/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

> New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
You have twenty seconds to come up with the most retarded race-class combination and then justify it in story.

Other urls found in this thread:

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html#Warforged
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html#Revenant
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's actually good, because casting darkness won't disrupt your teammates, except for 'you must see your target' attacks/saves.

Drow paladin
>PELOR, THE BURNING HATE

>You have twenty seconds to come up with the most retarded race-class combination and then justify it in story.

What a coincidence, I just posted this in the last thread. On a scale of 1-retarded how bad is this? I made the character before making a statblock for it but now I feel like it's just not very good at all.

Dragonborn Revenant (For Necrotic Breath Weapon, refluffed into some kind of Half-Undead looking loosely like pic related, uses Disguise Self when in towns)

>Undying Warlock 3, Pact of Blade
>Spells (Ones that don't use CHA)-
>Booming Blade, GFB, Spare the Dying (Undying)
>Hex, Armor of Agathys
>Darkness, Misty Step
>Invocations- Devil's Sight, Mask of Many Faces

>Long Death Monk X (Though Kensei might be better mechanically)

Unfortunately due to the MAD nature of this I wouldn't be playing it without having good rolled stats.
>inb4 some sperg says rolling is badwrongfun

Doesn't hurt that you can focus the darkness on an object and the cloud just moves with you. Wherever I go, free advantage.

But using two weapons uses a bonus action, and hex uses a bonus action, so you have to get lucky that the target you hexed doesn't die before your next turn or something.

Tiefling Monk who is terrified of natural elements but was blessed/cursed to be an expert in using those exact things.

Also has anyone used this version of the way of the four elements monk? Does anyone know if the Fist of Unbroken Air ability can be used with Sharpshooter or Stunning Strike?

True, but hex persists, whereas Bb is a one off. And it relies on them moving. Hex works out better for most occasions. But I do like BB.

What level are you at?

Currently Rogue 3/Warlock 2. Low charisma for reasons, but 17 Dex.

Thinking about giving my Fighter the Magic Initiate feat and snagging Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade, but I'm a bit conflicted on the lvl1 spell. I could either get Shield or Hex. I'm not sure which one to take because both could be really big boons.

>Warlock 2
What Pact are you thinking about picking?

>Assuming you are dual-wielding Shortswords

2d6(weapon damage)+3d6(SA)+2d6(Hex)

>Assuming Booming Blade with a Rapier

2d8(Weapon+BB)+3d6(SA)+1d6(Hex)+2d8(if they move) And you keep your bonus action on subsequent turns.

How often do creatures move after they got
booming bladed in your game?

What's the "best" way to make a monk if you're a powergaming nigger? It seems like a real pain in the ass to make a Monk that can keep up with other classes.

>inb4 "dont play monk"

Kansai with great weapon master if your DM allows UA, Open Hand if they don't. Shadow if you're playing an Underdark campaign.

Hex only persists until the creature dies, then takes a new bonus action to transfer.

Unless you fight lots of big monsters, it's a bit awkward with overloading your bonus actions with
>attack
or
>hex
or
>cunning action

Shadow Monk 6, Swashbuckler Rogue 2.

Hit and run like a motherfucker.

Does monk really have trouble keeping up with just standard optimization? It's never felt like they needed any special tricks to me.

>cunning action
Swashbuckler generally means I don't need to. No opportunity attacks from the one I'm fighting.

>takes a new bonus action to transfer
This is where I usually get BB involved.

Blade, as much for story as for actual use. Seem to spend a lot of time assassinating people, sneaking weapons around is useful.

I don't disagree about the raw damage, but our DM doesn't seem to move the enemies as much - and bear in mind dual wielding gives two chances to hit, rather than one, which works out well with the damage stacking.

Well it depends. Do you want to be able to win on your own? A bit. Do you expect to be relegated to stun-bitch? It's fine as is.

>Dual-Wielding gives two chances to hit,rather than one

Good Point! Gotta hit something to make the damage happen so no complaints there.

Male human fighter.

Well, that does sound like a good tactic.

Shortsword is only -1 damage compared to rapier, so using booming blade whenever you can't use the bonus action works out.

Once you reach 5 levels of warlock you can pick up extra attack, probably.

Don't underestimate cunning action on swashbuckler, though - being able to dash away from enemies so they can't move and then attack you is great, because most enemies are strongest in melee.

How do you powergame as a Bard?
As in, when do you stop uselessly casting Vicious Mockery on Awakened Shrubs that succeed the Wis saving throw?

It's good fun, and so far I haven't done any better or worse than the rest of the party damage wise. Lot more fun than >turretlock anyway.

Is Long Death any good or should I just go Open Hand and refluff to be edgy?

>faerie fire
>crossbow and bow
>inspirations

Seriously, attack cantrips are not how you powergame unless you're a lock.

