WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
>Currently offline

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

culturehustle.com/products/black-v1-0-beta-the-world-s-mattest-flattest-blackest-art-material
youtube.com/watch?v=qGwYxqKGcvY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Any airbrush recommendations? How are Badger products?

Badger's well-liked. Just make sure you're buying the right thing, I messed up my order and had to get a rabies shot after all the bites and scratches from taking mine out of the box.

Badger Patriot is a good starter brush.

T-thanks

Sorry if this questions makes no sense, had a surgery like 2 hours ago and still recovering from the anesthetic.

I can't find a picture right now but my guardsmen have like, grey-blue fatigues and tan flak armor. I wanna run some Skitarii alongside them as like, a Forgeworld that they are connected to. Could the guard scheme work on the Skitarii? Grey-blue robes with the tannish insides (steel legion drab -> agrax -> tallarn sand is the coloring for that right now) or would a different set up be better?

>watch Duncan paint Sector Imperialus board
>get inspired to finally paint the one at my LGS even though its literally just me who plays

If I used the store's paint, The Dunc said it would take 3 pots for the more used colors across all 6 sections. Is that right? I wasn't planning on using them, but we could probably swing that.

My only other option would be like Walmart or something, which is another reason why I've been putting it off for so long.

Yeh, sounds like it could work. Take care with recovery, my dude.

They are not the best or anything, but I just finished them.

Im pretty happy with how they turned out, but Im always open for suggestions.

Using GW's paint to paint terrain is an even worse idea than using GW's paint to paint minis.

Thanks user.

I'm gonna keep practicing on my guardsmen until I get the scheme just right before doing it on my Skitarii, but I think it will look nice.

The real challenge for this color scheme is vehicles, both for Skitarii and Guard!

Finally painting my rubric marines. And working with yellow for the first time

You could probably do the the same scheme, there's fluff of Skitarii ranging from tech-soldier like the main army we've got, down t essentially just Guardsmen by a different name.

I need to put a few more layers on the yellow with how green it's looking

Weathering that Spartan.
Did a test game with it today, too.
Well. It's certainly an investment.

Why? What if I'm not paying for it?

It's either that or Walmart.

Anyone have experience casting stuff?

I'm specifically interested in clear resin. I'd like to cast clear 32mm bases, sort of as a combo of laziness/immersion factor (don't need to base things + models match every table).

Which brand of paint do you use, user?

Cultist champion so far, excuse my cameras quality

culturehustle.com/products/black-v1-0-beta-the-world-s-mattest-flattest-blackest-art-material
So I might be tempted to get this stuff for horror minis and really fucking with the shadows.

Crusader for my 500point Inquisitor force.

Still need to finish off the base and do some touchups but if there's anything else I can do let me know.

Looks good but the image quality is shit. What mini is that and are you using it for 40k or an RPG?

So I'm looking at getting into plastic crack as another way to burn these fat stacks of cash I've got lying around, and because my friend is so proud of her Eldar army I figured it was time I get some Tau to knock her down a peg.
I have no experience with minis or models outside of old Revelle snap-togethers, where should I start? What do I need? I know GW has "essentials"/"starter kits" and such but GW is havin a giggle if they think I'm paying their outrageous prices for the rest of their products. I've got some Tau on the way courtesy of eBay but I figure, now I need something to paint them with.
Is the Citadel Essentials Kit a good buy for a first-time painter? Or what else should I be looking at?

>Cultist champion
>tits
>not old memeing
user, you had one simple task.

are the red runes from skyrim? Looks cool man

Twilight champion from Kingdom Death, it came with a wetnurse rerun a few years ago. And as sad as it is, yeah, Im gonna use that girl as just a cultist champion

Not really, the pots are tiny.

Conversion looks good, gonna do a squad?

Didnt make the model besides giving her the stubber

I think there's a 28mm model on Shapeways if you need one.

>GW paint is pretty good
>GW brushes are mediocre
>GW black primer is pretty good but stupidly expensive
>GW starter kit looks like shit If you are going to paint a whole army. pots are too small as another user said.

