MTG STANDARD GENERAL

MTG STANDARD GENERAL
aka
Best format
Aka
Dead format

GAMEDAY EDITION!!

GAMEDAY LOOT:

All contenders will receive a a full art trophy mage (ok, thanks wizards)

Top 8 will receive a foil, full art yahenni's expertise

Winner will receive an Ajani "champion" play mat and a booster box of aether revolt!

Who is going to their local LGS for GAMEDAY??

What are you playing right now in standard?

Hating?

Building?

Looking forward to?
besides a swift and merciful death

CALLING
ALL STANDARD FA/TG/AMERS

Get in her and shit post with us on this day of GAMES!

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/deck-12130726-5489245118966290a5164a5ef7643f43.html
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51211779/#51240594
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-02-17-monoblack/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/future-future-league-failures-and-fixes
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wait, what?

so I should have gotten a booster box with this?

List if you're curious

deckstats.net/deck-12130726-5489245118966290a5164a5ef7643f43.html

>tfw you and the bro you came with get paired up first round at every fucking event

Wish me luck Veeky Forums

Him: black red zambies
Me: aetherworks M A R V E L

2nd Place with GB Silliness

Lost to Patriotic Pussy Parade, they didn't show any white game 1 so I didn't board any answers game 2.

Deck started as GR modules combo, I am a poorio but the money cards were preordered before they rose.

Would have played elves tribal but I have not found any mimics yet.

3 Attune with Aether
1 Fatal Push
2 Grasp of Darkness
2 Animation Module
2 Decoction Module
2 Fabrication Module
4 Longtusk Cub
3 Glint-Sleeve Artisan
3 Servant of the Conduit
4 Winding Constrictor
3 Walking Ballista
3 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
3 Armorcraft Judge
2 Bristling Hydra
1 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
3 Hissing Quagmire
2 Blooming Marsh
4 Aether Hub
3 Westvale Abbey
2 Swamp
8 Forest

Side
2 Lost Legacy
2 Flaying Tendrils
1 Natural State
2 Murder
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
1 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
2 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
1 Herald of Anguish
2 Aetherwind Basker

Pretty new to the game, so pls no bully, but can I get suggestions for my Panharmonicon/Infinite deck?

4 Saheeli Rai

4 Felidar Guardian
4 Filigree Familiar
4 Cloudblazer
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Nebelghast Herald
3 Spire Patrol
2 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Combustible Gearhulk
1 Cataclysmic Gearhulk

3 Panharmonicon

4 Aether Hub
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Prairie Stream
3 Inspiring Vantage
1 Spirebluff Canal
4 Plains
3 Island
1 Mountain
1 Wastes

S P I C Y

How many people turned out for your GAMEDAY?

I got smashed by sultai delirium and pretty much went on full tilt. My 3rd round opponent dropped, causing me to lose most of my momentum. Round 4 Inc... lost the will to care. My JB magic girly texted and said she's gonna come play for a bit so it won't be a terrible day.

Hang in there guys

Use this paired with the felidar to get infinite bounce triggers, bounce your lands and prophetic prism (include that) to draw your library and get infinite mana, kill with walking ballista

Saffron Olive pls go

2 felidars can infinite bounce with each other, is it worth running Wispweaver just to make that more consistent?

I actually have like 30 Prophetic Prisms, I have no idea why I forgot about them

Turn 5/6 Ballista OTK actually sounds really cute, I'll throw him in as a 1-of.

It's just consistency. I find infinite bounce triggers with panharmonicon more interesting than using Saheeli, and allows you to splash different colours. A guy got me with it with WUG, using also pic related

10 peoples, 1st place guy has won every time I have been to one there.
Old store Core level store if you know wpn levels that has had magic since beta. Room for 24 players.

standard is shit

>Patriotic Pussy Parade
what

True, but I can get a cheap playmat for playing it

Infinite cats in red white and blue of course.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51211779/#51240594

>I find infinite bounce triggers with panharmonicon more interesting than using Saheeli
I deffo agree, but a 2-card win is a 2-card win.
I'll play around with stuff after I study and see if I can wedge in any Wispweavers,

What cards do you think are getting banned?
My bets are heart of kiran and one part of copy cat

>Who is going to their local LGS for GAMEDAY??
Snowed in unfortunately.

