mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
A New Modern
channelfireball.com/articles/a-new-modern-with-aether-revolt/

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/5tffia/modern_reformation_lets_beginmatch_finder/
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157124759613/no-a-lot-of-people-play-modern-we-have-no-plans#notes
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=254119)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think JtMS or Preordain by themselves would be alright to unban

pls make baleful strix modern playable WOTC

>Favorite Card in Modern?
Blood Moon

>Favorite Deck
Gruul Zoo

>What could be unbanned safely?
JtMS

Baby Jace
>Favorite deck?
Infect when probe was unbanned

JTMS

is this chill dude the best ramp for blue?

Is anyone else getting a shitton of retards at their LGS talking about how Mox Opal is going to get banned/should be banned?

but user, we can't unban a 1 mana blue cantrip, that would make storm OP!

>people actually thinking that opal should be banned
I mean I can get shitposting ironically online about it since it's funny, but nobody actually believes that right?

Are they joking about it? Are they serious players?

I honestly can't tell anymore. Ever since the most recent banning fucking everywhere online and irl suddenly has people talking about x and y should/is going to get banned. First it's Tron and now it's Affinity.

Say what you will about wizards, but jesusfuck I'm so glad rebbit isn't in charge of modern.

He's the only ramp for blue AFAIK.

>Are they joking about it?
Not that guy, but humorous "ban X staple from Y deck!" arguments are staples of my FLGS.

If Reddit were in charge of bans and restrictions in Modern, there would be no format.

If the logic behind bans were "Ban the staples" then Bolt and Path would have been banned long ago

Literally the only "justification" I could see for an affinity ban, with mox opal would be affinity hasn't eaten a ban and even then that reasoning is fucking retarded. When was the last time affinity put up tourney results? Hell it's not even the card to ban from cheerios if that's what these mouthbreathers are getting rustled about, you'd ban retract since that's the engine. If this is to target Lantern, then I don't even know what to say to that. Ban a deck that's less than 1% of the meta, and one of the most unique strategies in modern, brilliant.

I mean I know most of the ban x shit on this site is just funposting, but anybody who's actually serious about an opal ban is a retard. It only works in the early stages of the game if you play a lot of low cmc artifacts, which is a serious deck building restriction and even then, it doesn't always turn on reliably in artifact decks, not to mention it's legendary and you can only run 4.

Honestly, the frequent ban philosophy is what's hurting this format the most and just serves to create an atmosphere of "X got banned, that means Y is overpowered BAN IT NOW" and the cycle would just continue until you're banning shit like bolt because it "is too versatile and keeps creatures out of the format."

Ok guys, lets say you get to ban and unban up to one card each, what are they?
>Ban Goyf
>Unban Mental Misstep

Keyword there was humorous.

>Affinity: "I scoop. Wizards needs to ban Cathartic Reunion."
>Dredge:"Ban Mox Opal!"
>Tron:"Ban Ghost Quarter!"
>Merfolk:"Ban Powerplant!"
>Zoo:"Ban Island!"

Hasn't stopped them from trying.
reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/5tffia/modern_reformation_lets_beginmatch_finder/

Ok I see your point, and you're right, it is hilarious

cathartic was actually the ban for dredge desu FREE GGT

>Single handily kills modern as a format
Anyone who ever thinks that card should be unbanned or goyf banned has no idea about the entire format

Tried out 8whack using bomat courier instead of a few one drop goblins. Works surprisingly well

People who legitimately want Mox Opal banned is an honest to god retard. Affinity has been a deck since forever and doesn't break the format like Cruise or Eldrazi winter did. Literally why is it suddenly not okay anymore?

Here are arguments I've heard about it and what I have to say to them.

>Mox Opal is fast mana and fast mana isn't okay
Yes, it is, however unlike Chrome Mox the requirements to get that mana is really demanding and forces the Mox to only ever be playable in a very small selection of decks.

>Affinity has been putting out a lot of huge top finishes as of late
Affinity is a deck that really fluctuates in viability and top 8 numbers depending on the meta and how much sideboard hate they decide to pack against affinity. It's been like that for a long while. It just happens to be that low sideboard hate period.

