EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Fuck your creatures edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic
What's your best story from when you were new to magic?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/9th_Edition/Theme_decks#Army_of_Justice
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/braids-conjurer-adept-u/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rashmi-eternal-loop-crafter/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&color= @( [U])&text= [enter] [battlefield] [when]&type= ["Creature"]&rating= >[4.0]
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/everying-stays/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

When I was a kid I once traded a Penumbra Wurm that I got from a precon for an Urborg Drake that I didn't even have a deck for because I liked the art better. Not that Penumbra Wurm was a good card anyway but that's easily the dumbest thing I've ever done.

>What's your best story from when you were new to magic?
Sorry, OP. Nobody has "good" stories from when they were new to Magic.

Tell any Funny stories you have then.

I stole this from a K-Mart to get started: mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/9th_Edition/Theme_decks#Army_of_Justice
My brother kept getting butthurt when I played Chastise on his shit. We also thought 40 cards were legal at the time. We wuz dumb.

I once jerked off in a girls milkshake when I worked at Burger King.

I guess also kind of counts as a funny story?

>shoplifted an "army of justice" deck
I appreciate the irony of this.

The people I played with convinced me that X meant any number, so they ran a deck with a bunch of fireballs.
You can see where it went from there.

Damn, that chick was lucky. I usually have to pay extra for my jizz shakes.

>be a fat loser kid
>new recruit to boy scouts
>only perspective friends play mtg
>scrounge up enough for a deck
>played grass/psychic in pokemon, insects/spellcasters in yugioh
>each intro deck in 8e is one colour so I go green, my main
>next campout, tell perspective friends I've got a deck
>dick bag kid overhears, challenges me to a game
>now's my time to shine by knocking out his pride using a precons
>he's playing vampire tribal
>trampling over his blockers is easy-peasy, but I can't block whatever he swings at me, since he flies, pretty blunt damage race.
>I functionally have 1 turn left, he has two, it's my turn's start, and I don't know how I could up my damage enough to win before he gets me.
>Draw, fake a sigh, swing out to do what I can.
>His turn, he chuckles, "You really didn't out any flyers in you deck? Haha" swings for game.
>I light up, tap 3.
>"WING SNARE!" In an unrivaledly homosexual, giddy tone. Top of my fucking ten year old lungs.
>even had a fucking lisp
>everyone breaks down laughing between my turning a game and my remarkably effeminate declaration.
>swing out and win next turn
>get called a wing snare, sometimes lisping it, for next 6 years

I got back into Magic around Kamigawa and we were playing some casual kitchen table games. He was playing killspells.dec and I was playing samurai tribal. As with any shitty game we went to like turn 30 or so and had most of our lands out. I was infuriating him because of pic related. What we didn't know at the time because the equips we used didn't have reminder text was that you can only equip at sorcery speed. So our turns would consist of him playing half a dozen kill spells and me equipping my samurai in response with Oathkeeper. I still run this card in my Toshiro for the memories.

okie
>first game of magic
>friends say i'll "learn as I go"
>be given coalgate treefolk tribal from lorwyn
>we do 6 man multiplayer
>everyone ignores me because I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing
>comes down to me and one guy who has 2 life left because someone shoved that unblockable kraken from time spiral up his ass
>but he has a huge fucking board
>and all I've got is some shitty treefolk dudes sitting around looking board
>read the cards in my hand very carefully
>"what does swampwalk do?"
>they tell me
>"So if I play this?"
>guy who loaned me the deck flips out like the crowd on a worldstar fight video
>everyone laughing and shit
>the remaining opponent looks concerned
>play urborg, and attack him with bog-strider ash
>gg no re mach
and that was the beginning of my descent into cardboard addiction.

Anyone want to help me cut 2 cards out for 2 more lands in my Braids deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/braids-conjurer-adept-u/

>Wing Snare on his turn

Fucking cheater.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rashmi-eternal-loop-crafter/

I have a generic UG Rashmi deck, but without any combo / extra turn cards.

The deck is at 100 cards, but I'm not comfortable with the land count in the deck (needs more), AND I have a pile of cards that I maybe want to run.

The cards I've been considering are in the maybeboard, I don't want all of them, but a few of them like Rhystic Study should definitely go in, but I can't decide what to take out.

Okay /edh/, I have numerous questions for you. Theoretical fun-stuff that'll probably get some discussions going.

1. Planeswalkers are now able to be your commander, carte blanche, and there are no pre-bans. Who do you build first? Who do you want to build? Who do you pray you don't see across the table from you?