>What are you playing right now in standard?
BR Vampires.

>Hating?
Wizards.

>Building?
Legacy and Modern.

>Looking forward to?
Digital NEXT, MM2017, and KLD rotating out of standard.

>What cards do you think are getting banned?
Wizards won't ban Kiran because it will make the addicts who cracked 3 cases to get one sad. They'll ban Gideon (he's about to rotate out anyway) and the cat.

>Only used in vehicles and decks running scrapheap
>Crew 3
>Half the decks that run him don't run a full playset due to legendary
>Doesn't provide utility like smug copter did, just a beatstick
>Even better answers now than when smug was allowed, IE fatal, more artifact removal, and of course the ol' grasp of darkness.
>Cat combo didn't even make top 8 in a protour
Honestly this standard is weird, first people thought GB was top dog, then saheeli, and now mardu vehicles. All 3 have made a footstep in the meta game, but as we also saw things like Jund energy aggro also made its appearance in top along with a few control shells here in there in scgs, I feel that we still have a ways to go to really determine anything.

Just pasted it into deckstats to look at, that should be 3 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner main not Glint-Sleeve Artisan.

I played pic related in Game Day today. I got second out of 16. I beat some weird mono-red artifact deck and two R/G Pummeler decks, and lost to G/W Tokens.

The deck has some absolutely nuts curve-outs. It's sort of like a more explosive version of Mardu vehicles that's worse in the midgame/when topdecking. It's pretty fun.

Got my ass kicked by vampire decks this weekend, I'm running G/W. I also need more muscle on the 1-2 side of my mana curve. Any suggestions fa/tg/angstas?

Planning to bring RB Madness Aggro to game day

how hard will i get my shit stomped? What should I expect?

Depends on your meta really. I would plan sideboard options for Saheeli combo (implement of combustion, shock) but fiery temper and alms of the vein should work. Watch out for pummeler energy aggro, fatal pushes are good there. Control, just get in and wreck them before they curve into a gearhulk. Honestly rb is poised to be pretty solid right now. Good luck mate

>tfw with even just 13 people at the gameday I still got beat by UW flash and Mardu Vehicles won

upd8

4 Saheeli Rai

4 Felidar Guardian
4 Filigree Familiar
4 Nebelgast Herald
4 Cloudblazer
3 Thraben Inspector
1 Walking Ballista
2 Wispweaver Angel
1 Combustible Gearhulk
1 Cataclysmic Gearhulk

3 Panharmonicon
4 Prophetic Prism

4 Evolving Wilds
4 Aether Hub
4 Prairie Stream
3 Inspiring Vantage
1 Spirebluff Canal
4 Plains
3 Island
1 Mountain
1 Wastes

oh wait, i took out Thought-Knot
-Wastes +Thraben Inspector

Guess that I'll try but I haven't really played the format since Kaladesh Game Day.

Heres my list so far:

MB:
3 Bloodhall Priest
4 Bomat Courier
4 Inventor's Apprentice
2 Pia Nalaar
4 Scrapheap Scrounger

4 Heart of Kiran
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
4 Fiery Temper
4 Key to the City
4 Shock
4 Unlicensed Disintegration

4 Foreboding Ruins
4 Smoldering Marsh
9 Mountain
5 Swamp

SB:
2 Transgress the Mind
2 Pick the Brain
4 Incendiary Flow
2 Lightning Axe
3 Call the Bloodline
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Release the Gremlins

Unfortunately I dont have fatal push ($6 for a fucking uncommon...) and I'm missing 2 transgress.

Did a bit of testing so far.

-3 Bloodhall priest
-1 key to the city
-2 pick the brain (surprisingly dont have them)
+4 weldfast engineer
+1 Lost Legacy
+1 Implement of combustion (only have 1)

May add a second implement if I can pick it up on time but otherwise I have an empty sideboard slot.

MAHVEL BABY

No mango sentinel sleeves...

5-0 with GR energy. Pummeler is the MVP. No one has seen this deck locally in weeks.

How do I learn to draft?

