Jewish Astartes

What do you think, Veeky Forums?
If a Jewish Space Marine Chapter existed.
(i.e a homebrew chapter that followed the principles of the beliefs of Judaism and treated the enemies of mankind as one would within the following) would you play it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=08XWA8zpvT4
warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Covenant
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Regular ol Jews, not really. Maybe something like the giants of Gath and Hinnom in Dominions though.

WAT

Guessing the chaplains are Rabbi's?

Gath, Hinnom and some third one are playable nations in Dominions 3 and onward. They're a race of nephilim giants who eat men and keep them as slaves, inspired by Jewish mythology about the antediluvian world. I could see a Blood Angels sucessor chapter who are abnormally tall and have horns, ruled by kaballistic priest-kings influenced by the local permutation of the imperial cult.

I made a certain chapter that would love to put your chapter in an easy bake

>principles of the beliefs of Judaism
It'd certainly be interesting.

Jewish lack a warrior culture unless you count Israel, which is more of a Soldier culture and doesn't fit with the Astartes as much as they would the Imperial Guard, but the situation is rather hard to translate to 40k due to the type of cold war going on being something that would quickly turn hot in 40k.

Best guess I could say is focus on the original Golem stuff.

I'm just going to get the obligatory 'back to /pol/' out of the way.

That said, quite a few of the ideas in here already have the potential to be something good. Looking forward to how this develops.

I know creator of this thread. We have no association to Pol since we are both Jewish. No shape or form did this connect to /pol/.

Also it could be the thats challenge of the chapter. They hunt a mythical creature that is the golem.

Or... an offshoot of Techmarines with an emphasis on Dreadnoughts and Servitors.

Maybe something like they don't believe the emperor to be divine? Severely reduced in number from a large threat a couple hundred years ago, now they're a bunch of scattered crusade fleets. They could have a series of hand written texts that the inquisition doesn't like thogh they date back from before the heresy.

That sound cool?

>be me, spess mehreen of the Emperor's Chosen Chapter
>home world covered in toxic gases
>mfw

Also they'd like follow a pre chapter break up organization. With High standards for the lineages and training of their troops.

>homebrew

Don't you mean Hebrew?

...we're just going to create some kind of hated Krieg Marines chapter now, aren't we?

So kind of like Thousand Sons, but their marines are filled with clay.

Go away /pol/

That... That sounds awesome.

I like the idea.

Jew here. My recommendation is to make them Word Bearer loyalist successors, since it'd be a good way to focus on how their views on the Imperial Cult is unique/unusual.

Literally everything on this list is out of context, mistranslated, or obviously false. Anyone want me to go through it one by one, or is that too off-topic for Veeky Forums?

Honestly I am ok with them being Word Bearer Loyalist.

No, just report it and don't start an argument or debate please. We've all seen the counter image that takes apart all of the quotes one by one

That's literally what he wants is attention so just report him and hide his post

Once the OP is made, nothing is too off-topic for Veeky Forums, except the "Rolling For Waifus" image. Mods delete that because it's used to derail threads without adding any content or discussion.

I want a Monstergirls version.

>We've all seen the counter image
I actually haven't. Could you link it?

There's a bit more of a warrior focus if you look back to ancient Judea, though. And if you're looking for warrior monks, then you'll find no better examples than King Solomon's Kabbalists.

Alrighty lets start with the chapter generation.
Some basic things should just be in order. The planets a death world (IE think tellaran desert spaces with more monster based of jew folk lore). Also that the chapter goes off hunt tradition where find the brothers who didnt survive the implantation and mutated in Clay like Husks that stalk the wastes of planet.

Waaaahhhh
Waahhhhhh

I feel like there should be a Mel Brooks reference in this thread.

Non-jew here.

I've met very few Jews and know little about them that doesn't come from American TV Shows, and that Ashkenazi Jews have a staggeringly impressive average IQ of 115.

I'd be interested in seeing that counterpoint.

Guessing from that means they have a lot of Tech Marines who follow a version of ADMECH religion that is more open to advancement.

Since OP just went to sleep. I was skyping with him. Imma take over. So to what I have seen. One guy suggest death world. Golems are what they hunt as trial before they get augments. And a large focus on Tech marines due to the cultures tendency to strive for high intelligence.

No no, I mean the counter-image to the anti-jew shitposter. I was seconding the request, if anybody has it.

Sounds kinda like Black Dragons, but they're salamanders successors.

WELP. Ill make a thread tomorrow about creating this Chapter or guard regiment. So ill just watch this thread and see what general consensus is tomorrow.

Personally I'm liking the nephilim angle.