2. Your playgroup wants to try something new- Legendary-Free commander. You may use any creature as your commander, but your deck may not contain a legendary anything. Who do you build first, who do you want to build, and who do you hope gets left out of the command zone?

I'd totally build a Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast deck first, and just hope no one brings a Ugin deck. As far as cards for legendariless commander, I'd totally want Soulfire Grand Master and all the cards in that cycle, Disciple of the Ring, and Skill Borrower.

You really don't have enough artifacts to justify Voltaic Key.

Thoughtcast also seems pretty mediocre.

Also, you should get a Treachery, and Winding Canyons seems perfect for your deck.

I'm also not a huge fan of Gigantoplasm.

Huh. It is a sorcery, It might've been during my main 2, targeting his one big dude. Forgive me, it's been 14 years.

Oh winding canyons is amazing and if i had a Tretchery I would run one but i don't. I'll definetly drop the Gigantoplasm since he's pretty mediocre, the voltaic key is so i can get extra mileage off of Strionic resonator or Crystal Shards which has been super useful

I'm building Ulrich Werewolf tribal. Yes, I understand it's not gonna be great.

How do I make it suck less?

By having Xenagod as your commander.

Best I got is that I tapped to block for like a full year. Fucking scumbags kept letting me do it.

Ruric Thar would work more, but assuming you want Ulrich specificly, maybe put Ruic Thar in and other effects that punish spells being played

I would change my colorless deck's commander to Ugin so goddamn fast. Or maybe even Karn. Outside that, I'd probably also build Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. The rare colorless mirror matches might suck, but there's nothing stopping me from changing to one of my Eldrazi here, so whatever, I'd be all for seeing what happens.

For legendary-free, I'd probably try and build some dumb shit Tamanoa deck, just to see if I could make it work.

Fuck's sake I just want Wolf tribal, and when I posted I knew this would be the first answer. C'mon user, you're better than that.

Smart idea. Price of Glory and Mana Barbs effects are probably good ideas. I'll see about Thar - trying to keep the deck Wolves and Werewolves. I'll probably add 5 "flex" slots because I don't want it to suck ass (my meta isn't bad enough for that tier of theme deck).

>1. Planeswalkers are now able to be your commander, carte blanche, and there are no pre-bans. Who do you build first?

I quit the format forever because it immediately and irrevocably goes to shit.

>2. Your playgroup wants to try something new- Legendary-Free commander. You may use any creature as your commander, but your deck may not contain a legendary anything. Who do you build first

This adorable little fella.

Best etb creatures in blue?

>1. All planeswalkers can now be commanders
Start a new format called Elder Dragon Highlander that uses the old rules without planeswalkers.

>2. Soulfire Grand Master infinite combo.dec, make them feel regret for making this dumb suggestion

>be me
>6 years old
>me and older bro save up allowances/bday/christmas money
>finally get to the ONE lgs that sells mtg back then
>ice age just came out
>pick up an ice age starter deck+a bunch of packs
>also some packs of the dark and a few others i dont remember
>i dont remember what bro buys
>mom drops us off at friends house
>make new deck
>me+bro+friend+his 2 bros stay up all night eating pizza and playing mtg

ice age is still my fav set i love the art and the atmosphere of the cards. polar kraken and scaled worm are my fav cards

Palinchron
Great Whale
Peregrine Drake
Gilded Drake
Diluvian Primordial
Chancellor of the Spires
Venser, Shaper Savant
Sower of Temptation

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&color= @( [U])&text= [enter] [battlefield] [when]&type= ["Creature"]&rating= >[4.0]

How does /edh/ deal with enchantments and artifacts in mono-black?

>Enchantments
Spine of Ish Sah, Scour from Existence, Oblivion Stone, and Karn
>Artifacts
Gate to Phyrexia, Phyrexian Tribute, and the four listed above.

Destroy target permanent like Argentum armor and etc:.
or maybe sac effects like smokestack?

Me and my friend were playing randoms at DoTP 2012 on Steam on Two-Headed Giant. He was playing the monored burn deck and I was playing the simic deck.

The enemy team had an elven piper on their board and my partner wanted to kill it. I told him to hold off until they used it to put a big fattie to the battllefield, which they did a turn later.

He then immediately kills their piper, and I casted Aether Mutation on the fatty, which gave me 8 plant tokens. I then casted Mass Polymorph, and the picture posted is my boardstate afterwards.

