/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous Thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/winter-flu-goes-to-the-dogs-edition-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question
What's the best way to make a stereotypical necromancer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_T1mDaW72Y
youtube.com/watch?v=bYmiwbO5icc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is fire from Lure of Flames actually conjured from somewhere else or is it actually just being created by the user?

Probably with a Moros going all in on the Death arcanum.

Name a WtA tribe.

Silent Striders.

I don't even like them, but I have to keep my Egyptaboo branding up. The real best Tribes are Shadow Lords, Black Furies, and Glass Walkers

>Silent Striders - While searching for their Tribal Homeland in the Umbra, the Striders discover an ancient evil force known as "Grandmother" that may or may not be Set himself. The Striders, hoping to set the Wyrm and "Grandmother" against each other, willingly fall to the Wyrm, hoping to have the Black Spiral Dancers attack the new enemy. At this time, the Silver Fangs decide to attack the Spirals and the Hungry Ghosts as the Striders are now known. Concerned for their own safety, the Hungry Ghosts turn on their former allies. Owl rejects them as a totem when they fall, and the Hungry Ghosts adopt the Wyrmish form of Bat as their new one.

Is this from something or your weird fanfic? Because Set isn't evil and doesn't map to Grandmother whatsoever; a Kemetic take on Grand Maw would most likely be Apep or maybe an antagonistic Ammut.

Bone Gnawer

>Bone Gnawers - This scenario argues that the Bone Gnawers have been falling to the Wyrm slowly for years. Eventually the Wyrmish Gnawers outnumber the Gaian ones, until Mother Larissa is assassinated. The Wyrmish Gnawers tell the rest of their tribe they can join them or die, a third join, a third are killed, and the other third flees. The Gnawers change their name to the Plague Rats and their totem "Rat" becomes "Plague Rat." Their Apocalyptic method is to unleash a disease that kills a billion humans within 2 months.

Summaries from the Apocalypse sourcebook.

>Their Apocalyptic method is to unleash a disease that kills a billion humans within 2 months.
harsh but fair

>best tribes
>no red talons
meh.

There's a Moros Legacy called the Bokor known for making lots of zombies.

Right, the weird thing where they had one of the Tribes fall to the Wyrm.

Were any of the ToJ scenarious any good? I'm trying to remember if I liked any of them other than the "lock your player characters and your major NPCs in a church and have a weird cathartic roleplay while you wait for God to smack you around."

lol(?)

Silver Fangs.

You don't need any but the best.

Does it bug anybody else that it's a waste to join a legacy that uses a ruling arcana that you have in common with your path?

>being a min-maxer
I can't imagine a more boring way to roleplay a character

>Silver Fangs - Albrecht convinces the tribal totem, Falcon, to temporarily remove all derangements from the Silver Fangs so that they may see with perfect clarity. Once this has been accomplished, the Silver Fangs march on the Black Spiral Dancer's hives and slaughter them. At first this act is seen as a great victory for the Garou Nation, until the Fangs reveal that they killed the Dancers not in the name of Gaia, but rather because the Fangs have fallen to the Wyrm and did not want the Dancers to compete with them for attention in the eyes of their new master. Falcon realizes too late what has happened: By giving the Fangs absolute clarity, they were able to see how truly hopeless the Gaian cause is, and decide that they should align themselves with the Wyrm instead. They change their name to the Fiery Crowns.

Mechanically disensentivizing people from making certain choices is an important consideration from a gameplay perspective user.

The fact that thematically appropriate players get "Punished" so to speak is a valid concern.

A third ruling arcana is a huge advantage since most of your mana is probably going to be spent on Mage Sight.

That's fucking retarded.

I'm actually a little bit mad.

The only that I liked was Fair is Foul, but thats mostly because I liked the eight hundred Xanotos Plots coming to a head within weeks.
Don't you talk bad about my Waifu, she's the only reason i'd follow Green Dragon over Rat.

>you will never tie down Zhyzhak and give her rightous DICKINGS
>why even live

>tfw no previews for Dark Eras Companion

At least Matt told us the name of the new Lineage.

>following the Wyrm

Son...

Imagine how Falcon must feel about it.

T H I C C

>Personal horror is urban fantasy for faggots and loonies who live vicariously through their ocs

#orclivesmatter

>werewolf the apocalypse, 2020

>Bruises-the-Cervix, Get Ahroun Rapist, follower of Fenris.
>See Zhyzhak across the way.
>Fight across Malfeas
>Fight across all the BSDs
>Rape Zhyz back into being a White howler.
>"Even my jizz has +1 Strength."