>Affinity is still strong and is able to have it's tier 1 status regaurdless of sideboard hate
You think that decks should literally not be able to win vs sideboard hate???

>Mox Opal will end up being a problem card later
I'm not going to say that it's never going to happen, but that doesn't justify it being banned right now. Lantern Control isn't broken, Cheerios and Eggs is still a meme deck.

Prove me wrong

>Literally the only "justification" I could see for an affinity ban, with mox opal would be affinity hasn't eaten a ban and even then that reasoning is fucking retarded.

Literally Splinter Twin ban reasoning-tier

I have a metalwork collossus. Someone targets it with a path to exile. Can I sacrifice it, and another artifact to itself to dodge the path and put it back in hand?

I have a graveyard of 1 creature, 1 instant, 1 land, 1 sorcery.
I have delirium, my one sorcery is traverse the ulvenwald.
I snap - traverse.
My question is do I still have delirium or has the traverse been exiled from the yard?

Nah. The difference between cathartic and that discard 1 draw 2 they used to run, and between GGT and the dredge 4 was is roughly equal, 1/3 effectiveness. GGT was a big late game threat but cathartic was better at digging for anti-sideboard cards. GGT was clearly the better ban given they'll keep printing cathartic level loot in standard most likely.

Are they pathing it in your graveyard?

You don't have delirium because it's on the stack when it checks, not because it's exiled. Flashback spells go from the graveyard, to the stack, to exile.

Scale of living end to treasure hunt, how viable is mono-green stompy?

Also, what the fuck happened to merfolk and elves?

Is Infect still a viable deck and if so which color combo would you suggest? I'm split between GU and GB but I want to hear what you guys think and why. Also keep in mind I 'm gonna highly budgetize it so no Noble Hierarchs and no fetches/shocks or inkmoths at least at first. (Gonna try to get by with fastlands and pain lands as well as the poor man's fetch aka terramorphic expanse and evolving wilds)

Elves die to any interaction and merfolk players go to time due to falling asleep from boredom

BG is not anywhere near UG. BG is not even a real modern deck while UG has been a contender for ages

Looks better with farscape than monoblue
>getting christmas land hand with this ramp and leyline of anticipation in the starting hand

I could see Mox Opal getting banned if the Cheerios deck ever becomes a real thing, or possibly Retract. I think they'd look at Opal first since it's a part of a lot of top decks.

I don't think they are likely to do it, but I also didn't think they'd ban Twin, so it's impossible to say.

In any case, I think we could safely unban Hypergenesis and JTMS. Living End is acceptable as a deck, I don't see any reason why Hypergenesis couldn't be as well.

I'd also remove Stoneforge Mystic from the Ban List and put Batterskull on instead, since that was the card that made it too powerful in the first place. Stoneforge unbanning would enable a lot of fun equipment strategies without Jitte and Batterskull as staple inclusions.

>Ban Island!

As a Naya player, that's really damn funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one that makes that joke

You don't need to fill your graveyard before hand so hypergensis can be faster with SSGs, and you can use the spare slots for interaction. It's also technically faster to suspend it than living end I guess.

From the nose himself: no Modern PT because it doesn't make them money.

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157124759613/no-a-lot-of-people-play-modern-we-have-no-plans#notes

would this card see modern play?

maybe a couple in the side as additional EE and goyf tech

I don't know shit about BGx, but I appreciate that you didn't link a stupid custom card

Probably not, its less efficient than EE for cmc 5 or less

I could definitely see BGx sideboarding this for bant eldrazi/eldrazi tron while also being decent to bring in against affinity.

seems insane against infect, affinity since it even hits ink/blinkmoths

what about BG tron?

It's legacy playable, so provided the spice is right god yes

nicfit bois

Tron's non-mana intensive interaction can cost 2 max, with 3 you're already hardcasting Oblivion Stone or fetching your last Tron piece.

That cape almost looks like a pool of blood.

I don't understand , Knight + Retreat allows you to grow the Knight until its huge but I feel like I'm missing something.

