/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
Are we going to see warlords in 5e someday? No, battlemasters don't count.

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/01/04/voice-of-the-chain-master/
twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/696804013501591553?lang=en
theangrygm.com/getting-there-is-half-the-fun/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is there a compiled list of all of the UA somewhere that isn't the WoTC site? Just, a list of everything ever?

Yes.

>Are we going to see warlords in 5e someday? No, battlemasters don't count.

Give it a year or two. They need to work out the kinks on base stuff and additions from more popular editions first.

No
>Battlemaster
>Banneret
>Valor bard
>Mastermind
>War cleric

All of those choices already exist for every possible flavor of "Warlord"
I doubt any new options will appear

What does your character creating process look like? Mine is pretty much

>Suddenly come up with a cool concept for a character
>Choose the class that fits concept best
>Choose the most beneficial race/bg
>Decide stats for the character that fit concept
>Come up with an epic story for the character which defines their personality, goals etc.

How do I roleplay a ranger?

Where, you faggot? At least answer properly

So you always choose variant human then?

I roleplay the anti-druid

Whatever you do, avoid the "I live inawoods and dislike people" stereotype that's so common when people play rangers and druids.
> I've created a character who literally has no desire or reason to adventure with the party!

No.

pick a class and then pick a race/background combo that doesn't completely sabotage me and makes some sense

>4 new posts
Actually no, I hate feats. I think they are stupid

You mean generally or just as a racial feature? Everybody likes feats. You don't want to be a square do you?

Why even bother answering if you're going to be an ass? It is a trivial question, but still.

Right, that's why I ask. I don't know what that leaves.

Talk in short phrases. Growl a lot. Always describe how you're whittling something while leaning against the corner of a room or a tree. Do constant perception checks. Shave with two daggers.

Or you can be like two of my PC's Rangers, and just Murderhobo.

Outdoorsman don't have to hate people. You can be a ranger to provide protection and sustenance for a small village initially. You can be someone dedicated to justice who grew up in the wilderness and honed outdoorsman skills to track criminals.

You can be the UPS guy for people in remote locations. You like playing Santa Claus and getting paid for it, but the job requires some special wilderness skills because you travel to remote locations with little or no support.

> A bounty hunter with a loyal hound, always ready to lend the law his helping hand
> An elf, who seeks an ancient relic stolen from his homeland.
> A big game hunter seeking the most dangerous game of all.

Pretty much the same, though race and class often go together with the "concept" and more often than not the race is variant human because it allows for some fluffy ass characters straight from level 1

>Tacticool martial arts Fighter/Rogue
>Demon enslaving inquisitor Paladin/Warlock
>Luchador Bard
>Priest of an elder god Warlock
>Spell thief Wizard

Etc. Etc.

What is keeping that bolt from falling off of that crossbow?

>>Battlemaster
Cha
>>Banneret
Cha
>>Valor bard
Cha
>>Mastermind
What the fuck were they thinking, but also Cha.
>>War cleric
Wis.

Where's the goddamn taclord? This is why Int is underserved.

>the trigger mechanism
>a slight groove along the shaft where the bolt rests
>magnets

Wilderness guide could work well.
>Ranger and their trusty pet

I'm trying to make the Sorcerer a more viable and distinct class and not just "shittier wizard" and I want opinions on weather or not the following is too much.
>Switch them over to the spell point system outlined in the DMG, combine the spell point and sorcery points into one pool.
>Replace the capstone ability with an ability that allows them to regain 20 spell points and a second casting of a 6th and 7th level spell after a short rest, once a day.
>Give each Origin a list of thematic spells they automatically learn at certain levels, 9 in total.
>Allow them to pick two metamagic options at every level they'd normally pick one.

While I agree that it would be nice if Int had a few more classes depend on it, I still doubt "warlord" will be one of them

The way I see it the two next classes to be released will be Mystic and Artificer, both of which will likely be Int classes

But no warlord

Also don't knock the mastermind, its ability to support a party is greatly underrated

My best characters come from when I pick a meme build like lucky halfling diviner and try to come up with a backstory to explain why they're like that.

