EDH/Commander General

Still Mad About Ludevic Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic
What's your best [AUTISTIC SCREECHING] story?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ajppWvtW2I4
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bolass-funhouse/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But the problem is LUDEVIC DOESN'T MAKE SENSE with his card except in a VERY roundabout way exclusive to the minor role he played in SOI block. Fuck you Maro.

>thread topic
youtube.com/watch?v=ajppWvtW2I4

Dear Wizards,

Please print a big stack of these in the next set.

Thanks,

Hazezon.

I mean, he's not wrong- it's hard to reference a past character when you're working with bottom-up designs.

The problem is, this is like using "Well it's hard to put out a fire with nothing but fistfuls of non-dairy creamer". That is accurate, but you're stupid for even fucking trying it in the first place.

Grey bordered tokens are ugly.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bolass-funhouse/

i want to squeeze cyclonic rift, consecrated sphinx, rhystic study, and illusionist's gambit.

good idea, bad idea, and what should i cut?

>Here's the problem. We made the Partner mechanic.

F U L L S T O P

nailed it.

Nah. Partner's a good idea, they just bungled it completely.

How did they bungle it?

So they were bungled by not being as good or better than regular legendaries? You don't see the problem in having two commanders each as strong as a regular commander?

>he guys, were making commanders that can be mixed and matched, what are some good build-around-me abilities that have lots of synergy?
>+1/+1 counters? nah
>tribal/CMC/size? I don't think so
>how about a bunch of guys with abilities that trigger on attack or shitty soulbound variants?
>perfect

No, they bungled them by making them weaker and/or less interesting than a lot of Uncommons I can think of. They're just poorly designed creatures without a lot of good interactions between each other. Sure, some of them interact well, and I'm actually really happy with a few of them, but so many of the potential combinations are total non-starters.

Not sure who.was more autistic in this situation, and to be fair I wasn't even playing, but there was a game happening next to me at my college's club where one guy was playing his Meren deck. He got a creature back but apparently forgot to tell the table which one. Another player called him out on it (this guy tends to be a total tool, so I place most of the autism on him), but the Meren guy flips out and is adamant he told people, accuses the table of gaslighting him, etc etc. The president of the club had to talk to both players separately.

And that's why I stopped taking magic at all seriously and just play durdle card draw decks.

MaRo, plz go

1) The Partners are inherently weaker than a 'normal' Legendary would be, because of having access to two of them. That means none of them are worth a shit in the 99, because if you're not using them as a Partner, it's like running Kemba with no Equipment.

2) The abilities are, for the most part, incredibly boring and underwhelming. None of them really 'wow', and a lot of them just feel like exceedingly bad versions of existing cards, rather than something new.

3) Very few of the Partner combinations really 'interact' well, so while there might be some hundred combinations, most of those combinations give you either 2 or 3 colors and a 'strategy' that's better accomplished by existing choices.

4) Rather than being the selling point of the product, Partner felt like... well, exactly what it was: A half-assed attempt to make "four color" commanders by moving the goalposts. If Partner had been -the- point of this set, it wouldn't have been as hated, I'd wager; as it stands, it really came across as "We promised you 4 color commanders, but we couldn't figure that out, so instead here's a bunch of shitty 2 color commanders you can staple together".

5) Putting the names of characters fans have waited for (like Ludevic) on top of this poorly-designed, bottom-up shitpile was a slap in the face. They tease Ludevic for 5 sets as some kind of mad necro-alchemist (and possibly the best contender for a UBRG card)... and then we get a shitty Edric.

They were bungled by being weaker, more boring, and for most of the 'combinations' having all the synergy of orange juice and toothpaste.

If he's adamant he told people, why can't he tell them a second time?
I don't know who's more autistic, but I'm putting the blame on that faggot.

>doesnt like a gu 4 mana dork that can only produce colorless mana
what are you a pro?

>That means none of them are worth a shit in the 99

I mean, I don't like most of them either but Reyhan is damn good in a good number of Abzan and Colgate decks.

He did later too, but the 2nd guy told him he forgot and the rest of the table stayed out. I blame faggot 2 more, but Meren was wayyyy to autismo for the situation.

Guy one is a retarded fag, theres no need to trigger an autismo. It also sounds like you were player one if you quit playing over it.

