen to occupy.

Whaddya guys think of this map? Gonna label in GIMP, planning on printing it out for my players.

I don't see any glaring issues with it, but I'm wondering what the scale is for that map. How wide are those lakes/cities/mountains/etc? Obviously the eastern half is in a valley (hence the river delta/swamp), but how tall is the surrounding countryside and mountains?

Looks good user.

Each hex is 5km so like 3 miles?

Can you give a short summary for different places of the city. It does look chaotic enough to have grown naturally over the years.

Thanks man, was a bit of conundrum figuring ot what scale works best, but am glad the feedback is positive

I love these. This is awesome.

>>How does mining happen in your setting/country?
It happens in space instead of underground. The Tau Ceti system is iron poor, so the concentration of useful metals is lower. Very little is available on the planetary surface.

>>Who does the mining?
Robots mostly, supervised by a small group of posthumans.

>>What do they mine?
They extract metal from iron rich asteroids, foam it into giant balls lighter than water, and drop them through the atmosphere to land safely in the oceans. The resulting "Starburgs" float on the surface of the water and can be towed into port.

>>Are there any creatures living in mines that are dangerous or require attention?
Various pirate factions tend to fight over the "Starburg" when it splashes down.

>>If there is no mining happening, where does the country acquire necessary metals?
People would probably stop building so many battleships.

>>Anything else?
The mineral wealth from these Starburgs is ultimately squandered by feudal warlords who use it to build battleships rather than improve the lives of the colonists like they were supposed to.

Usually through fire-setting (starting a fire on the rock untill it's hot and then creating a thermic shock by heaving water on it). Rinse and repeat untill you've carved out all the ore you can find. Ofc, the tunnels need to be stabilised and some air ventilation need to be created.

>Who does the mining?
Thousands upon thousands of slaves controlled by vicious overseers. The more delicate procedures are carried out by experienced artisans.
>What do they mine?
Everything of value that's worth the effort. It's a big empire so it got access to alot of different minerals and metals.
Nope, besides the odd rabid vermin or delerius slave.
>If there is no mining happening, where does the country acquire necessary metals?
The parts of the empire which doesn't have any local things to mine trade for it.

Look up the Clichea map.

Upon the ruins of a stone-carving civilization, cradled in a former volcanic crater lies Ven Val, home of the Valis civilization

>The Palace at the Valve & The Fortress of Idols

The oldest parts of the city, a former fortress and temple respectively. The buildings are carved directly from the stone that makes up the cliffside and are of angular shape, like big stone boxes that seem way too big for regular people. When the Valis Council was formed, they took the Palace at the Valve as their seat of government; nowadays it houses the Council, the Admirals' offices and the Treasurers' guild. Below the Palace, the Val River exits through the eponymous Valve and flows into the bay. The Fortess of Idols, named for the hundreds of stone idols adorning its buildings, is a gated community for the rich and privileged with a fixed number of residences available. Both of them sit atop steep cliffs.

>The Old Depths

The Depths and Thunderbird Ascent were the first Valis settlements in the crater. The Old Depths are a quiet neighborhood that has proven resistant to change.

>The Red Heights & Copper Hill

As Ven Val grew in size, the Red Heights (named for their red-tiled roofs) formed around Copper Hill, which had been a sanctuary for those who wanted to escape the city's bustle. Buildings in the Heights are usually 3-4 stories tall and stick together like children around a campfire at night, lest they fall over. A neighborhood populated by the city's proletariat.

>The Golden Cauldron & The Horns

Foreigners in Ven Val usually take residence in the Golden Cauldron, nestled between the Val River and the Relief Canal, a gaudy place where no two houses look alike and the Valse tongue is rarely heard. The market halls and inns of The Horns are where they go to conduct their business, under the watchful eyes of the Taxmakers' guild

cont.

>"New Home" & Sky Gate Hill

With the dawn of the Age of the Grand Admirals (102-23 years ago), Totiche and Sharac migration into Ven Val increased. The Grand Admirals hired Totiche mercenaries and they brought their families with them. Sharac plantmenders were invited to the city to set up their trademark farmhouses, which produce crops needed to sustain the city's population, as the farms down South were no longer producing enough. The Sharac also brought along their families and their servants. Both groups of immigrants settled on the far side of the Kel-Anor road. Sharac priests that were sent from Vei Tashvnr built the temple of Sky Gate for their subjects, overlooking the old Glyph Painters' guild tower.

>New Thunderbird Village

When Thunderbird Ascent, the old home of Ven Val's guild workers burnt down in a great fire, Grand Admiral Teno Goodgraces had it rebuilt with broad boulevards, squat but spacious houses and lots of open spaces, to prevent another fire destroying it again. A very clean, friendly looking neighborhood which houses almost all of the minor guilds and their indentured workers.

>The Galleries

Working the windmills that grind the city's maize and the Valves that supply the city's wells with fresh water and ensure the sewers function correctly is a family matter, a trade passed down from generation to generation. These people live close to their jobs, in the Galleries, a quaint but uninviting little suburb watching over New Thunderbird Village.

>Ashen Perimeter

Living near a burial ground where the ashes of the dead are scattered onto the welcoming earth to ensure passage into the Ashen Lands of Yore is unthinkable for a faithful Valis. Jentani immigrants from down South, mostly farmers, have no such qualms, and build their traditionial longhouses on the Ashen Perimeter.

cont 2.

>"Plague Town"

Never meant to be part of the city. A ramshackle collection of huts built by the poorest of the poor below the New Home cliff. Disease runs rampant in Plague Town and Navy officials don't dare enter it, making any map of it unreliable by default. Home to immigrants from Ys and Ida who have no place to stay.

>The Navy Quarters

Both a military academy, a wharf and a series of appartment buildings for the Navy's sailors and soldiers to live in. One of the oldest disctricts.