Not that guy, but fetch gives you two triggers off Retreat so you can tap down blockers/gain mana while growing him during the combo, with seriji steppe as tech

The argument for Mox opal, however stupid it may be, is more that it enables relatively consistent turn 2 and 3 kills out of the Puresteel Paladin Cheerios deck now that Sram has been printed. The issue with the deck is that takes time to go off where one person is more or less playing solitaire, and if there is an experienced pilot running the deck then it is actually quite good. Other than that one deck, there is absolutely no reason to even think about banning it. Affinity works as a check on the format, by not allowing people to be too slow or durdley, lest they get their shit beat in by an affinity deck. Same as how infect was similar before the probe ban.

snapcaster____mage

Ugin, The Spirit Dragon (The combination of him and Ulamog the ceaseless hunger and world breaker has turned GX Tron into an exile everything deck).

Karn Liberated (Very close second)

>Favorite Deck
GB Tron

Preordain.
Seriously Green has a better can trip in ancient stirrings than blue has. Why can't blue have an upgraded serum visions?

I think the most interesting part is that the entire /reddit/ post is a shitstorm, if they were anons, it would be pasta. I can barely believe some people would actually "agree" with that disgrace. It would completely ruin modern as we know.
And the hilarious part is " I realize this isn't perfect." which basically means "It's good but with flaws", but his post doesn't have any flaws. The post is the flaw, it's hard to have flaws in to an already existing flaw.

Cheerios could just replace it with ssg, the engine behind the deck is retract and based on wizards previous bannings that would be the most likely candidate, especially since it can be replaced by hurkyll's recall. Banning opal just hurts the other decks that use opal and does nothing to hurt cheerios so it would be pointless ban.

I wanted to ask something about "tap target creature, it doesn't untap during it's owners next untap phase". I was playing Niblis of Frost against a friend who had some ludicrously powerful eldrazi monster. I cast an instant and tapped it on one turn using Niblis of Frost, then on my next turn I cast another instant and did it again. He said that's not legal because it says "tap target creature and it doesn't untap during its owner's next untap phase", I couldn't just make it so it wouldn't untap again next turn using Niblis of Frost. Is he right or is he being a whiny autist because he didn't want his creature permanently tapped?

wrong thread friendo

Wrong thread but you were right. As long as you can produce an instant or sorcery every turn you can keep it permanently tapped.

Take a lot at the spell Sleep (gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=254119) that has a simillar effect. The ruling there says sleep works even if a target is already tapped.

To add to this, the reason why it can target tapped stuff is because it says "tap target creature" and not "tap target untapped creature".

Are you guys still playing a dying format?

Anyone planning on cashing out?

You don't have nearly enough targets for four snaps

But I already cashed out of legacy

Nice trips senpai, but Modern isn't dying anytime.

BUT user!

DIDN'T YOU HEAR?

MOX OPAL IS STRICTLY, I REPEAT, STRICTLY BETTER THAN OG MOXEN!

WE CAN'T HAVE THAT IN MODERN!

>Affinity hasn't eaten a ban
What the fuck in good God's Earth are Artifact Lands?

>Guys! Guys! X format is dying!
Why do such people still exist? It's been over 20 years... They just don't disappear...

Those were banned from the start though

I cannot explain what I would do to a man if WotC was willing to trade me a Baleful Strix reprint in amonkek

>fav card
spell stutter sprite

>fav deck
living end is pretty cool

>unban?
punishing fire, mental misstep, ponder

I love that people do not understand how powerful Mental Misstep is...
>unban ponder, but keep preordain banned
You're a troll or a moron, not sure which.

>fav card
Remand as far as modern goes.

>fav deck
Storm

>unban?
seething song or rite of flame, either one will do.

>mental misstep
>actually wanting mm wars in every deck
There's talk of restricting the card in vintage since having counter wars boil down to who has more mm is boring and unfun. That card was an actual mistake to print.

Yeah my friend is prime autism then. He also put a tap next to our pile of cards we were drafting from the wrong way around so the next person who walked into the kitchen turned the tap on and immediately flooded the counter, drowning a few commons in the process.

>Mental Misstep

>mental misstep

Have you ever played with this card?

i know exactly how powerful it is and until you can add a draw a card clause to it I don't care

I like ponder better as an unban because it'd be more fun, what's ur huff m8?

This is the exact reason I want it unbanned.

This is the exact reason it's never coming off.

Because it's no fun and everyone knows it's broken? Idiot

Kiln Fiend

>Favorite deck?
Orchard combo.