I bet we get more allied colored partners to complete the set in C17. Also next year is allied colors.

I was playing vintage at the time. And I still play EDH, I just don't care what anyone else does and play things that I think are fun.

honest answers would ruin the flavour of your deck. the cards to cut are flavourful ones, so its either power or flavour

There's at least one of the partners that can stand on her own as a Commander. Access to other colors, a 98-card deck and another accessible legendary are just bonuses.

In what situations is this a worthy include?

>inb4 Ludevic/Kraum deck

Forgot pic. Of course.

They were bungled because why would you put two sub par legendaries in the command zone when you could just have one that does exactly what you need it to do?

For example, I'm not going to run some other partner with Bruse Tarl when I could just build Aurelia/Gisela or make a Voltron deck.

vs any deck that wins off of commander damage.

Meta choice vs aggro/stealy decks. Otherwise, too expensive activation and triggering etbs is shit.

If you've REALLY gotta have another Maze of Ith? 5 seems like a whole lot to blink an opponent's creature, and only an attacking one, at that. I dunno, I don't like it.

oh have i got a story

>playing with a group of four including myself a looong time ago
>elfzuri, obzedaddy (me), tasigur and ruric thar
>game has dragged on forever but elfzuri guy finally starts going off
>gaea's cradle with mass untap effects, elfball, genesis wave for 20, etc etc
>his turn is taking 10+ minutes as he plays out the majority of his deck
>midway through one of his searches while he isnt paying attention, tasigur nudges me
>look over and he silently shows me
>fog
>my turn is aftet elfzuris, and i show him my damnation
>we are both keep a straight face
>finally, about 6 minutes later elfzuri finally plays out craterhoof for well into the hundreds
>he pushes everything forward and sits back, smug as fuck
>tasigur looks at him, then back to the board, then back to him.
>"fog"
>elfuzri immedietly goes fucking pale, then beet red
>WHAT THE FUCK YOU FUCKING NIGGER ASSHOLE GODDAMNIT WHY WOULD YOU WAIT SO LONG YOU etc etc etc
>eventually he sits back and passes to me, saying it doesnt matter since youre all dead next turn anyway
>con't

Anyone have a sweet Lin Sivvi list?

Seconded, I'd really like to see that. I love old school white. Tokens don't have the same charm.

In which case, why not just play the colors that gives you a turn one win, if all you care about is efficiency?
None of the Partners are Legends bad, not anywhere close to it, and some of them are quite adequate on their own.

So what you appear to be saying is that you would have preferred to have two full strength legendaries in your command zone, making the game "Why are you playing anything but Partners"?

Mirror Entity you say?

>>con't
Where could this possibly go

>he passes to me
>make an effort to look super demoralized
>"fuck, I dont know guys, i think he's got us"
>draw for turn
>act like i drew the crux of fate, cast it
>elfzuri face DROPS, tasigur fucking explodes laughing, ruric just lets out a smile and reaches over to high five me
>we look to elfzuri
>literally shaking
>he is trying to scoop up his cards but he is so mad and shaking so hard that he keeps dropping them
>mumbling swears and slurs so quickly we cant even make out what they are
>fuckingshitheadsdontfuckingknowhowtotheplaythefuckinggoddamnfuckingstupidgamewhythefuckwouldtheyplayshittyfuckingcardsandwastemytime
>he eventually gets his things and leaves, never once making eye contact with any of us
>he doesn't show up for 3 straight weeks afterward
>still refuses to speak to tasigur

D-does that guy know he's severely autistic?

Scapeshift is the fucking best card. God damn that shit rules with Valakut and 2 copies.

And Splendid Reclamation for everything you just sacrificed.

anyway, the fucking guy ruined 2 relationships and bent a gaeas cradle that day. the wrath was crux of fate, not damnation. i couldnt remember the name of it at first. i still play with the guy actually, he only has fits if you target him though. i have a few stories if people are interested. im a little scared of telling them though because he is super sensitive and i think he might lurk here.

he still hasnt played elfzuri again to this day

Oh come the fuck on. You can't be mad when someone trumps your Gen Wave in an Elfball. People aren't just going to LET you win, if they can help it. Fucking hell.

>playing wrtahs in a multiplayer format
>playing a single fog in recursion: the deck
Yep, these people don't know how to build decks and play, not you.