So out of those things I buy art shop brushes. And the rest GW. If you go down the path of airbrushing that's a whole other thing.

Figure out what Sept and scheme you want, pick out the main colors based off that, and buy the appropriate highlight and shade colors. and GW isn't the only option for paint. Use the Paint Compatibility Chart in for other brands.

Here's a character for Inquisitor28. White is hard.

Yeah I had enough parts in my Bitzbox for 3 of them. Going to use those 3, my Inquisitor and a handful of DCA's as my main acolyte squad.

It's the mouth that's fucky.

Hyper fucky. Jeez, wish I never brought her up, now.

I'm pretty handy with greenstuff. I can probably sculpt that mouth back to within the human norm.

>played all of 3 games in 2016
>lose motivation to build/paint
>friend calls me to get back into the game
>start building a squad
>bails
>motivation is gone

Fuck

Hi WIP, not sure where to post this but I thought you guys might have the best clue. Any idea what this is?

Anyone ever magnetize a Tau Crisis Battlesuit?

I was thinking of maybe using two magnets per weapon. Not because the weapons are heavy but to keep the weapons aligned with the arms rather than spinning around

Can anyone think of any issues that might crop up besides fucking up magnet polarity?

A relic of a bygone age, a locus of dark powers unspeakable.

It must be destroyed.

so I have a pot of dettol I use to strip my minis ,about a litre in volume, and i havent changed it in months. it's now a gluggy, brown, slimy cauldron of filth that still, however, strips paint.

I put a leman russ in it last week and taking it out to scrub it, I found it fell apart at every glue join on the model. it is now an unassembled kit.
the plastic is perfectly fine, and i've never had dettol dissasemble any of my minis before despite being the same glue and same plastics.

I think this filthy pot has been sitting so long it's become a nurgles brew so potent it can kill tanks.

Shitty picture. Might be a shitty paintjob.

One more.

It's certainly pretty impressive for Dettol to start killing the plastic glue (assuming you didn't use super glue).

Daemon Prince for the same army. Going to have to get some bits to cover up the skaveny sigils.

the picture could be worse and its not 6megs, so there's that

Another Lord. Waiting for Night Lords heads to come in from based Chinaman.

you might also want to cover up his cute little ears with something

I'm inclined to agree, but I'd like to know the nature of the beast before I end it.

(If this is a reference to said thing then I'm afraid it's gone over my head.)

Is there a reason why my raptors are seemingly resistant to plastic glue? They keep falling apart at the hip joint.

Considering he just loosely described the effects of moderate strength chemical cleaner on cyanoacrylate (untouched plastic underneath and all), I'd say your assumption is leaning on presumption.

Enjoy your almost-good-as-new Leman Russ kit!

Is that supposed to be a spawn I guess?

did you try cleaning the the sprues?

My best guess is that it's one of Armorcast's old brick-spawn Imperial speeder vehicles, which would make it a product of the early 90s and a very ancient evil indeed.

Lord on Juggernaut.

Ah thanks.
Recently picked up a bunch of these, will continue the investigation.

Alright! One long inspired painting session later and this big guy is just about done! Still needs some cleanup on the black, some blood on the ref's shirt, and some flocking for the base, but I'm really happy with how Fla'Fy has come out! It will be a great coach centerpiece and a basis for my Blood Bowl Team.

>juggernaut
>night lords

U wot?

That's why he's not on an actual juggernaut. Using the rules for the juggernaut.

Yeap sorry. Chose the wrong file version. You get the 6megs .

>Jugg requires MoK
>NL aren't allowed to have marked units

U W O T
W
O
T

Wow, it's almost like you could play Night Lords without using Traitor Legions rules, or have a Night Lords army using the rules for any traitor legion!

That's pretty shitty and I'm glad I don't have to share table space with you.

I'm confident you share table space with perhaps two people. I ain't buggin.

Heres some better images

Not bad, I like the orange. Not sure about the refs shirt. How does that work in blood bowl. Isn't there a grid?