Look up Hasidic ideas.

>believe that God is infinitely more powerful than Chaos (having dominion over the whole universe and not just one galaxy)
>work with that one subfaction of the Inquisition to bring the emperor back
>librarians are ritually made into blanks and are capable of manipulating their blankness in the same vein as psykers manipulate the warp
>they believe the warp separates them from God, and if they can destroy or weaken it, God will be able to return to help the Milky Way
>see the Emperor as the messiah and want to bring him to life again

>nephilim angle
I personally like it. But Imma go off what everyone generally thinks about it.

I'd play them.

Honestly reading a bit more into Nephilim honestly would fit astartes. IE this "There were giants in the earth in those days". Generally it isnt unlikely for the original chapter to be considered GIANTS. The chapter adopted a more different revision of Nephillim story's. So marines are reincarnation of there old story's.

I posted that and I haven't seen it, would be interested because the whole thing is muddled between both parties accusing the other of intentional mistranslations, I'd like to know the truth. But also suspicious because:
>The Talmudic position concerning deception of Gentiles is embodied in the Halachic dictum, "It is permitted to deceive a goy (Gentile)."
and of course the many quotes from Israeli rabbis who deliver the same readings of the Talmud in their sermons.

>any political opinions I don't like is /pol/

Are Jews allowed to do buttsex? Because that's what Asstarts are for.

WELP. Chats clearly derailing into people arguing. The topic was about a space legion being based of Jewish culture.

>Rabbi Ovadia Yoseph
That explains everything. The only people who listen to him are the ultra-orthodox oven dodgers. Fuck him and the parasites that support him.

You were expecting there NOT to be shitposting?

You're either a colossal fucking retard or only just arrived on this board five minutes ago.

>jews
>actually fighting

youtube.com/watch?v=08XWA8zpvT4

Jews don't fight. They're merchants and con artists

I expected it. Just not as much. But hey Expectations are 9 out of times incorrect.

By my expectations this thread is rather tame.

In all honestly looking over other threads. I see what you mean by tame. So I guess I retract my previous statement.

The Marines would be the Sicarii. There would be an interesting relationship between the Empire and the local planet. This would be a situation that mirrors the Jewish-Roman wars, where the Romans/Empire conquer the kingdom (blow up the government from orbit) and then rule it harshly, deporting the local psykers. I would have this: The Empire deports children of significant talent (esp psykers) and educates them in the Schola Progenium, then returns them as the Imperial Guard. The best of them are recruited as Marines - known as the Sicarii (a joke as that is what the local assassins were called). The Marines have a high number of psykers (mysticism!) but are kept loyal by being taken from their planet at a young age. The Empire would be smart enough to make sure that the Sicarii never return home... but what if one did...?

In real life the locals resisted the Romans through assassins known as the Sicarii, which is too cool to ignore. They are much like the later assassins in that they blend in with the crowd and then lash out with knives to (hopefully) disappear back into the crowd.

They also launched two huge and a lot of smaller revolts, one of which took almost a third of the Roman army under Hadrian to put down. They could fight when it came to it.

I'd imagine that the Sicarii would be watched fairly closely. But they are marines and I think a core of them might have worked out what happened. They aren't going to rebel outright but I imagine there is a small group of them who operate through agents to keep an eye on Imperial excesses. They are playing a dangerous game.

>The Talmudic position concerning deception of Gentiles is embodied in the Halachic dictum, "It is permitted to deceive a goy (Gentile)."

I just checked that section and the statement is said to be merely the view of one Rabbi, and appears to be intended to only apply in legal judgments (or perhaps specifically questions of tax collection? not sure) between a Jew and a Gentile where the situation cannot be resolved using either Jewish or Gentile law. And the Gamera then goes on to pretty much reject that view anyway before ruling that stealing and such from Gentiles is still forbidden and that Jews should obey all the laws of the land they reside in. That quote is completely taken out of context.

>and of course the many quotes from Israeli rabbis who deliver the same readings of the Talmud in their sermons.
Just because some priests say that all atheists are baby-eating devil worshipers and uses quotes from the bible to justify themselves doesn't mean the bible actually says so. There's crazy extremists and zealots in every religion and even the Devil can quote bible to his own ends. Context is important, especially when it comes to something that has been studied for as long and in such depth as the Bible or Talmud.

I'd say the Sicarii would be fleet based with a lot of extra Imperial staff to keep an eye on them. They would be heavy on Librarians and mysticism, but being mobile I'd say they would favor quick strikes and infiltration. They would have an armored unit, which in honor of the merkava tank would be slow and heavy, the anvil to the quicker hammer component.