>faerie fire
>crossbow and bow

If you have to maintain concentration and you're a bard (IE your spellcasting focus is an instrument), this doesn't seem feasible unless you have a shawm or harmonica fixed to your mouth.

Footfaggotry?

Don't need to keep your hand on your wand to concentrate on the spell

You only need the focus when you cast the spell, more importantly, you don't need to play from it somehow.

Sorcerer spell slots recharge on a 5 or 6 result from a d6 rolled at the start of each of their turns.

Thoughts?

Since my character died sacrificing himself in order to save rest of the party allowed me to have a bonus for a new character.

I want to create cavalier with exotic mount like pic related. Does anyone have stats for a creature similar to this?

Also I once saw an image on Veeky Forums, in the main plane it has two or more armored full plate knights/soldiers riding some kind of armored birds, like in pic related. They ride on green grassfield and on the edge of the field there are soldiers/civilians watching them or doing other stuff.I think it presents training or parade i cant remember exactly.
The top of the image had blue sky and in the distance i think you could see some kind of fortifications or city. Does anyone have this image?

Can some one explain to me how I think it's green flame blade can get charisma to hit and double Christmas to damage as a bonus? Idea it require a paladin or warlock multiclass?

Look up axebeaks.

Nice job making warlocks even more irrelevant.

>Christmas
lel
No idea if it's the one you're thinking of but IIRC
>Undying light+CHA to Fire damage
>Oathbreaker CHA to attack damage
>Thirsting Blade CHA to Necrotic damage

Quick /5eg/, you've been shanghaied into a Somalian pirate crew, and the only way you can make it back home is to play a game of D&D from 1st to 20th level. The catch? You have to play a gestalt character. Which two classes do you gestalt?

That implies that once combat ends they get all their spell slots back

That 'WARLOCKS ARE MARTIALS' dude bout to jump down your throat, nigga.

Look into this if your DM minds homebrew stuff . It's a solid buff for the archetype.

>in an actual face-to-face D&D game
>one guaranteed to go to level 20
>with gestalt
Why the fuck would I ever want to leave?

Nah.
It's the heat of battle that fuels the sorcerer, as opposed to the calm study of wizards.

What said.

But if I had to choose...Fighter/Warlock. Or Cleric/Barbarian.

Are warlocks any good at utility and the in between combat stuff?

So what would you guys do to give a succubus pact gish (not actually the warlock class) more flavor? I'm thinking more pros/cons (tho I'd perfer the cons to be more roleplay than rollplay).

Paladin/Warlock, easily.

war cleric/devotion paladin

fuck undead

Fighter (champion) and barb, taking magic innate to get hex, using two weapon fighting, and eventually taking that perk.

Can anyone offer me some suggestions or ideas how to roleplay through a PC making a Warlock pact and effectively multiclassing?

I want to give the PC a magical ring or trinket so that when he falls unconscious or sleeps he sees visions of his patron who will, given time, trick him to into forming a pact or just submit to him due to it being a nagging annoyance.

Can I simply grant him a level in the Warlock class at the point the PC makes the pact, or how should that work?

Paladin/Swashbuckler Rogue. I theme myself as a chivalrous pirate and pray that by the end of the game, I can inspire the crew to greatness.

In Somalia.

Just have him make the pact, then next level up he takes the level in Warlock.

Warlock pact is just "learning from the patron" anyway - RP it as him going through the process of understanding the basics of magic before he reaches a basic form of maturity (the levelling).

You can pump it out a little if you like by having him attempt basic rituals, reading up on his arcana, having further dreams from his patron. Maybe even give him hints of good fortune here and there with symbols of his patron attached.

Easily has to be a bardadin.

>Full spellcasting
>1d10 hitdice, heavy armour, shield and quarterstaff and defense fighting style
>Best melee damage in the game
>Charisma shillelagh
>Still going to get stuff such as 'wish' at high levels
>All the fucking skill checks
>Don't need to use magical secrets on paladin aura of vitality/find steed and all that
>Fuckin' +5 to all saves
>Etc

I have to say though, rogue-bladesinger is a great contender combining both +INT to damage, extra attack and full sneak attack progression with full spellcasting, ridiculous AC, skill monkeying and all that.

Hmm.. I never really thought of bladesinger6/rogue14 much for a build, but it isn't actually bad. Still think bladesinger is a shit wizard archetype design though.

>next level up he takes the level in Warlock.

Forcing someone to take a level in that class with those mechanics should be illegal.

I didn't get the impression the poster was forcing it, more than it was an attempt to trick the character into it, with the player willing.

Weird that you should say that though, I'm the one guy who pops up once every /5eg/ who actually WAS forced to take a level in Warlock.

Nah, I want to give him like some mini feats or what not, in exchange for his services.