3-1-1 Made me top 8 with 7th seed. Managed to get to top 2, where me and the other guy split. I was playing a slightly more midrange version of GB Snake.
1st Round: Beat GR Pummeler 2-0
2nd Round: Lost to 4c Saheeli 0-2
3rd Round: Beat an Abzan Revolt deck with Hidden Stockpile. 2-1
4th Round: I can't remember, but I won
5th Round: Draw

Top 8: Beat GB Mirror
Top 4: Beat GB Energy

by drafting

>only 8 people showed up for Game Day
>got to the final round for the playmat
>played UB colossus against Jeskai Control
>aka the grindiest matchup in standard
>elimination rounds weren't timed so we played for an hour and a half before he killed me

I still got my 2 Yahenni's Expertise to fill out my sideboard. Still wanted that playmat though...

who here /rptq/

UR control or marvel saheeli?

I'll care about foils when Wizards decides to stop cocking up the foil process.

>Cocking up the foiling process

?

Other card game developers manage to create foils that aren't pre-curled. To top that off, they tend to stay flat for far longer and don't damage as easily. Whatever system Wizards uses to foil their cards is pretty shoddy, to the say the least.

won games day with this deck

yes, it's provided to the retailer for the event by wizards

Depends on your store but yea the payout is often a box or at least a bunch of packs

No stores in my area give out a box. They gave a pack each to the top 4. The foil promo to top 8. and the mat to the winner. Everyone got a Trophy Mage.

Might be a level 3 store thing.

Came 7th with Mono Black Aetherborn. Deck plays slightly like aristocrats and is based around Servos.

It's the first time I've played standard in years and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. Playing in mono black I felt a bit defenceless. I couldn't really stop my opponent from doing anything other than by Fatal Pushing their stuff, which happened once or twice a game.

What are the best control decks right now? Has anyone had success with Grixis?

>have to play a game day in a hipster gamer town

This is going to be the 5 most annoying hours of the week

Well, if you're in mono black you have access to card draw, discard (Transgress the mind, collective brutality, harsh scrutiny) and Lost Legacy as well. If you are only fatal pushing you're not using the full potential. Also, grasp of darkness is many times better than push.
Best control deck is Jeskai, Grixis seems bad.

>Have a Grixis Control deck that was a lot of fun in KLD
>But closest LGS's Standard scene has died
>Next best options are about a 40 minute detour out of the way

Just not sure if it's worth it for FNM to upgrade my deck.

Worst format detected.

so is this WotC's new strategy to get people to show up to standard event? Showing off the cleavage of some fatty?

kek

This mat pissed me the fuck off. I liked the aesthetic of Kaladesh, and yet Fancy Feast here who is only on the plane long enough to say 'Bolas is on Amonkhet' gets front billing.

At least it wasn't ugly Nissa

True. Grasp of Darkness is the 2nd best removal spell in standard right now, Anguished Unmaking being the 1st

>Grixis seems bad
How can one pleb be SO wrong?

What is the main use of Torch of Defiance?

I run a Grixis Control as well and I use two of Flamecaller in it instead of Torch. She's both a great wincon by swinging for six a turn and a solid board wipe. And if your hand empties out and you draw a land she can help there, too.

>tfw the mods on the magic channel keep pming me about being rude and negative

I got my ass handed to me because my deck was nothing but land after the opening hand.

It hurt, bros.

Torch is a threat they have to answer immediately because in several turns she autos the whole game. Meanwhile she's sick card advantage or blow up one of their creatures and become a body to soak dmg. Flamecaller is sick, don't get me wrong, she's a fine Planeswalker, but six mana in the current meta is a shitload. Playing flamecaller on turn six instead of curving into gearhulk is basically presenting her open bottom hole for aggro's veinous cocker spaniel. If you can work it, more power to you. Me? I'd rather draw cards with torch and Jace and possibly just end the game by ulting one or both of them

>Kaladesh block
>Chandra's home plane
>plot revolves around her mother being alive and the cause she's fought for all this time
>NEITHER NALAAR SHOWS UP ON GAME DAY PLAYMATS

>And nothing of value was lost

>People thought copycat was gonna destroy standard
>Some thought it would even be a modern deck
lmao

Gotcha. So far with my experience if I've been playing my control properly by Turn 6 they're staring at a near or empty board and an exhausted hand so Flamecaller can land in safely and get to work. Heck, against some weenie agro decks I've had her drop in, -3 to wipe the board and then build up her loyalty all over again by throwing elementals. I have a Torch: I might give it a spin. Still gotta modify the deck around a bit more for Aether Revolt still.