Honestly I love this idea and mix it with some of the earlier suggestions and it would work pretty well.
Generally that should be assumed.

That's super cool and all, but that's about as Anti-Astarte as you get, of all their varied possible skills blending into the crowd is not one of them.

This sets them up to rebel against the Empire however. If the Schola Progenium and Marines get together and compare notes... there will be trouble. And the Empire is a fascist dictatorship with a line in fancy uniforms and marching with banners...

Yeah the Marines are NOT the actual Sicarii... but I see a parallel with the Marine scouts and it would be a sick in-joke for the Empire to call them that.

God dammit you just gave me a hook for a dark heresy and a really good idea. But you as well do bring a good point on how they would clash with other imperial organisations.

I just started reading about the Roman occupation of Judea. There is a lot of good stuff in there to be mined for 40K.

Well depends on the type of Jew, because there are many forms of Judaism. Personally I'll Roll with an amalgamation.

> History of getting blown to fucking bits, numbers being wiped then getting back up
> Savagery and Mercilessness on the battlefield to the point of excess
> Using special Imperial decrees to do what other chapters can't or will not do to get the job done
> Basis on Golems and Nephilin types for chapter heavy hitters, or perhaps mystics
> Claim direct covenant with the Emperor of Mankind, but willing to disregard Imperial authorities as they believe them to be lesser
> Chapter master has a history of using Chaos Relics but hates the ever loving fuck out of the gods themselves
> Said chapter master also wrestled Gabriel Angelos for a week because he wanted his blessings

I'll admit it could be pretty rad if done right.

INEVITABLE /POL/ ASIDE

Ancient Israelites absolutely did have a warrior culture, which often revolving around guerilla warfare and miracles (aka PYSKERS)

I suggest DA successors, call them The Judges or Keepers of the Covenant. Have them be tacticool as fuck, give them a elite corps of scout/stealth Marines called the Sicarii. One of their leaders should be named Maccabeus and have a giant thunder hammer

These Marines use stealth, guile, and guerilla tactics to wage war in areas of the Imperium captured by their enemies, such as Orks or Tau, who inspire and organize the Populace to take up arms against their oppressors and the enemies of the Emperor. They consider themselves the keeper of the sacred covenant between emperor and man, that of security and safety in exchange for vigilance and obedience.

The Sicarii should be a combination of veteran scouts and assault Marines who borrow equipment and tactics from the Ravenguard, and make use of power claws and muffled armor. Their tactical Marines should be trained to cooperate with and lead IG and PDF remnants as well as adhoc militia and civilian rabble.

Pysker Powers include Smite, Hellfire, and Might of Heroes

i am alpharius

The Jewish revolt occurred during the height of Roman power and gave Rome the hardest fight they had had in a century. Before that you have Judah Macabee and his army, who were some hardcore motherfuckers that drove the Persians out of Israel using guerrilla warfare. Before that you had David and Saul who were both warrior-kings. And before that you have the original settlement of Israel, which the Jews did by beating the shit out of everybody else there. Jews had a pretty good warrior tradition before they were exiled.

Their dreadnaughts are called the Golan, and are highly venerated, each covered in prayer seals written in the sacred language. Unique among chapters, each of their Golam is considered to have a specific purpose or mission, which the pilot adopts as his purpose when he is interred in the dreadnaught. Each of these purposes is referred to as a Covenant, and the book of covenants functions similarly to the Dwarven book of grudges in WHFB. Very few Golam ever successfully retire, as they are usually mighty requirements of the covenant, such as driving out all Ork kind from a particular star system for a thousand years, or destroying particular daemons or forces of Chaos.

WELP. My brain just DIED. At the speed of light. The staggering amounts of Ideas would be amazing for an amalgamation of a chapter. I like Sicarii Veteran ideas particularity. And the warrior culture being based of some old jewish folk lore.
Also this is also amazing.

Imma get some sleep. Ill let someone else take over for now. Way to tired.

So if we include golem soldiers should they be rank and file disposable marines, or big heavy hitters like terminators. Personally I like the latter because a clay terminator xould get half its torso blown off and still keep fighting, they feel no pain, know no fear, and obey orders with no will of their own.

This is legit. You're pretty cool.

During the rebellion against Rome if I recall correctly the Romans spent two years on a siege of a Jewish city, only to discover the inhabitants had killed themselves to spite the Romans. Some hardcore shit.

That would be Masada.