We silent hill now?

Nope, classic 90's pretentious edge.

what's pretentious about it?
>90s edge
so its true to the source material?

I mean in silent hill there was a fucking point to the fucked up designs, this is just weird for the sake of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_T1mDaW72Y

I could really go an O'Tolley's cheeseburger with extra Heart Attack Fries, wash it down with an ice cold King Lager and watch "Knights of Angst" on Omni right about now....

Oh ffs, Elricsson. You had one job and a license to print money, you stupid Swedish bastard, what have you done?

Crucible of God is the only one that was somewhat good, Fair is Foul and Nightrailroading were shit

Shadow Lords.

Also this would go much quicker if you posted all of them at once

>one chance at getting new fans through video games
>pick furries, and it's a silent hill copy to boot

BRAVO DRACUL

Shadow Lords - The Lords' Tribal totem, Grandfather Thunder, makes a deal with Gaia that if his Tribe can accomplish a specific task within one year, she will make him a Celestine, and the Shadow Lords will take their place as the leaders of the Garou. However, they fail at their task and Gaia denies this request. Feeling scorned, Grandfather Thunder and his tribe lash out at Gaia, not falling to the Wyrm at first, until they need the support against the Gaian Garou and Spirits. The Shadow Lords are the only tribe who do not change their name when they fall. Grandfather Thunder devours Whippoorwill and the Shadow Lords replace the Black Spiral Dancers.

Yeah, but it feels like that would spoil the fun.

How would Sobek, the werecrocodilepire, hold up against the average mage?

>Reminder of what could have been
>also reminder of the last attempt at a Werewolf game

youtube.com/watch?v=bYmiwbO5icc

´I'm thinking of making a small campaign for a friend of mine, a Hunter campaign (Because she doesn't like Hunters).

Her arguments against hunters inspired me. Because she definitely has a point, Hunters are easy antagonists and they play off themes of racism, xenophobia, other types of bigotry and small mindedness, and their nature as vigilantes opens them up to killing innocents quite a bit.

Now she also pointed out that vampires, for example, don't HAVE to harm anyone. The relationship can be consensual and even fun for the "victim".

So I want to play with that.
I want to make a little campaign that focuses on that.
I want to make a campaign where she has to deal with the fallout from a "virtuous" vampire (Of course, they'll be slightly more evil than the average player vampire, but mainly because the focus will be heavily on the fallout). the ruined lives of blood dolls and members of the herd and the destruction sewn in the wake of vampiric influence on touchstones.

And I'm thinking that I'll start it in a women's shelter. Where a "Frequent flier" has gone missing without a trace, but since she has a history of doing this the police aren't getting involved, and besides she's just some stupid unimportant girl who's been in and out of the system for a while.

From then on she'll follow the vampire's trail of broken lives, as members of the herds abandoned their lives to be part of what is essentially a broken relationship and a heroin addiction all in one. A relationship with an abusive boyfriend made of heroin.

This is just a basic idea and I need to be told if its terrible, and if you guys have any ideas of what to do with this.

>Hengeyokai - The Beast Courts have always believe in the Wheel of Ages, the theory that universe follows a cycle, and the impending "Sixth Age" is only one of Twelve, that the Cycle will eventually turn back towards the Gaian eras, each slowly getting "better." Some members of the Hengeyokai decide to push the Wheel into the Sixth Age so that it can be over with sooner. This group, known as the "Fatalists," achieve this by awakening Wyrmish Caerns through which demonic hordes pour out, creating a few centuries of Hell on earth before the Seventh Age begins and things start getting better.

>BRAVO DRACUL
>implying he had anything to do with it
someone came to with money, he pointed them to paradox, paradox said yes

Your friend sounds like the kind of person who would say that Beast is well-written.

I mean GW killed their game line just as Total War came out with Warhammer.

(For real, the link CA set up for "BUY MINIATURES OF THIS SHIT" didn't work because GW had shut down that part of the site)

So I mean, this isn't even on the radar of bad moves.

Wendigo

It's not always easy to explain other people's arguments briefly.

Get some lawn chair repellent. Or one of those node lights that Mages will fly into only to die.

>Mages are like flies

Croatan.

Why? Looks like pain-spirits or sadism-spirits to me. Werewolf spirits are naturally fucked up, how would you imagine an embodiment of human suffering looking, in the case of pain spirits?

Go for it. Your friend should see that vamps can easily ruin lives. You wouldn't even have to make the vampire so evil or outright abusive. Blood dolls should face health problems and should suffer in their work and personal lives because of the lack of focus being regularly bled causes. Then of course there's the addiction, which can get a doll killed in more ways than one.