What about the Dragonmasters? You're getting good mileage out of them?

FUCKING GAME DAY

R1: Beat GB Delirium 2-1
R2: Beat a weird RB Aggro/Vehicle homebrew that ran Consulate Dreadnought, he actually managed to top 8 as well, 2-1
R3: Beat a GB token/energy player who unfortunately could not get his colors right 2-0
R4: Tough matchup against Saheeli Marvel, managed to win on Turn 5 in turns with Chandra, 2-1
R5: Drew into top 8 and ate

Quarterfinals: Played against a Temur control deck that could not get any land drops while I had nut hands, 2-0
Semifinals: Rematch against Saheeli Marvel, could not get lands in Game 1 and lost in Game 2 after being overwhelmed, 0-2

Overall same finish again as last game day. Probably a miracle that I even managed to top 8 since I rarely play standard and haven't played since the last game day.

Anyway, this is what I walked away with. Not sure if Chandra is worth running and I don't know if the Incendiary Flows should be replaced since I never really found myself bringing them in except for the RB Vehicle match. Any thoughts on anything that should be switched out?

btw I opened all the packs and I barely got my entry fee back in value.

Every time I read this chop suey is never magically added.

what was your list

Hey so friends and I are doing a "Whole Booster Box" sealed kinda deal. Aether Rovolt.
Pretty much have ever Common and 2-3 ofs for every uncommon. 36+ rares. 60 card deck.

Any particular strategies I should be looking for?

>I know not entirely standard but this post does not deserve a whole thread to itself.

>bully a friend who was playing GRenergy with my own RWU deck of various infinites
The only time he ever managed to be ahead was when he sniped my Saheeli with Ballista to keep me from going infinite in one game :(

Hey guys, I have zero cash going into standard. I got some cards lying around and running some garbage monoblack discard.dec, I want something a bit more competitive, ideas?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-02-17-monoblack/

Link to decklist

Anyone who went to GP Pitt interested in a fun story about the incompetence of Pastimes?

incompetence stories are the best kind of stories

Does anyone know when Wotc is planning to add Aether Revolt 8-4 drafts?

Finally won a Game Day for the first time.

I was playing BR Zombies, but I added sinister concoction because I feel like it's a slow, but value card in my deck. I was 5th yesterday, while another BR Zombie deck went undefeated. I'm super excited about my new playmat

This is what I played. Sorry, I needed a few more cards in my sideboard. Which is why there isn't 15 cards in sideboard:

Main:
4x Cryptbreaker
3x Insolent Neonate
4x Scrapheap Scrounger
4x Prized Amalgam
4x Haunted Dead
3x Voldaren Pariah
1x Distended Mindbender

2x Fatal Push
2x Lightning Axe
2x Sinister Concoction
3x Cathartic Reunion
2x Key to the City
4x Fiery Temper

4x Foreboding Ruins
4x Smoldering Marsh
5x Mountain
9x Swamp

Sideboard:
2x Release the Gremlins
1x Collective Brutality
2x Transgress the Mind
2x Lost Legacy
2x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1x Distended Mindbender

I brewed a deck on friday night after drinking quite a bit, I can't remember all the cards I used but it was about comboing Marionette Master and Pia's Revolution, I came 6th out of 7 because I live in a village and the neared town is pretty small. Everyone there but me and my friend was a former champion.

at least it wasn't the BFZ gameday playmat
>drana
literally who

Absolutely correct, but I can afford it and no-one in my area plays pauper.

Shit newbie here.

Friend of mine proxied a literal netdeck of the Mardu Vehichles that wrecked havoc in the last PT. I'm using a GB aristocrats artifacts almost literal netdeck from Strictly Better MTG.

Long story short, he's kicking my ass every single time we play. He's not cocky or anything like that, but I just can't beat him, even with my sideboard hate being exclusively for his deck.

What do, /standard/?

>pic related
kinda how my deck works, except I don't use Aetherborn Marauder and I try to take off off the interaction of Syndicate Trafficker and Tireless Tracker.

If you're going to netdeck, copy good decks.

budget, my friend

There's always BR Zombies or RG Energy, they are very cheap and super strong to play.

What said. I'm personally a big fan of GR energy. Very solid aggro deck and won't break bank. Giant Pummeler is fun.