>muh long rest casters

He definitely wants Warlock class features but doesn't know the game well enough to realize what's going on or the classes well enough to decide what he wants. He's kind of just along for the ride.

>2 spell slots.

>non-refreshing slots
>garbage cantrips
>It's a nice book you got there

>apply for a game on roll20
>guy post his char backstory in same game
>mentions how Bahamut spoke to him
>procedes to write Bahamut in every other sentence
What?

Anyone played artificer yet? Gonna try one tomorrow trying to think of interesting ways to play it.

In my next game I'm playing a Human Tempest Theurge. I was trying to come up with a backstory and I stumbled upon a group called the Lords of the Tempest in Forgotten Realms. I was going to make him a chaotic neutral servant of Talos anyway so I'm wondering if there's any lore about the group?

Other suggestions for backstories would be good as well.

How would a divine character refer to their god if they were to meet them on the physical plane?

Like, a paladin of Bahamut is approached by Bahamut taking a mortal form: what does the paladin refer to him as? Lord? Master?

Connected?

Second guy here: no connection.

Nope.

I'd fuck Bahamut up so hard.

Fuck bahamut. Fuck 'Hey, I'm an ancient being of incredible power but I can just freely be a human if I want'. Fuck his smug lawful-good ass bitchiness.

Moradin is easily a better lawful good.

Decent utility and support, but a little on the weak side overall. They end up playing like standard fighters in combat, spamming the same move over and over.

Dude likes Bahamut, what's the problem

>Be old wizard
>Bored
>Hear some faggot guy keeps going on about bahamut all the time
>Well, whatever, could be funny
>Disguise self
>'Hi, I'm bahamut'
>Guy freaks out
>Guy is forevermore telling of how he met Bahamut
>Not sure if worth it, but funny

Expect this wizard to show up later in the campaign.

Urist this is why the other races start so many fucking wars with us

A tomelock can get Shillelagh. Get a quarterstaff rf a club, use Shillelagh and you can use your CHA to hit with both GFB and Booming Blade. I don't know about double CHA to damage, though, and I don't know which one of these combos can stack.

Achh, well they can shove it up their knob gobbling arses! Point these dragon kowtowers at me and I'll hammer searing molten bronze against their scaled hides. We'll drink over their hoard gargling corpses and harvest the useful parts fet fine craft works.

Ye hear that you gold guzzling saber drakes! I'm gonna make a breastplate out of yet polished chub run thigh scales and then fuck me wife on what's left of yet hoard!

For these purposes I'm think Dwarven Clan Crafter Ranger.

Well shit, I guess that makes two of us.

That sounds like a euphemism.

>Thoughts?
That has to be part of a completely different class makeup than standard sorcerer with spellcasting. Don't be a dumbass.

>shield and quarterstaff
It's a drum, right? Kettle drum, I guess.

I think a Bard who uses chanting for spellcasting could be cool, something like an extended version of Shouts from Skyrim for longer spells or full-on ripoff of Shouts for instant cast ones.

Trouble is I know nothing about that kind of music.

If you can think of anything that would fit for references could you post it? Ideally things that have harsh sounding chanting, otherwise Gregorian Chant would fit perfectly, however most of it I know is rather "smooth" sounding

For an Undead, would you say slapping Revenant over the UA Warforged would work?

What changes would you make to it? Get rid of the +1 AC?

It's too bad they didn't make general rules for Revenant for races that don't have subraces.

What damage type is the vacuum of space? Or, any vacuum?
>bludgeoning
Because it's similar to crushing; physical force without a sharp point.
>thunder
Because it relates to air pressure, or the lack thereof.
>slashing
Because it pulls the body apart? I don't know.
>force, maybe
Is non-magical force damage even a thing?
>no type
Because resistances etc. should be decided by the DM on a case-by-case basis.
>no damage, just suffocate
Because the science of outer space doesn't belong in a fantasy campaign.

The issue very nearly came up in a campaign, but we never found out in the end. It's still been bothering me since.

Yuan-Ti Paladin

>raised by Nagas to be an upstanding guardian of peace and defender of the lowly

No damage, you just suffocate.