Needless to say, that was very satisfying and the enemy team even complimented the move.

riku would be better. run blue clones and copy the flipped werewolves.

I laffed, that was pretty good

For the longest time I had no idea artifacts equipped at sorcery speed either. Needless to day it was pretty embarrassing when I finally played someone who did know that.

When I first started playing there was one kid in the group of us whose dad had played for a long time. He got a bunch of old cards from his dad while we all had shitty precons from the current set and whatnot. One day the kid played a deck with Sol'kanar the Swamp King (probably specifically to fuck me over since I played black and white) and wrecked my ass all day long. I used to think that was so powerful lol.

I'd almost would rather run solvent to scour, but o-stone, karn, gate to phyrexia, smokestack, disk, ratchet bomb and powder keg are solid

So I have found I love flavor decks and decks with lots of weaker cards with effects on them. I am currently making a blue/black rogue tribal under Sygg, River Cutthroat. The problem I am running into with this deck is how do I kill my enemies reliably and more easily than sloowly pinging them down with my swarm of unblockable 1/1s? I am still kinda new to magic so deck building is something I am learning.

Buff effects in Blue/Black aren't great. Your options are basically Necropolis Regent, and a handful of others.

For finishers, you can always employ Rite of Replication and a million things to abuse it (sure, Gary isn't a rogue, but you're looking for reliability in a tribal deck, good luck with that)

Otherwise if you wanna be tricky, you could use those pingers to draw you towards real wincons (said wincons don't have to be strong, but can still be fun). I like the Spell Crumple/Spin into Myth/Hinder + Tunnel Vision combo. Very spicy.

Another that I've always wanted to try in those colors is Spy Kit + Donate (the creature the spy kit is attached to) + Eradicate. It's shitty but entertaning.

Another would be Grim Reminder + Hive Mind + any spell cast off hive mind + way to put that spell back in your library. It's absurdly jank and shitty, but one day I will deal my opponents 6 damage, and I will enjoy it! Bonus points if you can make infinite black mana, or at least absurd amounts of it - then you can just win outright!

>be total newb amongst seasoned neckbeards
>lent shitty old goblin tribal for a multiplayer
>alpha neckbeard playing sneak attack eldrazi
>systematically destroys every other player with impunity
>manage to pull out a win with goblin sparksmith because no one had paid attention to me all game

This gives me an idea.

I want to run a ton of stupid jank combos (spy kit combos being a major portion). Do I go Five-color and embrace the jank? I'm talking every combo needs at least 4-5 pieces, but a lot of them can share enablers (for example, almost every spy kit combo will involve either control elements or donating the kit'd creature).

>What's your best story from when you were new at Magic?
Alright, I think I've got one
>started playing around M13, picked up on the game fairly quickly, this happened sometime between RTR and Gatecrash
>playing with a buddy of mine who had been playing for a while then
>I had a mill deck Shut up, I was still new, and it actually wasn't bad for a mill deck and he had an infect deck
>we actually swapped decks for the hell of it
>we get into the game, and I get some good shots in and bring him to 9 poison
>he's got the mill rolling hard though, and he decks me out the turn before I can get in for the kill
>suddenly a thought pops into my head
"Wait, so I can do stuff on my upkeep, right? And that all happens before I draw?"
>"Yep."
"Okay, tap Throne of Geth, sacrifice to itself. You're at 10 poison."
>he sits there for a little bit processing what just happened
>"Huh. Good game."
>we start laughing our asses off

How did you win with a creature that only deals damage to you and a creature?

Maybe he mixed up it up with goblin sharpshooter?

There is no forgiveness in /edhg/, only Colgate.

Hey you buncha fucking faggots how do you feel about ninjuttsu. I really wish there were more than ten cards with the ability because i think its dope as fuck to use. Think it will ever come back?

I love it, it feels like it should have been U/B's keyword but with a name like that, it's not happening. If we ever go back to Kamigawa, I can see it returning, especially since it's one of the few (if only) keywords in the block people liked. As for getting back to Kamigawa, good luck on that.

I'm trying to figure out what I should cut for right of passage? Or is it not good enough considering how spare indestructibility is in my deck? I'd really love to use it, but between flavour and utility, I can't justify cutting whatever's place it'd be taking.

Anyone else get some sick loot recently? Just got back from GP Pittsburgh.

I'm trying to figure out what I should cut for Rite of Passage? Or is it not good enough considering how spare indestructibility is in my deck? I'd really love to use it, but between flavour and utility, I can't justify cutting whatever's place it'd be taking.