Made another two Van Saar. Arms are magnetised.

1/2

2/2

Did he eat beetlejuice?

The red looks like it needs another coat.

standard csm dex exists duder

>3 games in one year

You lucky bastard.

>puts effort into fluffy conversions
>pretty shitty
I think you're doing him a favour.

>playing NL as World Eaters
>Fluffy

>you cant have a mount unless you pledge your existence to a god
>fluffy

he didn't post his army list, just a model that counts as riding a juggernaught.
If his personal snowflake commander is supposedly super ded 'ard and killy and rides a giant dog into battle who are we to judge?
We all play make believe with out little plastic men.
The snobbery is somewhat misplaced.

night lord falls to Khorne. The autist I am replying to tells Khorne he cannot have a mark or any gifts. Khorne laughs and gives him a wolf.

What is wrong with you? Your kind is not usually in WIP.

juggers are not reserved for world eaters, see daemons of Khorne
night lords may not have a chaos god sponsor but it doesn't mean they don't have a full range of chaos worship like the other non-dedicated legions

Anyone else here look forward to painting the Yncarne? If there is one benefit from GW's over-the-top autoCAD models is that is does make them a challenge to paint, and its even more comfy working through it step by step with Duncan.

youtube.com/watch?v=qGwYxqKGcvY

I'm just saying that Night Lords have their legion rules. If you're not playing them with their Legion rules, why bother staying as CSM? It's a dude on a wolf, so why not go all the way and use space wolf rules of you're going counts as anyway?

night raptor or terror squad heads?

I'm not looking forward to Ynn-anything.

Just finished my first bloodcrusher. Im pretty new to painting miniature, so im open for suggestions on how to improve

Old Crow Models.

I got a hover versions of that thing (with a hovercraft air cushion rather than anti-grav like in your pic) that I'm hopefully one day turning into a shagohod themed Deathstrike.

Should I work on my Nightlords or work on making my next tutorial?

so your argument was that CSM isn't fluffy enough and therefore he should use the Space Wolf dex instead.
Am I having an aneurysm or does that make no sense at all?

Either way it's completely besides the point of this thread. It's about the models, not the rules.

Because Night Lords still fall under the banner of Chaos Space Marines and it's much less of a leap to use those rules than loyalist ones. It's also just a single character model, hardly worth switching base factions over to cater to someone upset about a guy riding a wolf. It's kinda silly to suggest that someone not utilizing the Traitor Legions supplement should skip the core CSM dex and seek out other marine ones, despite how mediocre it can be.

The head doesn't fit the rest of the model.

Oh okay, cool. I've got a whole bunch of these in this bid, came with a bunch of SoB rhinos and epic metal ork Gargants I was looking for. I'll post pics when I'm next about. No idea what to do with em.

Threw together a quick combi-plas for my CSM termies in like a half hour. Surprisingly easy, though it needs some green stuff to patch it up.

I think the head and the body are one piece. Chaos Lord on Wyvern?

Or just use it as a Chaos lord on a bike. On a realy hairy bike.

If you're not painting for it I say go for the GW. GW pricing is normally balanced by the fact that they're noob friendly, except here you don't even pay for them, so jump on the occasion, instead of potentially fucking up by using Walmart paint.

That, and you'll be cool in the store owner's eyes, which is never a bad thing.

Well it's not that bad. As other said, red between the legs could have used another coat, blue on the right shoulder pad is a bit faint, and the head doesn't fit the rest, but other than that it's pretty solid.

That's some pretty solid work right there. There's really not much that deserve critics, maybe the base that is a wee bit underwhelming and plain, especially for such a big model. On the same note, a black rim, or at least a cleaner one of the same color you already applied would benefit the model.

Maybe the blade could have been the focus point of the model, had you made it like a blazing sword, as of now the model is very dark, it has no bright point of focus so you kinda lose yourself in it. However the sword is well done, and I'll always support something well done over something botched. Better to use simole technique and control them well than to try new stuff when you can't even co trol the basics.

Good job user.