>DM'ing again today, grab 2nd adventure in a trilogy heavily featuring modron
>3 people have to make characters, one I got to help, as he was the owner of the place I was hosting at and was half busy with customers, this takes a full hour
>they go into the plane of Mechanus, fight immediately ensues
>monsters have AC 13, yet less than half the attacks actually connect, all five people rolling like hot garbage
>during fight, 2 people wander into the store and want to join in, w/e, but they have to make characters while fight continues, which should have ended rounds ago but again, nobody is hitting shit apparently
>meet malfunctioning modron that thinks the party is it's superiors and takes commands and follows
>a modron came to prime material plane, killed some people, lost it's arm but went back to Mechanus, go to investigate to look for him and why this is happening
>find out have to sorta-sneak into giant modron compound with 9000+ modron inside (no really, 9000+)
>find assassin, fight malfunctioning modron, assassin modron sudokus and gives a gem from it's head
>find invasion plans, run into mage and his cohorts, talk their way out of HQ (but not the complex), mage find plans are missing, sounds alarm
>have to run some gauntlet-type shit to escape, everyone makes it but some take damage
>get back to portal they came in from, it's blocked off by modron. Party injured, so I imply fight can be sorta-skipped and can just mad dash to portal.
>fighter goes down, said player died last adventure and rolled up a new character and nearly died again right there, other guy goes down in this mad dash as well but both get carried through the portal
>give out a simple magic item cause apparently there is none given out in this trilogy so wtf, it's AL material but not running AL league so I can do w/e I want and give out a +1 shortsword with some reason I just wing.
>it was still a blast for everyone, even with 7 friggin players
Probably best DM'ing session I ever done.

This. And cold or heat depending on where you are, but primarily this. Contrary to popular belief you won't explode if exposed to a vacuum you will just have the air sucked out of your lungs and suffocate.

I'd stat it as a suffocating creature that's out of breath the moment it's subject to the vacuum of space.

>it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying.

It allows a small window to save any creature caught in the vacuum but it's lethal after less than a minute of exposure. Seems about fair.

Cold damage, plus suffocation, space is near absolute zero.

What about suffocation damage?

How would that even work? If you have an idea what that would be maybe we could understand how to modify the rules.

Yeah, I meant it as my starting point for an overhaul of the class.

Space is a vacuum so the only significant heat loss you'd experience is from your own thermal radiation.
You'd suffocate long before you froze.

Doesn't exist, IIRC suffocation just drops you to 0hp and kills you a few seconds later

What's a good side quest for a 19 year old Tiefling fighter that dreams of being the greatest monster huntress alive and likes to play that she's real tough even though she's a whippersnapper?

Can someone explain the visual aspects of the fey realm? My understanding of it is that of a Neverending forest realm

It doesn't have to be music.

You can just shout at people and magic happens.

That's how I would play a bard.

I know, but you would still freeze quickly, even if by the time you were completely frozen you'd have long been dead of suffocation.

As far as mechanically goes it's just slapping the Revenant subrace on the Warforged race.

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html#Warforged
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html#Revenant

However the Revenant subrace is designed for races that have subraces to be replaced in the first place.

An Undead that doesn't need to eat or breathe seems like it'd make sense, just fluff the Warforged to be made of meat instead of metal.

It's magical Ireland and Britannia cranked up to 11.

The exact cause of death doesn't matter, I'd argue. All that matters is that exposure to the vacuum of space is thoroughly unpleasant and likely to result in your death in a matter of rounds, no matter how many hit points you've got.

Yes, that makes sense. It's just like drowning, except you can't hold your breath because it's sucked out of your lungs. Whether it's realistic or not, it's harsh but fair to the player.

This is going off-topic, but how can a vacuum have a temperature? There's no matter to conduct heat. It also seems likely that without an atmosphere, the radiation of any nearby stars would be much stronger, and hotter, than on Earth. I'm not a scientist, though.

see
's greentext.

How did it almost come up?

High Elves have a magic space elevator in my campaign, but the PC have yet to reach it. They can see it wherever they go though, it's like a Majora's Mask moon thing.

I wouldn't base a major part of the class on that because if you have more than one recharge ability the die rolling is a big waste of time. Basically limit it to one roll, even if it gives the option to recharge different abilities.

>just fluff the Warforged to be made of meat instead of metal
Okay, this was what I meant. I had no idea if you wanted a fleshy warforged or some sort of zombie warforged.

As for what to do I would say drop composite plating and living construct. So you end up with
+1 Str, +2 Con, and relentless nature. The end result is more wounds but slightly lower AC and you still technically need food and sleep which makes sense for a fleshy construct (eat meat, it reconstitutes meat lost in battle via lost blood and severed chunks of flesh).

Also you might want to drop the whole relentless nature and just keep +1 hp per turn when at half HP. Still useful but makes more sense with just being a fleshy construct as opposed to a vengeance zombie.

>you would still freeze quickly
I understand it entirely depends on where you are in relation to stellar objects. If you're shadowed by the earth, you'll freeze (eventually anyway) but if you're on the bright side you'll get one hell of a sunburn.

It's in relation to TTRPG's so, no it's not off-topic, are you a mod? board police? No? then let it be.

The radiation of stars is mostly non-thermal and doesn't heat the vacuum of space, because there is no matter or atmosphere to trap the heat, so it mostly just disappears into the void, unless you're on a planet like earth or venus.

So in summation, as a DM, I'd rule suffocation after 30 seconds to a minute and a half, maybe more depending on race, with gradual cold damage if you're saved before suffocation kills you.