It's allied XP counter this year, so there's a chance. Too bad it'll be mill related instead of 5-10 new ninjas and doing fun combat tricks + ETB

Sorry im drunk, but what in the fuck does "its allied xp counter" mean?

In 2015, we got enemy colored commanders that use XP counters. Last year was 4 colors, 2014 was mono-colored, etc.

oh fuck so u/b commander hoping its ninja? Sorry bud but thatnks for explaining. I think lore and flavor wise ninjs fit u/b better than anything else, i'd fucking kill for some more ninjas.

More like GP Australia

>mfw 1v1 magic will never be as fun as this ever again

1. Tezzert the Seeker is up there, you can combo off pretty quickly with him.

2. Patron Wizard

it's gonna be faeries

I'd be okay with the fae desu

ITT: people pulling stuff out of their ass. We will only know around September what it will be.

Im not that dude, rather the drunkard speaking to them, but paying attention to patterns and making assumptions based off of those paterns =/= pulling shit out of your ass.

If the known knowledge holds any truth it will either be five colored or allied colored.

Fantastic mechanic. Not too strong, but definitely has its strengths.

Got a foil Gamble and Expedition Cinder Glade for my Wort deck, and there's a Masterpiece Static Orb in the mail for my Slobad Meme of the Month deck.

Don't they usually reveal the color theme somewhere in the summer?
But now that I'm thinking about it, aren't they going to have to repeat colors at some point? They've almost blown through everything possible.

Patterns? From a company which, looking at the past five years, clearly is testing the waters* with random bullshit products every year?

I can see your argument happen, but with WoTCs flipflopping it really is just a crapshoot at this point.

* underprinting MM1, overprinting MM2, Commander's Arsenal being followed by Conspiracy, Anthology series, etc

>blown through everything

>Commander: whynot 5c edition
>Commander: Planar edition
>Commander: Tribal edition
>Commander: weheardyoulikedPartner
>Commander: Planeswalker Boogaloo

Nowhere has the focus be specifically on colours, let alone experience counters.

>Five color
>Thinking they would ever do 5 five color decks with 2 alternate commanders per deck.

While ally colors is likely, assuming they will be experience counter based is an asspull.

Personally I hope they will just stop doing cycles so they can design what they want with fewer restrictions. Can you imagine actually getting 15 completely solid new legends this November?
Also if they don't break cycles this year it will be the next, or they start on repeats.

Don't forget spoiling Kaladesh and Commander 2016 within like 2 weeks of each other

I hope it's not zombies as there is loads of support for zombies, but it is currently the UB tribal of choice so I could see it happening.

I play casual 60 card games with my EDH group between games, it's some of the most fun I have playing. It lets me relax and play more fun decks than when I play at events. I still bring shaman tribal to FNM though. People tend to have fun when I bust it out.

I do miss the days of not constantly thinking "how would I improve this decks consistency" and "X card would be better" but I still enjoy it. It helps that I limit myself to pauper so the people newer to 60 card formats aren't getting steamrolled by my collection dating all the way back to when I started playing in Stronghold.

>shaman tribal
tell me more.

>wasn't bad for mill

The only good mill is infinite mill. Anything less isn't cutting it.

Thanks for the input. I think my best bet is just to be as toxic as fucking possible and make them helpless to me slowly cutting them to death. In my meta everybody is always too busy at different times for real edh games anyway. It should be managable in 1v1s.

This is the only card that matters for Shaman tribal.

I built a Vela Ninjutsu/Unblockable deck. It's fun and all, and I really enjoyed drawing 5+ cards a turn. The real trick is to draw those cards AND not seem like a threat. I've been targeted for the draw before "he must be up to something!" at which point I'd just play a wipe or bounce that hurt me just as badly as everyone else. If you dismantle a piece of your value engine for all to see, they stop being suspicious.

Combat damage is harder. The numbers are evident and up front. I mostly won with the deck through being a sneaky little jew (Gary or Vela + Rite of Rep, grinding value out of ETB/LTB effects, or pulling off my favorite combo of Ornithopter + Memnite + Intruder Alarm + Tradewind Ride + Vela).

The trick is finding what works for you. Blue/Black aggro is hard - it's easy to see you coming, you don't have readily accessible fast anthems, and most of your answers are either counters or board wipes (which actively fucks your gameplan).

It's hard, man. Really hard.