Which is spookier; an undying warlock or a necromancer?

Personally I would just give them access to every metamagic from the start, it's not like they can use more than one at a time anyway, and only about half are useful

You sir, as a Ranger are a trailblazer, a pathfinder, and a warden of the wilds.

You seek to keep certain environs in their natural state, working with those who would pass through your protectorate from disrupting the natural way of things if you can help it.

Maybe you serve to keep a frontier town safe and prevent it from too deeply encroaching on the wilds of some dangerous beast what slumbers.

Maybe you guard the border between a giant hold and a tribe of orcs.

Maybe you are a survivalist who left military service...either way.

Something happened to your protectorate or to one of the few friends you kept. Or perhaps something from your past pulls you back to the greater volume of civilization.

I made one of those, called himself a "Chronomancer" and was just obsessed with time-controlling magic, which explained all the rerolling as him doing time-fuckery

>Look at classes
>Think of a neat concept
>Make it
>Panic
>Remake it
>Panic again
>Make another character
>Slip between two character concepts
>Cry
>Withdraw from the tabletop.

A Great OO Warlock

They could have at least put one goddamn Int option in the battle master maneuver list. One!

How often do you as a DM manually stat a hostile for the party, as opposed to refluffing and minor tweaking a MM or VGM creature?

Any good tips for spicing up Phandelvar? I'm running it for some mostly normie co-workers.

There's a good one on reddit. Search Unearthed Arcana Codex.

Never, I just make shit up. I decide HP, AC, and attacks on a whim, and when my players call me on it I tell them to suck a big fat one. It's metagaming for them to know the numbers anyway, I'm just keeping it interesting.

Whenever I go to the donjon site, mentally I autisically screech DON JON BIN SH

Does that work out? Seems risky.

If a destiny asked you to immaculately conceive their child would you do it? Let's say said child will havr a great destiny.

Why wouldn't it work? They players shouldn't really know the stats of the monsters anyway, if they do then it makes them think they can play it safe and not have to take chances. Don't get me wrong, I don't go throwing a Goblin with the statistics of a Ogre at them, but I do what I can to make it a challenge so they don't curbstomp everything

I need some advice, guys. Spoilers for OotA:

So, the whole campaign I've been hinting that something has been wrong with my warlock player's patron. I recently revealed that his patron was Fraz-Urb'luu in disguise. He released Fraz from the gem in Mantol-Derith. Now, I'm not sure how to progress.

Non-spoiler: Warlock's patron revealed as a deceptive demon. What's a good plan for an evil demon lord to subtly influence a player?

>>Mastermind

Mastermind, the one that gains class features like mimicking accents flawlessly and being immune to spells which compel the truth? Sounds more like a spy than a Warlord to me.

Read volo's guide on goblinoids since there's a lot there, and by default they lack any personality. Throw in a nilbog or two in the first cave. move the traps from the trail to somewhere in the cave so they aren't just a meaningless nuisance. Play up the redbrands terrorizing townfolk.

Thanks.

Have him reveal secrets that lead to immediate benefits for the warlock, but after a few of them bait and switch with a "kill the king of this country, he's plotting to get rid of you"

The "grant advantage to one of your guys every turn" part is kinda warlordy

The "use your minion to take a hit for you" part is somewhat warlordy as well, especially if you have a battlemaster or barbarian friend that can take advantage of it

Hmm that's a really interesting idea. What kind of bait-'n'-switches did you have in mind?

The more rewards you give the warlock for following instructions from his patron, the more he'll be inclined to believe it.

Start with simple things like "there's a witch here, guarding a lot of gold" and gradually start having him kill off clerics, paladins, good kings, until he realises he's spread famine and terror across the land.

Can you double weild hand crossbow and get crossbow expertose feat?

Doesn't "help" have to be something you are physically capable of doing? So I could help my teammate restrain someone but I can't help them shoot a bow, right?