Not only that, but the Beast is always lurking under the skin of even a decent vampire, and is a very big threat to intimate relationships of any kind.

For a vampire to truly to be able to not harm anyone, they would need to just feed on a random stranger once a night (never the same one twice) and then go right back to their haven. Every night.

>I'll have "assumptions of an asshole who read the first two lines" for $100, thank you Trebek

>Wendigo - A roadblock in Upstate New York leads to a confrontation between the National Guard and some armed Native Americans, resulting in the death of thirteen indigenous people. Outraged, a group of Wendigo use the Umbra to board and hijack a Nuclear Sub, and nukes Buffalo. At this point the Wendigo have not fallen to the Wyrm, but when they reveal to the other Garou tribes that they are responsible for the attacks and the hijacking of the sub, the other Garou declare them fallen, and declare war on them, attacking as they attempt to perform a sacred annual rite. The failure of this rite draws Great Wendigo into a Rage, and he is corrupted by the Eater-of-Souls, turning the Wendigo into the Wyrmish tribe, the Devourers.

You've outplayed me, I guess I have to make something up for a fallen tribe scenario.
>Croatan - Although annihilated physically and spiritually on both a tribe and individual level, bits and pieces of the Croatans' souls drifted deep into the Umbra and coalesced. This new gestalt creature consumed banes, growing powerful and corrupt. The Croatan is a creature with a single consciousness but many spirits. Technically speaking the Croatan creates Fomori but from a practical perspective it re-creates Croatan garou of homid and lupus varieties. The Croatan seeks an ancient fetish but also stop to slaughter garou along the way but they will not harm Wendigo or Uktena unless attacked. Although the Croatan is (are?) definitely tainted by the Wyrm it (they?) do not cooperate with Wyrmish servants such as Black Spiral Dancers. Some garou believe that they are servants of a self-destructive aspect of the Wyrm, while the optimistic (or naive) posit that they are actually servants of small part of the Wyrm that retained its sanity.

Sorry it's shit.

>13 people
>Outraged, a group of Wendigo use the Umbra to board and hijack a Nuclear Sub, and nukes Buffalo
Seems a bit overkill

So reading over the Ephemeral Entity rules for Ghosts, I just wanted to check my understanding of a few things.

1. A Ghost's base condition is Anchor, something which for them is set at the moment of Death, and without Magic can only be created temporarily by a Rank 4-5 Ghost using its Influence (Anchors) 4 to temporarily create one.
2. Given that they must modify Anchor in order to access later Manifestations, Ghost are incredibly limited in who they can possess (again, without Magical help), and are more likely to use Materialization (given they just need to be near their Open Anchor to use it)
3. When they complete their Unfinished Business (which removes their Anchors?), or lose all of their Anchors some other way Ghosts translate immediately to the Underworld.
4. Ghosts returning from the Underworld, by whatever means, are devoid of the Anchor Condition, meaning that they likely can't use their Manifestations (bar temporarily using Influence 4), and usually must rely upon Numina, in addition they have a very short lifetime in the physical, as they'll be burning Essence each hour just to be present, which will go ever faster as they use their abilities.

He'd probably laugh at you for being so obsessed with splat vs. splat bullshit and tell you to go play a trading card game.

>Hunters hunt down parasites that prey on mankind, sucking them dry and sometimes killing them

>Leftists: #Notallmuslims!

You sound like that kind of person as well.

Good thing Asshole A only wrote one line then.
*smug*

Rage: the ultimate wildcard.

I think the point is that this is just the icing on a multi-tiered cake of centuries of oppression, slaughter, victimisation, exploitation, marginalisation and assorted dick moves by federal agencies.

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't just take a leaf out of Von Klauswitz and nuke DC. "Strike where the enemy is strongest," and all that.

And that's not even considering older vampires, who are almost always Hitler tier.

When you think about it, every vampire that sires deserves to be killed

Is Banefire actually conjured from somewhere else or is it actually just being created by the user?

Killing a million innocent civilians in retaliation for some cops killing 13 protesters seems... 100% insane.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, that's the stuff I want to highlight. The consequences for those around them, and the fact that ultimately this dangerous even if its unintended, making people cattle still makes them of humanity even if you treat them well.

Do you have good ideas for what to throw in there?
I'm thinking I'll have my friend track the initial chraracter down, and each little thing uncovers either a bit of background (Their background as a college student with a bunch of friends, their initial thrill and experiences with the vampire, their slow alienation from everyone, and then more degradation and ruination of the characters.)