>ancient warrior race
>Esoteric and complicated religion predates Christianity
>Oppressed and drvien out by Christians and the Romans
>Consider themselves the chosen people
>Fight like vicious sneaky bastards using stealth of guerilla war
> Have ancient warriors made of stone imbued with life by ancient divine secrets
>Loyal to their own race above all others

Nah senpai. Jews aren't space Marines.

Jews are Eldar. We should be designing a craft world.

The chapter Librarian and Epistletary are merged, with special non-pykser aides on hand to monitor the librarians themselves, referred to as Pharisees, for signs of warp taint. Pharisees are both the spiritual and secular source of scholarship in the chapter, a mixture of holy men and record keeper whose task it is to keep track of the many covenants of the chapter as well as see to their battlebrothers spiritual and pyscological well being. One fairly well known and frequently frustrating trait of the Pharisee is their tendency to answer all questions with another question, as they see it as their job to guide their brothers to reach their own conclusions and study the covenants themselves, though they can always be expected to have a bit of relevant scripture from the book of covenants or the codices Astartes in mind for any situation

Worth noting that Guardians of the Covenant is an actual canon DA successors who could be co-opted for this as beyond a few details (which mostly match) not much is known about them. Alternatively the name could be changed. Anyway more ideas

The chapters first company is, in the style of most, the elite strike force of the Chapter. Colloquially called the Maqabim, after legendary chapter master Maqabes as well as the thunder hammers ( Maqabe meaning hammer in the ancient dialect of the chapter) their assault terminators make use of, the Maqabes are famous for single handedly reclaiming the Hasmon system from seperatists and heresy in a protracted guerilla war that saw the company making use of loyalist elements of PDF and Sororitas to exact lightning strikes against key targets. The populace was successfully recruited through a combination of charismatic daring and their religious practices converted, by force where necessary, returning Imperial worship to the planetary cluster. This forged an enduring alliance between the Chapter and the Sororitas who see them as a rare group of space Marines who give credence and importance to spiritual matters and faith in the Emperor

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Covenant

>Their adopted homeworld, Mortikah VII, lies near the western rim of the Imperium, and their mountain-top Fortress-Monastery takes the form of a mighty Imperial cathedral, its great spire piercing the clouds.

>True warrior-monks of the Emperor, the Guardians of the Covenant are assiduous in studying the teachings of the Emperor and of their Primarch. Their banners, armour and the flanks of their vehicles are covered in spidery, handwritten and illuminated High Gothic text extracted from the pages of the Codex Astartes, the Requiem Angelis and many other tomes held sacred by the Adeptus Astartes.

>Not much is known of the Chapter's combat doctrines, although by all accounts they seem to be a Chapter that shows a great deal more care for the common citizens under their protection than their parent Chapter.

>The lifestyle and doctrines of the Guardians of the Covenant are even more monastic in nature than is normal for a Chapter of the Astartes. The Battle-Brothers of the Chapter devote as much time to intellectual study and the scholarly arts as they do to training for battle. They maintain scriptoriums in their Fortress-Monastery where every Astartes of the Guardians of the Covenant is expected to spend time learning as well as aiding the Chapter in the creation of illuminated manuscripts of sacred Imperial knowledge. Because of their respect for learning and the dissemination of knowledge, the Chapter is known to have close ties with certain elements of the Adeptus Mechanicus in their region of the galaxy and often gains access to stores of more advanced equipment and Imperial technology as a result.

>Among the archives and data-stacks of the Chapter's Fortress-Monastery on Mortikah VII is a massive data-tome known as the Record of Oblivion which contains a record of other civilisations brought down by the Imperium's might.

The Guardians of the Covenant's Power Armour is a dark silver with black shoulder plates. A black-coloured Aquila or Imperialis is worn on the chest guard. The red-coloured squad specialty symbol (Tactical, Assault, Devastator, or Veteran) is indicated on the right shoulder guard whilst the Chapter iconography is painted on the left shoulder guard. Squad designation is indicated by a white-coloured Gothic numeral stenciled on the center of the squad specialty symbol. Company colours are designated on the right knee guard.

EXTERMINATUS

Like their parent Chapter and fellow Unforgiven, Guardians of the Covenant are commonly found wearing crimson-coloured hooded cloaks and tabards; with the veterans, this symbolises their shame over what the Fallen Angels had done near the end of the Great Crusade. Cloaks and hoods are worn by all ranks, but the Veteran Guardians of the Covenant and the Chapter's Inner Circle are most commonly seen wearing the crimson cloth, because they have learned enough about the Dark Angels Legion's history, and thus their shame, prior to obtaining their rank within the Chapter.

Are they the chapter who's mothers are always calling up to ask why they haven't gotten real jobs yet?