Glimpse of nature, preordain/ponder :^)

>Guys, Affinity is tier 0, we should ban Mox Opal asap!
>Lets unban Glimpse
Modern community at it's finest, everyone.

>immediate mox oppal defender runs in to spew some bullshit about two unrelated cards
I want Mox Oppal banned just to spite retarded mouthbreathers like you

You're the idiot if you don't see how Glimpse would make affinity broken.

>I want mox opal banned
>calls other people retarded mouthbreathers
The ironing

I didn't bother reading any of it in detail, just saw that in unbanned Jace and Jitte. How bad is the rest?

Opal makes more sense on the banlist than Twin desu. I don't mean that I think it should be banned, but it's very possible that it will be.

If wizards were to ban opal it would require reasoning that would make the twin ban look necessary. Before you bring up cheerios as a reason, wizards bans the engine from combo decks and last time I checked retract was the main engine behind that deck and has a slightly worse replacement to keep the deck alive. I mean what other reason is there to ban it? It hurts 3 decks at most 2 of which aren't considered problematic by anyone, not to mention the card has such narrow application tied on to it.
Honestly, if wizards is going to take away more modern events they should fuck off from the banlist like they said they would unless it's absolutely necessary, like eldrazi or DTT/Cruise.

worse, specially when he shows the ban-criteria.

>Modern General

But, isn't Modern dead with WotC's recent announcements?

Except they can also just ban Retract or Storm wincons to neuter the deck, and not affect a Modern staple at all.

You're pretty sad dude. Every day with this weak bait and cringy cartoon images

>I'll take Extended for $500 Alex

The ban criteria was the only thing I moderately agreed with, though.

>ban for breaking turn 4 rule
Already a thing.

>Ban for Meta %

>If any deck holds a 20% or greater meta share for more than a month, something from that deck will be banned

Is a sound idea, but it should be closer to 33% for 6- 9 months (to allow the meta to adjust.) One month is too fast .

Do all you cry babies get raped by affinity or what?

Such a clever and insightful response!

(You)

Nature's Claim never kept Affinity down m8

get good and win faster m9

>That card was an actual mistake to print.

I guess you could say the Dev team had a... mental... misstep?

If you wanna play Extended, right now Frontier is exactly the same what Extended would be - if it stayed :').

But seriously, with Modern Masters netting them tons of money, besides other products and a very easy way for R&D to influence Modern too for sales if they feel like it - it's not going anywhere.

Too great of a cash cow.

Not that we get raped by it, it's just feels really unfair when they get to play cards like Opal, which are strictly better than most of Power 9, while the rest of the field is stuck with fair cards and have to rely on sideboard to fight them.

Just not fun, really.

Why don't they just print a bunch of staples in MMA, some really expesive, others not too expensive, and raise the price of boxes by like 50 bucks?

That way, they can just rotate through staples each year and continually make a fuck ton of money.

And don't say "muh draft experience," because I don't know a single soul that either enjoys nor looks forward to drafting MMA

Just shut the fuck up already. I don't even play affinity anymore but Jesus christ, it's fine.
Affinity dies to removal and is nowhere near oppressive. I can just tell you're fucking trash at this game. Stop

Because having few staples at Mythic and rest - shit gives them more sales.

Why? Because they are dependent on 2ndary market ordering most of their product and opening 50%+ of that product to sell singles to the crowd, keeping 20-30% of it as "investment" and dropping the rest for randoms to "draft" in their shops.

"Draft environment" is just an excuse to print shit in the rest of the slots and not to print too many "bombs" for that very same reason I just wrote.

They can't have entire set be full of staples, because it will lead to lower sales and no real way to make a "2nd print run" for even more profit.

Why? Because the more a card gets reprinted, the more it drops in price, especially staples and experience from very first MM showed that it impacts 2ndary market too much and takes too long of a time to absorb even in smaller print runs.

They don't give a fuck about 5% of their product that will be drafted, they care about the overall sales, but there's no way PR can say such shit openly as players (on which 2ndary market is dependent) would get enraged.

>dies to removal
And I'm the scrub here? How is it fair for 1 deck to have top tier Vintage cards and for others - nothing?