But I'm lacking some good ideas for how to do that, and what else to throw in.

Ok, I most often have a soft spot for 90's edginess, but when taken to far it just becomes silly. Embraced babies on sticks as a currency, oh my lord.

Werewolves are supposed to be the bad guys.

What I don't understand is why they didn't use a more conventional weapon instead of the one that is pure concentrated Wyrm taint.

Good lord, this is so bad it's actually hilarious.

>Name a WtA tribe.

Children of Gaia. Waiting for a good tribebook since forever.

What was the point of the prophecy about each splat in Days of Fire when Gehenna was just two years away and was probably being planned at the same time?

Delet this lie
Its especially bad since they used a fucking NUKE to do it. Not corrupted by the wyrm my ass

Who are the good guys?

Hunters

Goddamn angry natives

>Children of Gaia - The Children of Gaia attempt to restore the sanity of the Wyrm via an ancient rite. However something goes horribly wrong, and the rite instead immediately revives the Eater-of-Souls. As word of the Children's mistake reaches the rest of the outraged Garou Nation, the Children turn to the Wyrm to defend themselves. The Eater-of-Souls replaces Unicorn as their tribal totem, and the Children of Gaia become known as the Reavers.

The Wendigo are not especially smart people

stupid hippies ruining everything

What is the Eater-of-Souls

wyrm aspect

One-third of the Wyrm's final form. The Croatans (an extinct tribe) sacrificed themselves to banish it from the physical world and were totally annihilated in the process.

>eater
>not easter-of-souls

> Waiting for a good tribebook since forever.

Read the 2e one. Infinitely better than the Revised tribebook, especially the opening comic.

Maybe they left a box full of stuff behind at the shelter, if they kept coming and going? Photos, old diaries?

Buffalo is like 50% white. Who gives a shit? They'll just breed up some more.

Never forget Wounded Knee.

Yes, it's almost like it's one of the scenarios from Apocalypse that describes an entire tribe being corrupted by the Wyrm by their actions..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"Silly?" You've been on Veeky Forums far too long. Most sane and sensible people would find this utterly horrifying and abhorrent, which is exactly what they're going for.

I sometimes got the impression that different authors were pulling in different directions, and the lead dev for each splat was totally absent and/or incompetent.

Are OPP's oWoD splats as bad as their CofD stuff?

Yeah, the Wyrm has its own mini-triat of three 'heads'. Beast of War, Eater-of-Souls and Fucker-whose-name-I-Forgot.

They're like the biggest, most powerful spirits that make up the Wyrm's soul hierarchy. Exalted actually took a lot of notes from WtA and the Umbra for its setting ideas, especially with the Primordials.

M20 is bad, W20 core is good but certain books (especially Changing Breeds) is very meh when you can just use the Revised material, and stuff like Shattered Dreams is very take with a pinch of salt because its basically ascended fanfiction.

V20 has mostly been good!

the whole Time of Judgement was done hastily and chaotic, as if they had to write their endings from the scratch

>Beast of War, Eater-of-Souls

"Defiler Wyrm" was the third aspect.

No that was just WW during its hayday. Some books were pushed out under very short, tight deadlines, and often times they poorly coordinated who was writing what. Often times you'd get writers on the same book who never even communicated.

Exalted was even worse about this, especially during its 2e run.

Thank you kind user! I always forget that one.

Well, the "Fucker" part is thematically accurate.

I still don't know why they decided to pull the pin. It was just a massive tantrum that made zero business sense. When fans told them so on the old forums, they went full OPP and started indignantly proclaiming that "end world scenarios" had been such a huge part of the backstories of the games for so long that "everyone should have had plenty of time to get used to the idea". Basically the same smug, condescending bullshit they pull now when people question their bad decisions and they'll do anything but admit it as such.

Games Workshop stores pulled their books from the shelves, citing that they wouldn't take part in "financial suicide". By the time the "New World of Darkness" and Requiem launched, everyone assumed the company was defunct. There was a sense of "but why do we even need a NEW world of darkness?" Sales never reached the levels they once had. The damage had been done....

>Shattered Dreams is very take with a pinch of salt because its basically ascended fanfiction.

Well shit, I was asking because Shattered Dreams sounded interesting.

I have only skimmed it, some parts of it could be cool but if you're fluent with the history and metaplot of WtA it might not be to your taste.

Bottomline is its not canon and I wouldn't use it to argue canon, which I'm sure some nerds will do.