> starting on level 1 with two magic items - a +1 warhammer and gauntlets of ogre power
> mfw

I'm rolling a Ranger for a game (or at least hypothetically I am); I'm allowed to take the UA ranger. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go Hunter at 3, the question is: am I sincerely gimping myself if I don't take offensive spells besides Hunter's Mark and maybe Ensnaring?

It seems like with everything being concentration it's essentially pointless to use anything else, while mediocre utility can still be a boon.

>Warlord wasn't Cha
Nerd plz

> Double weild
> Crossbow expertose
You what

Yeah I remember having that reaction to the traps on the trail, like what in the fuck was the point?

Could round it off with a "I can undo all the damage you did... in exchange for your soul."

No, but you don't need to dual wield to begin with to get the bonus action attack.

Question: how often should I throw random encounters at the party? They're traveling a pretty good distance (about a week's journey) so I feel like a couple encounters would be fair but I don't want to bog them down either

The implication here is that you're "coaching" your teammate or momentarily distracting the enemy

"It favors its right side, aim left!"
"Follow the pattern, this guy attacks with his right more often"
"Wait for him to raise his hands and punch him on the bellybutton Mac!"

Don't you think that backs the player into a corner? Seems like they may not have a choice.

>2 magic items at level 1
>both power bloat items

I template as much as possible and just calculate on the go.

>elite template from 4e doubling hp / xp and increasing AC/Atk/Saves by 1.
>undead template for zombies and skeletons.
>minions when its necessary (5 hp konolds might as well be 1 hp when the party is 8th level)
>etc

The only time i build stats blocks is for named villians and usually im using an existing monster as the base anyways.

Of course they have a choice. They'd obey the demon for the advantages, it's their fault alone if the prizes seduce them. And their choice if they want to undo all their evil.

Ok so

>voice of the chain master

It doesn't say he takes an action to perceive. He just does, so it's like having a second set of eyes/ears. I let the warlock cast in darkness because his imp has devils sight.

Does it work that way normally?

Secondly can a familiar/ imp / chain just stay up all the time and be on watch then go about the day as Norma?

Pathfinder might be more your speed

Out of all the dragon's common traits, which would be the one most likely to forge a letter from the benevolent queen of somewhere to lure the players into a trap?

I'd imagine Green Dragons, eh? They seem like the ones to use brain over brawn first.

Why not a +3 warhammer and a belt of storm giant strength?

>Does it work that way normally?
No. VotCM works like the Find Familiar spell other than the listed exceptions.

Greenies are corruption
Reds are destruction
White are feral
Not sure about blue or black

Green seems the best for this then.

Looked it up
Blues are manipulators
Blacks are cruel tormentors

the necromancer, the only thing spooky about the warlock is why they would be trying to go on adventures and stuff when they're a pretend class for lazy subhumans

>lel I sold my soul for powers that are utter garbage because I'm incredibly fucking lazy, except its an rpg so I don't mechanically benefit from the fact my class required no effort and I'm just half as good as a wizard

They do, they have higher HP.

They should probably also have medium armor / some other profs but w/e.

You sound autistic.

Chain pact is essentially the find familiar spell. VotCM upgrades the spell making the sense swap have unlimited range and letting you speak.

So a warlock doing this still becomes blinded/deafened and loses his action when he swaps and remains so until his next turn. This pretty much only lets hit see where enemies are in the darkness to aim at or tell his friends to aim at, but he is still considered blind.

As for you second question, it depends on your DM and how they theme familiars, but there is nothing that says they do or don't need sleep.

When is that insult finally going to die out? It's gotten really old by now.

>decide to play a Dwarf
>pick some weird fucking concept like "Goat Mamluk", "Combat Archaeologist", "Infomercial Sales Rep", "Luchador Lumberjack", or "Emu Rancher"
>go Battlemaster Fighter
>take appropriate feats
>wind up with an inventory six pages long
>treat every puzzle like it's an episode of MacGyver

You are only deaf and blind with regard to your own senses. Thus, you are not technically blind, you've simply replaced your vision with something else.

sageadvice.eu/2016/01/04/voice-of-the-chain-master/
Also read the tweet it links to - it shows that basically a blinded/deafened warlock can still use a familiar's senses, which hints that they won't get disadvantage and all that from being blinded.