But man, I loved that deck. I don't know how many times I've heard "that's horseshit!" when I won after pinging everyone for 1-2 damage for 8 turns, and drew half my library while nobody viewed me as a threat, then comboing or doing something absurd.

And yet, the most salt I ever experienced was a game where I Silent-Blade Oni'd every player at the table once, and just cast little spells (cultivate and path to exile kind of stuff). The salt was biblical.

So yeah. Learn what appeals to you, I guess. Just know that U/B has a hard time with certain things, and aggro / death by cuts is one of em.

This. Mill changes a 21/40/42/80/63/120 point game to a 93/186/279 point game.

Bitterblossom and Equilibrium should help. Yes, I know they don't "work" together, but Bitterblossom gives you presence after a board wipe, and as rogues are typically cheap to cast Equilibrium will work out in your favor. You can even try to use it to return your own creatures for ETB effect abuse but at that point you're better off going with a hybrid rogue/ninja getup and using Ninjutsu for that.

Anyway, I had a tentative rogue tribal with the above two cards. Worked fairly well, though most of your power is going to come from a few select Prowl spells.

2. Druid tribal with pic related

I am eternally butthurt Tamanoa isn't legendary

>tfw my favorite MTG youtuber does a pro-tranny video ft. the only tranny general and with an intro by a tranny

I guess I should've seen this coming, since he produces those vidoes with the ugly girls and the aforementioned tranny, but still. This is almost as bad as when my favorite band started writing songs about trannies.

The Professor dun goofed. You'd think he'd know that doing a video that way would shift the focus away from the content and make it about the "personality" he hired for the terrible voice acting.

Shut the fuck up about the proffs new video. It was fucking fine and on theme for him to find a freak to voice act the freak on the card. Grow up and get out of your safespace some more.

Trying to make the mentally ill socially accepted is never okay, user.

i'm glad you enjoy being ostracized for your autism, you freaky masochist, but that doesn't mean the rest of us do

The fucking thing will kill himself in a few years after the full weight of what hes done to his body hits home like every other tranny. Just let it live its fucked up pitiful life before he blows his brains out.

And now it's happening here. Thanks, guy.

Mulldrifter is good as well.
Kek. What a retard.

Everybody knows everything I do is jank bullshit. I am public enemy no. 1. Athreos skeleton tribal with deathpits of rath, sac engines and grave pact plus the erebos flavored gravepact. My 1/1 skeletons derka derka the whole fucking place. Now they hate me.

>best story when you were new to magic

>my buds and I start playing at the same time
>all new
>buy return to ravnica starters, the 2 color 60 card ones.
>I get the rakdos one
>hard cut to 4am in the storage shed behind my parents house
>4 man magic tourney
>candlelit by old shitty candles from local thrift store
>in a storage shed with no ventilation
>with gregorian chanting blasting on stereo
>we were so new we thought elvish mystic tutored a forest and put it on the field every time he tapped

Good times, good times

You sound like one quality human being, user. I like you

>he doesn't run Alesha
hahahaha faggot. thanks for helpin me find the vid.

seems neato.

>tfw Pogobat stopped making mtg videos
I've never seen his other content but his EDH videos were entertaining.

you should message him and ask him to use a trigger warning next time faggot

Disregard Trannies, post that deck idea that you always wanted to build but have no idea how to get started on it

>Uncle Karl lifegain (without it being boring as shit)
>Adun lands matter deck with Gitrog, Borborygmos Enraged, and a million other fun things

Thank you. I just like winning with stupid things. It makes the game so much better. I was actually dissapointed in my last tribal deck, as it was treefolk. It just feels like playing creatures then tapping them.

That's unfortunately all treefolk really do - be fat and swing at appropriate times. Hardly an intricate tribe (although I'd argue most tribals are just lord buffs piled onto a big pile of swinging things).

It just feels like the only "tribes" that have any degree of interactivity are in fucking blue. I may be wrong, though.

Mtggoldfish had it as one of their budget magic series. Basically Burning Tree Emmisary, Elvish Mystic, Flamekin Harbinger, Satyr Firedrinker, and Rage Forger as the big tribal enabler.

You also run 4 Atarka's Command and 4 Lightning bolts and I run 2 Fauna Shaman.

It's basically elves but sillier. I really like it.

The mtggoldfish deck was called All In Shaman, if you'd want to see it played.

>hahahaha faggot.
Says the tranny-lover.

Yeah, they feel pretty crappy. I just like the idea of angry trees doing horrifying plant stuff. I want more expanded tribes. Mostly because I want some more fucking skeletons.