So, all of the top 32 was either Mardu Cars, Saheeli control, or some flavour of GB stuff.

Obviously, Wizards is in the business of whack-a-mole balance now. What should they ban fron each deck? I say:

>Gideon
Long time coming. He provides way too much mid/lategame value for decks that shouldn't have it. Probably oppressive.

>Torrential Gearhulk
They probably won't ban anything from Saheeli because the deck does have interaction against it, but if they wanted to nerf it, I'm pretty sure this is the one.

>BG
The only thing all the lists have in common is Constrictor, Rishkar, Ballista, and Push. I think they'd ban Rishkar because the Snake>Rishkar curve is pretty nasty.
Banning Constrictor would kill the deck, but they can always say it "restricts future design space" and call it a day

>WILD SPICY BAN SPECULATION
Aether Hub. Probably won't happen, but it wouldnt be the most retarded ban they've ever done.

Samefag for I played a bunch of GB Constrictor decks, along with a shit ton of Mardu Vehicles and Jund Aggro/Energy. And I have to say that my deck can often go 2-1 everytime with these decks. Sure, there is a ton of Copy Cat and MArdu Vehicles out there, but a deck that can stand out like mine can really take games. Fuck man, I won game day even with a missing Collective Brutality and 2 missing Transgress the minds in my side board

Just find a deck that you want to play and study it's play style very well so that you know how to go up with these tier 1 decks.

Sorry wrong samfag

I'm this guy

Yeah, obviously everyone should play decks they enjoy, but at the same time the deck should be viable, like the BR Zombies deck.

For those with Disallow: how often do you use it to counter abilities?

Trying to weigh it against Void Shatter.

All Wizards needs to do is bring good hate cards back into Standard. A lot of the cards people complain about in Standard are starting to find homes in formats with much stronger removal and counters. That alone should point out that hate cards need a bit of a boost.

It's very powerful

I even counter evolving wilds if I know they are mana screwed, that's how good disallow is.

sssh you'll upset little timmy

>tfw no LGS in town, so due to the place having the Gameday closing, no Top8 rounds were done

How does trading in cards for credit work at a store? I've unpacked some cards that have value I think and I want to trade them for others.

I'm just afraid they'll be sarcastic assholes and not accept my trades.

Whenever I buy from them I feel like they treat me as a nuisance rather than a customer...

Pretty much exactly like a pawn shop
>Hey what will you give me for this card?
>X
>Ok
Do not bother negotiating price for Standard cards. If its a bulk rare trade them in loads because they're only worth dimes.
But maybe your store is run by assholes, I don't know. Check TCGplayer mid prices for an estimate on what a card is worth.

How does it feel knowing that a bunch of casuals playtest future standard sets?

mtggoldfish.com/articles/future-future-league-failures-and-fixes

What decks are you playing these days, lads? I'm really enjoying Constrictor.

Will Energy be a thing in future sets? Might sell of Aether Hubs and other "valuable" cards with energy to get fastlands and battle lands.

>Will Energy be a thing in future sets?
Probably not until we return to kaladesh

Aether Hub is probably worth selling now if you don't plan to use it, but keep in mind that its a card that is great in the current meta and will probably continue to be great until the next land cycle is printed in Amonkhet

Ran Mardu Vehicles on Game Day (netdecking faggot etc etc though I've been running this before the pro tour) and finished 2nd, because I didn't like the playmat.

Given that my store is brimming with rogue brews, my experience may not match up well with what's going on with the meta, but Mardu Vehicles is really easy to counter. The deck folds to a good suite of removals and the only time I got absolutely rekt (0-2) there was when I went against a mono black midrange-ish brew featuring shit like Gifted Aetherborn and fucking Kalitas, plus a hundred or so removals. GR energy aggro is also a pain because they can race, especially if you don't get the optimum opening of Toolcraft exemplar into Heart of Kiran. The deck's powerful as hell, but I think the whole Mardu being oppressive thing is just a bit overblown. There are already Mardu bandwagoners in my area selling the deck, so yeah.

>want to play copycat because it looks fun
>worried about wotc cucking my fun again with bans

I doubt they're going to ban copycat. It's not even doing well compared to the other top decks.

I would normally agree, but I worry a lot when the WOTC staff says in an interview that they "never intended" the combo to exist and normally wouldn't allow combo in the standard meta.