However, it still uses an action.
twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/696804013501591553?lang=en

You can just use that action before combat anyway, though.

>At 3rd level, you excel at foiling attacks and protecting your allies by menacing your foes. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, the target is marked by you until the end of your next turn. A creature ignores this effect if the creature can’t be frightened.

>The marked target has disadvantage on any attack roll against a creature other than you or someone else who marked it.

>If a target marked by you is within 5 feet of you on its turn and it moves at least 1 foot or makes an attack that suffers disadvantage from this feature, you can make one melee weapon attack against it using your reaction. This attack roll has advantage, and if it hits, the attack’s weapon deals extra damage to the target equal to your fighter level.

Am I reading this right? This is really fucking good, isn't it?

You have limited number of uses, and fighters actually aren't especially tanky, so attacking you shouldn't be a big tradeoff.

You also can't do shit if he casts a spell, unless you grab a feat.

Normally
>Choose mechanical set-up I want to play - some combination of class/race/whatever
>Decide on a suitable personality that fits that, something interesting
>Build a backstory

Though on less common occasions the personality might come before the mechanics. Usually it's mechanics first, as the mechanics determine how the character plays out and 5e doesn't accomodate every single special snowflake idea.

It's good, but I don't think it's awfully overpowered. It still uses your reaction. I think only later you get it without reactions sometimes.

>Are we going to see warlords in 5e someday?

Depends on what you mean by warlord. Oath of the crown paladins which are meant for large scale battles quite obviously would be a good basis.

>Are we going to see warlords in 5e someday? No, battlemasters don't count.
What about Purple Dragon Knight?

Whats the point h
Of a one hand brossbow if you need your free hand to load it? You can't even reload it when you have a shield on the other hand.

yeah he gets the familiar's sight, but the key line is "During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.". So though you look through a familiars eyes the PC is still affected by the blind and deaf conditions (disadvantage). Picture it like watching yourself move and attempt to fight through camera off to the side, pretty difficult.

Also seeing takes an action a turn its not an action to turn on forever.

It's still a decent strategy if a fight gets forced in magic darkness, you just become unable to do much outside of move and bonus actions

That's a good question.

Could you pull off the age-old tactic of "Load Multiple Hand Crossbows, Fire and Discard as needed" during a battle? It was a viable tactic back in the day.

You sound butthurt over the fact that you sold your soul for free power except its only half as much power as everyone else gets and you have to earn it in experience points like everyone else.

Not to mention the entirely separate cancerous retardation that many people think warlocks can fall. I hope they are just trolling.

It does not say 'You are blinded' but it says 'you are blinded with regard to your own senses'

So, effectively, your senses are blind, but you do not suffer from the blinded condition. If your familiar is not looking at targets attacking you, they will have advantage against you, however.

If you're a warlock and you do this trick every day you'd get used to fighting like this.

And... Yes, it is until the start of the next turn, I missed that. Kinda lame. I'd probably buff VOTCM to allow something like a blind warlock to fuck around.

For one time use. Ye olde equivalent of a single-shot pistol you keep for emergencies.

If your familiar is on your shoulder/on your head it's not much different from using night vision goggles

I get giving disadvantage if the familiar is not on you but if it is it should work

Also I'm pretty sure once you turn it on it stays on

What kind of action is drawing/readying your weapon?

>Also I'm pretty sure once you turn it on it stays on

Disregard, I just read it, holy crap that sucks

Object interaction

theangrygm.com/getting-there-is-half-the-fun/

Locks can't fall because they didn't necessarily sell their souls. The powers are sill inherent to them.

Part of your Attack action.

If your DM or anyone at your table starts getting pissy about object interactions and saying shit like "you can't draw and throw three javelins / daggers / whatever in a round", leave the table, grab a bunch of pens from around the house, and throw all of them at the chucklefucks until they stop being retarded.

They have a pact. As in a mutual agreement. The terms vary, but if you somehow break the agreement you no longer enjoy the benefits.