I wonder how he would have reacted to Rout or Fated Retribution

>bent a gaeas cradle

He is not self-aware. He rationalizes it all away. If he thinks someone has a better board than him or is about to win and you target him, he has a panic attack and sperges out.
he once scooped and told me to fuck off and die after I Swords to Plowshares his Seedborn Muse

if he had multiple times to search he should have at least gotten a Dosan the Falling Leaf/Soul of New Phyrexian

Remember user. No gaming is better than bad gaming.

What are the blingest commanders? Off the top of my head: champs doran/niv mizzet, judge elesh norn, alt art ertai/tahngarth, and 1996 world champion.

I've had people get unreasonably upset and target me across game for destroying their mana rocks. If this doesn't happen to you you're not playing EDH right.

Game Gay Jori En, Muff Diver is pretty bling, if not particularly rare.

I really love the Judge version of Zur the Enchanter.

Any foil Rafiq has bling all over the place.

Angus Mackenzie, or really anything from Legends.

Ultimate bling would be 1996 World Champion

Damn, that do look good.

I would commit unspeakable acts for a judge Elesh Norn and I don't even use her. I'm a sucker for fake languages.

I was thinking of having the chinamen make a proxy of him for fun.

very cheap too, i picked one up for around 2-3 dollars, if i recall

>+1/+1 counters? naw

>that art
Man, I REALLY liked the Abzan. Fuck dragons and fuck those Sultai shitters, too.

ha ha fuck you ELDER DRAGONS

btw remember who's also an elder dragon? nicol bolas! member nicol bolas? maro 'members. let's have ten straight blocks of nothing but nicol bolas shenanigans and the jacetice league

buy our cards and bring your nephews to game day!

I unironically did not consider him a partner commander because his ability has zero synergy with the rest of them

>tasigur
>"a looong time ago"

Cripes, don't remind me. I haven't even been in this game very long, I started playing around Worldwake, but I feel like I've been around longer than 70% of the players I meet.

I'm rather new, so it is a comparatively long time for me.

I run Reyhan / Thrasios, and find 'em to have pretty okay synergy. Reyhan makes counters stay in and move around, giving all my dudes a lot more value, and Thrasios is blue. You could run obstinate abzan woman + fuckboi of athreos to make a funky machine where you constantly sac creatures who naturally enter having +1/+1 s, and recur 'em, I guess?

SHU YUN PLAYERS

How do you keep on the gas after you one-shot someone?

1. Lots of card drawing spells.

dont one shot someone until you can do it to the entire table on your following turns, or on the same turn with additional combat steps

MFW I started in Invasion

but what would you cut, in your opinnion

I'd cut the charms, they're fairly inefficient and can be annoying to cast.

Dragon Tempest, sorry m8.

Also what's with all the black spells drawing you cards at the cost of life when you have blue?

>MFW I started playing in Mirage

my first booster pack was Weatherlight

MFW Odyssey

That's cool and all but who was your first general

I discovered commander with the precons since I used to live in a small town and my playgroup has always been kitchen table

Sharuum. Still my favorite. Artifact and graveyard shenanigans, what else could I ask for?

riku

Mine was fallen empires, got off on a bad foot

Nekusar unfortunately

Treva.

Interesting. How'd that work out for you, outlast everyone?

This was in like, 2009, so how it worked out was "I picked one of my legendary creatures and jammed all the best cards I owned in those colors into a pile, and everyone else did the same thing".

Over a few years it developed into what my friends called "Thousand Dollar Goodstuff" because it didn't really have a theme or synergy, it was just good expensive cards. That's why I reworked it.

Ulasht, still my best deck considering I took apart Prossh

OG Omnath. Still my favorite deck.

Still love this motherfucker.

Oh neat you started about the same time as me.

Lim-dul

God I miss when my playgroup was a bunch of low powered scrubs

oviya pashiri
nothing like a 25 cent commander

Mimeoplasm, wish I hadn't traded it, it was super fun.

grimgrin

and it was awful

i imagined dragon tempest would be him raging, or being wrathful

i dont play blue often so i dont have many blue draw spells

Not voltron.

Sheoldred. Ended up winning my first game with her too. Still holds a special place in my heart.

Hidetsugu :^)

"Now I get to play my favourite eldrazi AND let everyone else have fun, too!"
-An astoundingly incorrect younger me