If we use The Sororitas can be their nagging Jew moms

All I want to know is if the chapter has perfected the Pastrami sandwhich. Would Tyranid meat be considered kosher?

Or you know dreadnaughts, that works too.
Probably not for the same reason shellfish and other bottom feeders aren't. Filthy things the Tyranid.

Yeah that's most likely Masada. It was one of the last bastions of the Sicarii after the fall of Jerusalem and destruction of the second temple. They held out against an entire legion for several months by collecting rainwater in reservoirs dug into the mountain.

Eventually the Romans got so fed up they decided to build a mountain sized ramp in order to get up to the fortress. When they finally broke down the doors they found most of the buildings on fire and that almost all of the inhabitants had committed suicide.

>Word Bearer Loyalists
>Quite literally the only legion with no loyal elements

Complete with those unmistakable accents that is heard among Jewish people? You know? That accent you hear coming from Jewish People in media.

>"Jews in space !' Soon in History of the world : part 2

One of the most famous campaigns of the Guardians of the Covenant involves the sacking of the recidivist bastion of Jericho's Reach, a highly militarized hive city whose walls were said to be impregnable. Elements of the Imperial Guard and other loyalist forces gathered during the Chapters campaign sat outside shelling the city and blasting imperial hymns on laud hailers for seven days, but lacked the manpower or the heavy weaponry to take the city, which could theoretically have survived in a siege indefinitely or until reinforcements arrived to relieve it, driving Imperial forces off.

However, on the seventh day, after a week of this sustained light bombardment, a critical fractures suddenly appeared within the cities adamantine walls at key points, causing abruot catastrophic failure of the walls and the majority of the Jerichan defense systems.

The Sicarii, working with sympathetic elements in the hive undercity - an imperial missionary named Rahab who had become trapped in the undercity when recidivists had siezed control and remained in hiding for years - infiltrated Jericho's reach and placed melta bombs at key junctions and power conduits in the Jerichan defense network over the course of a weak, using the underhive and sewer network to move about unseen. At the appointed time they detonated these charges, throwing the cities defenses into complete disarray.

For their resistance to Imperial Rule, all six million souls, down to the last man woman and child, were slaughtered in a brutal and efficient extermination campaign that took the remainder of the year to complete. The only survivors were Rahab and her sisters, who were permitted to build a mission in the ruins of the city to administer to the new settlers who would be relocated to the now derelict hive after it was repaired.

Here's an idea. Jewish ancestry is matrilineal. Since they have such a special relationship to the Sororitas, maybe there's a special chapter of the Famulous dedicated entirely to seeking out potential recruits for the Chapter, by tracking specific genetic traits as well as visiting savage and war torn worlds on missions work?

So each marine quite literally does have a "mother" ( or an organization of mothers) who often maintain contact with them during their careers?

The High Crusade, by Poul Anderson.

I'm getting Bene Gesserit vibes.

Huh, are there Sororitas Pyskers?

Cause that would be badass as fuck

The Mothers of the Lost
A Famulous Order with a small militant wing to protect its sisters in the field, the Mothers of the Lost are an organization dedicated to finding homes for the billions of human children orphaned by war and strife within the Imperium. These benevolent if strict sisters take in, feed, clothe, and educate if necessary those it takes in before conferring them to more permanent homes, either in the scholarship progenium o the sisterhood itself. A small, select group of genetically and personality compatible group they reserve however and send to the Keepers of the Covenant to serve as recruits and aspirants for the Chapter. The Chapter lends it's protection and assistance to the sisterhood in kind for this aid, and the two have formed a symbiotic relationship.

Jews as merchants is a more recent development.

Go back far enough and they're a tribal warrior society like many others.

I wonder if posting on this thread late at night before I sleep will give me Jewish dreams.

Actually, Hebrew culture (that is, the people who conquered Canaan) and early Jewish culture (i.e. pre-diaspora) were surprisingly warlike. They had a rather developed "death in the name of God is righteous" philosophy, a deep, religious hatred for members of other religions rooted in a sense of cosmological superiority (that is unlike many other peoples in the ancient Middle East, who were actually fairly tolerant since if you're willing to acknowledge the existence of an infinite number of gods, no reason to assume the other guy's gods are just as legitimate...) and a renown for tenacity in battle.

Also, something something Rome needed two legions to quell their rebellion.

Would they have a Chapter hero based Judah Maccabeus, complete with a relic warhammer?

Just like in the Soviet Union, Die Juden would mostly wyrm themselves into higher positions like the commisars. Perhaps also rogue traders.

>Astartes
>commissars and rogue traders
your reading comprehension is lacking